Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? (61951 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Legitimate Jobs Nigerians Do In Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by prettyynx(m): 3:19pm On Aug 18, 2019
Nigerians do every kind of job, depending on the situation they find themselves. if you are going to overstay your visa, be ready to do the jobs you have never dreamnt you would do in your lifetime for at least 2 years. If you are hardworking and you can endure, you would be able to feed yourself , cloth yourself, eat whatever you want, afford a cheap car and get some savings ,however FREEDOM you would never get until your status changes.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afroxyz: 1:40pm On Aug 19, 2019
Bawss1:

This generation and misplaced priorities.

Nobody outside of yourselves gives a damn if your job is menial or intellectual so long as it is legal, provides value and is properly compensated for.

I must apologise. I didn't know I was in the mud with people of low value. Keep washing plates and sweeping trains since it provides 'value'

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afroxyz: 1:46pm On Aug 19, 2019
Kokaine:

Learn to read and understand the context of a writeup before you jump into peoples comments and start spewing diatribes. See what we were talking about first and see the actual message I was passing. My comment bordered around how insecure Nigerians are in our country whatever class we belong. I wasn't glorifying or condemning people, or rating job preferences. Once again sir, if you must respond, please read the context and understand clearly so your writeup doesn't sell you off as a foool. I'm not saying you are, i m just advising you stop sounding like one due to impatience.
Thank you.

perhaps your account was hacked and you didn't post that shameful comparison. But if you did, I suggest you go back to school to learn how to write and communicate in an articulate manner so that you would not be 'misunderstood' Anu.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Kokaine(m): 9:57am On Aug 20, 2019
afroxyz:

perhaps your account was hacked and you didn't post that shameful comparison. But if you did, I suggest you go back to school to learn how to write and communicate in an articulate manner so that you would not be 'misunderstood' Anu.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Wande22(m): 12:27pm On Aug 20, 2019
what about Scotland, Sweden and Norway

I am contemplating on moving to any of these anytime
chris51:
Getting papers to do anything if you travel to the US illegally, is more difficult than it used to be.
Arrangee marriages for green card cost thousands of dollars.
This Trump's administration has made it a lot more difficult. They sometimes raid places where many illegal people work.
As for UK, work is very difficult for people generally. It's tougher in the UK
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Bawss1(m): 2:03pm On Aug 24, 2019
afroxyz:

I must apologise. I didn't know I was in the mud with people of low value. Keep washing plates and sweeping trains since it provides 'value'

grin

Before you return to the rarefied air of high society I have to ask; why are you personally bothered with what other people do for a living?

3 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Xuxu208: 4:05pm On Jan 09, 2020
Activedreamer:
Leaving Nigeria has been the best decision I ever made. I only wish I left earlier.
I never get papers,but I'm balling hard. Making nothing less than 4000$ every month. I work 12 hours (6 times a week )My expenses every month isn't more than 1200$. This amount isn't near what I hope to be making once my papers land. It's almost here. Definitely going back to school...

If you want to hussle in the states,you must be hardworking and willing to do overtime .Start exercising before you come,that way the job won't be hard on your muscles lol. I don't see my job as hard though. Choose the right state. Forget the big states for a start. JOBS plenty where I dey.. Question is;you get the energy to work?

Is this amount before or after tax? And care to tell us what you do and in what city and state so we can verify?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Xuxu208: 4:11pm On Jan 09, 2020
Smile4mee01:
@Op

The truth has been said.

Many Nigerians start out with menial jobs, but with determination and hard they dont remain there for long.

My Uncle who started out as a taxi driver is a CEO today and a mansion in Gerogia in the USA doing so well with his first son playing in the NFL, he laughs at the days he was a taxi driver. Don''t let your humble beginning despise you.

Nonetheless, You can still live a good life here in Nigeria. Hard work and Prayer is needed wherever you go. Just make the best of life while you have it.

Good luck.

Care to tell us exactly where he is a CEO?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Xuxu208: 4:16pm On Jan 09, 2020
ajl:

At the end of the day my conclusion is that traveling out to seek greener pasture elsewhere is a temporary solution. Because I found out most Nigerians that left the country at some point are hoping and yearning that Nigeria work so they could return. In fact significant number are returning. But occasionally with bad experience on returning. So, the "demon" we are all running away from is "sitting on the bench at home" waiting for us. Until we all.stop running and face our problem head-on, we are only fooling ourselves. I went around Lagos in last few days and my conclusion is that the weakest links are the government/public officials and docile masses who choose not to question their government. In the affluent areas I see new businesses and structures that were not there when I visited some years back. But in the slum part of Lagos, specifically on the core Lagos Island, nothing has changed. In fact things have deteriorated even more with hoardes of idle youths, inaccessible roads, terrible sanitary conditions. Surprisingly in all.of these, people seem to be catching their fun as if its all normal. We Nigerians have a terrible tolerance level that it's getting suicidal.

Very well said! I couldn't have put it better.....smh
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Xuxu208: 4:18pm On Jan 09, 2020
ABSTRUSE:
Pls for those computing the average sum earned, pls cud you include tax and standard of living when making those computations of yours?

Exactly! Never ceases to amaze how such people conveniently neglect to do that........
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Xuxu208: 4:21pm On Jan 09, 2020
[quote author=otherway post=81208436]

If you have work permit then you go work tire cos work full everywhere if you are not too picky.

After tax you can have like £1500 which is the average earning after tax.

You will have savings of £500 every month after all expenses if you are not a waster.

And ofcourse many earn over £1500 after tax. So compare to Naija after expenses wettin go remain that is even if you earn enough to meet up your expenses.[/quote

Can you tell us what kind of work and in which part of the UK one can earn this kind of money after tax?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by slashthroat: 2:39pm On Apr 15, 2020
Activedreamer:

It is a factory. The factories here are so neat and safe. You'd be amazed.I work for a company that manufactures chevy,Toyota,Buick etc head lamps and light .

The hard part about factory jobs is the standing. Every work is done standing. Imagine standing for 12 hours every day (though there are breaks). The thought of what you'd take home every Friday will ginger you.

I'm sorry I can't mention the state for security reasons .
America is a great country. If you plan well before coming,you could have your EAD in less than a year after entry and possibly get your green not later than 2 years of entry.

But you miraculously "got yours" under a year. Olodo liar
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by slashthroat: 2:40pm On Apr 15, 2020
Activedreamer:
Leaving Nigeria has been the best decision I ever made. I only wish I left earlier.
I never get papers,but I'm balling hard. Making nothing less than 4000$ every month. I work 12 hours (6 times a week )My expenses every month isn't more than 1200$. This amount isn't near what I hope to be making once my papers land. It's almost here. Definitely going back to school...

If you want to hussle in the states,you must be hardworking and willing to do overtime .Start exercising before you come,that way the job won't be hard on your muscles lol. I don't see my job as hard though. Choose the right state. Forget the big states for a start. JOBS plenty where I dey.. Question is;you get the energy to work?

This one dey flip burger. Na when you wan adjust to permanent i go tear your yansh that akata you marry for paper go disown you

You know they have a link to report fake marriages
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by hodari: 11:01pm On Apr 15, 2020
-North America & Europe-care home, nursing, Uber drivers, food delivery, cleaning, odd jobs e.g. fast food servers, toilet attendants in clubs, etc

-Asia-419, Drugs, olosho work. angry

-African countries - 419 angry

-Latin America - Drugz.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 3:26am On Apr 16, 2020
afonjabreed:
Please I want to ask a question.

What do Nigerians who left the country and travelled abroad do (what's their sources of income), because some left Nigeria with no hope of getting a job abroad.

And judging by the desperation of the youth about getting out of this country I think they have the believe that once they leave this country the odds are in their favour. I really want to know what they do
New immigrants work as a factory worker's,security guards,cashiers,caregivers for seniors/disabled,cooks,dishwasher's. These are jobs you can get with little to no formal education. They are then able to use the money they saved from this jobs to go back to school.

When I first got to Canada my first job was as caretaker- fancy word for cleaner. I cleaned the campus residence and yes- I even scrubbed the toilets embarassed. Then my second job was as a stocker at a local supermarket, and also I worked as a cashier for local supermarket. Life is hard if you don't get an education that enables you to get a white collar job.

After working these three jobs, I really appreciated getting my first office job when I graduated. I have pity for people working menial jobs, it leads to depression long-term. I don't wish it on my worst enemy, you slave away to earn ever dollar. Many people are suffering in silence and only the paychecks keeps them going.

5 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 3:30am On Apr 16, 2020
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 3:32am On Apr 16, 2020
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 4:14am On Apr 16, 2020
Rolly22:

Bro I heard factory Job Is so stressful, but my friend does it and he is earning so well.
My friends that worked in a factory all said it is the worst job and zaps all your energy. The second you get home you crash.
Imagine in one shift unloading heavy fridges from a truck all night long. Some jobs will just make you hate your life.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afonjabreed(m): 3:45pm On Apr 16, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

New immigrants work as a factory worker's,security guards,cashiers,caregivers for seniors/disabled,cooks,dishwasher's. These are jobs you can get with little to no formal education. They are then able to use the money they saved from this jobs to go back to school.

When I first got to Canada my first job was as caretaker- fancy word for cleaner. I cleaned the campus residence and yes- I even scrubbed the toilets embarassed. Then my second job was as a stocker at a local supermarket, and also I worked as a cashier for local supermarket. Life is hard if you don't get an education that enables you to get a white collar job.

After working these three jobs, I really appreciated getting my first office job when I graduated. I have pity for people working menial jobs, it leads to depression long-term. I don't wish it on my worst enemy, you slave away to earn ever dollar. Many people are suffering in silence and only the paychecks keeps them going.
thanks for your contribution.
I have a question about the education aspect ,does it have to be a Canada certified one?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2020
afonjabreed:
thanks for your contribution.
I have a question about the education aspect ,does it have to be a Canada certified one?
It depends-I know Nigerians that have Nigerian degrees that worked for for multi-nationals such as Shell,Chevron,Pricewaterhouse Cooper(Accounting Firm) in Nigeria and were able to get into the companies here. They have the same standards and requirements in all the all the countries they operate.
In the case of Pricewaterhouse Cooper they just had to write the Canadian CPA certification and one of them even made it to Partner in the firm making not less than $500,000 per annum.

However, if you don't work for a multi-national and come to Canada, the only way you will get a white collar job is to get a Canadian degree,diploma or some kind of certification. You will be reduced to doing jobs that involve manual labour such as factory worker,cashier,sales rep,security guard, cleaner if you don't have any education certification.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by GreaterDC(m): 6:48pm On Apr 16, 2020
Where can i get a librarian job, which country
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afonjabreed(m): 7:14pm On Apr 16, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

It depends-I know Nigerians that have Nigerian degrees that worked for for multi-nationals such as Shell,Chevron,Pricewaterhouse Cooper(Accounting Firm) in Nigeria and were able to get into the companies here. They have the same standards and requirements in all the all the countries they operate.
In the case of Pricewaterhouse Cooper they just had to write the Canadian CPA certification and one of them even made it to Partner in the firm making not less than $500,000 per annum.

However, if you don't work for a multi-national and come to Canada, the only way you will get a white collar job is to get a Canadian degree,diploma or some kind of certification. And will be reduced to doing jobs that involve manual labour such as factory worker,cashier,sales rep,security guard, cleaner.
thank you so much for answering in detail , please how many years did it take you to finally settle in Canada?, and are there lots of opportunities like people potray?, and like what's the cost of getting a degree in Canada?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Apr 16, 2020
afonjabreed:
thank you so much for answering in detail , please how many years did it take you to finally settle in Canada?, and are there lots of opportunities like people potray?, and like what's the cost of getting a degree in Canada?
It depends if you come to Canada as a legal immigrant or student. If you come here as legal immigrant you are able to take a student loan to cover whatever degree you choose to pursue and have no limitations on the numbers of hours you can work in a week. And you will have to pay back the government when you get a job that pays above a certain threshold. The cost can range from $6000-$17000 at University of Toronto in the higher end to $4000-$7000 at University of Manitoba at the lower end.

However, if you come to Canada on a student visa tuition will cost $16,000-$43000 annually depending on which University you get admission to. And you are only able to work 20 hours a week, with earnings of $600-$1000 after tax a month.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afonjabreed(m): 11:13pm On Apr 16, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

It depends if you come to Canada as a legal immigrant or student. If you come here as legal immigrant you are able to take a student loan to cover whatever degree you choose to pursue and have no limitations on the numbers of hours you can work in a week. And you will have to pay back the government when you get a job that pays above a certain threshold. The cost can range from $6000-$17000 at University of Toronto in the higher end to $4000-$7000 at University of Manitoba at the lower end.
Thanks, I'm considering migrating legally
However, if you come to Canada on a student visa tuition will cost $16,000-$43000 annually depending on which University you get admission to. And you are only able to work 20 hours a week, with earnings of $600-$1000 after tax a month.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Smile4mee01: 8:24pm On Apr 17, 2020
Is Life in Australia the same?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Activedreamer: 10:37am On Apr 20, 2020
slashthroat:

But you miraculously "got yours" under a year. Olodo liar
I don't normally do this, but
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Activedreamer: 10:38am On Apr 20, 2020
[quote author=Activedreamer post=88647079]
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Activedreamer: 11:13am On Apr 20, 2020
slashthroat:

This one dey flip burger. Na when you wan adjust to permanent i go tear your yansh that akata you marry for paper go disown you

Hahaha. How frustrated are u? You display symptoms of depression. When I post my email on here,try send your account number so I can send you some money.
Here is what I make weekly "flipping burger" :

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Activedreamer: 11:16am On Apr 20, 2020
slashthroat:

Hahaha. How frustrated are u? You display symptoms of depression. When I post my email on here,try send your account number so I can send you some money. Zoom in and check the dates. Don't slash your throat out of frustration. Hahaha.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afonjabreed(m): 12:25pm On Apr 20, 2020
Activedreamer:

Hahaha. How frustrated are u? You display symptoms of depression. When I post my email on here,try send your account number so I can send you some money. Zoom in and check the dates. Don't slash your throat out of frustration. Hahaha.
Lol , don't mind him
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by slashthroat: 12:55pm On Apr 20, 2020
Activedreamer:

Lol you don't have money you are bragging on 1k a week pay lol . collecting under the table.

You are a slave

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

Lady Who Died After Container Fell On Her In Lagos (Photos) / 500 Nigerians Deported From The UK Arrive Lagos / 10 then And Now Photos Of famous Cities Showing How Much They’ve Changed.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.