Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:51 PM

Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? (21066 Views)

Murray-Bruce, Lai Mohammed At Genevieve Nnaji's Movie Premiere In Abuja / Enough With Nollywood Criticism - Time For Hollywood Criticism. / Ramsey Nouah And Emeka Enyiocha For Hollywood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by IAH(f): 12:53am On Jun 22, 2005
Is Hollywood ready for Genevieve Nnaji?
I am not the one asking o! Genevieve herself is asking. She wrote this article on July 23, 2004

The recent article of Bovi Ugboma on RMD’s column made quite an interesting read for me and I had to go inside myself and think about this Hollywood brouhaha. Mr. Bovi thinks I would make quite a success in Hollywood (I do too) but he actually raised some mind boggling questions which I think only me can find answers to. I don’t think he was talking directly to me but he nevertheless made his thoughts known so I would like to reply him on some of the issues he touched.

Before I go further, I have seen lots of articles on why I should not be a columnist and I am so surprised by some people’s outburst. I think everyone has a right to express him or herself, and If anyone has a grudge with what I write then the simple thing to do is flip over my column when you see it. I don’t think I have in anyway expressed vanity or presented myself in a way that would give me the name arrogant, but for no reason I can think of, some people just don’t like my column. I am consoled by the fact that not everyone must like me. I do try my best to be nice but if my best is not good enough, it’s not my fault, ok? In Hollywood, a musician can be an actor, a columnist, or whatever else he decides to add to his profession, why should it be different here?
I am quite flattered that Mr. Bovi would single me out for Hollywood if he were given a chance to choose an actress and to this, I say thank you to him for recognising my talent and appreciating me.

Now to the point he raised. Would I be able to stand the heat in Hollywood? Hollywood is not better than Nollywood, it’s just that they have better tricks to make the movies look real but anyone that can survive the heat of movie making here and make a name, can make it anywhere else. Here, we deal with real-life stories, Hollywood is make-believe.

Of course, it’s not easy climbing up the ladder in Hollywood but is it easy anywhere else? Will I be able to cope with their professional standards? Will I be able to cope with the beauty rave and madness of Hollywood? Will I do my nose, do my chin, have breasts implant or enlarge my lips? Hmmm, questions that need answers!

I am an African woman and if Hollywood needs me because of my African heritage, wouldn’t it be so silly to change it all when I get there? Would it be wise to change it all and not be able to fit back into the society that made me? I do agree that Hollywood is the dream of every actress, but I don’t agree that losing ones head in the madness is worth it. Oh yes, I will go on diets, (I do here too) and do every physical exercise to get my body into shape but that’s all I can say for now.
I couldn’t help laughing when Mr. Bovi almost concluded by asking me if I would be able to handle the press. What a question!… I am sure that every person who has ever been written about in Nigeria would agree with me that if you can survive the war with the Nigerian press, you have a thick skin to see you through the press anywhere else in the world. I am not boasting, but I think I have had more than my fair share of press coverage and it’s done me more good than harm. I have African skin which is thick so comparing me to the likes of Elvis Presley, Benny Hill, Marilyn Munroe and many others who were depressed by press coverage would be a mistake.

Mr. Bovi concluded in a rather dramatic way and I said AMEN when I got to that part, quoting him he said, “I believe if Genevieve goes to Hollywood, her prowess would speak for her and eventually she would make it to the top to become perhaps the second black woman to win an Oscar for Best Actress. Also the second African woman but most importantly, the first black African. All these I believe can come to pass if Genevieve goest to Hollywood!”

What I want Mr. Bovi to think about is not if Genevieve goes to Hollywood, he shouldn’t bother himself with the if’s and the what’s, the GOD I serve doesn’t sleep on me and if he wills it, I will go to Hollywood and if he lets me get there, it’s to make an African statement with my African-ness. The question should be “IS HOLLYWOOD READY FOR GENEVIEVE?”

By Genevieve Nnaji [www.genevievennaji.com]
Friday, July 23, 2004

Is this girl not just dreaming? Comparing Hollywood with Nollywood. She still has a looooooooooooooong way to go. Or what do you think?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by obong(m): 1:10am On Jun 22, 2005
She can make the leap, but nollywood is no where near hollywood.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by hotangel2(f): 5:38am On Jun 22, 2005
Obong is so right. H is a very far letter from N. She ain't gon get there soon. Does she really think Hollywood movies are jokes?? shocked
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by shockreaction(m): 3:51pm On Jun 22, 2005
Hollywood is not better than Nollywood, it’s just that they have better tricks to make the movies look real...

First of all, anyone see a contradiction here?

Next, the statement, "Hollywood is not better than Nollywood" is the stupidest thing I've come across in a while now. Aside from the fact that 99% of Nigerian movies released are not original, they just don't cut it; well, for me that is. And what's with the trend of new Nigerian movies releasing parts 1 and 2 these days (I know, because my mum watches them, not me)? Almost 90% of the new ones I've come across have 2 or more parts. Gosh, it just sucks. Nigerians should be creative, and strive to be better, and try to do something of good quality and not redo the same thing over and over again, managing with very poor resources and such...
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Seun(m): 4:15pm On Jun 22, 2005
How are we going to attract fans of Genevieve Nnaji if we keep yabbing her like this
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Angelgal(f): 4:44pm On Jun 22, 2005
Please Seun get real....Genevieve is definitely a long way from Hollywood. She thinks she is acting movies? Na play she dey act joo.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Seun(m): 5:09pm On Jun 22, 2005
If she reads this she will be discouraged and when we try to interview her she'll reject it.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by IAH(f): 6:13pm On Jun 22, 2005
Seun:

If she reads this she will be discouraged and when we try to interview her she'll reject it.
Seun:

How are we going to attract fans of Genevieve Nnaji if we keep yabbing her like this

I think you are even going to attract them more...cos they love defending her so much! They'll come and tell you why she's going to Hollywood by 2006!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by shockreaction(m): 6:54pm On Jun 22, 2005
Seun:

Haha... You've got to visit Hollywood movie critic sites to find out how much they bash some actors... It's very painful, to say the "least". Besides, the actors aren't even bothered as far as they're making their money smiley

And no, I'm not bashing her. I'm only trying to point out that she should check her facts, well, so that she doesn't have to make ridiculous statements next time. I have nothing against her. Heck, I'd even ask her out if I got the chance, although I might get the "You're not my type" response, but that's another issue entirely.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by yomidipset4eva(m): 9:23am On Jun 23, 2005
That female is overrated ,I've seen way prettier Nigerians wink
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Angelgal(f): 10:41am On Jun 23, 2005
Who be Bovi Ugboma sef? Let Steven Spielberg or Spike Lee recommend her for Hollywood then we'll know for sure she's ready for Tinseltown.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by obong(m): 1:27pm On Jun 23, 2005
First, Nigeria has no film industry. it has a home video industry. Second of all Ms Nnaji can make it to hollywood like any of the actors here, but her credentials from Nigeria wont help her because those movies are pretty bad. Even Bollywood, thats more respected, ha very few actors that have made it to hollywood
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by sage(m): 3:27pm On Jun 23, 2005
Genevive to Hollywood. HE HE HE. She has to learn to act films first and not home videos and comedies and playz. I dont see her in hollywood in 12 yrs, simply b/cos not that i dont wish her well but the truth is that in hollywood, there r lots of actresses who r much prettier than her and can act a lot better but have not been able to make it. i think she is far overrated
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Seun(m): 3:49pm On Jun 23, 2005
I don't think 'over-rated' is the term. Genevieve Nnaji is 'well-loved' by her fans; she is blessed with thousands of loyal fans who are crazy about her. It's not just about beauty or acting talent. 'Fan following' (popularity) is what makes a celebrity and our beloved Genevieve is one of the few Nigerian actresses blessed with so many loyal fans.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by oyin: 12:15pm On Jul 01, 2005
if she can try harder she will get there i am one of her admirers
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by WesleyanA(f): 9:19pm On Jul 04, 2005
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Dorcas(f): 10:09am On Jul 05, 2005
Let's forget about taking Nigeria places here and face it let's Genevieve try to improve the quality of the movies they act here that when compared to American movies 1% to 100% ,first before she think of going to Hollywood because hollywood is serious business.

Anyway it is good to have dreams they keep one going you no.

Dorcas.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by angelak(f): 1:06pm On Jul 05, 2005
how can Genevieve think that she can make it in holly wood? is she a dreamer? i know she a very good actress locally, but thats as far as she can go. the only way she can be doing movies in hollywood is if shes acting an African woman role. grin
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by monica(f): 10:56am On Jul 08, 2005
i think genny can do much better than a lot of hollywood actresses becos she is so talented everyone can just go and do an audition in hollywood and they will call the person and the the person recieves more than 5million dollars for a foolish role he played i even think nollywood actresses r much better than hollywood actor and actresses so if genny thinks she is ready for hollywood i think she should go for it cos i know she can do better and africans will be very proud and also i will see her much often on interviews and all that .ha ha ha grin grin
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Akos: 3:47am On Jul 22, 2005
Personally I think most of you are giving Hollywood way too much credit. Yes Hollywood is of a higher quality than Nollywood but I think that has to do more with technology than acting skills in particular. Most Hollywood actors are really not all that much better than Nigerian actors. I'm not talking about actors like Denzel Washington or Angela Basset, I'm talking about the average ones like J.Lo, Carmen Elecktra and the rest who can't act for beans or have average acting skills but are still given staring roles in films. I'm not Nigerian but I have watched some of Genevieve's films and I really don't see why she would have a problem making it in Hollywood when the average Hollywood actress has very little acting abilities. Even Yaya of America's Next Top Model, who has had no acting training has scored a leading role in an upcoming Hollywood film. I think it is very possible for Genevieve to make it into Hollywood, plenty of actors with no prior experiences have made it into the industry simply because they fit the role that the directors are looking for.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by olaide07(f): 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2005
Genevive to hollywood!It's a real fantasy
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by uche777(f): 7:06pm On Jul 25, 2005
"genny for HOLLYWOOD"

that cld be possible but then she has to do some finsihin touches on her
acting skills
b4 they fit consider am abii
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Latoya(f): 3:25am On Jul 27, 2005
She is alright,but she over does evrythin of hers.i even hear say she don dey sing. grin
Down here lots of Africans from other countries love her but..... angry
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by uche777(f): 2:01pm On Jul 28, 2005
dat her album abi wetin she call am is the worst ,if u get to listen to it u ll vomit everyhting wey dey for your belle honestly it's so irritatin.................................. grin
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by hotangel2(f): 2:51am On Jul 29, 2005
Was it as bad as that?
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by Latoya(f): 6:59am On Jul 29, 2005
What is the album's name i need to hear it o grin
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by pintos(m): 12:08am On Jul 30, 2005
Tall ambition jare...............to dream sai you be millionaire, no mean sai you go remain for that dream forever..............If you wake up from sleep, you go see sai you still dey AJ for your Pako house.
My sister Genny dream on. Life is full of dreams................but make you no compare Holly with Nolly.......abi? Its like comparing catalput with Gun.
I wish Naija Emergency Artist good luck.............as everybody don turn to Producer/Director , Film Star or Marketer
I tire for naija!
Genny you no know sai Pikin dey crawl before he waka........you never even sit nor crawl/ stand before you want compete for Olympics with Ben Johnson dem. If to sai you get nose you for snuff..................My mouth shut up!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by joftech(m): 3:26am On Jul 30, 2005
I wonder if she think say Hollywood na beans. Even Americans sef no dey find am easy to enter Hollywood not to talk of one with with heavy accent.

I beg make she no dey console herself with a role in any Hollywood flick because of the ban on her head.

Hollywood no be IT wey dem fit outsource anyhow.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by gina34(f): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2005
whats wrong with you guys and gurls. genevieve is my girl and she is a talented actrees.as H being far from N well rome was not built in a day likewise hollywood.
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by TaliTali(m): 1:00pm On Aug 01, 2005
I must say something here. All you do is to turn one's ambitiousness down. Genevieve N. you are up to the task. Do not be beaten by their negative talks. Anyway I know you as a courageous actress who will not stupefy herself. kiss

You guys, say something positive too now!
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by hotangel2(f): 1:10pm On Aug 01, 2005
Okey dokey tali-tali. Genny is Definitely gonna make it in Hollywood. She is a very good actress and knows how to get what she wants. wink
Re: Genevieve Nnaji for Hollywood? by TaliTali(m): 3:03pm On Aug 01, 2005
You got the point hot-angel. Tell them!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Doyin Evicted From Big Brother Naija House & Moved To Level 3 / Names Of Interesting Korean Movies / Photos From Bbnaija Old School Themed Saturday Night Party - Week 7

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.