Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha (33129 Views)

Why We Arrested Senator Okorocha - Police / Senator Okorocha Arrested For Unsealing Seized Hotel (video) / Governor Wike Welcomes Senator Okorocha To Brick House In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by lexy2014: 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2019
Xkalaban:
For once, I'll concur to Cọckroachass Okoronwusa's observation grin

Unfortunately, he didn't do much to address d situation as a governor for eight years
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Xkalaban(m): 12:32pm On Jul 18, 2019
lexy2014:

Unfortunately, he didn't do much to address d situation as a governor for eight years

Don't mind the crook. He's simply seeking political relevance once again.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by oz4real83(m): 12:33pm On Jul 18, 2019
Aystarz:

I don't know Joga, Saale; only Ayetoro Fence area which is close to Ayobo and Lafenwa
from lafenwa to the ayetoro,u will take a bus or taxi to ayetoro. It used to be N300 as at 2010/2011 when I was there. It is about an average of 40 minutes drive to ayetoro from lafenwa. The road was a mess then. I don't know if the govt has done anything about the road now. It was a very peaceful place when I was there. I still miss the place though. Only place i can board a bike for N20 that year to cds!!!
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jul 18, 2019
Olarewaju89:
We have them already, go to the north they full there. Including their president undecided undecided
We have them even in the South
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by doublecross(m): 12:38pm On Jul 18, 2019
hypocrite! this same man allowed students with and E to gain admission into imo state university and said english is not our mother tongue. what is he forming now? rubbish!
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Nathphil(m): 12:40pm On Jul 18, 2019
Is English lang the yard stick for excellence. China, germany and other great countries communicate ideas with any language. Focus on reducing una jumbo pay.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by doublecross(m): 12:40pm On Jul 18, 2019
lexy2014:

don't mind him. he is an 1diot. he was governor and didnt fix it. who does he want to fix it now? i hate this man
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by olumalcolm(m): 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
Its been happening for a long time now and we never seem to care. Our parents were taught by excellent teachers, they studied under the best conditions. They enjoyed so many free amenities and life was not hard then but nowadays what do we get, student study under harsh conditions, strike today, cultism is not helping matters, lecturers threatening students with failure, living and study conditions is nothing to write home about. How many state universities have enough hostels within the campus? Lets also look at the background of some students, some parents cant afford good schools for their children so they send them to one public school close by where the teachers themselves are not paid well so whether the student knows what he/she is taught or not ain't their biz. So when the foundation is weak, it tends to affect the child and that's why we are having so many graduates who cant speak simple English. You go to some public primary schools during rainy season and you will be moved to tears to see the kinda classrooms the student use. No doors, no windows, roof is leaking and all, how do you expect such student to study well?
Lets also look at the social aspect of life, what kinda songs are our artists dishing out per week basis? Lets look at naira marley for example, dat guy is a total menace to the society. He said he saw so many tins while in police custody but he could not come out to create a positive awareness and possibly start a reasonable movement with his marlians bullshiit but rather he is singing about masturbation. Dat nigga shuld be shot at sight if it were left to me. Alot of so many artist lik dat, so so many. Listen to the music our parents were opportuned to listen to and compare it to what we have now, they go seperate ways. Let me just stop here abeg. Too many wrong conditions and all, on tuesday i went to unilag to process transcript and do verification for a client but i was told the non teaching staff of all federal universities are on a week warning strike, u can imagine. angry
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by SoNature(m): 12:46pm On Jul 18, 2019
CID11:
I knew this man was going there to disgrace us. From ministry of happiness to this. Please if Owelle has nothing to say he should just warm the bench

Aturu!
What's disgraceful about what he said?
Hate makes some of u lose your senses!
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by uuzba(m): 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
How many productive Chinese can speak English? Yet they make footprints worldwide.
Chinese are a nation to themselves

They invented their own writing style. They don't use alphabets... It is already their own culture. They write all their books and scripts with their writing system. They calculate their mathematics and science in their language and written system. Though they accepted Arabic numerals, 0, 1, 2, 3.....

You, somebody gave you alphabets, A, B, C... which you use to spell English words, Ibo Yoruba,. and all our Nigerian languages
We never had a written language system in any culture till Whiteman came to write what we were saying in our various languages.

As for numbers, we never wrote it down or did mathematics with it.

So which noise are you making?

Write down 200.03² (two hundred point zero three, raise to the power two) in your native language. Then I know you are serious.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by PoliteActivist: 12:49pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
How many productive Chinese can speak English? Yet they make footprints worldwide.

Don't take words do literally. "Speak English" is a euphemism
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Ugosample(m): 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:

so so many

The Scandinavian countries speak impeccable English and speak their languages impeccably too

But in that tragic $hithole called NiggerArea, most "educated folks" can't speak their indigenous languages impeccably neither can they write and express themselves properly in it.

And they can't do same for English

so it's a serious problem

anyone not learning as many languages as he can in 2019 is cheating himself

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Ugosample(m): 12:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
olumalcolm:
Its been happening for a long time now and we never seem to care. Our parents were taught by excellent teachers, they studied under the best conditions. They enjoyed so many free amenities and life was not hard then but nowadays what do we get, student study under harsh conditions, strike today, cultism is not helping matters, lecturers threatening students with failure, living and study conditions is nothing to write home about. How many state universities have enough hostels within the campus? Lets also look at the background of some students, some parents cant afford good schools for their children so they send them to one public school close by where the teachers themselves are not paid well so whether the student knows what he/she is taught or not ain't their biz. So when the foundation is weak, it tends to affect the child and that's why we are having so many graduates who cant speak simple English. You go to some public primary schools during rainy season and you will be moved to tears to see the kinda classrooms the student use. No doors, no windows, roof is leaking and all, how do you expect such student to study well?
Lets also look at the social aspect of life, what kinda songs are our artists dishing out per week basis? Lets look at naira marley for example, dat guy is a total menace to the society. He said he saw so many tins while in police custody but he could not come out to create a positive awareness and possibly start a reasonable movement with his marlians bullshiit but rather he is singing about masturbation. Dat nigga shuld be shot at sight if it were left to me. Alot of so many artist lik dat, so so many. Listen to the music our parents were opportuned to listen to and compare it to what we have now, they go seperate ways. Let me just stop here abeg. Too many wrong conditions and all, on tuesday i went to unilag to process transcript and do verification for a client but i was told the non teaching staff of all federal universities are on a week warning strike, u can imagine. angry

lmao
it's sad

you have intelligently captured the problem
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by YoungAncient1: 12:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Welcome to 2019 me okoro!! We have them already.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by uuzba(m): 1:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
Nathphil:
Is English lang the yard stick for excellence. China, germany and other great countries communicate ideas with any language. Focus on reducing una jumbo pay.
China, Germany, Spain, Belgium.... They communicate their ideas in their country's national language. They speak it at home, school, office and write their books, journals, website with that same language.

Our national language in Nigeria is what me and you are writing her, English.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by ejimatic: 1:04pm On Jul 18, 2019
AcuraZDX:

Source:
https://zenithnaija.com/nigeria-will-soon-produce-graduates-who-cant-speak-english-senator-okorocha/
The truth is there are many Nigerian graduates who cannot speak good English for five minutes. This development is a topical issues involving all stakeholders in Nigerian tertiary education.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2019
Codes151:
Not conclusive sir! I once forgot a simple spelling.. it was a four letter word! Even when I asked a friend, I still had doubts it was correct. It’s normal sir unless they did it every time
Believe me this is different i know what ur talking about and it happens to everyone i once forgot how to spell THE due to exam pressure.. These girls i'm talking about cant write simple English even outside exams

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by willyo(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:

Do u learn here in Nigeria with Chinese language?

Tell me how many Chinese people making exploits that can't speak the Chinese language properly...

Always off point and dullards are like ur comment already

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Treasure17(m): 1:13pm On Jul 18, 2019
We know this already. Reason the government should prioritise education in this country starting from budgeting.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Peaceagain: 1:14pm On Jul 18, 2019
And who is to blame Mr Senator? God will judge you all. Its just a matter of time.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by alexxo11(m): 1:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
NUJABEZ:

In cases like this, consider the language of instruction. A Chinese man learns science in the Chinese language, while a Yoruba man learns science in the English language thus depriving him of the quality of understanding available to the Chinese man due to instruction being in his (Chinese) mother tongue.
grin grin grin grin why are you explaining it to him??was it that hard for him to comprehendif one does not understand the mode of instruction in a class how can he\she understand the class??useless!
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Alayiwola: 1:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
And you think Chinese are taught in English. Get sense.. Quality of graduate in Nigeria is poor,some can't even right there name. I met Some guys in ministry who can right there name, they have HND. They are employed by politician anyway.

But all the same.. I was speaking to someone who told me you can get a certificate in Nigeria university for 3million nai
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Defenderalert(m): 1:20pm On Jul 18, 2019
Una still dey learn. Thats already happening.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by lyndaway(f): 1:20pm On Jul 18, 2019
He his not far from the truth, truth be told it really a thing of shame and embarrassment for a great country has Nigeria some graduate can not write not to talk of speaking good English.Some years back in Kaduna orientation camp a corper doesn't know the Nigeria National Anthem the camp commander ask how he managed to get to the level of coming for service it a pity let encourage ourselves and fight our common enemy for the seek of our unborn children weather we like it or not it our our country and the best We can do is to fight for his progress
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by JikanBaura(m): 1:26pm On Jul 18, 2019
Not a graduate but i'm from the northern part of the country and i can't speak fluent English. Most graduates from the South can't either, their is a big difference between pidgin and english. Okorocha's grammatical usage of English isn't outstanding either. Lol how about we dump colonists language like Uganda dumped French for kiswahili.

We can adopt hausa, the fastest growing language in the country which more than half the country population speaks already.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Dredgemaster(m): 1:27pm On Jul 18, 2019
CID11:
I knew this man was going there to disgrace us. From ministry of happiness to this. Please if Owelle has nothing to say he should just warm the bench
. You call this truth disgrace?
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by alexxo11(m): 1:28pm On Jul 18, 2019
Alayiwola:
And you think Chinese are taught in English. Get sense.. Quality of graduate in Nigeria is poor,some can't even right there name. I met Some guys in ministry who can right there name, they have HND. They are employed by politician anyway.

But all the same.. I was speaking to someone who told me you can get a certificate in Nigeria university for 3million nai
grin grin grin grin grin grin Mr you are among the uneducated....its write their...not that idiocy to wrote there.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 18, 2019
Jayslicky:
We should start with our president as an example, his inability to communicate fluently in English is a big barrier for Nigeria as a nation. The politicians have a big fault in this poor education system we have in the country, they send their kids abroad and leave the one in their country uncatered for, ASUU keeps going on strike and students time for learning in class reduces. It is just a pitiable state for a country that has gained independence for almost 60years.

Spot on. Have you heard the new Justice Tanko speak? cry. A trained lawyer for that matter. This country is in ruins.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by NACE13: 1:42pm On Jul 18, 2019
seborrhic:
Even some moderators on Nland cannot put proper sentences together, disgracing the forum with crappy headlines and posts.
An eg is even in this headline.
Starting each word in a sentence with capital letters.What kind of rubbish is that?

Bro, do not blame them on this; The way this site's "topic" textbox was designed, Seun used UpperCamelCasing function, so no matter how they type and post topics it will display in such manner.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by redsun(m): 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
When animals in humans skin like you are in charge, what do you expect?

A country where the so-called leaders lack basic human instincts and intuitions.

The people are so dumb and demoralized to have elected a thief like him again, despite the fact that he was a complete failure as a governor. The only place he should be now is in jail, locked up for good.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 18, 2019
May today?

Nigeria has been producing them in large numbers. A much older cousin of mine once told the story of their CLO (Coroner Liaison Officer) in the LGA who could not speak English.
He served in the 80's in the old Sokoto State. Thee guy was a Northerner.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by seborrhic: 1:52pm On Jul 18, 2019
NACE13:

Bro, do not blame them on this; The way this site's "topic" textbox was designed, Seun used UpperCamelCasing function, so no matter how they type and post topics it will display in such manner.
Ok.
But the grammar they use in some headlines is so appalling.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Peter Obi Receives Certificate Of Return As Labour Party Presidential Candidate / Edo Deputy Governor, Shaibu, Attempts To Force His Way Into Governor's Office / Pictures From The Ongoing NLC Protest In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.