Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,328 members, 7,819,119 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:35 AM

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English (89648 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by EniHolar(f): 3:56pm On Aug 15, 2019
OP, How was your night?

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by tofek4real: 6:46pm On Aug 15, 2019
Haba i got a lot of friends that are Britain and i often use the exact same phrase and get a positive reaction and so

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Chukazu: 6:58pm On Aug 15, 2019
And who said we can't have a Nigerian English?

Must every thing be in tune with the British context?

We too be human being naa...haba!

4 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Cregon: 8:34pm On Aug 15, 2019
Dead body with im smell.... By morning when I see a friend, I will still ask....

....give to Ceasar, what is Ceasar's....and to your ancestors, what is Nigerian.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by egopersonified(f): 8:44pm On Aug 15, 2019
Unlike you, I never googled it, but just always felt disgusted by it, also felt it was referring to sex too. And people who always ask how was your night NEVER ask how was your day. You aren't interested in knowing how the day time, which is the touchiest time of my life went but you are interested in how the easiest time of my life went? Mtcheew

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by 1Sharon(f): 9:25pm On Aug 15, 2019
"Or have you eaten" i find it so cringy
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by skyfather09(m): 9:27pm On Aug 15, 2019
EniHolar:
OP, How was your night?
dang .. you beat me to that, I was gonna say the same thing

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Emmanuel226(m): 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
but,i shared dis post on facebook long before now na sad
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
Of course it's wrong. I often say, did you sleep last night?
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by etrange: 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
First, "how was your night?" is grammatically correct and therefore cannot be termed "wrong English". Having said this, it's apparent that its use or otherwise is subject to regional differences.

Some greetings are used more frequently in certain parts of the world than others due to cultural differences and provided there's nothing wrong with the grammar, there's nothing like wrong or right here. While an English man would rather ask about the weather, a Nigerian man would prefer to ask if your night went well.

However, you might want to use the form of greeting more popular in your immediate location.

Do you know a Chinese man asks "chi fan le?" as a form of greeting? It simply means "have you eaten rice?" or more literally "eaten rice?". And no, it's not wrong.

5 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Emmanuel226(m): 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
its already popular on fb cool
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Xisnin(m): 9:28pm On Aug 15, 2019
Pointless arguments.
How was your night is perfectly correct English.
It is normal for English to have regional variations.
Even Americans struggle with some British terms and vice versa.

Ignore the OP's protest unless you are not a Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by dazzlingd(m): 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2019
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Emmanuel226(m): 9:29pm On Aug 15, 2019
old post,go to fb and confirm cool
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Ekaka1(m): 9:30pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ahh..at last. its Nigeria's national anthem.

I hate that silly question like kilode.

Them: How was your night
Me: you don't wanna know...do you? sad
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Isoduwa(m): 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
What about how was your pussy last night �
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by tfash96(m): 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
Leave English for Britons jare
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
etrange:
First, "how was your night?" is grammatically correct and therefore cannot be termed "wrong English". Having said this, it's apparent that its use or otherwise is subject to regional differences.

Some greetings are used more frequently in certain parts of the world than others due to cultural differences and provided there's nothing wrong with the grammar, there's nothing like wrong or right here. While an English man would rather ask about the weather, a Nigerian man would prefer to ask if your night went well.

However, you might want to use the form of greeting more popular in your immediate location.

Do you know a Chinese man asks "chi fan le?" as a form of greeting? It simply means "have you eaten rice?" or more literally "eaten rice"?. And no, it's not wrong.
Common sense is not common for you. Your English translation above here for Mandarin is particularly wrong also. Would you ever get it right? I doubt.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by dangotesmummy: 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
grin grin
SolexxBarry:
How was your day nkor
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:31pm On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.
Don't mind d idiot Edward onoride.

He is suffering inferiority complex
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Bizibi(m): 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2019
I don't say it but I don't see anything wrong with it.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Richardmary(m): 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2019
darling4real1:
I TRULY DON'T ANSWER THIS!!

*Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong?*
Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.
I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help people know about it too.

Here it is.... as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you have a good night sleep?” or
“Did you sleep well?

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

As my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals.
It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.
����������
*So now we know!*
*Don't go asking me or anyone else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*

I guess you haven't heard of NIGERIAN ENGLISH...
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2019
So what's the correct one.

We verify WeChat and Alipay wallet.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:32pm On Aug 15, 2019
Ekaka1:
Ahh..at last. its Nigeria's national anthem.

I hate that silly question like kilode.

Them: How was your night
Me: you don't wanna know...do you? sad
u d OP and stupid Edward is a goat.

#it is stupidity to see compliment as an insult

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by roblance: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2019
Imagine asking a married woman "How was your night"

Do you expect her to say "I was fxXed hard"
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 9:33pm On Aug 15, 2019
Nairaland is now the trash dump site for Instagram and Twitter. This thing trended weeks ago on Twitter smh
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by lunna1: 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2019
How was ur night?......come beat me
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2019
There is nothing wrong asking someone close to you "How was your night". What about "How was your day" and " How was your weekend"? The white man just didn't fancy you, he probably looked down on you as one stupiid and useless Nigerian soldier that can't even tackle common boko haram grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by chizpim(m): 9:35pm On Aug 15, 2019
SolexxBarry:
8How was your day nkor
sex in the day.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by yommen: 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2019
There is a place of Nigerian English, Oga. So I care less about what a foreigner feels.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by kerry57: 9:36pm On Aug 15, 2019
Na lie, how was ur night dey for hausa, if ibo nd yoruba no get am. Hausa have it as Ina kwana? How was ur sleep?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

As Undergraduate Student, Your Phone Gallery Is Filled With Something Like This / Which Is Better? Covenant University Or Babcock University / JAMB releases Mmesoma Ejikeme original result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.