Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,901 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:12 AM

Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha (33137 Views)

Why We Arrested Senator Okorocha - Police / Senator Okorocha Arrested For Unsealing Seized Hotel (video) / Governor Wike Welcomes Senator Okorocha To Brick House In Rivers State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by uuzba(m): 1:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ugosample:

so so many

The Scandinavian countries speak impeccable English and speak their languages impeccably too

But in that tragic $hithole called NiggerArea, most "educated folks" can't speak their indigenous languages impeccably neither can they write and express themselves properly in it.

And they can't do same for English

so it's a serious problem

anyone not learning as many languages as he can in 2019 is cheating himself
I think the secret to any language is being in the midst of a majority of people who speak it.
Before Nigeria became a nation, our various tribes/parents, spoke excellent "Language"
One main reason for forming a nation, Nigeria, is for people to move around easily within the nation.
A person from the East can move to the North do trade/business with single currency.
English is the default national language to assist in communication around the country.
Everybody is meant to go to school, learn English, then use the English to speak with each other around the nation.
But people didn't learn or were not taught/practice the English properly.
We now have people moving about the nation, speaking bad English to each other, or speaking a common native tongue.

Education is not cheap. Our radio and TV stations were setup to speak in English to help with the learning.
But for whatever reason, some persons refuse to accept the English. We now have "Language" radio and TV stations.

We need impeccable English, Radio and TV stations in addition to impeccable English Teachers in schools. And compulsory English oral literature

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Tomide007: 1:57pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
How many productive Chinese can speak English? Yet they make footprints worldwide.
the Chinese teach in mandarin thus there graduates speak mandarin. But in Nigeria we teach in English thus our graduates must know how to speak English. The argument is not about knowing how to speak English but being a good graduate. You can't be a good Nigerian graduate and can't speak English.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Tomide007: 2:00pm On Jul 18, 2019
Jayslicky:
We should start with our president as an example, his inability to communicate fluently in English is a big barrier for Nigeria as a nation. The politicians have a big fault in this poor education system we have in the country, they send their kids abroad and leave the one in their country uncatered for, ASUU keeps going on strike and students time for learning in class reduces. It is just a pitiable state for a country that has gained independence for almost 60years.

Have you heard buhari speak before?
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Ufedolove: 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
respect80:

You are trying to be correct, but you are wrong because you are hitting the wrong spot.
Oya, look at it from this perspective.

Apart from the fact that Nigeria as a country rely on the West for her civilization, have you asked which language the graduate was taught to become a graduate in the first place?

Even the China you talk about has a well large population of English speakers.

So tell me why any graduate who was supposedly taught in English from nursery, primary, secondary and to tertiary institution should not be able to speak English?
Why

God bless you

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by TheFacelessMan: 2:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
VillagePipu:

That one is small.

In Kings college, they conducted aptitude tests for Youth Corpers posted to teach there. Many of the Corpers posted there couldn't string two sentences of correct English together.

Bro...i might be a bit paranoid, but I wouldn't put it past the guy you quoted to have indirectly insulted Yorubas intentionally.

Let me check his past comments and insult him appropriately if need be. grin grin grin

Modified - seems a bright guy. wink
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by NACE13: 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2019
A lot of you guys are missing the point here; How can a supposed graduate not know how to put a string of sentences together. It is quite annoying and embarrassing.

Another issue here is the upbringing of a child. A place where the only way to communicate is using local dialect from home to school and back, same routine everyday, a child will find it hard to understand or even construct an English sentence, the university isn't responsible for this, except those studying courses relating to the use of English, like Law, Office Management Technology, Tourism and so on but again the university isn't meant to start teaching you the use of English from the basics.

Some folks are asking if English is "our language" or if Korea or China speak English. Let me ask you this, is English their first language? Were they colonised by Britain? You guys are missing the point here. Germany and France teach English as a second or third language in schools, same way we were all taught French in school.

Lastly, this Rochas that is criticizing the so-called graduates, what positive thing has he really done concerning this sad issue when he was a governor?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by highbee02: 2:05pm On Jul 18, 2019
Politicians also contribute to the problems facing education sector. The system needs total overhauling; especially the mode of entry, many of those who were recruited don't have passion for the profession, they see it as a stepping stone, the saying that " everybody can teach" Should be removed. Recruitment should base on merit and not through godfatherism, and those who do not have interest or major in education should be shown the way out. Teaching should be fully professionalized like medicine and law with good remuneration; this will curb the mass exodus of people from the profession. POSTGRADUATE DIPLOMA IN EDUCATION should be abolished, do we have PGD in Medicine, Law and engineering? Teaching should not be made a dumping ground. In Kwara State, HND teachers earn better than B.Ed holders even with the TRCN, I'm a living witness
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by follock007(m): 2:13pm On Jul 18, 2019
You just dropped the lithium bomb... grin

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by NACE13: 2:14pm On Jul 18, 2019
seborrhic:

Ok.
But the grammar they use in some headlines is so appalling.

You should know that it is the OPs(Original Posters) who create these topics, so they are the ones responsible for the bloopers.
I noticed same a few times as well by these guy who call themselves "bloggers".

I can't tell if the Mods are able to correct some of these errors before pushing the topic(s) to front page
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Aystarz: 2:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
oz4real83:
from lafenwa to the ayetoro,u will take a bus or taxi to ayetoro. It used to be N300 as at 2010/2011 when I was there. It is about an average of 40 minutes drive to ayetoro from lafenwa. The road was a mess then. I don't know if the govt has done anything about the road now. It was a very peaceful place when I was there. I still miss the place though. Only place i can board a bike for N20 that year to cds!!!

Yea, it is the same place with the terrible roads and muddy inner streets . grin
Didn't know education wasn't any better in that part of town.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Kenturkey048(m): 2:20pm On Jul 18, 2019
Dis man no lie atall ...I have actually seen a male youth CORPER applying for maternity leave...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by respect80(m): 2:22pm On Jul 18, 2019
Ufedolove:

God bless you
And you too my dear.

BTW, which replacement are we anticipating for Yahaya Bello because we must seize back our state from that tyrant.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Mikora: 2:25pm On Jul 18, 2019
PEDRO117:
Which President
Do you even know what English is??
Your NEPA bill president that has no certificate

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Mrhauxiliary(m): 2:29pm On Jul 18, 2019
It Been A While That Nigeria has been producing sophiscated mediocrity. TruLy Many Nigeria youths are lazy even to read is problem.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by TalkingBird: 2:34pm On Jul 18, 2019
very true.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Alanpoza007: 2:40pm On Jul 18, 2019
oz4real83:
I taught ss2 and ss3 in a public school in ayetoro,yewa North,Ogun state in my nysc days. I can attest to the fact that though my ss3 students were about writing waec/neco exams,more than 80 percent of them could neither speak nor write in English language even though they "copy notes". I have always wondered if it is the same waec,neco and jamb that every part of the country is writing!!!
And that is in the SW that is supposed to be the hotbed of education in the country as no state there is classified under ELDS. You can only imagine what obtains in the core North if this can happen in Ogun state in the 21st century.. Quite sad.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by labani06(m): 2:44pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
How many productive Chinese can speak English? Yet they make footprints worldwide.

A Nigerian graduate that can't speak English then that signifies that during his academic period he doesn't research in order to be more creative in his field of study the only thing he does is
to memorize everything and send it back the sender that is why our graduate always failed to speak fluent English. what of those Chinese graduate a graduate in China is trained and taught in his mother language that is why he can't speech English but he is very skillful because his government are trying all their possible best on him.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Rilley(m): 2:47pm On Jul 18, 2019
queenxey1:
Help me remind him That English is not a measure of intelligent Is just another man's language
I can see it in your sentence already.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by chosengocap: 2:47pm On Jul 18, 2019
"In Imo State, meanwhile, the work of a 7-person Financial Advisory Team has got underway, led by Dr. Abraham Nwankwo, former Director-General of Nigeria's Debt Management Office (DMO). Some of the stuff coming out is beyond mind-boggling Under @realRochas as Governor, Imo State had over 260 accounts with various financial institutions. It appears that the Governor was himself sole signatory quite a good number of these accounts. The public servants in the state knew & said nothing. Under @realRochas all the State Universal Basic Education (SUBEB) contracts in the state were awarded to one single contractor. In all over N3.67 billion worth of contracts went to this 1 contractor who was the Governor's front. Meanwhile the Governor was touting "FreeEducation" As Governor, @realRochas created 31 Ministries, including one for "Happiness & Couple Fulfilment", with over 39 permanent Secretaries & an unknown number of advisers. @EmekaIhedioha as Governor has decided to prune the Ministries to no more than 17. Over a period of 8 years, it's an understatement to say # RealRoachas stole Imo State dry & laid the state desolate. Turning around the state from his reign of pillage & plunder will require a lot of work & may be a bit of a miracle. SMMEs like @PMTNigeria will be needed to do it. In his last year in office, it appears, @realRoachas had released to or for him in cash from the coffers of Imo state, something in the region of some N119bn (one hundred & nineteen billion Naira). All official cars in the state were stolen or looted; the Govt house was plundered As we speak, Imo State's @EmekaIhedioha has to operate from his private home; all senior state officials have to work from their private premises & use their private cars for official work. It's impossible to describe in words the damage @realRochas did. It's unspeakable crime." Chidi Odinkalu
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Rilley(m): 2:50pm On Jul 18, 2019
OdefaGirl:
They are actually doing that already.
Alien faced girl how market cheesy
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by NwaIgboBoy(m): 2:55pm On Jul 18, 2019
Rochas Okorocha my best fool ever...
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Ufedolove: 3:01pm On Jul 18, 2019
respect80:

And you too my dear.

BTW, which replacement are we anticipating for Yahaya Bello because we must seize back our state from that tyrant.

For me, Dino is a good choice. Any could be better but not Bello. That guy isn't worthy to be a school prefect
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Damod88: 3:15pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:

Chinese mandarin is a world language spoken by the largest number of people in the world. It is only one of the fews ancient languages that has survived to the modern time. The Chinese do not need English language locally because everything in China is in mandarin. They only need English language when interacting with the rest of the world.

Now to Nigeria. We never had a written language prior to European colonial rule so when the Europeans came we were forced to adopt English language for official communication because the colonial masters brought almost everything modern in their language.

Our failure to develop our local languages made almost inevitable for the primacy of English language even after the colonial masters left.Another problem is the multiplicity of languages that we have so making one of them the official language would have generated huge ethnic animosity. Today English language is more of a symbol of acceptance of foreign lifestyle than anything else.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Lugard89: 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
Biko how can speaking English contribute to national development, is English speaking sign of academic excellence or educated entity, China can't speak one but rule the world, weda English or not wen one can express his or her thought dat can yield development wat else do u need English for, dis is communication we are talking about here not English, at list rochas has shown d level of his intellect, keep speaking English while d nation sinks
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Graduateacher(f): 3:16pm On Jul 18, 2019
The first time I discovered this truth was during my service yr, last year, about 90% of graduates can't communicate in English language our only saving grace are private universities. If you love your kids, let them enrol in private universities instead.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by Khaleell001(m): 3:20pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
That's because Mandarin Chinese is their language of communication and education unlike Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by joe120120(m): 3:28pm On Jul 18, 2019
AcuraZDX:

Source:
https://zenithnaija.com/nigeria-will-soon-produce-graduates-who-cant-speak-english-senator-okorocha/

Okorohausa is English ur language ?u go to China twice every two month b4 u left office as IMO state governor .
Dont China have graduates ?
I beg show me ur white joo !
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by tpraiz(m): 3:46pm On Jul 18, 2019
Where is job for the ones that knows how to speak English grin
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by ALAYORMII: 3:56pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:

Their mode of learning is not English but ours is
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by ernieboy(m): 4:10pm On Jul 18, 2019
Sunmolar:
but they can write Chinese, their official language. many of our graduates can barely speak nor cqn they write English infact many are not literate.
Re: Nigeria Will Soon Produce Graduates Who Can't Speak English — Senator Okorocha by VillagePipu: 4:23pm On Jul 18, 2019
TheFacelessMan:

Bro...i might be a bit paranoid, but I wouldn't put it past the guy you quoted to have indirectly insulted Yorubas intentionally.

Let me check his past comments and insult him appropriately if need be. grin grin grin

Modified - seems a bright guy. wink

My brother, I did same too, but didn't add where those corpers were from. The Corper who couldn't speak English were some Igbo girls from Imsu. Dumb empty-headed things.

How're you doing sir?

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Happens If Tinubu’s VP Placeholder, Masari, Goes Rogue? / The Nigerian Air Force In Focus. PICTURES. / Who Is Really A NIGER DELTAN?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.