Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,620 members, 7,809,285 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:17 AM

Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US - Crime (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US (91094 Views)

Three Nigerians Indicted Over $6m Fraud In US / EFCC Orders Agents To Manhunt 77 Nigerians Indicted By FBI For Fraud / Is This One Of The '80 Nigerians' Indicted For Fraud Spraying Dollars? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Nobody: 6:28am On Aug 23, 2019
undecided

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Peacemaker5129(f): 6:29am On Aug 23, 2019
Industrious criminals from potopotor republic always representing

6 Likes

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Geesaintagape: 6:30am On Aug 23, 2019
USA government should execute them quickly n have peace.

2 Likes

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by LewinskyMon: 6:32am On Aug 23, 2019
sreamsense:
Unbelivable, close to 99% from one region! Was Abike Dabiri right or not when she said 20 out of 21 Nigerians awaiting execution in Indonesia are from Anambra? She was speaking from facts while many were countering her based on sentiment and tribalism. Here is another proof, this is one of the reasons PayPal and many other online businesses don't want to include Nigeria in any financial dealing which is affecting many legitimate users from Nigeria. EFCC should intensify more effort locally while other countries around the world should collaborate with EFCC to flush out fraudsters and drug dealers in their midst. Nigeria, will be great again! And believe me, there is something in the east aside poverty that we are yet to understand, but pushing youngs and adults into drug and fraud related cases than other regions in the country.
cool
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by meeky007(m): 6:32am On Aug 23, 2019
CyberEBOLA:
GOOD, PLEASE JUST KILL THEM ALL.
stupid you
u will die first

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Hotfreeze: 6:33am On Aug 23, 2019
DesChyko:

To be honest, you are being an illiterate.

Coming from someone who would probably still die in a foreign prison, you're ignored.
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Nobody: 6:35am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Anyone caught, tried and convicted should pay for his crime! This is the main thing!

Trying to draw attention to their ethnicity is for what? If your country had provided them with opportunities to earn a decent living i doubt we would be here discussing this today! This issue of getting gov't to be accountable and work for the people is all what IPOB is about! If you have a problem with their modus-operandi then start your own movement to change things....just like Sowore tried to do before they silenced him!
just shut the fuc.k up! I repeat, shut the fuc.k up!! This is annoying undecided

8 Likes

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by SmallmebigGod: 6:38am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

If you find yourself in the US without the requisite qualifications or skills to get and hold down a job, that American dream will soon turn into a nightmare!

Though there's the element of criminality no doubt, but if these guys (that's those of them in the US, b'cos i understand some of them were operating from Nigeria) were given a good educational foundation back home and did not grow up experiencing social dislocation as is presently the case in Nigeria, as well as having good job prospects after schooling......if the aforementioned had been the case, then i doubt we would be discussing this issue today!
It will shock you to know ,that you need a high level of education to do this kind of fraud. This is not just marriage scam alone o we are talking of stealing millions of dollars
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by ThothHermes: 6:40am On Aug 23, 2019
LoJ:
What is the cause of this tendency to scam among Nigerians.

If I had not known great Nigerian people, in the like of sarassin or Mizmycoli, or happypagan I would have run away from anything related to Nigeria for life.

90% of all Nigerians I later got in touch with, tried to scam me one way or the other. A few successfully did. Others failed. Most were totally dishonest.

What is the cause of this. I went from Being the greatest supporter of the Nigerian culture, to a disillusioned and disenchanted observer of the country.

Poverty can't be the only reason, as most subsaharian countries are even doing worse than Nigeria.

Thank god for the few men of integrity left in that otherwise great country. I like the Nigerian culture a lot, but I fear some of the people equally much.
I
This is saddening but unsurprising. The average Nigerian is always looking for a way to advance himself immorally. A Nigerian will defraud you at the first opportunity.
I think the answer to your question is complex. Probably deserves a thread of its own.
The problem is our values. Our value system is decrepit.
The only thing we hold dear is money. Mammon is our god. As long as you are rich you will get away with anything. Everyone wants that kind of freedom. So they become willing to do anything to get that money.
A gradual erosion of moral values is why we are at this point.
Just take a look at the things music artistes glorify in their songs. They give impressionable youths a false idea of success and they think they have to achieve that success however possible.
Worse still is that no one will question you when you finally make the money.
Nigeria is the only country I know where sudden wealth is not questioned.
Can you imagine Hushpuppi and company doing what they do in your country?

It's a complex issue really. But the summary of it is that our value system has broken down totally.

19 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Starhearts: 6:41am On Aug 23, 2019
contigiency:

Oga, stop supporting evil. I am a core Igbo man. But you see how painful it is to tarnish the image of a whole race simply because of the crime of a few. When our people started calling Fulani people names that you will hardly call animals just because of the crime of a very few of them, many of you were happy with it. Such that every killing and rapping of women in any part of the country were being tagged to the Fulani's.

You talked about the country not providing a decent living as the reason for this crime? You lied bros. I can help you provide answer to the reason because I see you don't know it. The reason is greed and laziness. If not, are we the most undeveloped country in the world? How is our own so different? And how come this kind of crime always come from my Igbo brothers? Did the Yoruba's, Hausa's and other Nigerians travel abroad from a different Nigeria where milk and honey flow from heaven that made them to live more decent life? Or are these countries; Cameroon, Sudan, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, Niger, Liberia, etc more developed than Nigeria such that their citizens who equally travel abroad don't border to commit crime and make it big from the sweat of others? Given, Nigeria has no decent living standard and no jobs as the reason, so how come they travel abroad where they can have decent living but they chose crime?

As for your sowore and your Nnamdi KANU, have they not proven to be criminals and terrorists? Otherwise, how can Nnamdi KANU place monetary bounty for his boys to go after the lives of some selected Igbo leaders? His own supposed brothers. Why can't him come and lead them to get those men? Again, are you aware that since sowore's madness landed him in detention his wife and children are still abroad have not even come home one day to check on him? So he want to fuel crisis in the country but first of all went and secured his family abroad. Then he will come and use other peoples children who they consider as touts to go and die the same way Nnamdi KANU did. You people should learn to use your senses.

One big stout for diz fellow

4 Likes

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by adedayourt(m): 6:42am On Aug 23, 2019
Biritiko:
Mo daran!
Most of them are from southeast .
shocked shocked shocked
Wow! Just wow!
99.99% of them are from the southeast mehn !
This one weak me, I can’t lie .

It shameful.

Developers is maximally represented n that list

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by four4: 6:42am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

Anyone caught, tried and convicted should pay for his crime! This is the main thing!

Trying to draw attention to their ethnicity is for what? If your country had provided them with opportunities to earn a decent living i doubt we would be here discussing this today! This issue of getting gov't to be accountable and work for the people is all what IPOB is about! If you have a problem with their modus-operandi then start your own movement to change things....just like Sowore tried to do before they silenced him!
but USA provide them opportunities to make or earn legit decent living but instead they preferred fraudulent mean, the actual problems is that average Nigerians are dubious and fraudulent in nature

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by slickbak(m): 6:42am On Aug 23, 2019
CanadaOrBust:
Naija no fit carry last
We are #1!!!

https://www.nairaland.com/5120718/nigeria-ranked-1-scamming

Take the scam described below. Average citizens of other countries are incapable of it without govt involvement (note the bolded):

washingtonpost.com
The Washington Post

Business

Nigerian scammers are stealing BILLIONS of dollars

By Cleve R. Wootson Jr.

June 12, 2018 at 2:56 PM

The FBI said June 11 it made 74 arrests in connection with 419 Nigerian email scams. The Post's Cleve R. Wootson Jr. explains how these scams have managed to be so successful. (Allie Caren/The Washington Post)

Savvy people already know it’s a bad idea to trust an email from a Nigerian prince hoping to use their bank account to unload a dead relative’s vast wealth.

And they’re just as suspicious of the sudden Internet-based love interest with questionable grammar who needs a few thousand untraceable dollars to clear up a passport issue in time for a magical first date.

But in a sophisticated and terrifying evolution of the Nigerian 419 scam, web-savvy crime syndicates are figuring out ways to bilk U.S. citizens of billions.

On Monday, the FBI announced the arrest of 74 people across the world — including 29 people in Nigeria and 41 in the United States — who authorities say were part of complex international networks that combed filings by the Securities and Exchange Commission, spoofed CEO emails and successfully targeted even hardened employees whose jobs are to safeguard their companies from financial mismanagement.

The recent scams have the same DNA as the poorly worded emails that have been showing up in people’s inboxes since the 1990s. Instead of playing on hopes of finding love or lust for sudden wealth, they play on fears about missing a vital company payment or upsetting a boss’s boss.

“[Scammers] are doing their research … going onto company websites and looking for the right people,” FBI Assistant Director Scott Smith, who helped lead the investigation, told the Wall Street Journal. “They may even go as far as pulling annual reports and finding what companies they do business with and [impersonating] those accounts.”

Adeyemi Odufuye and his team, for example, sifted SEC records, company websites and other business documents, looking for the names and email addresses of chief executives, chief financial officers and controllers, court documents say.

Odufuye, who had a half dozen nicknames, including “Jefe,” the Spanish word for “chief” or “boss,” led a crew responsible for stealing $2.6 million, including $440,000 from one business in Connecticut, according to the Justice Department.

The schemes used a variety of tactics to gain people’s trust and steal their money, federal authorities say. They registered website domain names that were hard to distinguish from the companies they were targeting — impersonations meant to give emails an air of authenticity. Some of those emails arrived with malware attachments that would snap images of a victim’s desktop or transmit key log information — a hacker trick for nabbing someone’s password.

They even employed money mules whose sole purpose was to move the ill-gotten gains from account to account, authorities say, disguising the electronic paper trail from investigators.

Odufuye was extradited from Britain on Jan. 3. He pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to commit wire fraud and one count of aggravated identity theft.

The arrests highlighted just how many people are falling for the latest iterations of the Nigerian hustle, as well as the staggering losses American businesses are accruing. According to FBI figures obtained by the Journal, victims of such scams reported $275 million in losses in 2015. By 2017, reported losses had more than doubled, to $675 million. And in the first quarter of this year, more than 4,000 victims reported $685 million in losses. The bureau estimates American businesses have lost more than $3.7 billion as a result of the schemes.

Since January 2015, the FBI estimated last year, there has been a 1,300 percent increase in identified exposed losses from similar scams. On Monday, the FBI issued a public service announcement about the scams.

Last year, FBI Special Agent Martin Licciardo, an organized crime investigator, said such crimes are “a serious threat on a global scale. The ability of these criminal groups to compromise legitimate business email accounts is staggering. … They are experts at deception.”

Scammers target businesses of all sizes, sometimes spending months studying a company’s organizational chart, the FBI said. They target people who frequently transfer large amounts of money and sensitive records in the course of business. They impersonate executives, human relations staff, law firms and trusted vendors. They usually insist that whatever bogus issue they’ve raised be cleared up as soon as possible, often by an immediate wire transfer. Discretion is often advised.

Another pair of alleged swindlers, Paul Wilson Aisosa and Gloria Okolie, went after a real estate closing attorney in Augusta, Ga. Such attorneys routinely keep large sums of money in a trust, often serving as a go-between for buyers and sellers. But Aisosa and Okolie convinced the unnamed attorney to send the proceeds from a recent sale — nearly $250,000 dollars — to Okolie’s account instead of to the seller, authorities said. Building walls won't stop the migrant crisis they have when ppl are ready to dig tunnels with their bare hands even.

The pair is awaiting trial after being accused of laundering $665,000 in illicit funds, according to the Justice Department.

Before the attorney’s deposit, court documents say, the only cash in the account was the $100 required to start it.
Oboi. These Americans and Europeans should help develop "The Africa" they plundered or they won't rest too. If they think our bad leadership and backwardness is our problem alone, they better check again. Walls wont stop ppl ready to dig tunnels, the oceans won't stop ppl ready to drown. Shame is becoming a perfume in Nigeria. The word has been used so much it's meaning has dropped in value.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by dfrost: 6:45am On Aug 23, 2019
daddytime and sreamsense nice comments.

I was telling someone that Governor Makinde giving a portfolio to a youth is not enough.

Engage the youths, pull them off the streets.

We are in a deep mess and we are yet to realise.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Commentor: 6:45am On Aug 23, 2019
IGBOSON1:

[s]Anyone caught, tried and convicted should pay for his crime! This is the main thing!
[/s]
[s]Trying to draw attention to their ethnicity is for what? If your country had provided them with opportunities to earn a decent living i doubt we would be here discussing this today! This issue of getting gov't to be accountable and work for the people is all what IPOB is about! If you have a problem with their modus-operandi then start your own movement to change things....just like Sowore tried to do before they silenced him![/s]

Did America deprive them of opportunities too?

Check well well, Nnamdi is in jail as we speak.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Nobody: 6:46am On Aug 23, 2019
vanunu:

Wait bros, before the next 3 months Una own list will show.

Yimu, you think say na tribal war be this? I be Urhobo man from Warri.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Commentor: 6:48am On Aug 23, 2019
Quorax:
[s]You just had to rope tribalism into this. These particular guys here are a syndicate, which means they work together as team and it is not surprising to see they from one place.

What about the Yorubas that were caught at one time?

You fools will leave the cause of all these problems and focus on irrelevancies. I do not know what is wrong with you. Whether you like it or not, as long as the bastards we have as leaders will not do anything and citizens who find energy to blame IPOB for beating Ike Ekweremadu even when they did so for a good reason such as preventing what we are reading here but your people who like answering sir sir were mocking them for lack of "respect"

Yes, they are Nigerians and since you all will not do the right thing, you will continue to feel the consequences... AS A NIGERIAN[/s].

Don't blame their parents and their indoctrination.

Be there blaming Ekweremadu.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Toroso: 6:48am On Aug 23, 2019
Stop being foolish you can not be a scammer with prerequisite education to get jobs in the USA. They USA as a minimum wage system that pays beta than bank ceo in Nigeria so shut your mouth n accept all those fools on the list are diehard criminals from Igboland.

After all, there are cyber criminals everywhere but defending them so shamelessly out of bigotry like you have chosen is just plain senseless n foolish at the same time.

IGBOSON1:

If you find yourself in the US without the requisite qualifications or skills to get and hold down a job, that American dream will soon turn into a nightmare!

Though there's the element of criminality no doubt, but if these guys (that's those of them in the US, b'cos i understand some of them were operating from Nigeria) were given a good educational foundation back home and did not grow up experiencing social dislocation as is presently the case in Nigeria, as well as having good job prospects after schooling......if the aforementioned had been the case, then i doubt we would be discussing this issue today!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by DesChyko: 6:49am On Aug 23, 2019
Hotfreeze:

Coming from someone who would probably still die in a foreign prison, you're ignored.

Good of you to use 'probably'. The illiteracy claim was in the fact that you used 'all' the first time. You're learning.

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Roon9(m): 6:49am On Aug 23, 2019
nikkygal:
This list is blood curdling haba!

Does it mean Nigerians don't have any other job abroad now than crime and fraud? How can this number of people be involved, and yet they've not even finished their arrests?

This is such a huge disgrace. This country is on a downward spiral...geez!

Look at their nicknames: 'Thank you Jesus, 'Pastor Ken', Son of God etc. Bunch of fraudsters constantly making things more difficult for legit folks like us...Awon adojutini gbogbo...

Please lock them up & throw away the keys...

lalasticlala
Mynd44

I just wonder

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Commentor: 6:50am On Aug 23, 2019
slickbak:

[s]Oboi. These Americans and Europeans should help develop "The Africa" they plundered or they won't rest too. If they think our bad leadership and backwardness is our problem alone, they better check again. Walls wont stop ppl ready to dig tunnels, the oceans won't stop ppl ready to drown[/s].

Were you even born when they "plundered" the wealth?

Do you really think you can win this game if they are keen on getting you?

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Orpe7(m): 6:50am On Aug 23, 2019
Shebi paypal don bar una
Very soon western union, money gram, world remit etc go bar Nigerians from receiving cash and this modafuckers will successfully ruin it for legitimate business owners

8 Likes

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by Preferito(m): 6:51am On Aug 23, 2019
Jabioro:
Ours name get soared every second both home and abroad
I guess you mean "soiled"
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by slickbak(m): 6:52am On Aug 23, 2019
Commentor:

I am not a scammer. I think they need to help because our leaders don't care about engaging youth.
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by lexy2014: 6:52am On Aug 23, 2019
nextstep:
Please, I'm not condoning fraud, but I just want a more balanced reaction.

Man please. USA and its citizens are the overlords and originators of fraud of all kinds:

Insurance fraud: $80 billion a year across all lines of insurance.
https://www.insurancefraud.org/statistics.htm

Fraud as a result of data breaches - Equifax, Target, and a few others come to mind.

Medical Fraud: $1.24Billion
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/10/711688988/feds-charge-24-in-alleged-1-2-billion-medicare-fraud-scheme

Recent corporate frauds:
https://www.forbes.com/pictures/efik45ekdjl/our-take-on-the-10-biggest-frauds-in-recent-u-s-history-2/#69f48367775a

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-identity-theft-and-cybercrime

USA and Europe are the source of much more fraud. However, the profits from those places far outweighs the fraud. Conversely, Nigeria is not that valuable a market for them so they can afford to lose our business.

Thank u my dear 4 this info. Inasmuch as it is shameful & stupid what some Nigerians choose to do abroad, it is only convenient 4d western media & their security agencies to tag fraud a Nigerian thing when they are lords of fraud& killings

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by idonhammer: 6:53am On Aug 23, 2019
They are stupid and yet they were able to scam them $1.1Billion between Jan to July this year alone? See ehh,Na those rasta mumu ritualists wey dey claim Yahoo boys for Nigeria dey confuse una. Americans are scared of real sophisticated Yahoo guys because they know what they are capable of.

StrikeBack:
I wish I was never a Nigerian. How can you carry " defrauding" to. Developed society.
These guys are plain stupid
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by oluwadabira111(m): 6:54am On Aug 23, 2019
worldman2:
you are wrong.. Most of them are igbo
We are all nigeria
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by slickbak(m): 6:54am On Aug 23, 2019
Commentor:

Our government can't do it alone. Arrest and arrest is just a cycle.
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by GoldenSon007: 6:55am On Aug 23, 2019
ValCon888:
$1.1billion between Jan to July. These guys are stealing the yearly budget of some countries.

True talk shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by lexy2014: 6:55am On Aug 23, 2019
slickbak:
I am not a scammer. I think they need to help because our leaders don't care about engaging youth.

So when they now got a country where things work, d next is to settle down and begin to steal peoples money. Y didn't they use that same brain of stealing to get good jobs in d US and make a good name 4 themselves over there. Using Nigerian govt as excuse doesn't cut it

1 Like

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by 24kmagic: 6:56am On Aug 23, 2019
The federal government should instruct the embassies in Nigeria to be very, very strict about visa applications from indigenes of the south east and south south. They should give only few people visa to their country yearly.

I hate tribalism but Igbo people have damaged the image of Nigeria on the foreign scene.

Foreigners now consider Nigerians as criminals because almost all Nigerians living abroad are into on form of crime or the other. Sadly, 90% of Nigerians that travel out to hustle are Igbos. The remaining 10% from other regions.
How can you sell your land, house, and other belongings just because you want to travel abroad and commit crime? They should be executed asap.

Just stop giving them visa abeg.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full List Of Nigerians Indicted For $1.1B Internet Scam In The US by SmallmebigGod: 6:57am On Aug 23, 2019
Nwakanwa92:
Thunder fire your generation idiot, your mama na ashawo , I'm an Igbo and I no support their behavior at all,but for u to call the whole tribe prostitutes that means ,your mother use doggy style to collect your pregnancy ,idiot mofo
On a lighter note, I don't think the style of collection matters, pikin we go better go better

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Five Yahoo Yahoo LAUTECH Boys Busted By EFCC, See Their Faces (Photos) / Husband & Wife & Their Children Walk Unclad On The Street Of Cape Town (Photo) / Photo Of SARS Officers Who Killed Kolade Johnson Released By Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.