Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,733 members, 7,827,688 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 03:14 PM

What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? (62068 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / Weird Things Nigerians Do In UK And America To Avoid Deportation / Legitimate Jobs Nigerians Do In Turkey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by ritrose(f): 8:16am On Aug 15, 2019
Hello guys! Am currently processing my visa to US again after my rejection at the Lagos consulate . am trying again now if successful I sure would need your help.

I very much want to visit Australia and New Zealand cos they said its easy to be citizen in those place pls, who is in Australia & new Zealand should pls help me on what to do and how to go about it.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by ritrose(f): 8:19am On Aug 15, 2019
samhardy:

Same here.. I desperately wanna leave 9ja. The future is not bright here. Let connect make we dey talk. One day iyanu asele. Sent u mail.

Pls ooo include me to the mail so we form a group to help each other travel out quickly

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 8:30am On Aug 15, 2019
Tellemall:
Two things this thread will be full of:

1. Convert the pay off a van driver/mortician/busser/whatever to the salary of a politician in Nigeria blah blah crew.

Please, tell us how they have the same expenses or is this just a shallow comparison of figures meant to intimidate your locals onto traveling to become morticians etc? Do you have the same expenses? No . So, what are you comparing? Why not just post your submission without sounding so bitter and ridiculous? Oh well, Nigerians and baseless pride are inseparable.

2. I will become a billionaire in Nigeria crew

If so, why is only Dangote your Nigerian billionaire? Do you think he did so with pointless hubris? Why didn't your ancestors become billionaires in their homelands?
Because it's not so easy as you think. Not everyone out there is a mortician. From their weak gloating points they want to make you insecure, but why must you lie to yourselves?

Unlisted: The reasonable ones who don't have to mention either of the two points above because they are not so pained that they are morticians and not billionaires after all. Even those without permits are here fuming and acting haughty. You can smell the bitterness of the two factions, arrogance leaking with each pointless post.

lmao

your post made me laugh

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 8:40am On Aug 15, 2019
ajl:
I met a Taxify driver yesterday who said that a US visitors visa is all he needs to have a good life in the US and that a job is waiting for him. That got me cracking. When I told him that no one is going to employ him because he has to live as an illegal alien once his visa expires, it's like I was talking gibberish in his ears. Too many ignorant Nigerians.

to tell you the truth

we have an illegal immigrant uncle in my family
And from the monies he has sent back to take care if his wife and three kids, Build a small house for them there in Onitsha (that even gives them some rent btw from the BQ at the back) and the car he sent for them plus pocket money over the last six years, being an illegal immigrant is the best thing that has happened to him
just that he has not been back since then
And you know why.

sometimes living as an illegal abroad is better than the lives most lead in that failed $hithole country called NiggerArea

Some deceiving themselves that they are living "well" in that zoo because they are making a paltry N180k (which btw most Nigerians don't make o)
una eye go soon clear cheesy cheesy

when the idiot in Abuja aso rock bastardise that coubytt finish
may be that 180k will not even be enough to get you $hit in 4 years time.

Anyone who is getting a raw deal in Nigeria can always try elsewhere
It's not a bad idea
But please behave yourselves when you get there and remember where you come from
that's all.....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 8:43am On Aug 15, 2019
odigbosky:

Nothing here is guaranteed at all. That's why those with jobs here in Nigeria and those without jobs still run abroad

exactly
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 8:51am On Aug 15, 2019
ajl:

At the end of the day my conclusion is that traveling out to seek greener pasture elsewhere is a temporary solution. Because I found out most Nigerians that left the country at some point are hoping and yearning that Nigeria work so they could return. In fact significant number are returning. But occasionally with bad experience on returning. So, the "demon" we are all running away from is "sitting on the bench at home" waiting for us. Until we all.stop running and face our problem head-on, we are only fooling ourselves. I went around Lagos in last few days and my conclusion is that the weakest links are the government/public officials and docile masses who choose not to question their government. In the affluent areas I see new businesses and structures that were not there when I visited some years back. But in the slum part of Lagos, specifically on the core Lagos Island, nothing has changed. In fact things have deteriorated even more with hoardes of idle youths, inaccessible roads, terrible sanitary conditions. Surprisingly in all.of these, people seem to be catching their fun as if its all normal. We Nigerians have a terrible tolerance level that it's getting suicidal.

maybe its Nigerians in the 40s /50s that have such yearning

I have not met many millenial Nigerians who would rather live in Nigeria than abroad
especially the ones already abroad...

It's beyond the failed economics of Nigeria and all that.

the predominant mentality in NIGGERAREA is shitty and warped and worrisome
this above is the MAIN reason my I myself do not thing I will ever live in Nigeria permanently again or raise kids there

the economics aside
how can you live in a society that

glorifies and craves superstition and diabolism lipsrsealed
rationalizes rape and violence against women lipsrsealed
exhibit so much wickedness to those they consider beneath then (e.g. employer beating up employees/wilfully withholding their pay) lipsrsealed
the one that ignorance is rife lipsrsealed
And the long list goes on.

Those going to Canada for example via express entry got the fund to live fairly okay in naija (I mean about 4m+ is involved directly and indirectly)
But they have seen beyond the economics
a country whose fate is determined by hordes of almajiri and agbero voters is in trouble undecided

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 8:57am On Aug 15, 2019
byrron:

The quoted extract above defines most black Americans who despite been born into such opportunities but still constitutes the greatest nuisance in the whole universe.

They are genealogicaly lazy to the core.(that word does not exist)

if you do not understand in full the factors that predisposed them to live the life they do...
It's better you do not comment

It's just like what many black south Africans fave too
if Nigerians lived through jim crow and all that mess like black Americans did
our society will be a broken one too.

tho I am not exonerating them 100 %
But all those things done against them have its effect (which you as a Nigerian did not face, you are an immigrant)

But still they should pick themselves up

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by AngelicBeing: 9:07am On Aug 15, 2019
Ugosample:

to tell you the truth

we have an illegal immigrant uncle in my family
And from the monies he has sent back to take care if his wife and three kids, Build a small house for them there in Onitsha (that even gives them some rent btw from the BQ at the back) and the car he sent for them plus pocket money over the last six years, being an illegal immigrant is the best thing that has happened to him
just that he has not been back since then
And you know why.

sometimes living as an illegal abroad is better than the lives most lead in that failed $hithole country called NiggerArea

Some deceiving themselves that they are living "well" in that zoo because they are making a paltry N180k (which btw most Nigerians don't make o)

when the idiot in Abuja aso rock bastardise that coubytt finish
may be that 180k will not even be enough to get you $hit in 4 years time.

Anyone who is getting a raw deal in Nigeria can always try elsewhere
It's not a bad idea
But please behave yourselves when you get there and remember where you come from
that's all.....
Hian shocked

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by AngelicBeing: 9:15am On Aug 15, 2019
Ugosample:

I have not met many millenial Nigerians who would rather live in Nigeria than abroad

this above is the MAIN reason my I myself do not thing I will ever live in Nigeria permanently again or raise kids there

the economics aside

exhibit so much wickedness to those they consider beneath then (e.g. employer beating up employees/wilfully withholding their pay) lipsrsealed

Those going to Canada for example via express entry got the fund to live fairly okay in naija (I mean about 4m+ is involved directly and indirectly)
a country whose fate is determined by hordes of almajiri and agbero voters is in trouble undecided
"Nigeria will be better, l am currently pighting kwarraption via the EPCC and my administlation is kwomitted to pighting kwarraption in nijeriya, if you join the AFC--s.hit we shall make nijeriya gleat again, join me in pighting kwarraption via the EPCC " shocked

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ugosample:

if you do not understand in full the factors that predisposed them to live the life they do...
It's better you do not comment

It's just like what many black south Africans fave too
if Nigerians lived through jim crow and all that mess like black Americans did
our society will be a broken one too.

tho I am not exonerating them 100 %
But all those things done against them have its effect (which you as a Nigerian did not face, you are an immigrant)

But still they should pick themselves up

There is no justification for being lazy and it has nothing to do with what one has gone through in life.

When you are in a society that offers you multiple choices to choose from in other to at least be able to work and put food on the table for you and your family but you rather prefer not to work and leave on welfare and making babies here and there when you are not handicapped and then rationalize your laziness by blaming something else?

There is no justification for being lazy.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by GoodFaith: 2:21pm On Aug 15, 2019
Mavin1:

How about welder? I'm currently learning, have a dream of coming over in the next two years by God's grace.
it will be nice after your get your paper
If you don't have paper it is a different ball game
You need something that can enable u work on the DL

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 2:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ugosample:

the economics aside

You have not met? how many people do you know and how can your friends be a yardstick to determine the yearnings of over 10 million Nigerians abroad? my goodness! you're ridiculous

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by GoodFaith: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2019
Mancala:
Lots of responses have suggested nursing and IT. They are both decent choices but in my experience, some of the top candidates for ageism. Nursing ranks very high as one of the professions where you get burnt out quickly. The best way out is to go back to school and become either a PA or nurse practitioner. IT requires continuous learning which gets more difficult as you age grin. It is really a "younger persons" game.
It is very easy to work in the U.S. and make good money, but don't forget to plan for your retirement. All those illegal folks earning $4k per month are not paying into soc sec and will have no benefits...financial or healthcare. They had better be saving like crazy or else have a backup plan to move back to Nigeria when they can't work for a living anymore.

"IT requires continuous learning which gets more difficult as you age grin. It is really a "younger persons" game."
IT does require continuous learn there are people in 62 to 68 still working in the IT
Leading project
Using year of experience to help the new kids with the new skills

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2019
Mizwisdom:

You have not met? how many people do you know and how can your friends be a yardstick to determine the yearnings of over 10 million Nigerians abroad? my goodness! you're ridiculous

wow Wizdom

how far na?

e don tey

I missed you tongue

how is the stacking paper going?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Mizwisdom(f): 2:45pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ugosample:

wow Wizdom

how far na?

e don tey

I missed you tongue

how is the stacking paper going?

Ugo, so you've not stopped this your habit of exaggerating? grin u will grow old in Nairaland o. The stack of paper is growing vertically and steadily cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by axponline: 4:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
The US will be whatever you make of it.
e.g my panel beater back home in ogba ikeja many years ago somehow came to the us. I met him at a function. Apparently he now owns a thriving motor body workshop here in Atlanta. Back home he had nothing. Here he probably makes more than many professionals from his business. One thing he did was to learn all the modern techniques in auto body repairs.

Nigerians in the US are known all over the country for their hard work and resilience. Lawyers, doctors, IT professionals nurses, pharmacists, mechanics, car dealers, night club owners, petrol station owners, grocery store owners, limousine company owners , pastors, cab drivers, uber, and of course people who still do menial jobs.

Many of them own their own house, send their kids to the best colleges etc.
every american in have come across will always tell me..... I know a Nigerian who ..etc . 100 times out of 100 its always the same answer. I have a nigerian friend or co worker or husband or friends husband etc.

Finally, when nigerians have a party in the US, both white and black people open their mouth in amazement at the clothes, food and drink.
Why do I say this. Because I know for a fact that Nigerians have made an ever lasting mark in the US that people from no o
other country can match (maybe India & china in terms of economic status but not socially)

10 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Mancala: 8:25pm On Aug 15, 2019
GoodFaith:

"IT requires continuous learning which gets more difficult as you age grin. It is really a "younger persons" game."
IT does require continuous learn there are people in 62 to 68 still working in the IT
Leading project
Using year of experience to help the new kids with the new skills

At 68, I'd rather not still be in the trenches! But then if our country was good, we wouldn't be economic immigrants in the diasora
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Babyvet: 9:10pm On Aug 15, 2019
It really depends on the country . In the US , you will see Nigerians doing an array of jobs. From cleaning to physicians to business owners . Your success will be determined by an array of factors. Regardless of where you are , things are tough so just be prepared to roll with punches.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by BarryLondon007(m): 10:45pm On Aug 15, 2019
samhardy:

Am applying for visa there. I v sent u a mail so we can relate beta. Thanks
Yeah I replied chief
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by bjbjbj: 5:01am On Aug 16, 2019
There are a lot of job and opportunities.
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by samhardy: 8:15am On Aug 16, 2019
ritrose:

Pls ooo include me to the mail so we form a group to help each other travel out quickly

Mail sent...
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by samhardy: 8:17am On Aug 16, 2019
BarryLondon007:

Yeah I replied chief

Okay boss.. I ll check right away! Thanks 4 ur timr
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Nobody: 6:49am On Aug 17, 2019
IronGalaxy:
It is clear whatever they do, seems to be rubbing the hosts the wrong way.

As long as we occupy your mind rent free. I know you won't mind as it would be quite empty anyways kiss
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by IronGalaxy: 12:05pm On Aug 17, 2019

As long as we occupy your mind rent free. I know you won't mind as it would be quite empty anyways kiss
you rub your hosts the wrong way. Accept it and move on
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by mysticgal(f): 12:43pm On Aug 17, 2019
Please is there anyway I can survive as a lawyer trained in Nigeria plus some knowledge in Chinese language?
Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Bawss1(m): 2:04pm On Aug 17, 2019
Ugosample:

Dude, there's no justification for living as an illegal immigrant overseas. Please stop misleading the gullible readers on here with that kind of talk.

4 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 6:40pm On Aug 17, 2019
Bawss1:

Dude, there's no justification for living as an illegal immigrant overseas. Please stop misleading the gullible readers on here with that kind of talk.

I don hear you

I made my assumption based on what I have seen over the years

especially with relatives of mine....

They are more useful to their family back in Nigeria as illegal im migrants in America than they ever were in that failed shithole third world zoo called NiggerArea.

they send money via proxies at regular intervals to their families
bought cheap land and someone helped build small homes for them
etc

many Nigerians are redundant and useless to themselves in Nigeria
a walk round the streets will show you.

So please

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Ugosample(m): 6:42pm On Aug 17, 2019
axponline:
The US will be whatever you make of it.
e.g my panel beater back home in ogba ikeja many years ago somehow came to the us. I met him at a function. Apparently he now owns a thriving motor body workshop here in Atlanta. Back home he had nothing. Here he probably makes more than many professionals from his business. One thing he did was to learn all the modern techniques in auto body repairs.

Nigerians in the US are known all over the country for their hard work and resilience. Lawyers, doctors, IT professionals nurses, pharmacists, mechanics, car dealers, night club owners, petrol station owners, grocery store owners, limousine company owners , pastors, cab drivers, uber, and of course people who still do menial jobs.

Many of them own their own house, send their kids to the best colleges etc.
every american in have come across will always tell me..... I know a Nigerian who ..etc . 100 times out of 100 its always the same answer. I have a nigerian friend or co worker or husband or friends husband etc.

Finally, when nigerians have a party in the US, both white and black people open their mouth in amazement at the clothes, food and drink.
Why do I say this. Because I know for a fact that Nigerians have made an ever lasting mark in the US that people from no o
other country can match (maybe India & china in terms of economic status but not socially)

true that

most counties in Africa are failed

South Africa in the gutter
Naija in the gutter
even Kenya that I pretending is not amy better lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by afroxyz: 8:07pm On Aug 17, 2019
Kokaine:
lol.
To me in the long run, a person doing an odd job in the diaspora is living a better life than a working class here. I mean just see the level of insecurity in Nigeria alone. Injustice everywhere. Police killing civilians. No roads in the south, no light in 2019. What is in this country to live for really?

that's your opinion. I didn't come to this life to live and die as a menial worker. If menial work was as glorified as you people put it the whites wouldn't leave those jobs for Indians, Pakistanis and your lot. manual work is a stepping stone but for christ sake dont glorify it because you are in a white man's country where you leave as a 4th class citizen.

I prefer to live as a lion in the Jungle than be a dog in the city.

6 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Bawss1(m): 11:40pm On Aug 17, 2019
Ugosample:

I don hear you

I made my assumption based on what I have seen over the years

especially with relatives of mine....

They are more useful to their family back in Nigeria as illegal im migrants in America than they ever were in that failed shithole third world zoo called NiggerArea.

they send money via proxies at regular intervals to their families
bought cheap land and someone helped build small homes for them
etc

many Nigerians are redundant and useless to themselves in Nigeria
a walk round the streets will show you.

So please

Aren't you the poster who complains about the Nigerian mentality and how it is responsible for not allowing us to progress and develop? Yet here you are putting the same mentality on display for the whole interwebs to see.

So your relatives, who as you mentioned are living illegally in the States, are now useful because they are gaming the American system and sending the proceeds of their illegal status back home for others to eat. They are taking unfair advantage of a system built and maintained by the taxes of hardworking citizens but its all good because somebody's stomach back home is full as a result. The same belle-first mentality that we all berate our leaders for is now OK here?

Or do you think the term illegal immigrant is just a fancy word and that there are no negative consequences issuing from people who are thus described?

There's no need to continue to spin this, illegal immigration is not good.

2 Likes

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Bawss1(m): 11:54pm On Aug 17, 2019
afroxyz:

that's your opinion. I didn't come to this life to live and die as a menial worker. If menial work was as glorified as you people put it the whites wouldn't leave those jobs for Indians, Pakistanis and your lot. manual work is a stepping stone but for christ sake dont glorify it because you are in a white man's country where you leave as a 4th class citizen.

This generation and misplaced priorities.

Nobody outside of yourselves gives a damn if your job is menial or intellectual so long as it is legal, provides value and is properly compensated for.

1 Like

Re: What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? by Kokaine(m): 1:01pm On Aug 18, 2019
afroxyz:

Learn to read and understand the context of a writeup before you jump into peoples comments and start spewing diatribes. See what we were talking about first and see the actual message I was passing. My comment bordered around how insecure Nigerians are in our country whatever class we belong. I wasn't glorifying or condemning people, or rating job preferences. Once again sir, if you must respond, please read the context and understand clearly so your writeup doesn't sell you off as a foool. I'm not saying you are, i m just advising you stop sounding like one due to impatience.
Thank you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (Reply)

This Is What Happens To Your Poop When You Defecate In A Plane's Lavatory. / Khalid Al-makura: Drunk Governor’s Son Crushes 6 Persons In Motor Accident / This Picture About Nigeria Airways Will Make You Cry

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.