Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,117 members, 7,821,832 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:46 PM

Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow - Celebrities (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow (24790 Views)

Concerned Nigerians Call For Ban Of Flavour’s New Music Video ‘looking Nyansh’ / Daddy Freeze Reacts As Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies In Nigeria / Charly Boy Calls For Ban Of BBNaija Show, Gives Reasons (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Angrymode: 11:21pm On Jul 22, 2019
See mumu Desmond way want me to abandon Game of Thrones to watch Battle for the Throne.

His he high or just plain stupid?

Chai! Make I no talk everything way de my finish.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by ayocrx(m): 11:41pm On Jul 22, 2019
For anyone here that is reading, search for the documentary of the making of the First 10 James Bond Movies, this was in the 1970s , no computer graphics, then compare to nollywoid in 2019,.....you will understand why the James Bond franchise is the oldest and most successful film franchise in the world today, people died in the making of those movies.....just to deliver excellence

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Makschinchin: 12:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Hintona:
He's right

ban those silly zee world and Korean series
grin

I don't think those should be banned.. Truth is, if Nollywood can up their game in the entertainment industry, they'll have lots of viewers.. But then, they show lots of uninteresting stuffs and most viewers end up looking for an alternative.. Nollywood has a lot of work to do jare
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by express101: 1:00am On Jul 23, 2019
We did not ban foreign music and Nigerian music is growing. Just saying
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Makschinchin: 1:05am On Jul 23, 2019
TSRC:
Control piracy and see if Nollywood will not grow.

Piracy isn't the main problem.. The quality of their movies should be taken into serious consideration.. Many people avoid Nollywood movies because of the poor quality (in virtually ALL RAMIFICATIONS).
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by KingMicky3286: 1:33am On Jul 23, 2019
I so much like this stupid comment from a lawmaker.

That’s has shown his level of contributions to the growth of the nation.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by generationz(f): 2:10am On Jul 23, 2019
Xano:
Rubbish

Well, I don't buy movie CDs, I download a good number of foreign movies.

A good number of people don't buy or watch Nollywood movies

What site do you download from?
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Nobody: 2:18am On Jul 23, 2019
No Sir. We are not flowing with the stuck on Kingship and Armed-robbery themed NOLLYWOOD TRASH
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by ddeola: 3:30am On Jul 23, 2019
Olodo. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Igetmyown247: 4:19am On Jul 23, 2019
Who does he think he is ? Desmond IDIOT.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Aniefiokwisdom(m): 5:40am On Jul 23, 2019
[quote author=Leviana post=80525170]Because the internet no longer exists?

Let me hear word Abeg
Nollywood that's acting rubbish, you will even see an Angel with tribal marks. The last one I even watch a glass cup fell and bounce on the floor 3 times before breaking
.Desmond should go and reconstruct nollywood
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Aniefiokwisdom(m): 5:41am On Jul 23, 2019
Let me hear word Abeg
Nollywood that's acting rubbish, you will even see an Angel with tribal marks. The last one I even watch a glass cup fell and bounce on the floor 3 times before breaking
.Desmond should go and reconstruct nollywood
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by archat: 5:55am On Jul 23, 2019
desmond idiot u better mind ur sef connoct that switch before u yan us asap.nollywood cannot provide tbose qualities which hollywood provides.nollywood is a fucckkin scam
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by archat: 5:56am On Jul 23, 2019
desmond idiot u better mind ur sef connect that switch before u yan us asap.nollywood cannot provide those qualities which hollywood provides.nollywood is a fucckkin scam
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by DarlingEmojist(m): 6:35am On Jul 23, 2019
Wetin this one dey talk for mouth!?

We prefer Hollywood Because they re real,unlike Nollywood Movie that you can even see a ghost putting on chevrolet(Man-U) jersey
Who give ham?

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Godmother(f): 6:57am On Jul 23, 2019
Thank God YouTube and Netflix are still there where we can download or stream foreign movies.

He wants to sentence us to years of predictability and boredom, abi?

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by nnamathy: 6:59am On Jul 23, 2019
Can someone inform him that "DESTROYING ANOTHER PRODUCT DOESN'T MAKE YOUR PRODUCT BETTER" Nollywood needs unending improvement.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Trism(m): 7:14am On Jul 23, 2019
When am waiting for Money Heist( LA casa de papal) season 4 Brother you won't like to be cursed
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Reference(m): 7:52am On Jul 23, 2019
While I can support the restriction of common goods and services such as farm produce or textiles and the rest, two things I can never support the restriction of is: intellectual property or creative property. These are the bricks and mortar of development in a globalised world. To restrict any of these is to retrogress. You start with films and music, where do you end.... magazines, books, journals.... scientific research.

It is a slippery slope. You need competition, peer review to make progress. The strides made in the Nigerian music industry of late is not only despite the abundance of foreign competition but leveraged on foreign competition to develop. Nollywood started its breakout far earlier than 'Kennywood' (I would attribute the Nigeria music renaissance to Kenny Ogunbe starting in the early 90's) but for some strange reason has stagnated and fallen far behind its performing arts counterpart.

Desmond should gather his peers and brainstorm on why this is so. There is very little intellectualism and professionalism in Hollywood. Growth and development has been disappointing despite the huge gains brought by the publicity and leverage of Multichoice and DSTv.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Psoul(m): 8:07am On Jul 23, 2019
Not Too Young To Rule:

Is this the kind of things we will be seeing when the younger ones take up the mantle of leadership?
This is silly contribution.

Desmond, let me remind you. Few years ago, what we mostly play in this country are those foreign music(Western and some East African Music).
None of them was banned.
What our indigenous artists did was to strive to compete with them. Their persistent competition was what led to almost extinction of all those foreign music from the country. Now, most of those western world pay heavily to have our artist play in their countries.

Desmond, tell ur colleagues in the Nollywood to compete vehemently with their counterparts in the foreign countries so that our indigenous movies may be at par with the foreign ones and what happened in our music industry will also happen in the movie industry. Stop calling for a ban. That is a weak man's strategy.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Reference(m): 8:16am On Jul 23, 2019
ayocrx:
For anyone here that is reading, search for the documentary of the making of the First 10 James Bond Movies, this was in the 1970s , no computer graphics, then compare to nollywoid in 2019,.....you will understand why the James Bond franchise is the oldest and most successful film franchise in the world today, people died in the making of those movies.....just to deliver excellence

Excellence starts with inspiration. Inspiration is the preserve of those who love to dream. Nollywood needs big dreams, inspirators, creative artists.... they need to spend money getting quality story tellers, quality visual artists. They need to raise the level of literacy and professionalism to broaden their appeal particularly on the international stage.

Whether we like it or not, the bulk of productions today find audience with the lower class of society, the less educated, the less enlightened and the less sophisticated both in content and in production. These folks are less likely going to invest the kind of resources needed to trigger an avalanche of investment. They are less likely to go watch the productions on the big screen.

There are a few productions and producers which try to raise the bar with modern, better quality and more captivating stories and adaptations but we must understand what an industry is. It is the general outlook not that of a few but on balance of the whole.

Bollywood too passed through this phase of stagnation and stiff foreign competition but responded well by modernising and opening up create various genres some of which targetted the west and others the upper middle class. Nollywood is essentially mono genre or non conformist at best. 99% of productions fit into the same category - drama.

The challenges with Nollywood are within and it should look within for solutions. Their productions appeal to an increasingly shrinking audience who are getting increasingly wary of eating the same fufu day after day.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by roladex(f): 8:34am On Jul 23, 2019
Hintona:
He's right

grin
d silly zee world and Korean series r better and have good story lines than the so called niaja movie.nothing is working in Nigeria again.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by chuckjonesbaba(m): 9:49am On Jul 23, 2019
drinoayo:
Nollywood actor and director, Desmond Elliot, has called on the government to curtail the influx of foreign movies to help Nollywood grow, Igbere TV reports.

Elliot said this in an interview with HIP TV.

“Ban all foreign content, you know, make it difficult for foreign content to come in, so your own local content can grow and then, you need to support,” he said.

The Husbands of Lagos actor also said that the government needed to create an enabling environment for the entertainment business to thrive.

Desmond Elliot has starred in over 250 movies.

He was re-elected into the Lagos State House of Assembly on March 9.

He won best supporting actor in a drama at the 2013 Africa Magic Viewers’ Choice Awards.

He was also nominated for best-supporting actor at the 10th Africa Movie Academy Awards.

Source; http://igberetvnews.com/835643/popular-nollywood-actor-calls-for-ban-of-foreign-movie-see-why/

Useless slowpoke!
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Nobody: 10:36am On Jul 23, 2019
spendoon:
When ever I see someone watching nollyshit movies I get irritated not to talk of me watching those mess

I gave a like my friend.. grin grin
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Nobody: 10:41am On Jul 23, 2019
mtisTheQubit:

I gave a like my friend.. grin grin
But still better than Watching Kenya movies tho, Kenya Actor and Actress faces look like vomit.

3 Likes

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by kiddkash(m): 12:14pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hintona:
He's right

grin
and replace them with what.
1. you will have accident, hit your head on the steering. in hospital they will bandage your leg
2. sex scene is under bed-sheet
3. before car will reach you you will fall already
4 you will die with low cut your spirit will come with punk
5. ghosts will check left and right before crossing road.
i can go on and on

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by sssoulw(m): 12:29pm On Jul 23, 2019
Zee world, telenovela, phillipine movies... no problem
But Real UK/USA typa movies.... we need em oo
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by OdenKelechi(m): 3:03pm On Jul 23, 2019
This one is very mad like this
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by trustedme(m): 3:20pm On Jul 23, 2019
Wetin de worry this man. They really wanna bore us with their low budget movies.
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Billionsclub: 4:59pm On Jul 23, 2019
[quote author=CosmicPhoenix post=80514900][/quote] but not Hollywood
Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by Billionsclub: 5:01pm On Jul 23, 2019
Hintona:
He's right
ban those silly zee world and Korean series grin
not Hollywood

1 Like

Re: Desmond Elliot Calls For Ban On Foreign Movies To Help Nollywood Grow by obazie(m): 11:55am On Jul 24, 2019
Na wa oh..with all the wahala in our country, is this the best bill he can sponsor?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Omowunmi Akinnifesi's 30th Birthday Dinner In Pictures / Kizz Daniel Covers Vibesng Magazine / Mercy Johnson Remembers Her Late Mum With Emotional Post

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.