Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,214 members, 7,829,354 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:18 AM

Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter (40306 Views)

Peter Obi And The Return To The Royal Niger Corporatist State / Kano Commissioner Of Police, Wakil M. Trends On Twitter. See Why / Nnamdi Kanu Trends On Twitter As Atiku From Cameroon Story Gone Viral (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Mujtahida: 7:11am On Jul 27, 2019
selemempe:
a lie told severally. Who was zik during the 1954 lytlton constitution? A premiere of eastern region....who and who sat in parliament during that era? Wat power does zik have in 1954 to determine wat will be in the constitution? Can u prove this baseless allegation or is it another ''my papa told me'' tale?
Zik opposed the inclusion of cessation clause in the 1954 constitution.

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2019/04/27/flashback-why-i-opposed-awolowo-on-secession-zik/

2 Likes

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by luminouz(m): 7:38am On Jul 27, 2019
GrabHisBalls:
That's the school you attended.

I recall I did in SS1 before deciding I was going to be a science student. The history of Nigeria was taught, the first Europeans: Richard Lander and John Lander were taught. grin Imagine, I still recall the Lander brothers after so long. Though, 1yr wasn't enough to properly teach History, but I guess they needed us to know the basic.

Now, my brother is studying Computer science in RSU and History is one of his general course.
So u think all of us attended a Behind private secondary school like u abi? tongue
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by codemaniacs: 7:51am On Jul 27, 2019
zz

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by codemaniacs: 7:51am On Jul 27, 2019
zz
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Turboking(m): 8:42am On Jul 27, 2019
Xisnin:

No. Igbos villages have rudimentary "parliamentary" government and some had kings.
And they are never under anybody, so Kanu or any other person can never be a legitimate
ruler of Igboland because such an arrangement is against Igbo history.
All Igbo villages must get their own country.
surely you are a child of history God bless you again nd again
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by foxe(m): 8:54am On Jul 27, 2019
MetaPhysical:
Pre- colonial Ibo was politically under Igala domination. Arochukwu was not an independent state and neither was Aguleri.

Ijaw dominated trade and the creek waterways. Since there were no roads, Ibos were dependent on Ijaw to ferry them across waters whether to market or on visits to neighboring villages. Thus Ijaws had opportunity to control access and hence ambush slaves.

Ibos were saved from their Igala colonizers by the oil palm merchants who saw palm oil as a replacement stock for slave trade. They set up operations hinterland after securing Treaty with Attah Igala. This operation was the beginning of Royal Niger Company on the land. Slave trading was abolished and so the capture of Ibo for exchange was outlawed. Britain faced fierce hostilities from Igala and Ijaw. Hence they figured if they empower the enslaved they could get advantage of using Ibo vengeance as counterforce against the hostile people. This is what made Ibo a majority tribe. Colonial Britain, Merchants and missionaries empowered and used them to dismantle the structured power of Igala and Ijaw.

Ask Ijaw to produce their Treaty, they will show you. Ask Igala to produce their Treaty, they will show you. Now, ask Ibo to produce Treaty, they have none!

Their record of nationhood is a receipt of purchase from Royal Niger Company. Hence they were not a part of British Nigeria to begin with. Ibo can leave Nigeria any fckng time they want....but they dont have a clue on how to present their unique case diplomatically...what they understand is use of brute force to separate.

Woo, Im tired of talking about Ibo jare! Let me go find something to do.
your post is enlighting

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Sirwallace(m): 10:11am On Jul 27, 2019
That was similar to how they took over india. it all started with a company in India too. Where different territory and chief seek refuge and armoury before the british started controlling their territories.

I am ashamed of myself that I never came across this nigeria's story.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by troubleseller: 10:36am On Jul 27, 2019
Burna Boy tried but Jesse Jagz already named his FULL ALBUM Royal Niger Company 5 years ago.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by whirlwind7(m): 11:40am On Jul 27, 2019
codemaniacs:

if "Igbos merely declared a sovereign nation of Biafra and largely defended their Homeland" they wouldn't have been advancing towards ore and attacking the western region and trying to annex the western region, the problem was between igbos and fuulanis..

the SE had no reason at all to secede due to the economic advantage they had over the rest of Nigeria that Ojukwu, zik and their advisers were too shortsighted to see...

the SE were victims of the egos of gowon, his advisers, Ojukwu and his advisers...

Good observation!

I am now remorseful that I used some strong language in my first rebuttal. I take them back. Pardon me.
You just came up with a sound argument (the part I made bold)
Let me endeavor to respond to it.

As I said earlier, Igbos were on the defensive during the war. FG kept going on the offensive, while the Biafran army who were poorly equipped but greatly motivated, fought back with all they got to keep them at bay.
See, I can't give you details description of the war. You'll need to read up on that yourself.

During that warfare, Biafra had to ask themselves: how long can it keep defending itself, seeing that the FG army kept getting supported with military hardware from countries like Britain and Russia? It was a matter of time and whole defences would weaken. Something had to give.

Remember: Lagos State was the capital of Nigeria then.

So, a bold and ambitious plan was made for the Biafran military to capture the capital of Nigeria, and that way, would be in possession of a big piece of bargaining chip.
Gowon was Commander in chief, and the "Aso Rock" of Nigeria was in Dodan barracks, Marina, Lagos. Dodan barracks was where Gowon, the head of state, was calling the shots.

How else could the Biafran military get to Lagos from the SE? Through the Lagos-Ore-Benin expressway, of course. That was what it set out to do: capture the capital.
If that plan had worked, you and I wouldn't be having this back and forth.

"Annex SW?" grin grin
Igbos haven't finished defending the entire SE, and they want to "annex" the SW? Can you hear yourself?

The event was purely strategic. It got nothing to do with the people of the SW. What's more, if you had bothered to read books written about the war (like I did) you wouldn't be making those comments or asking questions to which the answers or motives have been documented for anyone to read.

Finally, as to your comment that the SE had no reason to secede, that's a lot of hogwash.
If you were in the SE then, and you witness how trailer loads of mutilated bodies of Igbos were being offloaded in different cities like Enugu, Owerri and Umuahia for mass burials, you wouldn't say that. Whatever you are witnessing in Nigeria right now (killings from Boko Haram, herdsmen etc) is mere child's play compared with the pogroms of 1966-1967

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by whirlwind7(m): 11:52am On Jul 27, 2019
troubleseller:
Burna Boy tried but Jesse Jagz already named his FULL ALBUM Royal Niger Company 5 years ago.

Nice. I've always wanted to mention this fact when I saw this thread since yesterday.

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by codemaniacs: 12:22pm On Jul 27, 2019
zz

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Astark: 12:28pm On Jul 27, 2019
selemempe:
it wont believe me it wont. U need to go to even togo..
See hw behind nigeria has been left...even with our mighty oil. The main problem of nigeria is diversity. Its a blessing for some countries but its nigeria's biggest problem

An hausa president can do something to favour his tribe even if it hurts the country.

But in biafra...if biafra is strictly the 10 states of se and ss minus edo, we have a common religion in christianity...at least we wont have religious tensions or boko haram...wat we can have is tribal tensions...but that can be solved by allowing regional autonomy to high degree
thank God you said minus "Edo" , I hope it Biafra also exclude all edoid tribes in delta, river and bayelsa state. Itskerri kings and chiefs are also of Edo origin. We won't allow greedy igbos have an inch of our territory.

If you want Biafra, aggitate for Igbo country and leave edoid people out of your nonsense

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by godliman: 12:41pm On Jul 27, 2019
gaetano:
Mods will never take topics like this to FP, they prefer threads that don't open the Nigerian minds. angry
how .will they when it is.not on snakes
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by winnah(f): 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2019
Coitus:

The educational system is designed to keep Nigerians dosile. The people need to be woken.

Now you know the history what are you willing to do... Fight Unilever? Or .....?
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by troubleseller: 12:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
whirlwind7:

Nice. I've always wanted to mention this fact when I saw this thread since yesterday.
It's 'trendy' now to talk about it. I had always heard about the company but then I read Walter Rodney's book and that's when I knew more about it.
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Astark: 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
all u wrote is thrash...if u want biafra carry the five eastern states and good luck in ur achievements also tel kanu to come down to Nigeria to lead a. sane fight not hiding in Europe and instigating foolish ibos like him... u can't colonize other tribes to ur illusion of biafra...i repeat should Nigeria break up it breaks into 7 countries...oliseh from delta state told the world he is not ibo even if his middle name is ogochukwu so stop this rubbish
lol these IBO's think Edo people are stupid. They want to divide Benin kingdom territory and control their resources.

Urhobo, isoko, degema, etc in delta, river and bayelsa are all proud edoid people and they speak edoid language, itskerris which are not even related to Igbo's, they are still claiming them because of oil and access to sea.

I'm half ika and half Benin, I'll rather stay in Nigeria than go with Igbo's

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by whirlwind7(m): 1:00pm On Jul 27, 2019
codemaniacs:

documents are someone's opinion and could be filled with lies even if its written by someone who fought in the war...

I look at situation on ground presently and in that time and try to make sense of it.

yes, lagos was the capital which means they could have easily used the atlantic ocean to get to lagos, remember europeans were supporting both the igbos and fulanis. so attacking the SW would mean creating anti igbo sentiments in south westerners if the attack was successful which would cancel any hope of there been a southern nigeria that works towards a common goal...

they could have also negotiated with the south westerners to turn against fuulanis. so "the event was not strategic" in the long run, it would have led to massive distrust in the south against igbos.

finally, I maintain the igbos had no reason to try and secede even if like I said it was never a secession and like you YOURSELF said it was to take control of lagos.. Ojukwu and his partners could have called on all igbos to return to the SE, in 2019, there is rape, robbery, cultism e.t.c all these vices wouldn't have grown out of proportion if zik, ojukwu e.t.c had developed an economic, social, infrastructural plan for the eastern region even zik was trying to become premier of western region...

I don't want to write an essay but to me the civil war was senseless and should not have happened due to the economic bliss the east was about to experience from oil production. ojukwu got played by the europeans..

forget the whole fraudulent 200 million population, igbos are more than hausas and fulanis. not to talk of the entire southern Nigeria which means a war between igbos and fuulanis would see the igbos come out victorious.

gowon had to bring in mercenaries from niger republic, mali, chad e.t.c... and he was fighting a group that wasn't prepared for war and didn't have a dedicated military. imagine if the ijaws, yorubas, binis e.t.c. all had dedicated military,

despite the mercenaries, gowon didn't stand a chance against just the igbos, if the igbos didn't attack the SW (which also has more population than hausas or fulanis) it would have been a different outcome...

Stew in your ignorance then.
Is there a book you have read all through your lifetime on Earth, that wasn't written by your fellow human? You expect God to write a book on the war and present it to your majesty, the most discerning, the most unbiased mind ever created? cheesy
Abeg spare me your ignorant argument.

Reading isn't illegal....yet. Try to read, and you'd be better off for it.
If you had read a tiny bit, you would know that the reason why Biafran military couldn't get to Lagos via the Atlantic was because it had no navy. That's right. Apart from it's infantry and a couple of unserviceable WW1 era aircraft to serve as its airforce, the Biafra military was nothing but a collection of brave men who would rather face death on their own terms.
Moreover, the Nigeria military blockaded the port in Rivers State (Port Harcourt) They attacked SE from the south through PH and Calabar, and from the north by penetrating Nsukka in present day Enugu State.

I just mentioned Calabar, right? Read up how Gowon struck a deal with Cameroon to cede Bakassi Peninsula. It had something to do with it.

READ!!

You keep arguing out of sheer ignorance. I have indulged you for the last time. Either you read factual books, or remain ignorant. All your comments were filled with "ifs". Well, I put it to you that IF you had bothered to read up on the history of the place you call your country, you wouldn't use so many ifs because you would have known the answers to many of your conjectures.

I apologized earlier because I thought you were sensible. I'm beginning to think otherwise.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by whirlwind7(m): 1:09pm On Jul 27, 2019
troubleseller:
It's 'trendy' now to talk about it. I had always heard about the company but then I read Walter Rodney's book and that's when I knew more about it.

You know how it is.
People nowadays don't read anymore. They have to depend on chance or freak event to bring to their awareness what has been in existence for long.

I actually read about the Royal Niger Company when I was in primary 6. Same period I read about Mungo Park and how he set out to "discover" the origin of River Niger. Of course, it wasn't part of our syllabus then, but I read a lot, and history fascinated me.

Just like one ignorant dude I've been trying to enlighten on this thread, people start an argument based on cocky, half assed ideas or feelings devoid of facts or documented evidence.

White folks used to say that the best way to hide something from a black man was to keep it in a book. Idiots take solace in social media and think they know it all.
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by OGHENAOGIE(m): 1:10pm On Jul 27, 2019
Astark:
lol these IBO's think Edo people are stupid. They want to divide Benin kingdom territory and control their resources.

Urhobo, isoko, degema, etc in delta, river and bayelsa are all proud edoid people and they speak edoid language, itskerris which are not even related to Igbo's, they are still claiming them because of oil and access to sea.

I'm half ika and half Benin, I'll rather stay in Nigeria than go with Igbo's
leave them the south east is landlocked they want to co opt the Niger delta for that...acting like they are only the ones marginalized...people keep shouting Hausa, Ibo Yoruba like other tribes don't matter...

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by selemempe: 3:03pm On Jul 27, 2019
Astark:
thank God you said minus "Edo" , I hope it Biafra also exclude all edoid tribes in delta, river and bayelsa state. Itskerri kings and chiefs are also of Edo origin. We won't allow greedy igbos have an inch of our territory.

If you want Biafra, aggitate for Igbo country and leave edoid people out of your nonsense
yes i agree with u. All edoid tribes shouldnt be allowed into biafra

2 Likes

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by onyeopobo: 3:11pm On Jul 27, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
all u wrote is thrash...if u want biafra carry the five eastern states and good luck in ur achievements also tel kanu to come down to Nigeria to lead a. sane fight not hiding in Europe and instigating foolish ibos like him... u can't colonize other tribes to ur illusion of biafra...i repeat should Nigeria break up it breaks into 7 countries...oliseh from delta state told the world he is not ibo even if his middle name is ogochukwu so stop this rubbish

Friend, You're not paying attention, I'm not from the SE. I'm from the SS and I'm just telling you how it is. I really do hope that Nigeria works, and I trust that you're praying for that too. You sound pissed off and I'm sorry if I offended you, but I'm only trying to tell you what the reality would be in the event of a breakup.

I don't know who the oliseh ogochukwu you're talking about is and everyone has the right to say their opinion of what they think they are or be political with it. But the question should you should be asking yourself - the question that you need to honestly answer by yourself - The essence of my entire write up is: if shit hits the fan and this country was being broken up, do you believe that the oliseh Ogochukwu's that you know would leave a break away igbo region and rather choose to be with bini or yoruba country?...I didnt so either...I don't even think that Oliseh would be excited seeing you bashing the SE, knowing that most people from your area can't tell him apart from those in the SE.

So let's all temper words with care, let's stop poking our eastern neighbours, you binis need this nigeria to work more than the igbos or even yorubas do. Let's continue to work together to make this country work. Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Lovelyn451(f): 3:13pm On Jul 27, 2019
Acecube:
lolz... E prevented you from associating with him right ?
yea.I.don't know why people can't mind their business, I hate gossip honestly
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Acecube(m): 3:15pm On Jul 27, 2019
Lovelyn451:
yea.I.don't know why people can't mind their business, I hate gossip honestly
grin
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Nobody: 3:19pm On Jul 27, 2019
codemaniacs:

it was ironsi that abolished regionalism, gowon only maintained it, creation of states does not affect regionalism it would even make them more effective.. gowon may have wanted to cause intra ethnic division but he did not destroy regionalism. so where is the truth in your comments.. cool cool

whirlwind7, come and read obynzo comments, if his comments are true then its even worse that Ojukwu "Igbos merely declared a sovereign nation of Biafra", but most parts of obynzo comments are false because Nigeria had only one college/university which was in the western region so there is no way igbos had better indices of development and education. most of the war was fought in Rivers state...

the western region had bitumen, cocoa, yam, beans palm oil (more palm oil than the eastern region there is a place called Palm Groove in lagos that had palm all the way to the ports before urbanization cleared them off) e.t.c.

Prior to 66 Nigeria has University of Nigeria Nsukka it was in the 50s that Nigeria had one University. Bro the east was ahead and more progressive. In the West apart from Lagos and Ibadan which other major city was in the West. But in the east there was Onitsha, Aba, Enugu(The capital), Umuahia, Port Harcourt and Calabar.

Also when Ironsi declared the unitary decree he still kept the regional governors Adebayo(West) Ojukwu(East) Hassan(North) Ejoor(Mid west). Let us stop distorting history it was a well known fact that Gowon dismantled the regional structure and created states so as to weaken the eastern region and free the minorities in the region which is there for all to see.

1 Like

Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Ooni: 4:38pm On Jul 27, 2019
Litmus:
Britain pretty much conquered distant peoples and their lands and created many nations through Christianity, military and companies. Military defeated the people physically; Christianity passified their minds and companies exploited resources. You had Royal Niger Company in Nigeria and East India Company in India. India has moved on, Nigeria refuses. India is so future oriented they are looking at the stars and sending up space ships, but Boneheaded Nigerians refuses to face development squarely but rather dwell in past..
No. India was partitioned before before moving on.
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by codemaniacs: 4:58pm On Jul 27, 2019
zz
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by MetaPhysical: 5:50pm On Jul 27, 2019
obynzo:

Bros there was no Igala treaty on capture of Ibo slaves. The Igbo were forest people and even at that they were independent in nature. Let us stop manipulating history for selfish interests. There was the Arochukwu Confederacy that was helped by the dreaded Ohafia warriors. They were the ones that sourced slaves and brought them to Bonny via Imo river and the creeks. They needed to go to the hinterland to continue the business hence they started migrating northward from Arochukwu that is why you have so many Aro settlements with Arondizuogu being the largest of the Aro settlements. The Aro were forced to surrender with the British who fought them in the war with the Aro. That was where the myth of Long Juju was formed

Ibo had never been independent in its history. Never!

What confederacies were under your so called independent nation and what was the Kingdom called?

Before you answer....take note that every piece of Africanland was Imperial. The Empires consisted of Kingdoms. The Kingdoms then ruled the Chiefdoms. There was not one piece of Africanland or a people of Africa that existed outside of this heirarchical structure.

What heirarchy and title was Iboland under?
Re: Royal Niger Company Trends On Twitter by Nomswag: 10:00pm On Jul 27, 2019
WoeBetide666:

You read There Was a Country in primary school? You must be really young grin
lwkm

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Underage Voters In Bayelsa Election (pics) / Soldiers Kill Three Female Suicide Bombers In Monguno (Graphic Photos) / I Didn’t Lose, The Results Will Be Corrected —akpabio

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.