Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,280 members, 7,829,629 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:49 AM

A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage (38997 Views)

Doctor Divorces His Beauty Queen Wife After Discovering She's A Secret Call Girl / Uncle Set To Divorce Wife After Plumber Removed 23 Condoms Blocking Our Toilet.. / 15-Year-Old Chinwe Married To Older Man Has Been Returned To Her Parents (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Graduateacher(f): 4:13pm On Jul 23, 2019
lexy2014:

First of all, what is Christian marriage? What does it entail? Where is it in d bible? Where did d Bible say u should honour God by doing Christian wedding?

Here u say all 3 marriages are recognized by law but earlier u said some types of marriage are unconstitutional and d constitution recognises only one. U aren't consistent with ur points. Pls clarify ur contradictions

You're not reading my post well, try to read before quoting
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Graduateacher(f): 4:16pm On Jul 23, 2019
bixton:

You are bringing up matters that necessarily does not concern the subject topic.
God the father, instituted the first joining and marriage recorded in the Bible. He is both the Father of the Adam and Eve.
Now from the children of Adam and Eve who instituted their marriages?
From the marriages of Abraham down to the last son of Jacob who instituted their marriages?
Who instituted the marriages of Moses, Aaron, Joshua; please kindly point to the Bible verses as reference.

This idea of pastor or priest as spiritual leader where did it come from, is it scriptural from the Bible?
Did you see any of the apostles referring to any man as their spiritual leader?
Or can you point to where such was used, or persons like giving interpretations to what was never said or written?
Kindly read Matthew 23:9.

Continue deceiving yourself. The idea of a religious leader blessing a union comes from the book of Genesis. If you don't believe that your priests and pastors act as God's servants and representatives then don't bother calling yourself a Christian. God ordained marriage and the presence of these spiritual leaders in your union should remind you of that
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by shadeyinka(m): 4:21pm On Jul 23, 2019
HabaHaba:

So, in effect you are saying once the Traditional Marriage has been done, they are free to consummate the marriage?

If yes, you are in line with OP assertions.
Yes as long as it is their last marriage rite!

If traditional marriage would have to be followed by ANOTHER marriage/wedding, then one of the two weddings is NULL and VOID.

How many legal marriages do you think a person can do before his marriage is valid?
C
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by MrSix: 4:34pm On Jul 23, 2019
tee59:
Just speak for yourself. I'm not agreeing to that.

Airhead!
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by MrSix: 4:35pm On Jul 23, 2019
zainaboo19:
no I disagree its only on honey moon a man can sleep with me
You'd be straffed like three times this week. Honey ABI Hot moon.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by MrSix: 4:39pm On Jul 23, 2019
franciskaine:
the writer is even getting it mixed up. That Christianity started among the white doesn't make it white wedding. It's rather religious wedding, without which a man and woman are not certified married in a Christian community. The white wedding is the court wedding and not the wedding done in the church. If we are to follow his supposition, then the Islamic wedding is also a white wedding dat negates our tradition.

He should be more concerned on why people spend so much on wedding and go begging soon after. Even the Christian wedding doesn't say u must have a flamboyant wedding unlike what is the norm nowadays.
Sire...
I think it's best you follow the context of the OP. Don't interpolate yours.

2 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 5:04pm On Jul 23, 2019
Ofcourse he does, traditional wedding is the main wedding. Take it to the bank. But we Nigerians love to go extra, always copying whites and their culture

2 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 5:11pm On Jul 23, 2019
Graduateacher:

Continue deceiving yourself. The idea of a religious leader blessing a union comes from the book of Genesis. If you don't believe that your priests and pastors act as God's servants and representatives then don't bother calling yourself a Christian. God ordained marriage and the presence of these spiritual leaders in your union should remind you of that

You are the one deceiving yourself and you think you are a Christian.
Are you a Christian and do you know what it takes to become a Christian?
Do you think anyone is born into this world a Christian?

3 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 5:16pm On Jul 23, 2019
lexy2014:

Am not aware that there is a law that is y I asked d lady. Maybe she knows something that we don't.

So if there's no law regarding types of marriage, that means there's no biblically approved type of wedding
If Jewish traditional wedding is what d Bible recorded, that is because its a reflection of d Jewish people. I don't believe d Bible will now expect us in Africa to marry according to Jewish tenets when we aren't Jews. So therefore, African traditional wedding is d way to go

Okay.
Instead of people to push for the negative aspects of traditional wedding to be expunged they are borrowing another man's culture.
Alot of age long miss-interpretation about the Bible has infested men and they are not ready to sit down, read and study the scriptures.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Funkybabee(f): 5:43pm On Jul 23, 2019
which one is white marriage, I just know church, tradition and court wedding..
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by don89(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2019
Even when she is no longer a virgin , I trust our men these days ,even before introduction, they have already started bleeping, white wedding ko! black wedding ni.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by djon78(m): 5:49pm On Jul 23, 2019
shadeyinka:

How many marriages should one do?
One,
Two or
Three?

Traditional Marriage is real marriage BUT Tony come to church for another marriage. That is deception.

Do married people come to the church for joining?
If you do come, then iteans you are not married yet!

I asked you which biblical scripture backs up this your statement and you are answering another thing.

I have searched the scriptures and no where did the apostles sanctioned marriage.
But churches now sanction marriage

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Sterope(f): 5:50pm On Jul 23, 2019
What do you call the Introduction, engagement and traditional marriage?

It is subjective. You are welcome to your opinions.

shadeyinka:

No! It isn't subjective. It is common sense.

Can one marry the same person twice without a divorce?

I support Traditional weddings or marriages: but don't come to the church to do ANOTHER wedding except you mean that the first wedding is just a mere formality
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by SIRTee15: 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2019
Graduateacher:

Referencing from the first wedding in the book of Genesis, the Lord himself precided over it. It was his idea. Now, we as Christians are not worshipping any other God besides the one who conducted the first marriage ceremony. Now, who are the people representing God here on earth, is it your ancestor or your spiritual leader which is your priest or pastor. Was libation, kolanut and offering to the gods of the land conducted by God when he brought Adam and Eve together?

Regarding the wedding in Cana, which God do the Jews serve? isn't He the same God we Christians are serving? was Jesus a Jew or not?

Traditional wedding is the marriage of our culture...
U don't need to pour libation or render any offerings if u not into such practice...
Most people even get their pastors to pray for them during the wedding ceremony...

Traditional wedding is the valid ceremony in Nigeria that recognise a couple as husband and wife....
That's why all churches now insist couples must first sort out the traditional wedding before proceeding for church wedding...
No church in Nigeria will join u as couples without performing either the court ceremony or the traditional wedding....
So it begs the question....why perform 2 or 3 weddings when the church recognises traditional wedding as valid....
Why does the church join together those who are already married....
It completely illogical and leaves room for ambiguity...the reason for this recurring arguments....

I think this problem emanated from the Yoruba culture, where the traditional wedding is called engagement and people see it as partial fulfilment of marriage rites....
Especially among the Yoruba middle class....

The easterners don't have such problems...
Once u pay the bride price.....shikena, the bride is yours....
The bride even follow the groom home same day....
And I know most brides' parents don't even bother to attend the white wedding especially if the venue is in the groom's place....

It's good we having this discussion....
White wedding is irrelevant and an unnecessary burden on young couples....
It has no place on our value system, culture or even the constitution....
Couples are free to proceed to any religious institution for blessing post wedding ceremony....
That's ok and I think their role should be limited to that....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by lexy2014: 6:26pm On Jul 23, 2019
Graduateacher:

Referencing from the first wedding in the book of Genesis, the Lord himself precided over it. It was his idea. Now, we as Christians are not worshipping any other God besides the one who conducted the first marriage ceremony. Now, who are the people representing God here on earth, is it your ancestor or your spiritual leader which is your priest or pastor. Was libation, kolanut and offering to the gods of the land conducted by God when he brought Adam and Eve together?

Regarding the wedding in Cana, which God do the Jews serve? isn't He the same God we Christians are serving? was Jesus a Jew or not?

D Bible says God brought Eve to Adam. Since then, does God bring wives 4 husbands? Was it God that brought wife for Jacob, Moses and david d way he brought for Adam?
Did Adam& Eve exchange marital vows like they do in churches today?

D Bible says that Eve was made from Adams rib. Was Rebekah made from Isaacs rib? Was Michal made from Davids rib? Was Zipporah made from Moses' rib?

When Jacob, David, Moses and Isaac got married, was it God that presided over their weddings? What type of wedding did they have, church wedding or traditional wedding?

Even if d Jews serve God does that mean that they do church wedding? What does church wedding entail& what does Jewish wedding entail? Are they d same thing? Is it d ceremony?

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by dragunov: 6:39pm On Jul 23, 2019
Michelle55:
Super true!! She's your wife legally once the brideprice is paid and everything settled traditionally. White wedding is just a celebration of marriage (besides its not compulsory)
It's a waste of money

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by shadeyinka(m): 7:53pm On Jul 23, 2019
Sterope:
What do you call the Introduction, engagement and traditional marriage?

It is subjective. You are welcome to your opinions.

Seems you don't understand me!
Traditional marriage is a VALID marriage.
However, if you still need the validation of "Church" then the traditional marriage becomes a mere ceremony AS the church cannot be joining together ANEW already married couples.

Traditional marriage is OK but people shouldn't demean it by doing ANOTHER marriage after it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by shadeyinka(m): 7:58pm On Jul 23, 2019
djon78:

I asked you which biblical scripture backs up this your statement and you are answering another thing.

I have searched the scriptures and no where did the apostles sanctioned marriage.
But churches now sanction marriage
I am not against traditional marriage: it is a valid marriage by every scriptural standard. But people demean it by doing ANOTHER marriage (in the church); this is wrong.

It is better to do church blessings and not ANOTHER wedding (that would be lying to the officiating priests that you are unmarried and you want to get married)

3 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Ritaokafor(f): 8:18pm On Jul 23, 2019
FuckThaMod:

No oo.. No time for patience. Immediately I'm dropping the bride price we heading straight to the bedroom, Man blood dey hot.

You go still tire my brother. Marriage is not all about sex! Godly parenting, home and financial management matter too.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by FuckThaMod: 8:42pm On Jul 23, 2019
Ritaokafor:

You go still tire my brother. Marriage is not all about sex! Godly parenting, home and financial management matter too.
I know, first thing first make i tire grin
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by lexy2014: 9:00pm On Jul 23, 2019
Graduateacher:

You're not reading my post well, try to read before quoting

I have read ur posts and it's upon d basis of what u posted that i asked u questions except u arent sure what u wrote. Obviously, u can't defend what ur extra-biblical injunctions
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 11:46pm On Jul 23, 2019
mamajj17:
Lucky me i can go for any Styles grin grin grin oya my Man give it to me grin grin grin
it's a sin dear
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by mamajj17(f): 7:19am On Jul 24, 2019
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
it's a sin dear

My dear haba, says who? After Traditional Marriage Rite grin grin grin ;DAbeg may i enjoy cheesy
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by ABOVEDELAW: 7:34am On Jul 24, 2019
YOU ARE RIGHT TO SOME EXTENT BUT DO YOUR GOVERNMENT RECOGNISE TRADITIONAL MARRIAGES IN ORDER TO ISSUE YOU WITH A MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE? METHINKS THAT'S THE ESSENCE OF WHITE WEDDINGS IN AFRICA.
Rapmoney:
It is so ridiculous and shameful at the same time that in our society, people have become so religiously blind to the extent where our traditions no longer have the slightest of value, regard or relevance. It is this shameful disregard for customs and traditions that has made many Nigerians to have a picture of a day called 'wedding night'. It is usually expected that a man and his wife should make love only after the wedding ceremony. That night after the wedding is usually seen as the 'right time' for loving making to take place between the couple. This practice is a symbol of cultural slavery among Africans!

For those who claim to profess Christianity even more than the missionaries, the Early Church headed by Simon Peter concerned itself with leading people to salvation and not to ordain or organise marriages. All marriages recorded in the Holy Book were done or consummated traditionally, according to the customs of the people; including the one Jesus attended in Galilee! This should clearly show the 'religious zealots' that marriage is more of tradition than religion.

White wedding as the name implies is for white people. It has never been a religious way of joining a man and a woman together; it is the cultural and traditional marriage practice among westerners. After all, the Jewish people have their customary way of getting married. Why did the Europeans and Americans not copy them? Africans readily accept alien practice pushed down to them without any slight resistance even if such practice makes mockery of their customs and traditions.

If a mother sends one of her children to go and wash plates and when that child is done with the task, she sends another one to re-wash the plates, it means the work of the first child is not good enough. This is what Africans indirectly tell the westerners: 'Our marriage customs are not good enough; yours are better'.

A man has every right to sleep with his wife immediately after the bride price is paid and the traditional marriage rites are carried out. Same thing applies to the woman. Let us stop enslaving ourselves culturally. After traditional marriage, sex becomes a duty to be enjoyed and not a taboo!

We should learn from the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans and the entire Asian continent who have succeeded in preserving their culture. Between white wedding and traditional marriage, the former is the alien one and should be seen and treated as such.

From my platform,
Facebook.com/warriparrot
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by ABOVEDELAW: 7:37am On Jul 24, 2019
DID YOU SAY LEGALLY? WILL THE GOVERNMENT ISSUE YOU A LEGAL MARRIAGE CERTIFICATE AFTER YOUR TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE?
Michelle55:
Super true!! She's your wife legally once the brideprice is paid and everything settled traditionally. White wedding is just a celebration of marriage (besides its not compulsory)
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 11:32am On Jul 24, 2019
mamajj17:

My dear haba, says who? After Traditional Marriage Rite grin grin grin ;DAbeg may i enjoy cheesy
GOD needs to bless it first. if u have already done it u beta go and seek God for forgiveness.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by mamajj17(f): 12:28pm On Jul 24, 2019
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
GOD needs to bless it first. if u have already done it u beta go and seek God for forgiveness.

grin grin grin i will Sir cheesy
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 12:51pm On Jul 24, 2019
mamajj17:

u married already right?
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 12:52pm On Jul 24, 2019
mamajj17:

u married already right?
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by mamajj17(f): 3:45pm On Jul 24, 2019
EzeIgboNwaChukwu:
u married already right?

Am married wit 3 lovely Boys cheesy
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by EzeIgboNwaChukwu(m): 5:48pm On Jul 24, 2019
mamajj17:

Am married wit 3 lovely Boys cheesy
congrats dear. saw ur posts earlier where u told someone u have 3 handsome boys cool
Glory be to God.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Alejobs: 6:00pm On Jul 24, 2019
You can only cheat someone once but a good deal can bring a million customer

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons / Guys, Can You Go In With Your Wife To Labour Room? / Photos Of A Man's Dirty House Got Twitter Users Arguing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.