Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,193 members, 7,822,026 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:13 AM

A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage (38978 Views)

Doctor Divorces His Beauty Queen Wife After Discovering She's A Secret Call Girl / Uncle Set To Divorce Wife After Plumber Removed 23 Condoms Blocking Our Toilet.. / 15-Year-Old Chinwe Married To Older Man Has Been Returned To Her Parents (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:03am On Jul 23, 2019
Graduateacher:

Marriage is honorable and the bed undefiled. Read through the wedding at Cana which Jesus attended. Will Christ attend a traditional ceremony which entails libation pouring and other sacrifices to gods of the land, will he perform miracles and manifest his signs in such a place?

If you honor traditional marriage over church wedding which is blessed by a priest/pastor then you are not fully a practicing Christian. I find most Africans swinging both ways especially when it concerns burial and marriage.

Marriage blessing can be done as simply as inviting a priest/pastor to bless your union in the presence of your parents/family, it doesn't necessarily entail the fanfare we see today

Chose who you will follow, as for me and my family, we will serve God.

So in your interpretation, traditional marriage should be abolished?
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by deebrain(m): 11:05am On Jul 23, 2019
You are right.

The real marriage is the traditional marriage.

The reason why church marriage is yet required amongst Christians is because, its more or less the "discipline" marriage.

In African traditional marriage, you can marry as many women as possible. Ditto for the courts if you have a good reason.

In church marriage, you aside being getting married to your woman, you are taking an oath to be with only her for life. Any other marriage after this is taken with great reservations.

That's why many countries for documentation reasons approve church or mosque and court marriages to prevent possible complications rather than traditional marriages.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:05am On Jul 23, 2019
kilisi:

This is absolutely true. Although it is good to register your marriage with government for future necessities.

I don't understand what you mean by future necessities.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by veesion: 11:08am On Jul 23, 2019
Hmm
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 23, 2019
bros why are you like this?, most men in Nigeria have been fornicating with their intended even before before they do introduction, as a professional sales person I always advice my clients to try out the product before buying.

product testing is a basic human right.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:15am On Jul 23, 2019
Arysexy:
I hope with your so called traditional marriage u can claim Ur spouse's estate? Or use it to obtain visa?

If u are a Christian, what joins u and Ur wife is a Christian marriage or blessing backed by certificate. Same for a Muslim. Traditional marriage only bring both families together to agree to let their children unite.

Does traditional marriage issue certificate of marriage?

Does the certificate stop a man from divorcing his wife?
Does the certificate stop a man from infidelity?

The essence of marriage is a unification of 2 persons(body and spirit) becoming as one and keeping true to each other. It does not rests on certificate or rings or hand bands.

The use of certificate for issuance of visa etc,etc, is for a different purpose and if you go through the process you'll see that it was specifically formulated because of the women folk as proof to be shown.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Omudia11: 11:15am On Jul 23, 2019
When a man deceives you with only traditional marriage, without white wedding or court marriage I hope you won't come crying in the future when it boomerangs. If you don't know the benefits of white or court marriage then please ask questions.
Tina26:
any wedding asides traditional wedding is a waste of time and money

2 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by akdjr(m): 11:16am On Jul 23, 2019
A man has every right to sleep with a girl whom you are not married to as long as both of you agree to Nack. 80% of the couple's around the world had sex before they were legally married.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Otunba2004(m): 11:20am On Jul 23, 2019
Rapmoney:
It is so ridiculous and shameful at the same time that in our society, people have become so religiously blind to the extent where our traditions no longer have the slightest of value, regard or relevance. It is this shameful disregard for customs and traditions that has made many Nigerians to have a picture of a day called 'wedding night'. It is usually expected that a man and his wife should make love only after the wedding ceremony. That night after the wedding is usually seen as the 'right time' for loving making to take place between the couple. This practice is a symbol of cultural slavery among Africans!

For those who claim to profess Christianity even more than the missionaries, the Early Church headed by Simon Peter concerned itself with leading people to salvation and not to ordain or organise marriages. All marriages recorded in the Holy Book were done or consummated traditionally, according to the customs of the people; including the one Jesus attended in Galilee! This should clearly show the 'religious zealots' that marriage is more of tradition than religion.

White wedding as the name implies is for white people. It has never been a religious way of joining a man and a woman together; it is the cultural and traditional marriage practice among westerners. After all, the Jewish people have their customary way of getting married. Why did the Europeans and Americans not copy them? Africans readily accept alien practice pushed down to them without any slight resistance even if such practice makes mockery of their customs and traditions.

If a mother sends one of her children to go and wash plates and when that child is done with the task, she sends another one to re-wash the plates, it means the work of the first child is not good enough. This is what Africans indirectly tell the westerners: 'Our marriage customs are not good enough; yours are better'.

A man has every right to sleep with his wife immediately after the bride price is paid and the traditional marriage rites are carried out. Same thing applies to the woman. Let us stop enslaving ourselves culturally. After traditional marriage, sex becomes a duty to be enjoyed and not a taboo!

We should learn from the Japanese, Chinese, Koreans and the entire Asian continent who have succeeded in preserving their culture. Between white wedding and traditional marriage, the former is the alien one and should be seen and treated as such.

From my platform,
Facebook.com/warriparrot
kudos bro you nailed it right at the head, as you can see bible only recognised paying of dowries which is traditional marriage you're talking about not white wedding but most of African people especially Nigerian has been brainwashed with foreign religion by their so called fake pastors mind you am a Christian but doing specifically what my bible say not what my pastor said, most of them fighting for pastor never one day carry the Bible and read it but believe anything coming out of their pastors, my brother may God help us, we are so religious but not Godly.

2 Likes

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:20am On Jul 23, 2019
deleyi20:
Correct me if I am wrong. But the real white wedding is done at the Registry where the government recognised certificate is issued.

The law also recognises traditional marriages which the customary court is in charge. Please read about it.
The purpose of the court wedding and certificate issue is for a different intending unforseen reason. This of which even a person's WILL can over ride.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by mamajj17(f): 11:20am On Jul 23, 2019
Lucky me i can go for any Styles grin grin grin oya my Man give it to me grin grin grin
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by kilisi(m): 11:21am On Jul 23, 2019
bixton:

I don't understand what you mean by future necessities.
Travelling out, alimony......
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Omudia11: 11:23am On Jul 23, 2019
Please who forced Jesus to turn water into wine?
naijadrivablog:
True! Africans overdo things. A very popular church in Nigeria forbids a husband and wife to have sex or live together after traditional wedding until they do "white wedding".

I ask, the wedding that Jesus Christ attended where he was " forced" to turn water into water, was it not a traditional marriage?

As soon as the bride price is paid in a traditional marriage, a marriage has started. Court marriage and "white" wedding are just celebrations/additions.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:26am On Jul 23, 2019
PHIPEX:
Some people don't even know the supposed WHITE WEDDING is only about 250yrs since it started. That's why it was never mentioned in the Bible, they run full scale with a tradition that has no Biblical basis and feel they have fulfilled all righteousness.

Neither Jesus nor any of the disciplines conducted a wedding ceremony. The error of white wedding is same as the error of tithe, imposing and teaching other people's culture on children of God as commandments.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_wedding

There's no error in tithe.
The only error is from those who interpret it for whatsoever reasons best known to them.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Otunba2004(m): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2019
grin
Lordave:
Dumb girls everywhere!

They expect to consummate their marriage only after the useless white wedding, but this same dolts won't mind sucking and riding wrinkled dícks of men old enough to be their grandfather while still in that relationship with her husband to be.
grin grin bad guy, that's the truth
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:30am On Jul 23, 2019
kilisi:

Travelling out, alimony......

Okay.
As regards alimony, I think the Nigerian system needs to look into prenuptial agreements.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by salt1: 11:31am On Jul 23, 2019
akdjr:
A man has every right to sleep with a girl whom you are not married to as long as both of you agree to Nack. 80% of the couple's around the world had sex before they were legally married.

Children! You just pull up statistics from no where. Enjoy!

The last time I knew, there's freedom of worship in Nigeria. If you don't agree with an organization's teaching, you move to another. It's a free world. I chose to belong to an organization that teaches no sex until after the Church/legal wedding (in my Church, it's one and the same ceremony), and my spouse and I waited until then to consummate the relationship. We're still very happy that we did. We have fond memories of our wedding night and we're very happy in our marriage.

If you choose to consummate after TM, your life and your choice. If you choose to lie that you hadn't so that pastor can wed you, it's still your life and your choice.
Don't run anybody down or insult another as being brainwashed.
You that aren't brainwashed, I haven't seen your fantastic earthshaking inventions. Or maybe, you're busy inventing insults

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Amacaco: 11:39am On Jul 23, 2019
There are four kinds of Marriages recognized under Nigerian Law viz: (a)court marriage (b) christian Marriage; (c) Customary marriage and (d) Islamic Marriage. Court and Christian Marriages are called Marriage under the Act. Most marriages are a hybrid of customary and christian marriage but are strictly recognized by law as customary marriage because the Church blessing and ceremonies do not add anything to the customary marriage which had already been contracted with the payment of bride price and fulfillment of customary rites. So if one sleeps with his wife after payment of bride price, you are strictly within your legal rights. But if you are a member of a particular Church which forbids sexual intercourse before Church blessing, you are bound by the rules of your Church as disobedience and rebellion everywhere is Sin before God. Strictly Speaking, Marriage under the Act does not require payment of bride price and parental consent but consent of the two adults intending to get married. Fornication and adultery therefore in these cases will arise where the two have not completed the requirements and process under the Marriage Act.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by NoToPile: 11:45am On Jul 23, 2019
All this story arises because of those that will do traditional marriage today, fix church wedding 6-8 months later.

Cant all ceremonies be done within a week, days even?

I still cant wrap my head around the long space people put between both ceremonies.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 23, 2019
Ode nie. When you realize white wedding is the traditional wedding of the white people. Sense would fall on you
tee59:
Just speak for yourself. I'm not agreeing to that.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Nobody: 11:48am On Jul 23, 2019
Once I pay ur bride price and you refuse to give me premium logins, I will simply cancel my subscription and ask for refund. No long talk.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by karli4nia(m): 11:52am On Jul 23, 2019
Criticaltemp:
Traditional marriage is far na, immediately after the introduction ceremony.. Oga, na ur wife b DAT.. Whether u pay her BP or not.. Uve made ur intentions known so ure now her hubby..

Introduction far sef... Once its settle BTW the couple and their God, they can have sex...as sex is the real marriage..
Marriage is Spiritual. If they wish, they make it official and legal via a marriage registry.
Too many confused and misguided religious fanatical and hypocritical folks think otherwise..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by InvertedHammer: 11:53am On Jul 23, 2019
/
Is this a post from 1914 or 2019?

Folks sleep with each other years before marriage (which may not happen) comes into the picture.

/

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Comedian2019: 11:55am On Jul 23, 2019
Michelle55:
lol.. Honestly, that's their business. Na only one wedding Jesus attend and I take it that it's traditional marriage( everyone with his or her own belief) white wedding is what we adopted from the white and it's has become a bone of contention here.. Here in Nigeria, if you never do white wedding, you never marry be that.
Don't mind them. Inferiority complex no go kill us.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by vital94(m): 11:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Problem with traditional marriage is that it doesn't have a certificate, please let the traditional rulers issue marriage certificate to couple to make it more important. For me both traditional and church are important.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by bixton(m): 11:58am On Jul 23, 2019
Amacaco:
There are four kinds of Marriages recognized under Nigerian Law viz: (a)court marriage (b) christian Marriage; (c) Customary marriage and (d) Islamic Marriage. Court and Christian Marriages are called Marriage under the Act. Most marriages are a hybrid of customary and christian marriage but are strictly recognized by law as customary marriage because the Church blessing and ceremonies do not add anything to the customary marriage which had already been contracted with the payment of bride price and fulfillment of customary rites. So if one sleeps with his wife after payment of bride price, you are strictly within your legal rights. [b]But if you are a member of a particular Church which [/b]forbids sexual intercourse before Church blessing, [b]you are bound by the rules of your Church as disobedience and rebellion [/b]everywhere is Sin before God. Strictly Speaking, Marriage under the Act does not require payment of bride price and parental consent but consent of the two adults intending to get married. Fornication and adultery therefore in these cases will arise where the two have not completed the requirements and process under the Marriage Act.

As regards the bold as long as it conforms to the word of God as written in the Holy Bible then it's right.

There are too many age long miss-interpretations of the word of God and people will still use them against those who do not the study the Bible.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by deltateam: 11:59am On Jul 23, 2019
Nat404:
Common sense is not common for you.

Everyone has the right to his or her belief. Don't insult anyone because of it.

I believe white wedding may not be compulsory especially where money is an impediment but then you can opt for church blessing in its place.

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by deltateam: 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
zainaboo19:
no I disagree its only on honey moon a man can sleep with me

grin Is there a honey in the moon? Honeymoon is only for virgins.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Nat404: 12:02pm On Jul 23, 2019
deltateam:

Everyone has the right to his or her belief. Don't insult anyone because of it.

I believe white wedding may not be compulsory especially where money is an impediment but then you can opt for church blessing in its place.
This is not about having the right, this is about having common sense.

Stop sounding like an adolescent!

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by Graduateacher(f): 12:17pm On Jul 23, 2019
Grupo:

Where did your God tell you to wear white dress and go to church for you to be married?

Read my post again, I said church wedding only needs the presence of the minister of God and the couple and members of both immediate extended families (a cousin of mine married like this), if anybody choses to make theirs elaborate, that is their business. The white dress was to signify purity of the bride but now that almost every bride is pregnant during church wedding, there's absolutely no point in wearing it. The vail was to show virginity but now that people engage in premarital sex, there's no point in wearing it.
Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by jamesbridget13(f): 12:23pm On Jul 23, 2019
It's d bitter truth. You can imagine i n hubby had our trad around march dat year but we had to be questioned about sex because our wedding was slated for may. My hubby told d pastor that we had sex. He said we shld not do it again grin grin grin. Na wa

1 Like

Re: A Man Has Every Right To Sleep With His Wife After Traditional Marriage by betterpikinn: 12:30pm On Jul 23, 2019
franciskaine:
the writer is even getting it mixed up. That Christianity started among the white doesn't make it white wedding. It's rather religious wedding, without which a man and woman are not certified married in a Christian community. The white wedding is the court wedding and not the wedding done in the church. If we are to follow his supposition, then the Islamic wedding is also a white wedding dat negates our tradition.

He should be more concerned on why people spend so much on wedding and go begging soon after. Even the Christian wedding doesn't say u must have a flamboyant wedding unlike what is the norm nowadays.
You're the one wallowing in confusion.
Any wedding you do using your religius guideline is a traditional wedding.
YOUR RELIGION IS YOUR TRADITION!
Not until u invite sango or ahmadioha

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Sex-Starved Banker’s Wife Contemplates Suicide As Husband Abducts 3 Kids (photo) / Nkechi Opara Missing. Please Notify If You See This Missing Lady! / Children Of Today Don't Know In Our Days We Were Beaten For These Reasons

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.