Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,203 members, 7,818,674 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:38 PM

Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English (89628 Views)

Stop Saying “how Was Your Night”, Here’s What To Say Instead / Best Answer For How Was Your Night! / 12 Wrong English Sentences And Phrases You Have Been Making In Ignorance (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by miketayo(m): 9:43pm On Aug 15, 2019
darling4real1:
I TRULY DON'T ANSWER THIS!!

*Do you know that asking a person “How was your night?” is wrong?*
Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.
I felt it very necessary to spread the word and help people know about it too.

Here it is.... as posted by Edward E Onoriode.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you have a good night sleep?” or
“Did you sleep well?

The answer to ‘ How was your night?’ Is actually ‘none of your business!’

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

As my Doctor friend said to me, it may have come from hospitals.
It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
Let us be well aware when we leave our lanes to go measuring that of others.
����������
*So now we know!*
*Don't go asking me or anyone else "How was my night anymore?*

*Copied*

crap. there is nothing wrong with " HOW WAS UR NIGHT?" some peoples opinion about a question doesn't make the statement a wrong use of English

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by ubee(m): 9:44pm On Aug 15, 2019
evilive:
Nigerians and wahala, nah matter wey no be matter we dey flex muscle on top.
"How was your night" has no other meanings to a sane mind than what it meant in structure, nah only robot they look for meaning wey no dey. Must we forever be zombies?

In Nigeria, night nah night. Period.
You refuse to be rational in your assessment of the tone of that type of weird greeting but quickly dismiss it as irrelevant. But people that think rationally know that greeting is really weird.
What is your business with how someone you barely know spent his/her night? Are you a night nurse? Why isn't good morning how do u do enuf for you?
This type is beyond your thinking
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Efegoma(m): 9:44pm On Aug 15, 2019
How is your morning ?
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by 1Sharon(f): 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2019
gwarotango:
This is one question I hear everyday that pisses me off about Nigerians. What kind of stupid question is 'how was your night'? I'm sure it was bastardisation of the correct 'how was your day".

Tell me about it grin Or when they ask " have you eaten baby gurl"

Nigerians speak terrible English but get offended when ppl call it out

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by shigoslim(m): 9:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
I knew this thing right from my secondary school. How was your night is a wrong usage by majority of us in Nigeria.

The correct English is did you sleep well?
Another wrong usage is screen touch rather than touch screen
Wake keeping wrong usage rather wake keep
Etc

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 9:48pm On Aug 15, 2019
ubee:

You refuse to be rational in your assessment of the tone of that type of weird greeting but quickly dismiss it as irrelevant. But people that think rationally know that greeting is really weird.
What is your business with how someone you barely know spent his/her night? Are you a night nurse? Why isn't good morning how do u do enuf for you?
Night owl, not night nurse.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by bluecircle470: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
Op you no get sense. Use ur brain, no one is an authority on that

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Mizwisdom(f): 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
1Sharon:

How was YOUR night? Did Alhaji come?
No, your father came
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
ubee:

You sound like a frustrated lecturer or...
Next time, be rational enough to neglect comments you don't like. Your opinion yout f*cking yoke.

Besides, following rules doesn't make you a rational being.

How was your night? undecided
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Doyin2(m): 9:50pm On Aug 15, 2019
Rubbish.

If your night is not my business,then whether your morning is good or bad should also not bother me.Also how are you should also not be asked.

In fact nothing about you should be my business undecided

4 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by xukwaa: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
English kill you! What is communication?
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
tofek4real:
Haba i got a lot of friends that are Britain and i often use the exact same phrase and get a positive reaction and so
see if I'm dat Edward onoride fada I will disown him

#he is foolish
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Rapmoney(m): 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
SeedofDavid:

This is a bigoted assertion. The people you claim to get this from still enquire of themselves, 'How was your night?'.

Don't just accept anything you see on the internet blindly. It was a person (probably more flawed than you are) that put it there.
People of your type hardly learn. Why not do thorough research on it and find out the true nature of things for yourself instead of countering what you don't know about? Were you the one who invented English? Can you be more familiar with the language than the native Briton? That you don't know something is true doesn't mean it is false.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
shigoslim:
I knew this thing right from my secondary school. How was your night is a wrong usage by majority of us in Nigeria.

The correct English is did you sleep well?
Another wrong usage is screen touch rather than touch screen
Wake keeping wrong usage rather wake keep
Etc
Nigerians(not all) speak terrible English.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by donjahsy(m): 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
I found this so educative and thanks for this but honestly my brother anybody that survives the night in Nigeria needed to be asked how was your night.

To even survive in our sleep here in Nigeria is a miracle.
Is it the mosquitoes?
The security challenges that we have to sleep with one eye closed.
Is it the empty stomach that you went to bed with?
I can continue.

Abeg Nigerians how was your night? Hope say una survive am?

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by 1Sharon(f): 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
Mizwisdom:

No, your father came

Hope you gave him a nice time
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by shogsman(m): 9:51pm On Aug 15, 2019
Uncle wey mumu,Americans, Brits,Canadians ask me all the time,and normally even as in Nigeria you don't ask a person you don't know that sort of question.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by zealadjay(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2019
English no be our language, my brother, how we speak am, we try..

English is a form of communication, expressing oneself..
So if u no undstnd me, I enter dialect, u no still undastnd, my brother my sister, OYO na ur own oooo

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by jaxxy(m): 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2019
It’s a really funny question to be honest. I remember the first time I was asked it felt weird especially from sm1 u barely know.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Neurotika: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
BrainSanitizer:
Ok. Noted.
Someone should please tell our southwest folks, especially the women to stop calling every man "daddy".
Went to make some transactions in the bank on yesterday, Wednesday.
While I was seated waiting for the next available teller, a woman, old enough to be my mother came towards me and said: " Ejoor daddy, ..... (she spoke in Yoruba which I don't understand).
I was like, WTF!! I just stood up and left without saying anything.
In my mind I was like; daddy? For real?!

I’m confused. How does an old woman calling you daddy become something to disgust you. Who is more civilized in the two of you? The old woman who ignores her age to give you an innocuous name worthy of respect or a pedantic you who reeks of pettiness and immaturity?

4 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
ubee:

if I'm u and dat idiot Edward fada I will disown u ppl4bn too inferior to d white.
Gush
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nobody: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
The assertion that it is not proper English to ask people how was their night is preposterous. It might be in the UK but in the US, not only is it proper, it is as common as "how are you?" I totally understand the difference in meaning of some certain words in the UK vs US. Words like living room, gay, trunk, hood, geezer, comforter, trainer etc come to mind. But just because these words mean different things in both countries does not necessarily mean they are not proper English and should be banished.

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by mormoney85(m): 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
Owerri1stSon:
Op, your assertion is completely wrong...

How was your night? is very correct and has nothing to do with sex or what ever you typed there.

tell him( ooo) English words always having different meanings so d person chooses to answer u from d bad side doesn't mean it is all wrong
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by jcross19: 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
darling4real1:

Well, if you didn’t know it until today, get to know with the help of Edward E Onoriode who shared the update on his Facebook wall.

I attended a IED (Improvise Explosive Device) fusion cell meeting with some US and British EOD (Explosive Ordnance Disposal) experts yesterday to discuss all the IED incidences that had happened within the week across Somalia.

At the meeting hall, I saluted one of the British officers ‘Good morning sir’ and he responded back ‘good morning to you too’

My oversabi did not allow me to keep quiet so I went further with the Nigeria popular phrase ‘how was your night sir?’

Dude was shock. He looked at me in a weird way as if I’d said something out of the ordinary. Something that’s sacrilegious which is an abomination to his ears. After some sec, he said ‘how my night went is none of your business’!

I was awed in shock. Normally, I was expecting a simple ‘fine’ ‘Good’ ‘Splendid’ ‘ My night was great’ etc. But he didn’t say any of these but he told me ‘how my night went is none of your business’!
I felt embarrassed.

For minutes, I couldn’t mutter a word back to him. I just buried my head in shame.

All through the meeting, I was lost in thought and I couldn’t concentrate on the meeting minutes. I kept asking myself within, ‘was my question wrong?’ ‘have I said something that offended this man?’ ‘could it be that he had a bad night rest and he decided to transfer the aggression at me?’

After the meeting, I did a little Google search and I couldn’t believe the answers I got.

Ladies and gentlemen, did you know the phrase “How was your night ” In English Language means “How was last nights sex?” “How was your night shift duty?” “How was your health during the night hours?”

Whenever you ask this question in the morning to healthy people who are not in sick bed, you’re invariably inquiring about their sexual comfort/activities during the night or how their night shift went and it’s rude to ask such mostly if you’re not closely related to the person.
No wonder the British officer find my question condescending because he felt I was intruding in his private business since I’m not too familiar with him. But I asked that question with a sincere and innocent mind without any harm.
Basically, how was your night is normally asked to people who are receiving treatments in the hospital or people who are on night shift.

Nigeria has really messed me up. Now, I’d be more careful whenever I want to speak with these white folks because I never can tell when I’d say something that’s offensive and invasive again.
By the way, I need to un-learn so many English I’ve been proudly speaking, they’re wrong.
My happiness is that I know the appropriate question whenever I want to enquire how a person’s night went now and it should be;

“Did you sleep well?

I have checked our local languages. Even as literal translation goes, no Nigerian language asks ‘How was your night?’ I am checking because of this phrase, for those who know, was not in use in Nigeria as recent as 10 years ago.

It’s common knowledge according to the doctor that sick people often have rough nights and most deaths occur at night. So a doctor’s question to the patient during morning ward rounds is usually ‘How was your night?’ If we exported hospital vocabulary to the streets, are we now to assume, we are all at death’s door?

The proper address for mornings is simply ‘good morning’ and if you want to spice it up by being overly friendly, you may add ‘hope you slept well?’ A person’s night is not our business.

If we are Igbo it’s either, ibolachi– have you woken up. Ututuoma- good morning.

If Yoruba, 'ę karo' – good morning. You can go further as Yorubas are won’t do by adding “se daada l'ę ji’ – hope you woke up well?

None of these our local greetings intrusively asks ‘How was your night?’ So, No! It is not African either.
����������
*So now we know!*

*Copied*
[s]
darling4real1:

I felt embarrassed.

“Did you sleep well?

����������
*So now we know!*

*Copied*
[/s]
darling4real1:

I felt embarrassed.

“Did you sleep well?

����������
*So now we know!*

*Copied*
Nigeria problem pass this !!!!.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by omoadeleye(m): 9:53pm On Aug 15, 2019
This is a stale post, now discern your post again, when you were in US whereas we are in Nigeria and we only speaks British English and not American English
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by mofedamijo(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
lol....otondo, one person felt bad and you thought you have made a point, all my white friends from the U.S to the U.K have asked me this question a million times......and i have asked a million times. My girl is white, due to the time difference sometimes, whenever she calls, the first thing she says is "how was your night" baby, she is American though. Nigerians and oversabi ehnnnnnnn.

Nigerians will travel for one week or two, then start comparing the white man poop to their fathers' poop, damn.

2 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by ubee(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
Chukazu:
And who said we can't have a Nigerian English?

Must every thing be in tune with the British context?

We too be human being naa...haba!
It's not a matter of having our own English speaking style or Nigerian English as you put it.
And no everything must not necessarily be in tune with the British style. It's about a language that sounds weird, crappy, intrusive and outrightly dumb.
For over a decade now I have been surprised and at times wince in disgust when I hear Nigerians using this greeting style freely all over the place.
It's clumsy, it's weird, it's wrong.
What is your business with how an acquaintance spent his/her night?
Is the person your patient required to report to you the doctor?

3 Likes

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by millionboi2: 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
donjahsy:
I found this so educative and thanks for this but honestly my brother anybody that survives the night in Nigeria needed to be asked how was your night.

To even survive in our sleep here in Nigeria is a miracle.
Is it the mosquitoes?
The security challenges that we have to sleep with one eye closed.
Is it the empty stomach that you went to bed with?
I can continue.

Abeg Nigerians how was your night? Hope say una survive am?
Mr is totally misleading and not educative at all......don't go and start picking offence with ppl4askiñ how was ur night.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by wman(m): 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
I hate this question.

How the hell will you be asking me 'How was your night?'

The question is totally ridiculous.

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by Nat404: 9:55pm On Aug 15, 2019
shogsman:
Uncle wey mumu,Americans, Brits,Canadians ask me all the time.
Lies! They can't. They often say, did you sleep well last night?

1 Like

Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by godkiller(m): 9:56pm On Aug 15, 2019
davillian:
I use hope you had a wonderful night rest.

Too long bro.
Re: Stop Asking People 'How Was Your Night', It Is Wrong English by ComedianzazaB(m): 9:57pm On Aug 15, 2019
So person can't asked "How was your night" in peace again in this country motivational speaker? If i sound you eh

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

As Undergraduate Student, Your Phone Gallery Is Filled With Something Like This / Which Is Better? Covenant University Or Babcock University / JAMB releases Mmesoma Ejikeme original result

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.