Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,746 members, 7,824,148 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby (2122 Views)

Fashola's Wife Welcomes Lagos First Baby Of 2015 (photo) / Who Comes For "Omugo" First? The Husband Or Wife's Mum? / Marriage: Does The Length Of Courtship Matter ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by dewaledeyi(m): 3:33pm On Oct 13, 2010
My friend's wife's mum has been with them after they had their 1st baby, a boy.

Now thats over a month ago. What is the normal duration for mothers to stay with their daughter in her matrimonial home after childbirth,

He's asked me but am also naive about it, Any hints?

One love
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by ifyalways(f): 3:41pm On Oct 13, 2010
I dont think there is any specified time for her to leave oh.Did your friend wife have a normal delivery,Is she strong enough to bathe,take care of the baby alone and run her family now?
I think,generally speaking,3 months is ok but are they uncomfy with her presence  undecided
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by afrobaby(f): 4:52pm On Oct 13, 2010
Since this is dia first child, the wife's mum or the husband's mum must be around for like at least a aperiod of 3 months to help the wife out, she is inexperienced in terms of taking care of a new born child, or is he already feeling uncomfortable with her presence in the house?
Persoannly, my mother and my husband's mother will have to stay with me for like 6 months, they will stay with me on a monthly basis interchangeably when I have my first baby until I am sure I can handle the baby alone
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by Odunnu: 6:23pm On Oct 13, 2010
3months
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by Outstrip(f): 4:39am On Oct 14, 2010
You can handle your baby alone the day the baby pops out. It is natural instincts. Igbo culture says 3 months if you are going by the culture thing. Most mother's who are capable of staying might even be embarassed to live after 1 month. What was the plan before mama came
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by dewaledeyi(m): 1:02pm On Oct 14, 2010
Thanks to you all for your replies,

Outstrip, from what I gathered, there was no plan. My friend said he called the wife's mum just before delivery and she's been staying with them since.

Ifyalways, I think the husband is a lil uncomfortable because there were some disagreements during the naming ceremony and the wife's mother took sides with the wife (or was even the cause of the problem) but he says things are calmer now. He is also somehow uncomfy cos the mum stylishly throw tantrums at him or he gets to feel she does and has had to ignore many time.

While visiting on one ocassion, I witnessed the mum taking him on in a funny way based on a decision in the house. Thats what stunned me. Sometimes, this kinda experience scares niggas from marriage.
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by ijcurt(f): 4:59pm On Oct 14, 2010
2-3months
Re: What Length Of Time Should My Wife's Mum Be Around After Our First Baby by hannydarl(f): 10:52pm On Oct 14, 2010
If his mother was there giving the wife small small problem, how long till he asks her to leave his house? thats how long mama iyawo can stay I think grin.

(1) (Reply)

What Is This Kid Thinking (PIC) / HAPPY MOTHERING SUNDAY / Stingy Husbands Buy The Foodstuffs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.