Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,252 members, 7,811,697 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:29 PM

The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. - Religion (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. (25278 Views)

Anony & Deep Sight: Verse By Verse Academy On The Trinity & The Deity Of Christ / Anti-Deity of Yahshua: Please Kindly Help Frosbel Answer This / Atheists Are More "Moral" Than Christians/muslims (the Evidence). Do You Accept? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 8:56pm On Sep 27, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Since the words of our Lord Jesus Christ has now like water on the back of a duck to you reducing Him to a mortal man let me use the advise of John Paul Getty who said:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."

I don't want to waste my time since it appears your likes easily get annoyed when you are being answered according to the Scriptures.

Thanks for calling me a Pig and a Dog , no problem .

Never think for one second that I am angry with you or anyone here for that matter, why you should imagine such a bizarre thing is truly baffling and shows your state of mind.

That's what too much brainwashing in deeperlife has done to you ! cheesy

Anyway , back to my point , can you kindly help me with the questions asked :

1. how many Faces do we have here

2. how many Backs do we have here

3. how many Hands do we have here
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:14am On Sep 28, 2012
frosbel:

Thanks for calling me a Pig and a Dog , no problem .

Na you talk am o. If Jesus Christ said it and you claimed it then the problem is yours.

frosbel:

Never think for one second that I am angry with you or anyone here for that matter, why you should imagine such a bizarre thing is truly baffling and shows your state of mind.

That's what too much brainwashing in deeperlife has done to you ! cheesy

Are you really saying that you are a pig that gets angry when taught how to sing? shocked

frosbel:

Anyway , back to my point , can you kindly help me with the questions asked :

1. how many Faces do we have here

2. how many Backs do we have here

3. how many Hands do we have here

Back to the point I made earlier. The Words of our Lord Jesus Christ is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper:

"Give not that which is holy to the dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." -- Matthew 7:6

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 10:20am On Sep 28, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Na you talk am o. If Jesus Christ said it and you claimed it then the problem is yours.

Are you really saying that you are a pig that gets angry when taught how to sing? shocked

Back to the point I made earlier. The Words of our Lord Jesus Christ is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper:

"Give not that which is holy to the dogs, neither cast your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." -- Matthew 7:6

And this is your response , lol. grin grin

It shows the spirit behind your Christianity, does not resemble that of Christ.

Like David said you are a Pharisee hypocrite and I am here to make sure you do not sell you wicked brand of Christianity.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:43am On Sep 28, 2012
Three-in-Oneness in the Godhead:

Scriptures indicate there is three-in-oneness in the godhead.

In Matthew 28:19, the bodily resurrected Jesus instructed the disciples,

Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit (Matthew 28:19).

The word name is singular in Greek,thereby indicating God’s oneness. However,the definite articles in front of Father, Son and Holy Spirit (in the original Greek) indicate they are distinct personalities, even though there is just one God. These distinct personalities relate to each other. The Father and the Son, for example, know each other (Matthew 11:27), love each other (John 3:35), speak to each other (John 11:41-42). The Holy Spirit descended upon Jesus at His baptism (Luke 3:22), He is called another comforter or helper (John 14:16), He was sent by the Father and Jesus (John 15:26), and He seeks to glorify Jesus (John 16:13-14).

A Simple Analogy

A helpful analogy of the Godhead is that God is like a triangle that is one figure yet has three different sides (or corners) at the same time. So there is a simultaneous threeness and oneness. Of course, no analogy is perfect since in every analogy there is a similarity and a difference. The difference here is that "sides" or "corners" are not persons. Nonetheless, the triangle does illustrate how there can be threeness and oneness at the same time. While there is one God, there are three persons within the One God. QED wink.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:53pm On Oct 05, 2012
Daily Manna

A Perfect Unity

TEXT: JOHN 5:17-31

"Then Jesus answered and said to them, Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner" (John 5:19).

It is common knowledge that most people believe in the existence of God. They differ however in the mode of fellowship with Him. While some worship inanimate objects, others commune with either angels or notable old testament characters. But the scripture is clear in that God gave His only begotten Son (Jesus).

Our text reveals a deep truth in the relationship between God and Jesus Christ. The divine Father - Son relationship is a perfect model of unity in plurality of persons. Jesus claims equality with God in works, resurrection power, judgment, honour, giving eternal life, self-existence, deed and power over death and destiny. As God has made all things including the Sabbath, so is Jesus the Lord of the Sabbath. God has committed all things into the hands of Jesus. Why then would men confess the power of God and yet deny Christ, His Son? The Scriptures say unto Him belong all power; authority and dominion. It would not be logical to confess the power of God and at the same time disregard the Lordship of Christ, who is the power of God unto salvation. God has given us His Son Jesus, that all things may be done and fulfilled through Him. He manifests the mercy, love, righteousness, justice and nature of God. Our aspirations can then be fulfilled in Him because the Father "sheweth Him all things that Himself doeth . . ." (vs. 20).

The spiritually dead in sin can receive life because Christ has life to give. Those who hear His voice and receive Him are translated from the depth of sin to the life of righteousness. They face no more condemnation but everlasting life. Let us live to honour Christ and not despise Him. We are called to keep His commandment and do His will. To despise Him is to reject God. The Psalmist affirms in Psalm 9:17 "The wicked shall be turned into hell and all the nations that forget God." It is time to accept Him as the Son of God.

Thought for the day: "Knowing God is believing in Christ Jesus"

For Details . . .

1 Like

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by ijawkid(m): 6:07pm On Oct 05, 2012
OLAADEGBU: . While there is one God, there are three persons within the One God. QED wink.

Now that's confusion @ its peak......

Ola how far....how u dey??
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:09pm On Oct 06, 2012
ijawkid:

Now that's confusion @ its peak......

Ola how far....how u dey??

It may be confusing to you because you have closed your mind to the reality of the truth, but God has revealed Himself in His creation so that you will have no reason to plea ignorance to His divine nature.

"For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse" (Romans 1:20).
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:43pm On Oct 06, 2012
The Raging Seas
October 6, 2012.

"Thou rulest the raging of the sea: when the waves thereof arise, thou stillest them." (Psalm 89:9).

There are few things in nature more fearsome or more uncontrollable by man than a mighty storm at sea. Only the One who created the waters of the sea can really control them. But He can! "For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof . . . . He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still" (Psalm 107:25, 29).

One of the most striking demonstrations of the deity of Christ was in a storm on the Sea of Galilee when "he arose, and rebuked the wind and the raging of the water: and they ceased, and there was a calm" (Luke 8:24). Note also the experience of the mariners sailing to Tarshish when they realized that the storm that was about to destroy them had been sent by the God of heaven because of Jonah. "So they took up Jonah, and cast him forth into the sea: and the sea ceased from her raging" (Jonah 1:15).

The Scriptures also compare opponents of the gospel to a raging sea. "The wicked are like the troubled sea, when it cannot rest, whose waters cast up mire and dirt" (Isaiah 57:20). Similarly, Jude says that apostate teachers are like "raging waves of the sea, foaming out their own shame" (Jude 13).

Christ used this same figure to prophesy the turmoil of the ungodly nations of the world in the last days. "There shall be . . . upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring" (Luke 21:25). But just as God the Creator can calm the raging waves of the ocean, so God our Saviour can speak peace to the nations and calm each troubled soul. As our text assures us, He rules the ragings of every sea and stills them when the waves arise. HMM

For more . . . .
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 10:25am On Oct 08, 2012
The Unknowable God

The Trinity Doctrine is impossible to understand, yet understanding our relationship to God is central in gaining salvation and understanding many other gospel doctrines. In fact the Bible tells us that our very eternal life depends on knowing HIM.

John 17: 3 - And this is life eternal, that they might KNOW thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Bottom line, the 3-in-one monster conjured up by the Trinity is an unknowable being. The Trinity is confusion, and that is NOT of God, but of the devil.(See 1 Cor. 14: 33)

Honest theologians and priests will even admit that there is no way to "understand" the Trinity. They will argue that the mortal mind cannot grasp it but only "comprehend" some of it, but even that is a stretch when the scripture states that our very eternal life depends on KNOWING Him.

I also believe that if there was one doctrine that we should fully understand, it SHOULD be the one about the character and nature of God, and that he'd be a mean son of a gun to give us no way of understanding this very basic and important aspect of the gospel.

If you know anything about the history of the Nicean council, you also know that the framers of this gibberish themselves actually knew that what they were outlining was incomprehensible. That leads you to another problematic question... If the theologian/writers of the Trinity KNEW it was beyond the understanding of men. Then, as MEN, how do they know that they got it right in the first place?

That leads us to the final part of the argument. The lack of spiritual evidence that this doctrine is accepted by God.

As I have argued, this is a key doctrine that is pivotal to understand which touches most if not all other gospel principals and doctrines, yet there is no evidence of spiritual manifestations, or any kind of confirmation by the spirit for the conclusion of Nicea.

Again, anyone who takes time to read and study the history of the Nicean Creed will be struck by the strictly political atmosphere of the whole event--thats it.

If you take your examples from the Bible you will notice that most all of the major events in scripture were attended by angels, had manifestations of the Holy Spirit, or miraculous happenings of some sort or another. Yet at Nicea, none of the attendants reported angels appearing, cloven tongues of fire, or even a simple voice from heaven. Everything went off like a session of congress with everybody trying to please the Roman Emperor.

If this IS a pivotal doctrine, why wouldn't there be SOME record of a miraculous occurance that could be pointed to as acceptance by God?

So there you have it. I think these common sense reasons are valid and very strong against the Trinity being a true doctrine. I believe that most Christian Churches of the day have accepted it simply because it is a tradition. If you can argue against any of this, I'd love to hear it.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:40am On Oct 08, 2012
They are without excuse.

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 11:23am On Oct 08, 2012
Jesus Has the Names of God

Jesus Christ is God, not with inverted commas, but the very God of the very God. His name is Yahweh.

Jesus Christ possesses divine names—names that can only be used of God. For example:

Jesus is Yahweh.

Yahweh is a very common Hebrew name for God in the Old Testament, occurring over 5,300 times. It is translated Lord (all capitals) in many English translations of the Bible.

We first learn of this name in Exodus 3, where Moses asked God by what name He should be called. God replied to him, "I AM WHO I AM. . . .Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you" (verse 14). Yahweh is basically a shortened form of "I AM WHO I AM" (verse 15). The name conveys the idea of eternal self-existence. Yahweh never came into being at a point in time for He has always existed.

Jesus implicitly ascribed this divine name to himself during a confrontation He had with a group of hostile Jews. He said, "I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM" (John 8:58). Jesus deliberately contrasted the created origin of Abraham—whom the Jews venerated—with His own eternal, uncreated nature as God

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/nab2/is-jesus-god
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 11:36am On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel: The Unknowable God

The Trinity Doctrine is impossible to understand, yet understanding our relationship to God is central in gaining salvation and understanding many other gospel doctrines. In fact the Bible tells us that our very eternal life depends on knowing HIM.

John 17: 3 - And this is life eternal, that they might KNOW thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

Bottom line, the 3-in-one monster conjured up by the Trinity is an unknowable being. The Trinity is confusion, and that is NOT of God, but of the devil.(See 1 Cor. 14: 33)

Honest theologians and priests will even admit that there is no way to "understand" the Trinity. They will argue that the mortal mind cannot grasp it but only "comprehend" some of it, but even that is a stretch when the scripture states that our very eternal life depends on KNOWING Him.

I also believe that if there was one doctrine that we should fully understand, it SHOULD be the one about the character and nature of God, and that he'd be a mean son of a gun to give us no way of understanding this very basic and important aspect of the gospel.

If you know anything about the history of the Nicean council, you also know that the framers of this gibberish themselves actually knew that what they were outlining was incomprehensible. That leads you to another problematic question... If the theologian/writers of the Trinity KNEW it was beyond the understanding of men. Then, as MEN, how do they know that they got it right in the first place?

That leads us to the final part of the argument. The lack of spiritual evidence that this doctrine is accepted by God.

As I have argued, this is a key doctrine that is pivotal to understand which touches most if not all other gospel principals and doctrines, yet there is no evidence of spiritual manifestations, or any kind of confirmation by the spirit for the conclusion of Nicea.

Again, anyone who takes time to read and study the history of the Nicean Creed will be struck by the strictly political atmosphere of the whole event--thats it.

If you take your examples from the Bible you will notice that most all of the major events in scripture were attended by angels, had manifestations of the Holy Spirit, or miraculous happenings of some sort or another. Yet at Nicea, none of the attendants reported angels appearing, cloven tongues of fire, or even a simple voice from heaven. Everything went off like a session of congress with everybody trying to please the Roman Emperor.

If this IS a pivotal doctrine, why wouldn't there be SOME record of a miraculous occurance that could be pointed to as acceptance by God?

So there you have it. I think these common sense reasons are valid and very strong against the Trinity being a true doctrine. I believe that most Christian Churches of the day have accepted it simply because it is a tradition. If you can argue against any of this, I'd love to hear it.

No sensible person would waste their time arguing against excuses.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:43pm On Oct 08, 2012
Ihedinobi:

No sensible person would waste their time arguing against excuses.

Remember the adage by John Paul Getty who said:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig."
wink
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 12:46pm On Oct 08, 2012
God's word clearly says he is ONE.

You and the Catholics have divided him into three, this is heresy.

Let me show you some little glimpse into the catholic church's thought on this matter , direct from the Vatican web site. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p2.htm

234 The mystery of the Most Holy Trinity is the central mystery of Christian faith and life. It is the mystery of God in himself. It is therefore the source of all the other mysteries of faith, the light that enlightens them. It is the most fundamental and essential teaching in the "hierarchy of the truths of faith".56 The whole history of salvation is identical with the history of the way and the means by which the one true God, Father, Son and Holy Spirit, reveals himself to men "and reconciles and unites with himself those who turn away from sin".57

237 The Trinity is a mystery of faith in the strict sense, one of the "mysteries that are hidden in God, which can never be known unless they are revealed by God".58 To be sure, God has left traces of his Trinitarian being in his work of creation and in his Revelation throughout the Old Testament. But his inmost Being as Holy Trinity is a mystery that is inaccessible to reason alone or even t[b]o Israel's faith before the Incarnation of God's Son[/b] and the sending of the Holy Spirit.

The dogma of the Holy Trinity

253 The Trinity is One. We do not confess three Gods, but one God in three persons, the "consubstantial Trinity".83 The divine persons do not share the one divinity among themselves but each of them is God whole and entire: "The Father is that which the Son is, the Son that which the Father is, the Father and the Son that which the Holy Spirit is, i.e. by nature one God."84 In the words of the Fourth Lateran Council (1215), "Each of the persons is that supreme reality, viz., the divine substance, essence or nature."85

254 The divine persons are really distinct from one another. "God is one but not solitary."86 "Father", "Son", "Holy Spirit" are not simply names designating modalities of the divine being, for they are really distinct from one another: "He is not the Father who is the Son, nor is the Son he who is the Father, nor is the Holy Spirit he who is the Father or the Son."87 They are distinct from one another in their relations of origin: "It is the Father who generates, the Son who is begotten, and the Holy Spirit who proceeds."88 The divine Unity is Triune.

255 The divine persons are relative to one another. Because it does not divide the divine unity, the real distinction of the persons from one another resides solely in the relationships which relate them to one another: "In the relational names of the persons the Father is related to the Son, the Son to the Father, and the Holy Spirit to both. While they are called three persons in view of their relations, we believe in one nature or substance."89 Indeed "everything (in them) is one where there is no opposition of relationship."90 "Because of that unity the Father is wholly in the Son and wholly in the Holy Spirit; the Son is wholly in the Father and wholly in the Holy Spirit; the Holy Spirit is wholly in the Father and wholly in the Son."91

[size=13pt]This is the catholic trash you want us to believe in.[/size]
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:58pm On Oct 08, 2012
frosbel:

God's word clearly says he is ONE.

"You believe that there is one God; you do well: the devils also believe, and tremble. But will you know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?" (James 2:19).

If you claim to have faith but refuse to believe in God's revealed Word even when He reveals it through His Creation you faith is dead.

frosbel:
You and the Catholics have divided him into three, this is heresy.

Let me show you some little glimpse into the catholic church's thought on this matter , direct from the Vatican web site. http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_css/archive/catechism/p1s2c1p2.htm

[size=13pt]This is the catholic trash you want us to believe in.[/size]

I'm not here to defend Roman Catholic doctrine. The doctrine of the Bible which can be clearly seen by those who believe speaks for itself.

The Trinity In Creation

"In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light" (Genesis 1:1–3).

These incomparable words open God’s written revelation to man, telling us how our Time/Space/Matter universe came to exist. No other religious writings, ancient or modern, do this. All others begin with the assumption of an eternal, self-existing universe. The truth is, however, that the eternal, self-existing, transcendent, omnipotent Triune God simply called the universe into being by His word. "By the word of the LORD were the heavens made. . . . For He spake, and it was done" (Psalm 33:6,9).

The Hebrew for "God" is the uni-plural Elohim, a plural noun (as noted by the “im” ending), yet normally represented by a singular pronoun "He." This is the first foreshadowing of the marvelous doctrine of the Trinity—only one Creator God, yet functioning as three divine Persons. It is significant that His created universe is actually a tri-universe, with each of its distinct components (“beginning” = time; “heaven” = space; “earth” = matter) comprising and pervading the whole universe. Just as the Father is the source and background of all being, so space is the background of all that happens in the physical universe. Just as the Son manifests and speaks for the Father, so matter manifests and functions in space. Just as the Spirit interprets and energizes the Son and the Father in human experience, so space and matter are interpreted and experienced in phenomena operating in time.

The Father planned the work of creation, the Son did the work (“all things were made by Him”—John 1:3), and the Spirit energized it ("the Spirit of God moved"). The Triune God created and now sustains our tri-universe! HMM
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 1:04pm On Oct 08, 2012
^^^

You are a catholic , trust me.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:02pm On Oct 09, 2012
frosbel: ^^^

You are a catholic , trust me.

Of course I am catholic - the universal Church, the Body of Christ.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 4:30pm On Oct 11, 2012
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:49pm On Oct 19, 2012
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:58pm On Oct 19, 2012
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Nobody: 6:03pm On Oct 19, 2012
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:10pm On Oct 19, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

This is to answer the objections and misconceptions from cults and false religions that plague this thread against both the deity of Christ Jesus and the doctrine of the Godhead otherwise known as the doctrine of Trinity.

Objection 1:

Misconceptions of who Jesus as the Son of God is:

There are those who claim that because Jesus is the Son of God, to them He must be a lesser God than God the Father. Among the ancients, however, an important meaning of the phrase "Son of" is "one who has the same nature as."

Jesus, as the Son of God, has the very nature of God (John 5:18; 10:30; 19:7). He is thus not a lesser God.

Objection 2:

The Father Is "Greater" Than Jesus:

Some other cults and false religions object that because Jesus said the Father is "greater" than Him (John 14:28), this must mean Jesus is a lesser God. Biblically, however, Jesus is equal with the Father in His divine nature (John 10:30). He was positionally lower than the Father from the standpoint of His becoming a servant by taking on human likeness (Philipians 2:6-11). Positionally, then, the Father was "greater" than Jesus.

Objection 3. 

Jesus Is the Firstborn:

Some cults argue that because Jesus is the "firstborn of creation" (Colosians 1:15), He is a created being and hence cannot be truly God.  Biblically, however, Christ was not created but is the Creator (Colosians 1:16; John 1:3). 

The term firstborn, defined biblically, means Christ is "the first in rank" and "pre-eminent" over the creation He brought into being.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:02pm On Oct 21, 2012
OLAADEGBU: Objection 4. 

Jesus Is Not All-Knowing:

Some cults argue that because Jesus said no one knows the day or hour of His return except the Father (Mark 13:32), Jesus must not be all-knowing and hence must not be truly God. 

In response, Jesus in the Gospels sometimes spoke from the perspective of His divinity and at other times from the perspective of His humanity (Philipians 2:5-11).  Had He been speaking from His divinity, He would not have said He did not know the day or hour.  Other verses show that Christ, as God, knows all things (Matthew 17:27; Luke 5:4-6; John 2:25; 16:30; 21:17).

Objection 5. 

Jesus Prayed:

Some cults argue that because Jesus prayed to the Father, He could not truly be God. 

Biblically, however, it was in His humanity that Christ prayed to the Father.  Since Christ came as a man -- and since one of the proper duties of man is to worship, pray to and adore God -- it was perfectly proper for Jesus to address the Father in prayer.  Positionally speaking as a man, as a Jew and as our High Priest -- "in all things He had to be made like His brethren" (Hebrews 2:7) -- Jesus could pray to the Father.  But this in no way detracts from His intrinsic deity.

Objection 6. 

The Trinity Is Illogical:

Some cults claim the Trinity is illogical ("three in one"wink

In response, the Trinity does not entail three gods in one God, or three persons in one person.  Such claims would be nonsensical.  There is nothing contradictory, however, in affirming three persons in one God (or three whos in one what).
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:41pm On Oct 23, 2012
OLAADEGBU:

Objection 7.

The Trinity Is Pagan

Some cults have claimed the doctrine of the Trinity is rooted in ancient paganism in Babylon and Assyria.

In response, the Babylonians and Assyrians believed in triads of gods who headed up a pantheon of many other gods. These triads constituted three separate gods (polytheism), which is utterly different from the doctrine of Trinity that maintains that there is only one God (monotheism) with three person within the one Godhead.
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:56pm On Oct 23, 2012

OLAADEGBU:

Jesus is Kurios.

The New Testament Greek equivalent of the Old Testament Hebrew name Yahweh is Kurios. Used of God, Kurios carries the idea of a sovereign being who exercises absolute authority. The word is translated Lord in English translations of the Bible.

To an early Christian accustomed to reading the Old Testament, the word Lord, when used of Jesus, would point to His identification with the God of the Old Testament (Yahweh). Hence, the affirmation that "Jesus is Lord" (Kurios) in the New Testament constitutes a clear affirmation that Jesus is Yahweh, as is the case in passages like Romans 10:9, 1 Corinthians 12:3, and Philippians 2:5–11.

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 12:39pm On Nov 01, 2012

OLAADEGBU:

Jesus is Elohim.

Elohim is a Hebrew name that is used of God 2,570 times in the Old Testament. The name literally means "strong one," and its plural ending (im in Hebrew) indicates fullness of power. Elohim is portrayed in the Old Testament as the powerful and sovereign governor of the universe, ruling over the affairs of humankind.

Jesus is recognised as both Yahweh and Elohim in the prophecy in Isaiah 40:3:

"Prepare the way of the Lord [Yahweh]; make straight in the desert a highway for our God [Elohim]."

This verse was written in reference to John the Baptist preparing for the coming of Christ (as confirmed in John 1:23) and represents one of the strongest affirmations of Christ's deity in the Old Testament. In Isaiah 9:6, we likewise read a prophecy of Christ with a singular variant (El) of Elohim:

"And His name will be called Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God [El], Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 3:28pm On Nov 06, 2012

OLAADEGBU:

Jesus is Theos.

The New Testament Greek word for God, Theos, is the corresponding parallel to the Old Testament Hebrew term Elohim. A well-known example of Christ being addressed as God (Theos) is found in the story of "doubting Thomas" in John 20. In this passage, Thomas witnesses the resurrected Christ and worshipfully responds: "My Lord and my God [Theos]" (John 20:28 ).

Jesus is called Theos throughout the rest of the New Testament. For example, when a jailer asked Paul and Silas how to be saved, they responded: "Believe on the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household" (Acts 16:31). After the jailer believed and became saved, he "rejoiced, having believed in God [Theos] with all his household" (verse 34). Believing in Christ and believing in God are seen as identical acts.

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Boomark(m): 7:10pm On Jan 31, 2013
Ola, this will help you understand the meaning of "Godhead," so that you stop drawing triangle for us to describe it.

Boomark: Godhead

trinitarians need to ask themselves:
what is all fullness?
What is Godhead?

Col 2:9
For in him dwelleth all the fullnessof the Godhead bodily.

Note carefully that Godhead is dwelling in Christ. He is not part or in Godhead but it dwells in him. Godhead means God's nature, divine qualities. Research it.

Colossians 1:19-20
New International Version (NIV)
19 For God was pleased to have all
his fullness dwell in him, 20 and
through him to reconcile to himself
all things, whether things on earth
or things in heaven, by making
peace through his blood, shed on
the cross.

For it pleases the Father to have the fullness of His nature(Godhead) in Christ. So that through Christ Godwill reconcile everything back to Himself and no other person.

Romans 1:19-20
King James Version (KJV)
19 Because that which may be
known of God is manifest in them;
for God hath shewed it unto them.
20 For the invisible things of him
from the creation of the world are
clearly seen, being understood by
the things that are made, even his
eternal power and Godhead;
so
that they are without excuse:

This one will help you understand that eternal power and Godhead is something that belongs to the Father and not that He is in it.

Ephesians 1:22-23
New International Version (NIV)
22 And God placed all things under
his feet and appointed him to be
head over everything for the
church, 23 which is his body, the
fullness of him who fills everything
in every way.

It is God that gave Christ the authority he has by putting all things under his feet. But you are mistaken by making him equal to God after seeing the authority he possess. It is God that fills everything He pleases with His fullness.

Godhead is not made up 3 persons but it is God's nature or qualities.

Any Objection?
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:10pm On Apr 12, 2013
Jesus Possesses the Attributes of God

Jesus possesses attributes that belong only to God.

"Jesus is Eternal".

Jesus is eternal. John 1:1 affirms:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

The word was in this verse is an imperfect tense, indicating continuous, ongoing existence. When the timespace universe came into being, Christ already existed (Hebrews 1:8–11).

Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:17am On May 08, 2013
Greater Than Jesus?

"If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28)

Three times previously in this chapter, the Lord had affirmed His equality with God the Father. The first occurred in verse one: "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me." No man could utter these words, but the Lord Jesus is the God-man. He was and is on a full equality with God the Father.

And then, "Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?" (v.9). Seeing the Lord Jesus is seeing the Father.

Finally, Jesus said (v.23), "If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him." The "we" in this verse places Jesus on an equality with His Father.

What, then, does our text mean? How can the Father both be "greater than" Jesus and also on an equality with Him? How are we to understand this truth?

At this time, Christ’s state of humiliation for us was one of utter humiliation. He would soon be ridiculed, nailed to a cross, left hanging on it—naked, and forsaken by God. His Father, therefore, was indeed "greater than" Jesus at that time because He, the Father, was in heaven’s glory. Jesus, God’s divine Son, by way of contrast, was on earth—soon to become glory.

After the resurrection, however, the Father gave to His Son the name "which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow. . . . And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father" (Philippians 2:10,11). The "greater than" issue ended when Jesus returned to be with His Father in heaven’s glory. PGH

For more . . . .
Re: The Evidence For The Deity Of Christ. by Sunglow: 5:20am On Jun 30, 2013
kola oloye: All these your analysis A=C is your own conclusion.Jesus never called himself God. All your quotations from the book of Colossians is just like what you are trying to proof that if A=B and B=C then A=C. The writers statement was not confirmed either by Jesus or any of the Apostles. You can see the confirmation of what I was telling you by the Lord himself . He,Jesus, referred to God as my father in heaven.Jesus is not the Jehovah. Nobody can kill the Almighty God.He cannot be crucified for the sins of the people he created. Before we proceed kindly give me the scripture in the entire Bible where Jesus called or confirmed himself as Jehovah.
Jesus is God,4 he said i and my father are one.He who have seen me have seen d father.wen u get 2 heaven who do u think u wil see sitting on d throne?Jesus off course!

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (Reply)

Examples Of What Happened When Famous People Challenged And Mocked God / Muhammad Is Mentioned By The Exact Name In The Gospel Of Barnabas / South African Pastor Feeds Church Members Engine Oil (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 144
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.