Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,050 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight (5771 Views)

Day 4 Of Ministerial Nominees' Screening - Live Updates / CBN Gives Insight Into Why States Can’t Pay Salaries / Insight: Why Nigeria's Restive Oil Region Will Only Accept Jonathan - YAHOO NEWS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by pdone: 12:19pm On Oct 25, 2010
I have seen and read a lot of posts both on nairaland and other forums, of people pointing accusing fingers at the government. I acknowledge that our government sucks but I think 3/4 of Nigerian Diaspora suck big time.

One great important thing of traveling/ living in another country is to learn the people's culture,technology, way of life, etc and applied the good ones when you return to your motherland. But when it comes to Nigerian Diaspora, the case is different. Most have made it a call of duty to sit in front of their system and yawn all day without an action. In most countries, you will see Nigeria Diaspora holding meetings and called themselves one name or the other. Believe me they have been holding that meeting even before Jesus was born and they will keep on holding it until His Kingdom Come.

Most Nigerians outside the country has two dominant dream/desire.
1.) To build a house
2.) To buy a car.

Tell me, how can I live in the house when I haven't find a job? It is not hard to see a Nigeria Diaspora driving a car worth the price of 4m, still has about 3 more packing in his car port and living in a house of gold but just a stone throw, is a waste area smelling like a three months dead baby. Suppose he sell the three cars, and use the money in fixing his environment regardless of whether his neighbours contribute or not. But hell no he won't do it; but he is ready to wait for the government to include his environment in the next budget.

Taking a look at countries like China, India,Brazil, Mexico and some other developing countries, most of their citizens studied abroad and went back home for actions. They applied their knowledge, their money, their time, and some can even scarify their life. But push the ball to Nigerian Diaspora, his/her first target is to gain permanent resident, nationalize, buy a computer and connect to internet. The next day, he/she will start yawning on nairaland.

I'm tired of seeing the likes of Philip Emekwali appearing on bbc or other news network and start yawning about Nigeria condition. I can bet my last dime that he hasn't step his foot on Nigeria soil for the past 10years nor has he contributed anything to the country.

Like I said earlier, not all Nigeria Diaspora but it is really had to find the few that are willing to scarify for the betterment of Nigeria.

The case of Nigeria is the case of a cow under the care of one thousand men. Guess what will happen to the cow, it will surely die. The reason is this, Mr A will say that it is Mr B's turn to feed the cow today. Mr B will tell Mr C to help him with the feeding because he get's important appointment. But unfortunately, Mr C forget and at noon Mr D will take his bowl to get some milk from the cow.

I wipe for the cow. May God have mercy on that cow.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by edoyad(m): 12:58pm On Oct 25, 2010
you certainly woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning grin .
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by rebranded(m): 1:18pm On Oct 25, 2010
Its obvious you dont understand an average Nigerian Psychic - AS FAR AS IT DOESNT AFFECT ME DIRECTLY, NO WAHALA!

I believe you are abroad why not go back home and use your money to at least fix your community, you can lead by example, than on nairaland grin
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by 1025: 3:00pm On Oct 25, 2010
I have seen and read a lot of posts both on nairaland and other forums, of people pointing accusing fingers at the government. I acknowledge that our government sucks but I think 3/4 of Nigerian Diaspora suck big time.

One great important thing of traveling/ living in another country is to learn the people's culture,technology, way of life, etc and applied the good ones when you return to your motherland. But when it comes to Nigerian Diaspora, the case is different. Most have made it a call of duty to sit in front of their system and yawn all day without an action. In most countries, you will see Nigeria Diaspora holding meetings and called themselves one name or the other. Believe me they have been holding that meeting even before Jesus was born and they will keep on holding it until His Kingdom Come.

1.) To build a house
2.) To buy a car.

Tell me, how can I live in the house when I haven't find a job? It is not hard to see a Nigeria Diaspora driving a car worth the price of 4m, still has about 3 more packing in his car port and living in a house of gold but just a stone throw, is a waste area smelling like a three months dead baby. Suppose he sell the three cars, and use the money in fixing his environment regardless of whether his neighbours contribute or not. But hell no he won't do it; but he is ready to wait for the government to include his environment in the next budget.

Taking a look at countries like China, India,Brazil, Mexico and some other developing countries, most of their citizens studied abroad and went back home for actions. They applied their knowledge, their money, their time, and some can even scarify their life. But push the ball to Nigerian Diaspora, his/her first target is to gain permanent resident, nationalize, buy a computer and connect to internet. The next day, he/she will start yawning on nairaland.

I'm tired of seeing the likes of Philip Emekwali appearing on bbc or other news network and start yawning about Nigeria condition. I can bet my last dime that he hasn't step his foot on Nigeria soil for the past 10years nor has he contributed anything to the country.

Like I said earlier, not all Nigeria Diaspora but it is really had to find the few that are willing to scarify for the betterment of Nigeria.

The case of Nigeria is the case of a cow under the care of one thousand men. Guess what will happen to the cow, it will surely die. The reason is this, Mr A will say that it is Mr B's turn to feed the cow today. Mr B will tell Mr C to help him with the feeding because he get's important appointment. But unfortunately, Mr C forget and at noon Mr D will take his bowl to get some milk from the cow.

I wipe for the cow. May God have mercy on that cow.

@poster,
i stopped reading when i get to where u suggest someone selling his cars to clean his environment. is that what u do or what u will do?
oposition is part of democracy outside nigeria so ppl saying things about the govt in power makes the govt know that ppl are watching.
in politics, opositions act as watch dogs on the govt. nigeria is not a poor country where individuals will sale their cars and clean the environment.
how will u feel seeing a politician carry funds mearnt for the public and u use ur personal funds to fix things for him.
in lagos, ppl use their funds to fix roads and provide other necessary things of life that the govt is surposed to provide.
it is important u know that we are paying taxes so paying the nigerian police, army, buy transformers, building roads, and doing other responsibilities of the govt will be a wonderful idea as u say here.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by tpia5: 3:21pm On Oct 25, 2010
i stopped reading when i get to where u suggest someone selling his cars to clean his environment.

the poster is funny but he has a point.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by EzeUche0(m): 3:22pm On Oct 25, 2010
You are not winning any allies. Nigeria needs the Diaspora, because the most intelligent Nigerians are in the Diaspora. The ones left back at home do not have any vision.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 3:28pm On Oct 25, 2010
EzeUche0:

You are not winning any allies. Nigeria needs the Diaspora, because the most intelligent Nigerians are in the Diaspora. The ones left back at home do not have any vision.

And you say this why    undecided

Why don't you think before you talk, it'll help make more sense!  cool
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by EzeUche0(m): 3:31pm On Oct 25, 2010
Ujujoan:

And you say this why    undecided

Whay don't you think before you talk, it'll help make more sense!  cool

Nigerians back home have no vision or they are COWARDS.

Simple as that. Why should the Nigerians in the Diaspora come back home, when our minds are not being tapped into. The nations that he mentioned, support their brightest citizens.

LIKE I SAID. NO VISION!

Nigerians hate the truth. . .
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 3:37pm On Oct 25, 2010
EzeUche0:

Simple as that. Why should the Nigerians in the Diaspora come back home, when our minds are not being taped into. The nations that he mentioned, support their brightest citizens.

LIKE I SAID. NO VISION!

Boy . . . your words are filled with VISION! embarassed embarassed

Dont you go all self-righteous! You as a Nigerian, whether in diaspora or at home have the same responsibility with those based at home! And incase you don't know, you can make as much impact from 'wherever you are' as you can from Nigeria!

And yes, NIDs do not have the 'Think-Home' mentality.

Maybe NINs are Cowards, but NIDs are the biggest of them all!
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by EzeUche0(m): 3:43pm On Oct 25, 2010
Ujujoan:

Boy . . . your words are filled with VISION! embarassed embarassed

Dont you go all self-righteous! You as a Nigerian, whether in diaspora or at home have the same responsibility with those based at home! And incase you don't know, you can make as much impact from 'wherever you are' as you can from Nigeria!

And yes, NIDs do not have the 'Think-Home' mentality.

Maybe NINs are Cowards, but NIDs are the biggest of them all!

I am not getting self-righteous. I am just the harbinger of truth. The Nigerians at home, have to show the ones in the diaspora that they are ready in change. We in the Diaspora cannot bring change to Nigeria, because we will be seen as outsiders in some way.

I rather invest in a nation, that will invest in me and my family. A nation that doesn't invest in its citizens is not worthy enough for people to invest in.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 4:04pm On Oct 25, 2010
and you have the guts to call Nigerians at home cowards based on the fact that we should make the country better before almighty you can come home.are you Nigerian or not?have you ever lived in Nigeria?

Have you heard of the likes of Ghandi?If you want to make a change you really do not need us you just need to have a conviction and believe and commitment that it can be done.so dnt sit on your high horse and ask Nigerians at home to make it good enough for you before you contribute to the growth and development of your country,you sound better off in the diaspora.

The diapora you are so happy to live in was moved forward on the blood of a courageous few and others caught on.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 4:05pm On Oct 25, 2010
@ Eze Uche

You see that's where you are wrong!

Being abroad doesn't mean you'll do a better job if given the opportunity . . .  and being in Nigeria doesnt mean you will do it badly!

Take a look at Gov. obi of Anambra. He came back from the States and they gave him the mandate. What did he do with it?

What do you mean you'll be treated as an outsider Where on earth did you get that from?
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by EzeUche0(m): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2010
Yes I call Nigerians back home cowards. My whole life was spent in Nigeria. Port Harcourt to be exact and I traveled to the U.S. with my siblings to get a higher education.

Until Nigeria invest in its brightest instead of politicians enriching themselves, we in the DIaspora will help another nation that can tap into our talented minds.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by MaiSuya(m): 4:24pm On Oct 25, 2010

ROTMAFLO!!!
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 25, 2010
@Ezeuche0 this is what makes you the typical naija guy who does nothing and is quick to call others coward.by all means pls invest your "great mind" in better countries where great minds from the country have made the necessary sacrifice and you are reaping the benefits but dont ask us to be as "patriotic as you are"
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by pdone: 5:02pm On Oct 25, 2010
EzeUche0:

Simple as that. Why should the Nigerians in the Diaspora come back home, when our minds are not being tapped into. The nations that he mentioned, support their brightest citizens.

LIKE I SAID. NO VISION!

EzeUche0:

I am not getting self-righteous. I am just the harbinger of truth. The Nigerians at home, have to show the ones in the diaspora that they are ready in change. We in the Diaspora cannot bring change to Nigeria, because we will be seen as outsiders in some way.

I rather invest in a nation, that will invest in me and my family. A nation that doesn't invest in its citizens is not worthy enough for people to invest in.

My brother you are right to your view but if you ask my opinion, I think you got it wrong bro. Must Nigeria Diaspora wait until Nigeria is fix before they contribute something. That is called medicine after death.  There are some innovations/projects happening outside Nigeria which people living in Nigeria don't have the knowledge of. Suppose one of the diaspora bring such innovation home, it will be a great insight and example for people living in Nigeria. And many can sharpen their knowledge through such innovation. Take a look the history of China, before they were closed to the world. They don't communicate with the outside world much. But within 15 years since they open up to the world, accepting true technology, and allowing many of its citizens to bring home what they have learnt. Today, Chinese are no more regarded as the silly Chinko.

In the world of business/economy, ALIBABA is becoming a household name. Don't forget that he brought what he learn from outside the country and applied it within his country. Did he wait until China becomes fully ripe before he strikes? No, he just did it immediately and thereby creating many jobs for chinese people
Look at Baidu, there is no way google can beat baidu when it comes to search engine market within China. Where did he got his innovation? He got it from google and applied it within China. Did he wait until China becomes fully ripe? Nooooo. Neither did he wait for the government to develop every part of China.
Look at Iran, everyone is hearing about their nuclear plant. Do you think they learn everything within their country. Of course not, most of their scientists studied outside their country.

If only a thousand Nigeria diaspora can bring home their innovations, and applied it, Nigeria will change overnight.

andromida:

and you have the guts to call Nigerians at home cowards based on the fact that we should make the country better before almighty you can come home.are you Nigerian or not?have you ever lived in Nigeria?

Have you heard of the likes of Ghandi?If you want to make a change you really do not need us you just need to have a conviction and believe and commitment that it can be done.so dnt sit on your high horse and ask Nigerians at home to make it good enough for you before you contribute to the growth and development of your country,you sound better off in the diaspora.

The diapora you are so happy to live in was moved forward on the blood of a courageous few and others caught on.

Thank you my brother. Most of the great nations got their ideas and technology from another country greater than them. They moved back and fight for their motherland. Read about the founders of United State. Do you know how it came to be? It is because of the decisions be by 5 men who is ready to die for the sake of his country people. Their decisions beat British. And now most of their descendants are enjoying the fruit of their labour. But here our case is different, no one care about the country. And none is ready to to scarify.
Nigeria is just like a lady being cheated by her husband and the same husband will be the first to fight with anyone who call his wife a funny name.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by tpia5: 5:38pm On Oct 25, 2010
i see nothing wrong with the suggestion that some people give up a few of their fancy cars and help improve their environment.

how many wealthy nigerians have funded public parks and the like, back home?

they always wait for the govt to do it.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by ZIMDRILL(m): 6:00pm On Oct 25, 2010
guys the problem sometimes is from the people currently running things, most of them dont like ideas from the young generation which has ideas from wherever s/he did his studies (abroad) they feel like you are taking over and also they dont want to pass on the batton they want to die being in charge

we have the same problem in zimbabwe the old generation moslyt from the ruling party they dont want to pass the button to young generation, can a 60 year old person have a vision for me a 34 years old ? in zimbabwe roughly everything big you want to start you have to bribe or align yourself with elit ruling party.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 6:13pm On Oct 25, 2010
1.) To build a house
2.) To buy a car.

is the op talking about emigrants or people left at home?

building a house is a latent ambition of just about every working nigerian

as to living in a house of gold with waste area's a stone's throw away - i see that in ikoyi all the time - there's this road where enough ceos live - the road is shit

in fairness to them - they pay their taxes, provide employment to thousands, do csr, why should they be tasked with doing the job of the local government?
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Ikengawo: 7:19pm On Oct 25, 2010
the chinese and indians don't 'study abroad and go back home'

they US has hundreds of china towns of permanent residents with no plans of seeing china again, or india.

nigerias do this annoying 'every country is doing it right except us' thing where they think nigeria is an exception to everything all the time.

some go back, some stay, just like nigeria.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by 9ja4eva: 7:26pm On Oct 25, 2010
tpia@:

i see nothing wrong with the suggestion that some people give up a few of their fancy cars and help improve their environment.

how many wealthy nigerians have funded public parks and the like, back home?

they always wait for the govt to do it.

True that.Its amazing to know we have rich Nigerians home and away yet they sit and complain about everything.
If only Bill Gates was Nigerian.

EzeUche0:

I beg to differ on that point.I am not in Nigeria at the moment but i can boldly say that what Nigeria is today the innovations and technology we enjoying in that Country today was spearheaded by the Nigerians back home.Nigerians back home though  most of them are corrupt are doing their best for the Country.

The poster has a valid point in that NID don't want to do anything to make the Country a better place for all.China is the world superpower today because they believe so much in their Country.It is so hard to see a Chinese man without any investment in China.Some Nigerians abroad believe Nigeria is a living hell and do not want to be associated with the Country in anyway.If we all run away from Nigeria saying the Country can never rise.My question becomes who will be there to make Nigeria a living paradise for our children when we leave this world?I believe we in Diaspora can contribute immensely to the development of Nigeria.

Wonderful analysis poster.The truth is hard but it has to be said.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by redsun(m): 7:46pm On Oct 25, 2010
This could be jonathan's wife yarning opata with this beer parlor gossip as if living is by force.life is for u to live with dignity no matter where u are. He that lacks is he that doesn't know how to live.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by safariman(m): 8:00pm On Oct 25, 2010
I wouldn't say 3 out of 4, I would say, one out of four lack insight. Many people in diaspora went back home only to come right back, demands from family, friends and society in general is too much to keep up with. As one does business in Naija, you have to wear a different hat, and to some extent, only deal with people you know because things are sometimes what they claim it to be. Some in diaspora will agree that everytime you go back home, you see improvement, but at the same time, you see decay and infact some area have worsened.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by redsun(m): 8:01pm On Oct 25, 2010
Nigeria as a country has no ideology.d only accepted ideology is corruption
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by AjanleKoko: 8:11pm On Oct 25, 2010
EzeUche0:

Actually I agree with this poster. He's right.

@OP,
You are way off the mark. Why should we at home blame the Diaspora people, when we haven't done anything either? Change must start from within. We must stop being weak and lazy, and learn how to synergize and collectively take control of our environment.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by invisible2(m): 8:43pm On Oct 25, 2010
EzeUche0:

LIKE I SAID. NO VISION!

You are lying, you are lying through your gap tooth!
Most Nigerians that ran away with their tail between their legs are the real cowards. And you think the brightest Nigerians are outside? Better think before you type.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Nobody: 10:50pm On Oct 25, 2010
I agree with the poster. A lot us Nigerians are mentally lazy! It does not matter whether in Naija or in the diaspora. We expect too much from our leaders/government as if government is not peopled by just as clueless folks as the average Nigerian. A look at developed nations shows that their development was driven by the private initiative and enterprise of its citizens and NOT by the government.

Our development problems will be solved if each of us individually put our brains to work to implement solutions and not waiting for some utopian leader to wave some magic wand and turn our land into an el dorado.
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by Kobojunkie: 11:31pm On Oct 25, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Actually I agree with this poster. He's right.

@OP,
You are way off the mark. Why should we at home blame the Diaspora people, when we haven't done anything either? Change must start from within. We must stop being weak and lazy, and learn how to synergize and collectively take control of our environment.

I am glad someone gets the message!
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by chyz(m): 12:04am On Oct 26, 2010
Kobojunkie:

I am glad someone gets the message!

ROFLMAO!!!
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by 9ja4eva: 1:15am On Oct 26, 2010
kalokalo:

I agree with the poster. A lot us Nigerians are mentally lazy! It does not matter whether in Naija or in the diaspora. We expect too much from our leaders/government as if government is not peopled by just as clueless folks as the average Nigerian. A look at developed nations shows that their development was driven by the private initiative and enterprise of its citizens and NOT by the government.

Our development problems will be solved if each of us individually put our brains to work to implement solutions and not waiting for some utopian leader to wave some magic wand and turn our land into an el dorado.

Well Said
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by chic2pimp(m): 2:24am On Oct 26, 2010
chyz:

ROFLMAO!!!
What should we call this? Or are you now Kobo in disguise? grin
Re: 3/4 Of Nigerian Diaspora Lack Insight by shinaidowu: 6:54am On Oct 26, 2010
Nice and thought provoking topic, but when is this NIN vs NID feud going to end. The problem IMHO is that those in Nigeria stuck here would want to blame those in Dispora for not doing anytin than complaining while those in Diaspora are so carried away with what they are seeing than coming back home to contribute their quota.Let the truth b told,those
suicide bombers believe so much in their cause hence so willing to die for it. But NIN and NID do not b
Believe in anything, the only belief we have is to get the best of life in anyway possible.Evryday you hear NID complaining about the state of the nation,yet none is ready to come home and be that tonic for change, while NIN are in the crux of the mata but too cowardly to do anything about it. The simple fact is he would rather want to suffer and smile, because God dey one day the story go better. Until we get to that point when we are ready to give our lives for what we believe, then we should all shut the hell up.Am not a fan of history, but no great country is where it is by just sitting down and frying akara, there are men and woman of courage who go out there to action their beliefs. WHAT DO U BELIEVE?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Angry Pained Criminals (A.P.C): Why Are They Angry? (must Read) / Buhari On Rescue Mission To Save Nigeria –  Yakubu Dogara / I’m Not On Any Travel Ban List - Ekweremadu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.