Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,418 members, 7,815,937 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:36 PM

The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos (84242 Views)

Households Under Pressure As New Electricity Tariff Due July 1 / Buhari Approves New Electricity Tariff; Rich Nigerians To Pay More / NERC Stops Estimated Billing By Discos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by farem: 7:41am On Aug 25, 2019
[quote author=whisper88 post=81571514]Why are some more expensive than others, and the cheaper ones feel like [b]APC controlled states[/q[/b]uote]

Like Benin centre that's paying the highest abi
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by Oksman(m): 8:05am On Aug 25, 2019
deenee:

Point of correction the increases were reversed.

Are you sure? Pls elucidate further when this was done.
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by Yomite22(m): 9:42am On Aug 25, 2019
helphelp:
Insensitive in my opinion
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by arrestdarrester: 11:18am On Aug 25, 2019
The point now is that estimated billing will tag along and increase by 100%
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by deenee: 11:42am On Aug 25, 2019
FarahAideed:

It's clear that you don't pay your own electricity bills , I Buy electricity for my prepaid metres and I know he the price of a Kilowatt hour increases , infact the last increase to 25.4 naira per kilowat hour was never even announced

Y'all want constant electricity but don't want to pay for it. Very funny

Just like fuel our electricity tarrifs are the lowest in the world. The way we think baffles me. It is from the tariffs that cash flow for process improvements and business expansion is generated. Otherwise nothing will improve. Mind you one of the conditions that Siemens gave the govt as part of the agreement they just signed is the tarrif increase. Tarrifs have to be competitive so the business case makes sense and companies looking to invest in the sector can break even.

Some low-mid income houses in USA pay as much as 250-300 dollars pay month for gas and electric and yet we are wetting our pants for a 10k a month bill in an industry where rate of collections and payments is below 45%. There is no how quality of service will improve with such dismal tarrifs and collection rates.

More so nigerians are wasteful. I have seen people live their security lights on 24-7. Some will even go to work with their aircons on etc. Try that in a sane society and see how much you will be billed at the end of the month.

This is like expecting to fly first class but expecting to pay the price of economy.

1 Like

Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by deenee: 11:45am On Aug 25, 2019
Oksman:

Are you sure? Pls elucidate further when this was done.

Work with Google.

GEJ tried it but was met with stuff resistance and he chicken out just before selling the discos . It was also attempted in 2016 and fashola resisted it.

Check the internet
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by FarahAideed: 11:52am On Aug 25, 2019
deenee:

Just like fuel our electricity tarrifs are the lowest in the world. The way we think baffles me. It is from the tariffs that cash flow for process improvements and business expansion is generated. Otherwise nothing will improve. Mind you one of the conditions that Siemens gave the govt as part of the agreement they just signed is the tarrif increase. Tarrifs have to be competitive so the business case makes sense and companies looking to invest in the sector can break even.

Some low-mid income houses in USA pay as much as 250-300 dollars pay month for gas and electric and yet we are wetting our pants for a 10k a month bill in an industry where rate of collections and payments is below 45%. There is no how quality of service will improve with such dismal tarrifs and collection rates.

More so nigerians are wasteful. I have seen people live their security lights on 24-7. Some will even go to work with their aircons on etc. Try that in a sane society and see how much you will be billed at the end of the month.

This is like expecting to fly first class but expecting to pay the price of economy.

Shut up this man ..this narrative is dead already ..Do you realise what people pay for in Nigeria is darkness and not electricity ,.. Do you pay your house rent before the landlord has even built the house ? Abeg take your low IQ out here and don't come spoil my sunday
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by arcnomec(m): 12:36pm On Aug 25, 2019
deenee:

Just hear yourself... $250 -300 for gas and electric.Here we are buying gas and buying electricity ,equate to dollar and tell me the figure.
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by abbaapple: 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2019
Penboy:

What has been your contribution to humanity?

angry

Gerrarahia man!
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by deenee: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2019
arcnomec:

Just hear yourself... $250 -300 for gas and electric.Here we are buying gas and buying electricity ,equate to dollar and tell me the figure.

You are contradicting yourself bro.

250-300 USD is approx 90k-108k in naira and this is just for a median household abroad. Now tell me how many of Y'all pay within this range per month in Nigeria?. You want 24 hours light yet you don't want to pay.

You think the people that have invested in the Discos are charity organizations?

Please y'all go and do your homework very well. We have the lowest tarrifs and even with that people don't pay their bills so please explain to me how you want the discos to be able to provide y'all with 24 hours light, be a going concern and expand business?

On one end NBET and TCN cant keep to their terms of engagement re transmission and pricing of gas from the gencos and yet they are charged even if the gas supplied gets to the discos or not.

The same discos have written several proposals to the FGN for them to source for electricity off grid from alternative sources like solar wind etc which will be more sustainable and cheaper in the long run, the FGN refused.

The agreement when GEJ wanted to privatise was for tariffs to be increased so the business case makes sense to any investor but he spoke about it and nothing happened because of his political ambition Subsequently, the serious investors withdrew their offers leaving the whole exercise at the whims and caprices of his cronies whom used the acquisition as an avenue to launder illicit funds.

Again the government of the day is trying to correct these ills and we are crying foul .

Light generation, transmission and distribution is not rocket science....sending an unmanned space craft into space or inventing a driveless car or flying space suit is

However no serious investor with expertise in this sector will put money down if the business case is not right.

Germany and a handful of the Scandinavian countries now depend totally on alternative sources of energy aka solar wind and human waste.
Small companies are even encouraged to generate and monetise with the govt having firm regulatory oversight.

Kenya now generates power from windmill yet leaving us behind. Maybe it's when we become like Venezuela that y'all will wake up.

And for those that claim I don't pay my light bills on my own. Please know that i do oh infact across two jurisdictions in residential and business capacity and i also know how much I spend buying diesel in both capacities in Nigeria.

Last note the internet is a very funny place where peoole just do desk top analysis and automtically feel that they gave become subject matter 3experts.
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by nitrogen(m): 5:41pm On Aug 25, 2019
deenee:

You are contradicting yourself bro.

250-300 USD is approx 90k-108k in naira and this is just for a median household abroad. Now tell me how many of Y'all pay within this range per month in Nigeria?. You want 24 hours light yet you don't want to pay.

You think the people that have invested in the Discos are charity organizations?

Please y'all go and do your homework very well. We have the lowest tarrifs and even with that people don't pay their bills so please explain to me how you want the discos to be able to provide y'all with 24 hours light, be a going concern and expand business?

On one end NBET and TCN cant keep to their terms of engagement re transmission and pricing of gas from the gencos and yet they are charged even if the gas supplied gets to the discos or not.

The same discos have written several proposals to the FGN for them to source for electricity off grid from alternative sources like solar wind etc which will be more sustainable and cheaper in the long run, the FGN refused.

The agreement when GEJ wanted to privatise was for tariffs to be increased so the business case makes sense to any investor but he spoke about it and nothing happened because of his political ambition Subsequently, the serious investors withdrew their offers leaving the whole exercise at the whims and caprices of his cronies whom used the acquisition as an avenue to launder illicit funds.

Again the government of the day is trying to correct these ills and we are crying foul .

Light generation, transmission and distribution is not rocket science....sending an unmanned space craft into space or inventing a driveless car or flying space suit is

However no serious investor with expertise in this sector will put money down if the business case is not right.

Germany and a handful of the Scandinavian countries now depend totally on alternative sources of energy aka solar wind and human waste.
Small companies are even encouraged to generate and monetise with the govt having firm regulatory oversight.

Kenya now generates power from windmill yet leaving us behind. Maybe it's when we become like Venezuela that y'all will wake up.

And for those that claim I don't pay my light bills on my own. Please know that i do oh infact across two jurisdictions in residential and business capacity and i also know how much I spend buying diesel in both capacities in Nigeria.

Last note the internet is a very funny place where peoole just do desk top analysis and automtically feel that they gave become subject matter 3experts.

You are right. Collection is the main issue (bar transmission breakdown and capacity issues). One is the capacity of the discos to collect, the other (which is actually the major problem) is the willingness and ability of users to pay.

Quite unfortunate!
Re: The New Electricity Tariff Across The Country Approved By Discos by yhemmsy(m): 7:53pm On Sep 23, 2023
I just parked into this house and the phcn bill seemed to be causing more than enough issues among fellow tenants cos we don't seemed to know why our unit finish fast.

6.9units is what we now get for 1000naira.

Could it be that there is debt of the meter?

Someone with more knowledge of this should please educate me

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

10 Most Developing States In Nigeria - Opinion / Silence From Buhari’s Aides As President Recuperates In London / Supreme Court Sacks Ihedioha, Declares Uzodinma Winner Of Imo Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.