₦airaland Forum

Welcome, Guest: Join Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 2,317,021 members, 5,106,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 20 August 2019 at 07:25 PM

HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel (582 Views)

FEIRE - A Romance Story / THE JAILBIRD - A Romance/ Crime Thriller / All In One Night (A Romance Novelette By Kayode Odusanya) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Oyinprince(m): 4:33pm On Aug 14
HIDDEN DREAM

My name's Jared Zimba. My father is a wealthy colonel in Zambia. I've got everything I want, I can do anything I want... Wait... What? No, that isn't completely true.

Yea, yea, we're rich but I am not an happy child!

I can't be happy now and that's because my parents are not going to let me do this one thing that brings me joy. DANCING! Yea, I wanna dance!

Well well, I can't give up now, I'll have to keep following my heart, and since Dancing defines me, I'm going to stick to it...

Jared Zimba never knew that this HIDDEN DREAM has a lot in store for him. Calm down, as this Romance story narrates herself making you smile, laugh, cry and love all at the same time.....

By

Tisa Phiri[b]HIDDEN DREAM

My name's Jared Zimba. My father is a wealthy colonel in Zambia. I've got everything I want, I can do anything I want... Wait... What? No, that isn't completely true.

I can't be happy now and that's because my parents are not going to let me do this one thing that brings me joy. DANCING! Yea, I wanna dance!

Well well, I can't give up now, I'll have to keep following my heart, and since Dancing defines me, I'm going to stick to it...

Jared Zimba never knew that this HIDDEN DREAM has a lot in store for him. Calm down, as this Romance story narrates herself making you smile, laugh, cry and love all at the same time.....

By

Tisa Phiri[/b]HIDDEN DREAM

Written by

Tisa Phiri

Starts here soon

You can read the already completed story here - www.youngicee.com/category/hidden-dream

Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by DivineSpecial(f): 6:50pm On Aug 14
Following

1 Like

Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Ann2012(f): 9:06pm On Aug 14
Oya.....let the update start

1 Like

Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Oyinprince(m): 8:34am On Aug 15
Hidden Dream - Episode 1

A Story By Tisa Phiri

I looked at the books laying in front of me.. I really wished I could feel even a slight inch of desire to read what was in them but I just couldn't.. how do I get to read the books when whatever was written in them didn't make any sense to me. In fact I sometimes thought the words written inside those pages danced around in my eyes every time I tried to focus and read them.

Giving up, I stood up and grabbed a Music player before me on the other side of the table.. I plugged the head sets into my ears and tuned on the volume as i stood.

Now this is the feeling... I smiled to myself as I raised my hands up and did some slow moves following the beats of the song playing softly in my ears..

I danced around my room like my life was complete. It was the best feeling ever, to always do what I loved the most. In the moment I was being my true self. Nothing hidden, nothing fake, the real me and I loved the feeling.

Humming to the lyrics, I moved about extending my arms and holding my imaginary girl dancing with me. She smiled as she slid down and did her moves and i followed suit. It felt home...

I was lost in my own world dancing gracefully with my eyes shut and my lips mimicking the song, that I didn't realise that my mother was watching me. .the next thing I felt was a hot slap on my chick which made me jump.

As I turned to face where the interruption came from, I froze when I came face to face with my angry woman who starred at me with so much diappointment. I felt my knees go weak.

Here we go again, I thought to myself as I carefully removed the headsets and placed them back on the table as my mother's gaze kept on me.

"Jared", she started calmly, "my son". She paused making sure her first words got deep inside me. I was sure she was wishing I wasn't her son and the words were a consolation to herself hoping if she said it so many times she would come to terms with the fact that she gave birth to me, Her dull and unreasonable non dreamer of a child.

"How many times have we warned you to stop that stupid dancing of yours and concentrate on your studies?" she yeld, and I knew it had begun again.

I slowly sat back at my chair and looked down. Hoping that she would at least understand me. But I was wrong. Even after looking like an apologetic lunatic, she still went ahead and started yelling telling me how I was a disappointing child who couldn't study and pass like my sisters.

She scolded me and told me all the failing I had gone through.. clearly stating how I failed grade 9 more than 2 times and how she had fought hard to make sure I only managed to get a certificate to grade 10 after she practically bought leakages for me, just to make sure my father never kept his threat of throwing me out of the house if i failed again.

She reminded me of how she and my father spent a lot of money to ensure that I went to a good school. She ranted about so many things so much that her voice pierced my eye drums and got to my nerves.

I couldn't talk back so I decided to hum some song in my mind to avoid hearing the rest.

Not that I didn't want to hear it but because she had told me the same words over and over again. I could even say them back word by word.

She frowned as she stopped and looked at me.

"If you fail your grade 12 this time.. theres nothing left for you in this house. We won't spend any more dime on you. You better think about this cause we are tired Jared," she added before storming out angrily.

I looked at the door she left open and saw my little sisters laughing and making faces at me. "Woohoo" Nina whispered at me and made a face." Dull" She shouted and ran back before I could stand to slap her stupid face.

My sisters where very inteligent. Nina was in her 11th grade a year behind me and she was doing so much better in her studies. Sometimes she even helped me with my homework, of course after I paid her to.

She was very brilliant and it hurt that my parents clearly favoured her and my other sister Tina who was in her 9 th grade.

The two were so different. They easily passed even with little effort and I didn't just understand how they did that. I tried all I could to study, I paid attention in class. But for me at the end of the day, all I got where 9s and I had over time lost all hope of ever passing.

What I loved the most, no one seemed to understand nor accept.

I was a dancer.. I loved to dance with everything I got. The sounds of music was my very drive. But everyone i tired to tell that would clearly display displeasure and remind me that, that wasn't to take me any where in life.

"It is a damb thing for a man to love dancing," my friends would tell me. "Just get yourself to study man, Its your best chance at life especially in out country they would say."

So I decided to keep my mouth shut and never bought up the issue again.

I could only dance when I was alone in my room or hiding in the school abolition Block when everyone was in class.

I had not realised I had been staring at the biology text book in front of me for moŕe than 2 hours. not really studying, but lots of thoughts running in my mind, my own thoughts tormenting me to the core.

I pushed back the chair as I noticed that it was past 22 hours. Slowly I walked out of my room to the kitchen. I just realised I had not eaten my meals that evening and the stings of hunger started having an effect in my stomach.

I passed through the living room ignoring my father who was plugged in the couch, his legs on the coffee table as he watched the soccer game.

One look at the screen, I could tell it was his team, Arsenal playing with some team I didn't want to know.

He stopped me just as I by passed him.

"Jared!" He called out making me to freeze in my steps. The thing with my father was that, he was a very strict man and had a certain way of life he wanted me to adopt. He was a colonel in Zambia Air Force and most of the times I noticed how he brought his military thing home.

To say the least, I feared the man more than I loved him. He was exceptionally harsh with me. Stating his reasons of me being a man and so expected to lead by example to my sister's.

"I asked you a question boy!" I heard my father speak up.

Um am sorry dad, I quickly apologised and I could see his eyes looking sharply at me.

"What is wrong with you boy? " He asked firmly..

"You are always upset minded and never pay attention to anything. Am talking to you and you are busy day dreaming!" he shouted.

Am sorry sir, I starttered.

"There you go again." He frowned.

"You are always sorry, But you always end up doing the same thing, tell me son," he continued. " What are you sorry for?"

I slowly sat down knowing if I didn't do so another ballock of why i was so disrespectful would follow.

Am sorry for not paying attention I responded, almost in a whisper..

From the corner of my eyes I saw him move in his seat and I knew I wasn't going to have my meal which I so much desired any time sooner.

I saw the game on TV going on half time and I prayed to God that time could Fly so that the game would begin and I would be saved.

"You are turning 19 this year, mind you" my father continued.

" this year you are sitting for your grade 12 exams and I don't want anything to do with failing, you have to work hard at school like your sisters. Put in your best and pass and then I can assure you, you will go to whatever university in this country and I will get you that car you want" he added..

" make sure you make me proud son. You are growing and we won't be happy seeing you play around instead of working hard at school. We grabbed the phone from you so that you can conctrate in studying. Am I being clear? " he asked me.

Yes father I nodded.

" Now I will pretend I didn't hear stories of you doing some stupid dance in this house and always playing some music. That is no way for a Zimba." He warned sternly.

"You can go" he indicated with his hands as the game was starting again.

I smiled in my heart. Wow, thank God I thought, now I can finally eat.

I quickly warmed the food from the refrigerator and walked back to my room making sure I was as silent so as not to disturb my father.

Slumming the door to my room and almost regretting as I waited to hear my name called out for another rebuke for making noise.

I stood with my plate waiting to hear " Jared!" But when a couple of minutes passed I did a quick way of the cross thanking God for saving me that minute.

My name is Jared Zimba, son of Colonel Jared Zimba Sr. The first born in a family of 3. My mother is a banker and my sister Nina is the second born doing her 11th grade at Rodes Park school.. Our last born is Tina in grade 9 also at Rodes Park. I am a grade 12 pupil at Lusaka West School in Lusaka.

My family has everything we need. The best looking vehicles, our house which lots of people refer to as a mansion is in Lusaka West.

We have maids and garden workers so I barely get to do any work around the house.

We are the envy of a lot of people. But dispite having all that around, am a very unhappy child.

If I say am sad it's an understatement, Am deeply saddened and depressed.

This is my life story and you will know why am unhappy...

Is there chance for me to make It? Is there anything like achieving your dreams in this life or its just a metaphor people use to wish for the best in their lives?

How can you be happy doing what everyone expects and neglect your true dreams and passions..

Well, follow my journey of life and answer the questions for yourself..

Episode 1 to the end can be found here - www.youngicee.com/category/hidden-dream
Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Ann2012(f): 9:38pm On Aug 15
Thanks OP
Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Oyinprince(m): 9:23am On Aug 16
Hidden Dream - Episode 2

A Story By Tisa Phiri

I woke up with a start as the alarm clocked 06 am. I slowly turned it off and lay on my bad facing the ceiling.

I heard the rain failing from outside the window. From the sound of the water falling from the roof to the paved small drainage outside, I could tell it was a heavy rainfall.

For a minute I thought of not getting off my comfortable bed. I held on to the smooth blanket on top of me and placed my hands in the warmth of my inside between my thighs.

"Oh God!" I whispered wishing I could be left to rest and out of the struggle that I was yet to face in school..

It was a Monday, adding salt to the wound, I had a first class with my biology teacher who evidently hated me. Well maybe cause I never got to pass his subject. But it was clear the man had a thing for rich kids and I was unfortunate to be from a rich family at the same time not a good performer in his subject..

I was lost in thoughts when I heard the maid call out my name from the other side of the door.

"Am coming aunty Nelly!" I shouted back. She knew I would take long to do as I told her so she opened the door and came in.

"I said am up and coming" i winned when she went straight to open the curtains and the wide windows.

"Uhhhh!" I hissed..

" come on Jared" aunty Nelly rebuked. " you are going to school and if you dont get up any minute soon....."

"Yeah I know," I cut her.

" my father will be mad that am delaying the driver," I finished her sentence..

" Yeah" she chuckled standing straight at me.

"I hate school" I whispered covering my face..

I was so free with aunty Nelly. The woman practically raised us. She was employed as a maid years back when I was only 7. We were more close to her than mother. Well.. especially myself.

To say the least, I loved her so much. It was the fact that she understood me and never judged me that caused me to get so close to her. She was easy to talk to and a good listener too.

"Get up lazy boy" she shouted pulling off the blanket.

"If your father heard that statement of you hating school, God help us" she let a laugh.

I jumped out of bed. I was just in my boxers and wasn't bothered she was there. She watched me as I stretched myself and yawned loudly..

"What? Am up now.. Happy?" I smiled at her.

" am super happy" she smiled back widely.

" let me prepare breakfast for you guys. Be in the dinning room soon. You have about 10 minutes to finish bathing and dressing up" she added and slowly walked out closing the door behind her.

After some minutes I held my bag and walked to the dinning table.

"Good morning dad!" I called out to my father who was seated already going through the newspaper.

"Good morning" he responded without taking off his eyes from the paper.

My mother and sisters all walked in at once. Everyone was ready. My sister's in their uniforms and my mum in a perfect black suit and heels making her look like a model. My mother had that sense of perfection. Everything starting from her head to toes was always in order. She loved to look her best and my father always looked at her with admiration. Even though I never heard him recommend her in our presence.

"So honey, have you told your children you are going out of the country" mum spoke up as we ate.

Dad cleared his throat, " well you all heard your mum am going out for a couple of months. I have some work to do in the US"

"Daddy bring me something nice!" Nina shouted. " I would love a new iPhone and some catchy clothes" she added.

I looked at everyone make their demands. I couldn't help feel sorry for myself. I was the oldest among the children in the house but I had no phone. According to my parents I would get a phone when I completed my school since they thought a phone got my attention from school. Which wasn't the case with my sister's.

I hated being around their cheering and shouting when I was heating up inside. What hurt the most, was that my parents didn't even bother to ask if I wanted something too.

" what about you Jared? , what do you want dad to bring for you? " Nina asked looking at me as I nibbled on my food.

"Nothing," I answered calmly. Looking up from my plate.

I saw my parents exchange glances.

" You can tell your father what you want son. Everyone has made their demands. Am sure you want something," my mom spoke up.

"The boy said nothing, so it means he doesn't want anything.. why are you forcing him" my father responded harshly.

I looked at them straight up. I almost said something but dropped back my eyes.

I slowly pushed the chair back and excused myself.

"Jared! My father called me back as I just got to the other room.

"Sir!" I answered and walked back my head down.

"You are so rude You know that? Your stubbornness is so evident, It's no wonder you never do anything right because you don't want to be as expected. How dare you walk out on us when we are talking as a family?" He snapped.

"You have not even touched your food and yet someone had to work hard to put that food on your plate."

I almost apologised but I recalled his words the previous night when he rebuked me for always apologising so instead I decided to give an excuse for walking out on them.

"I am not hungry father, and I had to check on something before the driver comes to pick me," I explained without looking up at him.

" sonny! Is there anything you want to say to me or your mother here?. It's either you are not hungry or busy doing something. It's like you avoid being around any of us in this house." Dad talked calmly but in a way that told me he was displeased yet again with me.

I was a cheerful boy before all this begun. I used to ran around the house and shout excitedly.

I used to ran to my father whenever he came back home from work.

Sometimes he took me alone out to some games and he would ask me to join him as he went to play golf with his friends.

But now I couldn't stand him.

The first time I failed grade 9 exams I recall how angry my father was with me. I tried to work hard the following year but I still failed and he now turned his back at me . He would rebuke me for almost any thing and I lost my freedom and my joy over time.

I was becoming accustomed to being treated as an outcast just because I wasn't the son they expected. I one day tried to talk to my father about my desire to dance and it made everything worse.

He scolded me for being a fool who didn't value his life and had shallow dreams.

He told me he wanted me to make it big since I had everything I needed.

My parents made every thing seem so hard. The more they pushed me to work hard at school the further I felt draged away. Now I was just a living being with no sense of belonging. I felt like a stranger in my own home.

"Jared!" My mother raised her voice at me.

"Here we go again," my sister Tina shrugged biting the piece of sandwich.

I gave her a stare. "Mind your own business" I whispered firmly.

"Mom and dad are talking to you and you have zoomed out on them. What's your problem Jay?"

" your sister is right.." Dad answered. " you don't regard anyone in this house. You have decided to live in your own world."

"The driver is here" aunty Nelly called out saving the moment.

"Excuse me," I whispered and walked out as quickly as I could.

I heard my mother say something to dad but I didn't bother to pay attention.

"Have you got your lunch box? " aunty Nelly asked as i stood outside waiting for the driver to reverse the car so that he parked closer to the verander from the garage. It was still raining.

"No aunty, I am not taking it am not hungry" I said looking out. .

" Listen my son, you have to eat something, you haven't had your breakfast and you won't stay the whole day without food. Come on now do it for me" she held my hand.

I looked at her and I felt a strip of water in my eyes.

" it's Okey, every thing will be Okey" she whispered tightening her hold on my hand. She looked sad and I was sure she felt for me. She always looked out for me more especially when everyone threw their insults and rebuked me.

"They hate me" I whispered back.

" I feel like an outcast." I added.

"Don't say that Jay, your parents love you. They just want what's best for you. They want you to be happy"

I knew she was just saying it to comfort me. But her words didnt give me any comfort at all.

" and I love you too my handsome boy, you are the most handsome teenager I know" she smiled widely.

I could feel her love and I knew her smile was genuine.

"I love you too aunty Nelly " I responded and let her hand go as the car stopped in front of us.

I was glad my sister's where going with my father. Otherwise I could have had the longest drive to school.

I was fastening my seat belt when Aunty Nelly came to the window and handed me some money.

" at least get something to eat at school"she smiled.

I almost turned down her offer but she wouldn't take a no for an answer..

Reluctantly I got the money and thanked her before the driver drove out the gate.

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/category/hidden-dream

1 Like

Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Oyinprince(m): 9:15am On Aug 17
Hidden Dream - Episode 3

A Story By Tisa Phiri

"Hey Jay!" My friend Ben called me out as we walked to the biology laboratory.

" Hey !" I shouted back.

"Didn't see you in the school hall for assembly. Late again?" I asked him as he caught up with me.

"Yeah man, you know how it is. My Pops got issues with his car and I had to get on a bus to school for the past weeks."

"Oh am sorry Ben, I thought the issue with your father was over. How did the court session go? "

Ben sighed, "it's tough man, I just thank God they paid my fees in advance otherwise I could have found myself out of this school. I see how my pops is being affected by the court issues. Being accused of embezzling funds for the company. I don't know how to take it Jay, it's pretty too much for the big man you know"

I stopped and looked at my friend. He looked sad, I had seen his father on several occasions and I would agree the man was good with his parenting skills.

I recalled how he one day invited us to some time out with him. I couldn't stop admiring how easy he was with Ben. He treated him so much like an adult and gave him the freedom to express himself. I chuckled when at some point they started arguing about some things. I couldn't recall what about, but they looked so relaxed and good together I felt jealousy.

It had been years since I felt that close to my father. And he lately never really talked to me.

" sorry to hear that man, am sure things will iron out for your Pops soon" I said finally.

" Yeah I hope so man" Ben shrugged.

" So how is you and your parents? Getting good now?" He asked

" lets not even go there man, I would rather not talk about them" I sighed.

"Oh here he comes!" Someone in class announced as Mr Muguma walked in.

We all went quite as the man stood in front of the white board.

He was silent for a while scanning the room. Then he cleared his throat.

" Good morning girls and boys" He greeted in his usual firm voice.

" Good morning Sir" we all responded and he indicated us to remain standing.

" So today I want us to recall what we learnt on Thursday last week, I will ask you some questions and you would only sit if you give an answer.

"Oh no.. not that again, " I thought to myself.

"This man is out to punish me again."

I didn't hear the rest of the things he said so I was startled when he called out my name.

"Jared Zimba"! He shouted and everyone turned to look at me.

"Yes sir!" I answered looking up.

Everyone started laughing. It was evident I wasn't paying attention again.

"What the hell is wrong with You? pay attention boy" I screamed to myself .

"Sorry I didn't hear you sir" i responded.

Mr Muguma frowned as he walked towards me.

"You know what the problem is with boys like You?" He said not really asking.

"You always think you will always feed from your parent's hands like little babies. You have to learn to fight for your own life and stop being too comfortable. There are children of your age out there and are dying to be in your place and here you are playing around and acting up on your parent's money, lets see how far your daddy's riches will take you. " he added sacastically stressing the word "daddy"

" look at you," he went on.

"You think you have it all, the looks, the money and the swag as you boys call it. Well I got news for you. That is nothing if it doesn't come from your own hard work. Get yourself out of school if you feel you have it and stop giving us a hard time to push education into you when you are here to just show off and not learn. You are a disgrace to manhood and I pity your parents for working off their lives to provide for dull kids like you. What a waste " he added sacastically.

I looked at the man as he went on rebuking me in front of everyone and I couldn't take it anymore. He was wasting time, not that I was looking forward to his lesson but i felt for those guys who liked school. He was wasting their time.

" am sorry sir your father never worked so hard to give you a life that I have,"i started without giving it a second thought.

" am sorry you had to end up being a teacher instead of a Doctor as you always dreamed of because your parents were poor, but don't you dare throw that on me. I didn't chose to be born in a rich family. Don't always bring up your anger on me cause honestly you have to get over it man, get over yourself and be proud of who you are" i added and the whole class murmered.

"Wooooboooo! " Some guys shouted and the whole class went AWOL. As the the teacher stared at me angrily.

" You can't even pronounce the word 'ribosomes' you an't so intelligent yourself you know." I added being motivated by the shouting.

I saw him grab his board makers and stormed out of the room like a mad person.

" woo! Jay what was that about man, you practically finished that poor teacher" my class mate Mwelwa shouted.

" well someone had to speak up that teacher is always out of line guys" I said and grabbed my book walking out of the lab.

I ran to the ablution block and panted in front of the mirrow.

"Shit!" I cursed wiping the sweat from my forehead.

I knew I just signed my own death sentence and if my parents were summoned, of which I was sure would happen, I was dead meat.

Our class teacher came to call me out after an hour.

"Here it goes", I sighed as I lifted my books and placed them in my bag. I knew I would not be going back to class so I had to pack up and prepare for the worst. I found my mother in the head teachers office.

She shot some angry look at me and I kept down like a wet dog .

" So, Jared I bet you know why we called you and your mother here. This school will not condon anyone behaving the way you did and embarrass the teacher in front of the whole class." The head teacher explained.

" do you have anything to say, sonny? " he asked.

" am sorry Sir" I apologised to him. " i didnt mean to its just that Mr Muguma seems to have something personal against me and he blames his poverty and past life on me. He's always......."

" stop it now! " my mother responded loudly.

" You, you even have the guts to say all that in front of us all. How dare you.? I can't believe you turning this on your teacher, so you mean your teacher can not control you because what? You feel you know it all huh?" She quickly added.

I couldn't say anymore. I waited as my mom and the head teacher talked after talking to me and sending me to wait outside.. later on they called me and made me to go back to class and apologise to Mr Muguma in front of everyone. I was purnished the whole day for my indiscipline.

Well, from that day on I decided to not care anymore. I started fighting anyone who would talk ill of me. I was always noisy in class and all the teachers started complaining.

At home I stopped every effort to study and never even stayed in the same room with my parents nor siblings.

My unruly behaviour became so famous and my mother was becaming tired of being called at my school.

It was like every thing I had heated up inside was coming out in a bad way. The noise, the fighting, the issue of talking back at my teachers was all a scape goat from what was the real problem inside.

I stopped dancing, well even when I was alone. I just got so angry at everyone and everything, I was so mad..

One day as I lay in my bedroom staring at nothing. Aunty Nelly walked in and sat on my bed.

"Jay, my boy. What is going on with You?" She asked in her calm voice. I turned to look at her and she frowned.

"What is it Aunty Nelly? I didn't say anything is wrong with me." I smiled sheepishly.

" You have become this naughty boy all of a sudden. You used to be a good boy. You never answered back at your parents. But now you don't regard your mother. You always come late and is always running away from your father. I hear You even skip school these days. The driver told me he drops you at school everyday but reports from your school say you are absent most of the days. You can talk to me son" she patted my hand.

" Well, am just tired of everything Aunty Nelly, I hate every thing about my life and sometimes I just wish I could vanish into thin air. I feel suffocated here and at school am tired of always being looked at as this dull boy who can't pass even a simple subject. I got suspended indefinitely and am here stuck at home.." I raised my hands.

"My father won't even talk to me. You know what though", I sighed sitting up. ."am actually glad they suspended me. I feel relieved I don't have to face those people at that school. And for my father. I really think I stopped existing to him since the day he discovered he gave birth to a son who can never pass a single exam." I expressed myself to the woman before me.

I expected her to tell me off but I was shocked she smiled at me.

" come here, lets take a walk to the garden" she told me and held my hand to stand up.

I stood and walked with her past the living room where my sister's sat watching some movies.

" I had a son like you," she started.

" You did" I asked surprised. How come we never see him around and you have never bothered to bring him here?

" Well, it's a long story. My child" my son should have been 30 years old this year. "

" what happened? You said should have?" I asked impatiently.

Aunty Nelly smiled calmly but in a way that I sensed she was hiding some deep pain.

" Yeah, he died about 12 years ago before I came to work for your parents. Back in my village" she started and I stood frozen.

" oh God what happened to him.? Am sorry aunty Nelly I never knew you had to go through that all these years. How come you never said anything to me?" I asked her as we sat down on the bench in the garden.

It was a cold afternoon but the surrounding in the garden looked amazing as the small flowers were sprout and the green onions the gardener had planted where green.

I watched aunty Nelly relax as she evidently pushed back her tears. Her face now getting a little older and some two lines forming down her eyes.

" my son was 2 years younger than you when he died. He was a very strong boy. A good fisherman. Him and my husband where always out fishing and he loved it so much. He however had another deep desire. He always wanted to dance and sing."

"What! I sat up. Dance? " I asked. I had not expected it. I mean hearing another man had a passion to dance. I sometimes thought here in Zambia i was the only one with a crazy dream.

" Yeah," she smiled."My son just like you loved dancing so much. Of course not the kind of dance you do. What do you call It? She asked with a laugh.

" Ballroom dance" I smiled raising my hand.

" mnmmm yeah not that one. He was a traditional dancer and back in our village in Luapula a man was defined by his ability to either hunt or fish. Not the stupid dancing. My husband back then and I tried all we could to talk him out of it but it all fall on deaf eyes.

He one day ran away from home and joined a dancing group in the city and that was the last I saw of my beautiful boy."

I saw aunty Nelly shed a tear and I moved closer and hugged her. She was indeed hurting and I felt bad I had to insist she told me more.

" So so what happened to him?" I asked when she was calm.

She stood up and walked to the small orange tree, twisting the leaves. " he was found dead along the road. We just saw some police officers at our village. They came to give us that sad news and told us our son was killed by some gang members who wanted the money he had made that night dancing in the show. You know what hurt the most.? I wished I had a chance to accept his dream and let him do as he desired. Maybe he wouldn't have ran away and got killed. Up to date I still can't forgive myself for his death.

I contributed to his dying cause I couldn't accept my son's passion. My husband and I always fought about it. We blamed each other day and night and he become unbareable when he started drinking a lot. I ran away from the village and that's how I found myself here. My friend helped me get this job." She sighed...

"Well, Aunty Nelly I didn't know. It's so sad am truly sorry for that. It's really a sad story and I dont know what to tell you really," I whispered to her.

she wiped her tears and smiled. " you remind me of my son so much Jay. I know you love dancing and am sad to see that over the days You have even stopped dancing. You are killing your dream and thats why you are so angry. You need to let yourself out my son, not everyone will understand but you have to accept who you really are."

" who am I Aunty? " I asked weakly. " i I don't think I know that now. For starters my parents will never understand me. You see how they rebuke me over this dancing. They used to allow me dance when I was a kid but now they won't hear the word " dance" from my lips without getting mad at me" I complained as I sat back in the chair.

" follow your heart my boy, I don't want you to end up like my son. If you don't let it out you will kill yourself slowly and by the time you realise it, it will be too late. Don't let the world define you. You have a heart of your own and it will guide you. Try to get your parents understand" she added and kissed my forehead before walking back to the house leaving me staring at the green onions.

For some hour or so I stayed in the garden. Aunty Nelly's words ringing in my mind. But I couldn't figure out the way of telling my parents I wanted to dance . I just couldn't.

I walked back to the house defeated. I totally lost hope of being happy. Even when the words of aunty Nelly kept banging on my heart. I still felt confined.

A week past and my parents weren't talking to me. I decided to stay in my room and do nothing. When I got out I would walk down the road aimlessly and watch people walk or drive by.

One evening I came back from my usual walks and my father followed me in my room.

I stood up and looked at him, he looked around the room and frowned indicating for me to sit down.

" Jared" , be begun. " i have tried everything I could as a father to make you into a man. I took you to one of the best schools in town and you repaid me with insults by becoming so unruly and getting yourself suspended more than I can recall. The only reason you stayed in that school is because your mother knows the principle there. Otherwise they could have expelled you a long time ago.

Now tell me, what do you want my son? What is it that you lucky in this house that has led you to your current behaviour?" He asked me

I shifted uncomfortably on my bed.

I watched my father who didn't move his eyes from me. He's stare getting to me.

I cleared my throat and got courage looking at how calm he was. I thought of the words of aunty Nelly " try to let your parents understand you"

" well father," I started. " i... I don't like school. I don't seem to understand anything at all no matter how much I try. I swear I tried studying but I couldn't just get it. Sometimes I feel I heard every thing the teacher says but in the end when it comes to write I don't seem to remember a thing. It's like I can't match the questions with the things I study or hear.

" I paused to look at dad, who's face didn't show any emotions. He was quite and I jumped in my heart. Glad that I got him to understand me finally.

I sat up encouraged as I poured my heart out.

" what I love the most and find it so easy to do is ball room dancing, you know," I shrugged. " Salsa, waltz, ....." I went on metioning the dances to him and I couldn't finish my list when I felt my head turn round in circles.

I fall on my back in the bed holding my cheek where dad's slap had landed.

Shocked in the moment as I saw my father's eyes turn red with anger.

" now, listen to me you good for nothing boy, this is the last time you will ever say that to my face. How dare You?. Here I am trying to get you to reason like a man and you go about spitting in my face you hate school and love that, that , stupid dancing thing," he stammered in his last words.

" not in my house, you hear. Not under my roof with that bulshit. Now let me warn you. If I hear anything about your unruly behaviour and you dancing around. Tstststst" he clicked his tongue.

" that is the day you will stop being my son." He snapped and walked out..

" pack your clothes you are going to a boarding school tomorrow" he shouted back at me before slamming the door making me jump.

" boarding school? Seriously?" I cried shutting my eyes as the effect of the slap was still making me feel dizzy.

I cramped myself to sleep that night and wished I wouldn't wake up. Aunty Nelly was wrong. My parents would never understand and now they are sending me away to some boarding school I didn't even know.

"How ironic" I thought aloud.

"What a better way of pushing me out of their lives."

To be continued

Read more Episodes here - www.youngicee.com/category/hidden-dream

1 Like

Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by DivineSpecial(f): 12:18pm On Aug 18
If I catch that foolish man he will know himself
Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by Oyinprince(m): 8:54am On Aug 19
Hidden Dream - Episode 4

A Story By Tisa Phiri

I didn't bother to look outside as my father drove me to his so-called boarding school. I had barely slept the previous night. I did all the packing in the night.

The following morning my mother asked me to go with her as she went to pick my groceries and other staff for my school. I barely said a word to her. I could only nod or murmer an answer whenever she would ask me a question. I let her pick the groceries as I pushed the trolleys. she picked all the basics. The bathing soaps, lotions, washing powder, tinned foods, rolls of tissue, some expensive perfumes and lots of other staff I wondered if she was that excited for me or was glad I was finally leaving their house.

Back at home, Aunty Nelly had grilled some chickens and strips of beef, she even packed some other things I didn't pay attention to.

" well you people are determined to send me away", I told aunty Nelly.

" I bet you all can't wait to see me out" I added sadly as I sat on the kitchen table waiting for my father who was to take me to the boarding school. I had not bothered to ask where or what school it was.

" don't say that Jay, you know we love you. Am sad that you had to go that far, but I ask you to please not despair. Do what your parents want and you will be okey."

" whatever," I snapped and walked out of the kitchen leaving aunty Nelly shaking her head sadly.

Now in the car I sat quietly in the back seat as my parents sat in front, dad driving us in his Fortune runner. I cared less how rich he was. To me everything around me was just vogue.

" So Jared, don't you care to know which boarding school you are going to?" My mother asked turning to look at me as I kept my head leaning on the window.

" no" I answered blankly without looking up my hands twisting a bottle of coke I was drinking.

She sighed loudly. " this is for your own good son, your father and I just want whats best for you. A boarding environment is what you need. There are little distractions there. Am sure you will make new friends and will start catching up. Even though you are going to start in grade 11 since you have missed a lot from last term . You can not write your exams." She added.

"Okey," I thought to myself.

"Now they are taking me back. Instead of letting me do away with secondary school, they had to take me back to grade 11 and I was already 19. Oh how great!" I shouted inside.

" sure mom, whatever you guys say" I faked a smile. " grade 11 it is" I added and drunk the coke heavily before putting down the bottle.

Mom stared at me for a minute. " we have found you a place at Luangwa boys secondary school" she announced unexpectedly.

For the first time I raised my eyes to look at her.

"Okey, so now am going to a government school. Now that is proper rejection I thought" to myself. I had never been to a government school since baby class, and I heard stories of how poor their food was and lots of other unpleasant things. Now I was going to one. A boarding school in the bush.

My parents dropped me off after having me registered and see me to my hostel. One of the workers we came with helped me carry my bags to the room and afterwards I walked outside where my parents said their good byes.

"Be a good boy", dad patted my back. And mom, hugged me tightly." Will see you soon Jared, please make us proud this time around. We expect you to behave and you can ask the boarding master to give us a call in case of anything. Will miss you" she added and patted my hands.

I just nodded without saying a word. I felt my eyes get wet and I quickly turned away to avoid breaking down in front of them.

I heard the car engine start as I walked in the passage to my room.

" hey, am John" a guy on the down bunker called out to me as i stood in the room. I had not paid attention to him since I got in. I had no intentions of making any new friends.

" hey", I responded carelessly. I saw the guy sigh reluctantly.

" your name is?" He asked when he saw I didn't bother to talk to him.

"Jay" I announced casually.

"Jay, just that?" John asked further.

"Yeah, just Jay man do you have a problem with that? " I asked rudely.

I noticed the guy frown.

From the look of his beddings and his skin tone, I could tell the guy was from a poor back ground. I felt bad at the way I was taking out my anger on him. He wasn't the reason I was all heated up so I stopped packing my luxury staff in the Locker and walked to him. Sitting down next to him as he eyed me quietly.

" look, am sorry man, its just that this whole boarding thing got to me and coming to this school was so unexpected. My parents just dragged me here and..."

"I get it man, don't worry" John sighed.

" I mean, I can tell you are from a wealthy family and probably you have never been to such a school before. But not to worry you will be cool here man, I mean we have some guys from your class and sometimes life is great here" he added with a smile.

" thanks man, I held my hand to him. Let's start afresh," I told him." Am Jared Zimba. Grade 11c", I added calmly.

John took my hand and shook it gently." John Kabuswe" , he giggled " and am glad to hear that you are in 11 c. What a coincidence, am in the same class too" he smiled.

" Oh great then," I sighed as we sat down. At least I wont be such a stranger here I smiled.

I discovered John was a cool guy. He talked more than I did but he was a good company. He told me lots about the school.telling me that we had girls too even when most of them where day schoolers. He told me some interesting clubs at school and some of the does and donts.

We spent the rest of the afternoon chatting as he took me around the surroundings. .I could see a lot of glances as we passed around.

" a new kid huh?" one of the guys in a funny swag shouted.

" ignore him man, that boy has issues and he's known for his bad manners, watch out for him and his group. He thinks he owns this place" John told me.

I looked back at the group and sighed.

" well, he better not mess with me am in no mood for his outburst and I don't think I will accept anyone getting me on my bad side" I added calmly

John looked at Me, he was a shoulder shorter than me and I could see a smile on the corner of his mouth. I looked built up and tough too and am sure he liked being around me. I could see how proud he looked and waved at other kids around, more like announcing " am with a rich and tough guy for a friend"

Later that evening we walked to the dinning hall for our dinner. Some faces turned towards us. I wore blue pants and a V- neck tshirt and some sneakers, I bet I looked hot and expensive too. My head was well shaved and I had my side beards well trimmed.

I flashed a smile at one of the boys John introduced to me earlier as the head boy for the school.

Grabbing our food I walked to find a sit near John and the head boy called me out to go sit on their table.

I shrugged and called John to join us too.

" hey man! Am Oswald " the head boy shouted as I sat opposite him.

" hey" I quickly answered and smiled.

Thanks for letting me join you guys I added.

" You welcome my man, you look like you belong here," Oswald shrugged.

I felt good, having to get recognition at the first day in school was actually cool.i guess having some rich family had its benefits after all. My looks added to the good reception.

Well, the day went on well as the head boy and other guys chatted with me. We sat outside the hostels as they told me staff and i listened smiling and laughing through it all.

By the time I got to my hostel with John I felt a sense of belonging. And for the first time in months I had laughed and smiled.

" so what time is class tomorrow?" I asked John as we lay in our beds. The whole hostel was quiet now as the others where probably sleeping. Luckily the rooms where divided by some walls and there where two people in each room. The top part was open and we could hear others clearly.

" Class starts at 7: 15, but we are all expected to be up by 05:30 to clean up the rooms and have our breakfast."

I see, I sighed. Well I have prepared my uniform already and am sure I will make it up at that time. But I don't think I will go for breakfast. I mean, the food we ate this evening is still making my stomac jump . Is that how they cook.?" I asked

John laughed." Welcome, to Lubo", he giggled.

" don't worry though, with time you will start running to go have that food man, I mean, this is just the beginning of term two am sure by the end of the 3rd week all the food you came with will have finished and you will be forced to eat in the dinning" he added.

" oh I forgot, am sure your parents will bring some more for you. Lucky you man, some of us its harsh. We don't see any good food around here except the one we carry for the first week. My mother can't afford it. By the way your parents look cool man. They seem to love you so much. I wish we had such a car too" John said calmly.

I smiled at John, "come on, let's sleep now you talk too much. You have no clue about me." I whispered and got back in my blanket.

A week passed and I begun to get used to being in school. My interest wasn't so much with learning though. I found myself happy around the guys. I always looked forward to getting out of class and even during prep time, I just stared at my books as usual.

John realised I was not so good with school work and he started trying to help me. I should admit the guy had brains. I didn't undersrand how he didn't put in much effort but was always answering questions in class and performed so well in the class exercises.

On a Friday, we were told to go to our various clubs.

" what type of clubs do we have here?" I asked John as we walked out.

" well, am in the JETS club, but there are other clubs too. There's drama, commerce club, mathematics, scripture union and others. The least attended of all though is a dance club that is lead by this hot teacher" John giggled.

" dance club? " I asked with a Grin

" Yeah dance, can you imagine that nonsense? I hear guys who go there just want to take a look at that hot Madam's perfect shape" he laughed.

I stopped walking, looking at John. He shook his head.

" don't tell me you are interested in going to check out this music teacher?" John teased giving me a push.

I staggered back a bit and smiled. " Yeah, I actually want to entertain my eyes" I lied smiling.

I couldn't get to tell my new friend how I loved dancing. I knew from his expression dancing wasn't for people like him. His opinion was clear evidence.

I walked him to his club and slowly escaped to the class where I could hear some music playing.

Without getting inside I stood by the window and watched as the music teacher showed some moves to the group. Most of the pupils there were girls. There were only three guys present and I understood why. They kept on eyeing the teachers curves and barely paid attention to her teaching.

The teacher was indeed great looking, she looked young if not for the fact she was in her clothes and not uniform I could have thought she was one of the grade 12 girls.

I was gazing inside when someone patted my back.

" wanna dance?" A soft voice asked making me turn to the direction of a sweet voice.

" hey" I sighed shyly.

" not really, actually am new here so was just checking out some clubs in this school" I faked a smile.

The girls lips curved into a beautiful smile. She wore her school skirt but had removed her shirt leaving her in a white silk vest making her small round breasts fitting in it perfectly.

" well, so?" She asked almost in a whisper.

" I'm um am." I stammeredu

" think I have seen enough" I told her shrugging.

She smiled again." Am Tracy, and I love dancing, this is my club" she announced proudly.

" Jared" , I shook her hand, "you can call me Jay, most people call me that" I smiled widely.

She turned her head inside. " I better be going now" she chuckled.

"Am missing out on the new steps. Nice to meet you Jay", she smiled and walked in.

I stood there watching as she joined the group and started following the hot teacher's moves.

I smiled and walked away lest the guys saw me drooling over a dance class.

To be continued

Read more here - www.youngicee.com/category/hidden-dream
Re: HIDDEN DREAM - A Romance Novel by DivineSpecial(f): 5:28pm On Aug 19
Jay stop hiding your talent 'cause of what people will say.

(1) (Reply)

How Your Future Defines You. / Ulli Beier dies at 88 / Eunice Where Are You?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (0) (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2019 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 480
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.