Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,812 members, 7,820,873 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:51 PM

How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. (1013 Views)

Do Stutters/stammers Have Remedies At All? / Why Do Girls Find It Hard To Communicate / I Love Him But He Wouldn't Communicate With Me. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Aug 23, 2019
NL_NATION

What's Stammering/Stuttering?

A person who stutters often repeats words or parts of words, and tends to prolong certain speech sounds. They may also find it harder to start some words.

Some may become tense when they start to speak, they may blink rapidly, and their lips or jaw may tremble as they try to communicate verbally. Stuttering is common when a child is learning to speak and is an estimated five times more common in boys than girls.

Stuttering is a common problem, but in most cases, it can be overcome. We all have the capacity, it may happen during a stressful job interview, talking to emergency services on the telephone, or during a presentation to a large crowd.

For some, however, the problem persists and requires some kind of professional help, such as SPEECH THERAPY.

Signs and symptoms associated with Stuttering:

• Problems starting a word, phrase, or sentence.
• Hesitation before certain sounds have to be uttered.
• Repeating a sound, word, or syllable.
• Certain speech sounds may be prolonged.
• Speech may come out in spurts.
• rapid blinking when talking
• trembling lips
• foot tapping
• a trembling jaw
• the face and/or upper body tightens

How to communicate with a Stammer

People who are not used to talking to somebody with a stutter might be unsure about how to respond. Sometimes, the listener will look away whenever the stutterer stutters, or try and help by completing their missing words or phrases.

It is important to remember that a person who stutters is interested in communicating just like everybody else. Focus should be on the theme of the speaker and the information they are trying to get across, rather than how it sounds.

A stutterer is very aware of what their speech is like; they know only too well that they can take longer to utter phrases. In fact, this awareness sometimes makes the stuttering worse.

It is important that the listener gives out a feeling of patience, calm, and peace. An impatient listener, or a listener who seems impatient, may make it harder for a stutterer to speak.

Telling the stutterer to relax, or to take a deep breath, may have helpful intentions, but could stress them out even more (it may help some, though). Stuttering is not simple to overcome, and cannot usually be easily sorted out with a few deep breaths.

credits: MNT
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by lincsnuel: 12:47am On Aug 24, 2019
Do not laugh at a stammerer when he's having a conversation with you. Even when he tells a joke, don't laugh, especially at close range!

Those people tend to get aggravated when people laugh at them or try to mimic their stammer.

Sadly, I learnt the hard way when one stupid barrow pusher who happened to be a stammerer almost turned me to peper soup for laughing at him

1 Like

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 1:00am On Aug 24, 2019
lincsnuel:
Do not laugh at a stammerer when he's having a conversation with you. Even when he tells a joke, don't laugh, especially at close range!

Those people tend to get aggravated when people laugh at them or try to mimic their stammer.

Sadly, I learnt the hard way when one stupid barrow pusher who happened to be a stammerer almost turned me to peper soup for laughing at him
shocked and most don't like being interrupted. Don't complete their sentences, just patiently wait for them to finish

2 Likes

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by lincsnuel: 1:14am On Aug 24, 2019
Blackivy27:
shocked and most don't like being interrupted. Don't complete their sentences, just patiently wait for them to finish

Exactly!

I know the wait might be like forever cos it would take eternity for him to finish but you just gotta wait. Cos if you leave, he might perceive it as you trying to insult or belittle him/her.

Stammerers are hard to be with abeg...

The worst na if you come get her as gf/wife, and she come dey nag too much... My brother jez jejely write your will cos you go die very soon.

If na the man dey stammer, hmm... He will be panel beating the wife on a daily!
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 1:19am On Aug 24, 2019
I met a fine man and when he talks, he stuttes grin

I can't lie, I feel awful but... Nah... Not for me, I need good DNA lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by ubunja(m): 1:22am On Aug 24, 2019
lordskid:
NL_NATION

What's Stammering/Stuttering?

A person who stutters often repeats words or parts of words, and tends to prolong certain speech sounds. They may also find it harder to start some words.

Some may become tense when they start to speak, they may blink rapidly, and their lips or jaw may tremble as they try to communicate verbally. Stuttering is common when a child is learning to speak and is an estimated five times more common in boys than girls.

Stuttering is a common problem, but in most cases, it can be overcome. We all have the capacity, it may happen during a stressful job interview, talking to emergency services on the telephone, or during a presentation to a large crowd.

For some, however, the problem persists and requires some kind of professional help, such as SPEECH THERAPY.

Signs and symptoms associated with Stuttering:

• Problems starting a word, phrase, or sentence.
• Hesitation before certain sounds have to be uttered.
• Repeating a sound, word, or syllable.
• Certain speech sounds may be prolonged.
• Speech may come out in spurts.
• rapid blinking when talking
• trembling lips
• foot tapping
• a trembling jaw
• the face and/or upper body tightens

How to communicate with a Stammer

People who are not used to talking to somebody with a stutter might be unsure about how to respond. Sometimes, the listener will look away whenever the stutterer stutters, or try and help by completing their missing words or phrases.

It is important to remember that a person who stutters is interested in communicating just like everybody else. Focus should be on the theme of the speaker and the information they are trying to get across, rather than how it sounds.

A stutterer is very aware of what their speech is like; they know only too well that they can take longer to utter phrases. In fact, this awareness sometimes makes the stuttering worse.

It is important that the listener gives out a feeling of patience, calm, and peace. An impatient listener, or a listener who seems impatient, may make it harder for a stutterer to speak.

Telling the stutterer to relax, or to take a deep breath, may have helpful intentions, but could stress them out even more (it may help some, though). Stuttering is not simple to overcome, and cannot usually be easily sorted out with a few deep breaths.

credits: MNT
it would have been nice for you to read and understand the above article first then PUT IT IN YOUR OWN WORDS AND IN AN AFRICAN SETTING and also give examples from your own experiences with people who stutter. It would have been so much more interesting.

As it is your post us rather dry in that it's just data no-one can connect with emotionally.

Edit: I myself had a serious stutter in my primary school years. Now it's better cause I learnt how to manage it.

1 Like

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by luvyaself95(m): 6:01am On Aug 24, 2019
Am a stammer but i stammer little even am angry i control my temper normally people mimic me my ex hardly find out am a stammerer
and most stammerers i know when they get angry just don't stay close to them they can do and undo...
the best way for a stammerers not to stammer too much is that he should always control his temper and calm down before taking doing those two with confidence help me a lot...

2 Likes

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 12:37pm On Aug 24, 2019
ubunja:

No need to do that. Only a kid won't understand the post. I post for knowledge not for debate. Grow up & stop being petty.
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 12:48pm On Aug 24, 2019
lincsnuel:

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by ubunja(m): 12:49pm On Aug 24, 2019
lordskid:

No need to do that. Only a kid won't understand the post. I post for knowledge not for debate. Grow up & stop being petty.
no one asked for debate. Don't allow your preconceived ideas about me to control you.

The advice I passed to you is advice someone gave a group of wannabe writers and myself.

Don't copy and paste.

Read, internalize then put it on your own words. What you write about becomes interesting because then it comes out with your own "signature". That is, your tone jokes and style. Overral we enjoy it. Don't copy and paste.

Also, Don't be too quick to be offended.
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by chiommy123(f): 12:57pm On Aug 24, 2019
Some people stammer so bad that you Can't help but laugh
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 1:00pm On Aug 24, 2019
ubunja:

[s] No one asked for debate. Don't allow your preconceived ideas about me to control you.

The advice I passed to you is advice someone gave a group of wannabe writers and myself.

Don't copy and paste.

Read, internalize then put it on your own words. What you write about becomes interesting because then it comes out with your own "signature". That is, your tone jokes and style. Overral we enjoy it. Don't copy and paste.

Also, Don't be too quick to be offended. [/s]

The Irony. Just like you always do with ya posts, right? Abeg grow up jare, NL Alpha male! grin
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by ubunja(m): 1:05pm On Aug 24, 2019
lordskid:

The Irony. Just like you always do with ya posts, right? Abeg grow up jare, NL Alpha male! grin

I told you. Don't let how you feel about me control you. See how I read you correct. You just hate that I'm the one telling you.

Anyways, when you get out of your feelings consider my advice. It can only benefit you. No one means you any harm here.

And please note; You were not disrespected.
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 1:27pm On Aug 24, 2019
ubunja:

I told you. Don't let how you feel about me control you. See how I read you correct. You just hate that I'm the one telling you.

Anyways, when you get out of your feelings consider my advice. It can only benefit you. No one means you any harm here.

And please note; You were not disrespected.

Hate is a strong word. I ain't hating on you. I was once an ardent reader of ya posts. But I changed. I just don't like to plagiarize/"own" a content. The post is simple & "emotional" enough. I see no need to put it in my "own words" or "emotionalise it".
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Magnoliaa(f): 1:28pm On Aug 24, 2019
lordskid:

He's right.

Separate him from the advice he's giving... that's it's coming from him doesn't make the 'advice'...nonsense.
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by ubunja(m): 1:29pm On Aug 24, 2019
lordskid:

Hate is a strong word. I ain't hating on you. I was once an ardent reader of ya posts. But I changed. I just don't like to plagiarize/"own" a content. The post is simple & "emotional" enough. I see no need to put it in my "own words" or "emotionalise it".
you could have said so right from the start.

Then I would have said "Okay".
Simple.

1 Like

Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 1:36pm On Aug 24, 2019
Magnoliaa:

He's right.

Separate him from the advice he's giving... that's it's coming from him doesn't make the 'advice'...nonsense.

It's settled
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Aug 24, 2019
lincsnuel:

Exactly!

I know the wait might be like forever cos it would take eternity for him to finish but you just gotta wait. Cos if you leave, he might perceive it as you trying to insult or belittle him/her.

Stammerers are hard to be with abeg...

The worst na if you come get her as gf/wife, and she come dey nag too much... My brother jez jejely write your will cos you go die very soon.

If na the man dey stammer, hmm... He will be panel beating the wife on a daily!
grin Honestly. I guess they just dont like their diabilities being pointed out to them. Even id thats not what youre intendin.
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by Junkie1: 6:34pm On Aug 24, 2019
undecided ALL THIS WRITE-UP AND YOU ACTUALLY DIDN'T SAY MUCH
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by vincentjk(m): 8:54pm On Aug 24, 2019
I'm a stammerer but you barely notice it at first meeting, especially if I'm talking to a girl. But as time goes on people tend to notice it in my speech
Re: How To Communicate With A Partner That Stammers. by olatunyemi(m): 9:47pm On Aug 24, 2019
If I tell people I am a stammerer, they use to disagree because I have deduced my own way of helping myself and you would never notice unless I am arguing and I am on the defensive side. I even wrote my project on stammering and my lecturers were wowed

(1) (Reply)

Black Woman Disfigures Boyfriend With Acid As He Sleeps. He Kills Himself Later / What Caused Your Break Up With Your Ex ? / Man Who Refused To Pay Prostitute After Service Gets Beaten

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.