Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,583 members, 7,827,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:21 AM

Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations (1874 Views)

I Suck Puzi Yesterday See How It Taste / Most Nigerian Women Suck At Dates / I Have No Talent Or Job But I Suck D*cks Very Well , Nigerian Lady Post On Twitt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 6:55pm On Jul 10, 2019
I gotta admit, punctuation marks is my biggest problem in English
Please I have created this thread for you to help me
Please serious replies only
Comma, colon, semi colon and the like

Thank you very much

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by frankkydee(m): 6:56pm On Jul 10, 2019
Preciousgirl:
I gotta admit, punctuation marks is my biggest problem in English
Please I have created this thread for you to help me
Please serious replies only

Thank you very much

Ok, your problems are over now

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by wahles(m): 7:05pm On Jul 10, 2019
I gotta admit, punctuation marks is my biggest problem in English.
Please, I have created this thread for you to help me.
Please, serious replies only.

Thank you very much

Let us add the (.) and (,) grin .
Open to corrections myself
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 7:16pm On Jul 10, 2019
frankkydee:

Ok, your problems are over now

I will be grateful
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by GuestLog: 7:22pm On Jul 10, 2019
wahles:
I gotta I've got to admit, punctuation marks is are my biggest problem in English.
Please, I have created this thread for you to help me.
Please, serious replies only.
Comma, colon, semi colon and the like likes.

Thank you very much

Let us add the (.) and (,) grin .
Open to corrections myself
grin
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by wahles(m): 7:41pm On Jul 10, 2019
GuestLog:
grin
lols ! I was focusing on the punctuations, my bad. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 8:15pm On Jul 10, 2019
GuestLog:
grin

Thanks very much dear

But I am sure that like you corrected is right, it is the like and not the likes.
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 10, 2019
▪At the end of every sentence, put a fullstop/period (.)
▪Take note of every slight pause when you speak. That's where your comma (,) falls.
▪Expressing shock/Surprise/Excitement? Use the exclamation mark (!)
▪Want to quote someone? Use quotation marks ("..." )
▪After asking a question, follow with the question mark (?)
▪Use colon to connect two clauses. Most times the first clause in this case is a broad topic for the second.
Example;
There are two genders: Male and female
▪Also use colon for detailing/explanations.
Example
NOUN:
A noun is.......
▪Semicolon is used to link two sentences. In this case, each could be independent sentences but they would appear choppy. So using a semicolon connects them without making one long boring sentence.

I hope you find this helpful.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by GuestLog: 8:40pm On Jul 10, 2019
Preciousgirl:

Thanks very much dear

But I am sure that like you corrected is right, it is the like and not the likes.
I appreciate the correction. I've just looked it up

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 9:25pm On Jul 10, 2019
ariketalks:

▪At the end of every sentence, put a fullstop/period (.)
▪Take note of every slight pause when you speak. That's where your comma (,) falls.
▪Expressing shock/Surprise/Excitement? Use the exclamation mark (!)
▪Want to quote someone? Use quotation marks ("..." )
▪After asking a question, follow with the question mark (?)
▪Use colon to connect two clauses. Most times the first clause in this case is a broad topic for the second.

▪Also use colon for detailing/explanations.

▪Semicolon is used to link two sentences. In this case, each could be independent sentences but they would appear choppy. So using a semicolon connects them without making one long boring sentence.

I hope you find this helpful.

In other words semicolon is like and?
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Bestboy11513(m): 12:23am On Jul 11, 2019
A semi colon is used to separate two complete sentences that are closely related. They are not used to link/connect.

The conjunction "and" is often misused, try to use it only when expressing two elements to be taken together or in addition to each other. it's not the same thing as a semi colon

Example:
She is ugly; her sister works with me.✓
She is ugly and her sister works with me X

4 Likes

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Nobody: 6:13am On Jul 11, 2019
Preciousgirl:

In other words semicolon is like and?
It's more like a comma but not quite. Here are some examples,

▪We have a test tomorrow; I can't play video games today.
▪There's a long trip ahead; we must leave early.

In both examples, each mini sentence can stand independently and still make sense but because they are related to the same topic, we use a semicolon to connect them in one single sentence whilst still telling the reader they are independent (just related).
If you use a comma in any of the examples above, it would not quite suffice as the comma is used for slight pauses in sentences where the components may not necessarily be independent.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 8:22am On Jul 11, 2019
Great lessons, more please
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 11:07am On Jul 11, 2019
please punctuate the sentence below for me

Good morning uncle hope you are doing well

here is mine

Good morning, uncle, hope you are doing well? Am i right?
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by fulli16(m): 11:26am On Jul 11, 2019
Preciousgirl:
please punctuate the sentence below for me

Good morning uncle hope you are doing well

here is mine

Good morning, uncle, hope you are doing well? Am i right?

Good morning Uncle, hope you are doing well.

I don't think a sentence starting with "hope" makes a question.
I stand corrected.

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Preciousgirl(f): 11:32am On Jul 11, 2019
fulli16:

Good morning Uncle, hope you are doing well.

I don't think a sentence starting with "hope" makes a question.
I stand corrected.

Hmmmm English grin
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by captianfreeman(m): 1:58pm On Jul 11, 2019
ariketalks:

It's more like a comma but not quite. Here are some examples,

▪We have a test tomorrow; I can't play video games today.
▪There's a long trip ahead; we must leave early.

In both examples, each mini sentence can stand independently and still make sense but because they are related to the same topic, we use a semicolon to connect them in one single sentence whilst still telling the reader they are independent (just related).
If you use a comma in any of the examples above, it would not quite suffice as the comma is used for slight pauses in sentences where the components may not necessarily be independent.
You are not connecting the sentence in the above examples. You're rather using the semicolon to separate the sentence.
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Nobody: 3:45pm On Jul 11, 2019
captianfreeman:

You are not connecting the sentence in the above examples. You're rather using the semicolon to separate the sentence.
Pitching two things together to make one is called a connection. You people just go to google to steal info, ignoring logical reasoning. The semicolon splits both sentences but it also connects them to make a single sentence. Ask your English teacher, if you can still find him or her.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by theunnamed: 4:11pm On Jul 11, 2019
What us it that you suck? And where is this punctuation you speak of, why do you like going there? Is it just to suck? tongue tongue undecided
Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Starboytwo(m): 8:40pm On Jul 11, 2019
This is informative...

1 Like

Re: Please Help, I Suck At Punctuations by Bestboy11513(m): 10:08pm On Jul 11, 2019
You should've taken this topic to the Education section.

(1) (Reply)

That Thing Called ‘love’ / Do I Give Up? / What Would You Do If You Notice A Foul Smell Around Your Partner?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.