Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,426 members, 7,812,254 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:46 AM

Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year - Sports (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year (47731 Views)

Lewandowski Beats Messi, Jorginho To 2021 Golden Player Award / Ronaldo Beats Messi In Shirt-Sales As His No 7 Brings In £187 Million In A Week / Ronaldo Is Highest Earner On Instagram, Beats Messi, Beckham, Ibrahimovic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Elxandre(m): 9:41pm On Aug 29, 2019
oghenerobo91:
Am I the only who feels Messi is not been treated fairly?
This guy won the domestic league, was top scorer in the whole Europe. In fact, Barcelona was nothing without him. VVD was outstanding too but I don't think he deserved it
Defenders don't deserve accolades for doing their jobs?
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 29, 2019
lexy2014:

D awards is christened UEFA men's player of d year. How is it that he is good enough 4d award& how are messi and Ronaldo more deserving

Look at their individual contributions. I don't know about Ronaldo, but Messi was outstanding during the UEFA period. Only issue is that he did not win. If not for Dembele's slackness, VVD will not even be nominated.

2 Likes

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by uunwanaobong3: 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2019
Liverpool/REAL MADRID players and over rating are like bread and butter... So because this young man enjoy just one succesful season throughout his career at the age of 28 yrs with just one champions league! So he should be name world and uefa best
What of great defenders like terry? Ferdinand? Vidic? Who were so consistent with highest performance every season! What of maldini? And dani alvez the king who over won trophies with unbelievable performance...... Indeed individual award like fifa and uefa best award has been abused by corruptiön and favouritism.... Van dirk has no business bieng on that list.. He is yet be tasted for consistency and trophies. He is an unproven player compare to other great defensive legends who never won this award (what a one season wonder with one career trophy at the age of 29).
Messi and rönaldo should feel insulted by this insensitive decision. On individual level messi was arguably the best player last season just as ronaldo was a season before last but was denied
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 29, 2019
oloriLFC:
One of many to come. What do you want to say about those who have won it more than once? Peak ko! Hollandia ni! undecided
He will never win it again!! He is just a product of overhype...

The guy that is avoiding dribbling is the best player in a team that produce 2 EPL Golden boots winner with 97 points, an attacking team!!! What figure of speech is that 'Overhype'
He overturned 3 goal deficit something that was actually pulled off by Origi!!! Another Overhype (as if he didn't play when they conceded 3 away, almost 4 but for Allison save of Dembele one on one ball).

He won the Super Cup, a trophy won by Mane brace and Adrian penalty shoot-out save!!!
Another Overhype!!!!

He is the best as a defender!!! Definitely, yes

But as an overall best player, especially against a 50goals+, 20assist+ a season kinda player, that is a complete overhype...

He will never get better than this!!
Salah own last season(trophyless Salah even make top 3 Ballon d'or, nice overhype), VVD own this season of overhype!
All I see is another Modric!! !

On the other hand, Salah is good but VVD is not that good.. Goals win games not avoidance of dribbling!!!
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by limitless777(m): 9:47pm On Aug 29, 2019
MadCow1:
Last Season, VVD was the most expensive defender in the league.. He won the UEFA Champions League, came second in the Premier League, came second in the UEFA Nations League, won the UEFA defender of the year, UEFA player of the year and Premier league player of the year..

Harry Maguire costs more than VVD.. So United will win the Premier League, Champions League, UEFA Nations League and All the player of the year trophy.

Thanks

U were saying....

1 Share

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Evangkatsoulis: 9:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
maxwell530:
bro don't be misinformed, Ronaldo is not the first player playing in England to win Balon Dor.... Infact the first player to win that award was an English player playing for Blackpool,his name is Stanley Matthews. And 5 different players have since won that award before Ronaldo won in 08. Ronaldo balon Dor is a product of media hype by his fans.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballon_d%27Or

By world best he meant FIFA world player of the year. balloon d or was European best award before merged with fifa in 2010
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by teewhydope(m): 9:54pm On Aug 29, 2019
uunwanaobong3:
Liverpool/REAL MADRID players and over rating are like bread and butter... So because this young man enjoy just one succesful season throughout his career at the age of 28 yrs with just one champions league! So he should be name world and uefa best
What of great defenders like terry? Ferdinand? Vidic? Who were so consistent with highest performance every season! What of maldini? And dani alvez the king who over won trophies with unbelievable performance...... Indeed individual award like fifa and uefa best award has been abused by corruptiön and favouritism.... Van dirk has no business bieng on that list.. He is yet be tasted for consistency and trophies. He is an unproven player compare to other great defensive legends who never won this award (what a one season wonder with one career trophy at the age of 29).
Messi and rönaldo should feel insulted by this insensitive decision. On individual level messi was arguably the best player last season just as ronaldo was a season before last but was denied

the award is given to the best player of that year and not to the best player of the last 10 years or the most consistent player.

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:00pm On Aug 29, 2019
Elxandre:

Defenders don't deserve accolades for doing their jobs?
They do but not when someone else was more outstanding.
Cannavaro won it because zidane headbutted matarazzi
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 29, 2019
[quote author=Dizzyrascal post=81735695] champions league and UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE made the decision easy.... anybody who is not satisfied should remember Luca Modric last year...by the way, the La Liga is just one freaking league, for those mentioning it...Thanks[/quote
VVD didn't win nations league. Messi was top scorer in ucl, top scorer laliga, top scorer Europe.
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by lexy2014: 10:06pm On Aug 29, 2019
DanXplore:

Look at their individual contributions. I don't know about Ronaldo, but Messi was outstanding during the UEFA period. Only issue is that he did not win. If not for Dembele's slackness, VVD will not even be nominated.

Earlier u said "deep down VVD's heart, he knows Messi and Ronaldo are far better than him." And now u are saying

DanXplore:

Look at their individual contributions. I don't know about Ronaldo

Which one we go follow oga?

In terms of d "individual contributions", kindly elucidate.

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by opeaskey(m): 10:13pm On Aug 29, 2019
well deserved.But that doesn't change the fact that he's an Average player.Matip does the markings while does only the loose ball clearing resulting from the markings.Please watch his games closely.He's overrated.#mycandidopinion
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:15pm On Aug 29, 2019
MT:
British media won the award for him. The hype was too much. This award is meant to be for indvidual brilliance, Messi should have it in a very fair world. He breaks barrier with such a breezing ease.
British media won it for modric too last season oponu...

2 Likes

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Starz825(m): 10:16pm On Aug 29, 2019
Dizzyrascal:
wow, congrats to Virgil Van Dijk. The facts, quote me, always speak for themselves. The reason why Liverpool is soooo confident going forward is because we have Van Dijk at the back.... Quote me if you agree...
So when Van Dijk doesn't play.... Liverpool will confidently go backwards..... undecided
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2019
maxwell530:
bro don't be misinformed, Ronaldo is not the first player playing in England to win Balon Dor.... Infact the first player to win that award was an English player playing for Blackpool,his name is Stanley Matthews. And 5 different players have since won that award before Ronaldo won in 08. Ronaldo balon Dor is a product of media hype by his fans.

FIFA award uncore which differs from world best...
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by uunwanaobong3: 10:17pm On Aug 29, 2019
Dizzyrascal:
champions league and UEFA NATIONS LEAGUE made the decision easy.... anybody who is not satisfied should remember Luca Modric last year...by the way, the La Liga is just one freaking league, for those mentioning it...Thanks

Did van dirk won uefa nation league?

His only trophy was a champions league

Infact the best player on that nation league who also won 5 trophies (bernado silva) was not even among the top 10 players

I can't just imagine what would happen if liverpool win the the numbers of trophies mancity won in the last two season.
Overhyping is not good.

Just Look at modric does he resemble an immediate past world best? Infact he was one of the worst player in madrid last season... Imagine coutiou in madrid world best keeper? Laugable and now van dirk ..... Fifa and uefa dey decieve themself.
Just imagine harry kane in fifa top 10 list ahead of benado silva, debruyne, aguero and stirling.
Van dirk, one season wonder with one trophy at the age of 29 yr
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by opeaskey(m): 10:18pm On Aug 29, 2019
Starz825:

So when Van Dijk doesn't play.... Liverpool will confidently go backwards..... undecided
well deserved.But that doesn't change the fact that he's an Average player.Matip does the markings while Van Dijk does only the loose ball clearances resulting from the markings.Please watch his games closely.He's overrated.#mycandidopinion
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:21pm On Aug 29, 2019
eni4real:
This is not a transfer hype..

This is an award hype... To say that Harry Kane is among the top 10 best player in the World is a complete overhype!!!

To say that a player that was avoiding dribbling is the best player in a team that has 97 points(an attacking team that produce 2 Golden boots winners) is a form of hype..
It become an overhype when they say he overturned a deficit that was actually pulled off by Origi, or that he won the Super Cup, something that Mane and Adrian obviously did!!! !

Who will pay to watch a player not being dribbled,, games are won by goals!!!

If he defend well, yes he worth the best defender award...

But to be the best player in athr whole Europe against a 50+ goals, 20+ Assists kinda player, you have to be the one calling shot not Origi!!!
Puyol score the only goal that make Spain defeat Germany in the semi final of the World cup, so I know what I mean!!!
go sleep for over ten years Messi Ronaldo dominanted this awards there was English media no one cried... stop polutting nairaland with rubbish...

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:24pm On Aug 29, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
go sleep for over ten years Messi Ronaldo dominanted this awards there was English media no one cried... stop polutting nairaland with rubbish...
According to UEFA, VVD is far better than Ronaldo+Mane+Salah combined in 2019!!!
This is not even close, 300+ points!!!!

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by uunwanaobong3: 10:27pm On Aug 29, 2019
teewhydope:

the award is given to the best player of that year and not to the best player of the last 10 years or the most consistent player.

With your whole conscience and sincerity of mind was he the best player last year ahead of messi with over 60 goals and over 26 assist and golden boot on both la liga and champions league?

With all honesty do u think that van dirk would have made this list on individual performance talk more of winning it Had it not been for liverpool champion league triumph
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:27pm On Aug 29, 2019
eni4real:
According to UEFA, VVD is far better than Ronaldo+Mane+Salah combined in 2019!!!
This is not even close, 300+ points!!!!
so why are folks crying up and down... sometimes dictatorship is good to enforce some just things as democracy encourages emotional rubbish
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by DimIsaac10(m): 10:29pm On Aug 29, 2019
oghenerobo91:
Am I the only who feels Messi is not been treated fairly?
This guy won the domestic league, was top scorer in the whole Europe. In fact, Barcelona was nothing without him. VVD was outstanding too but I don't think he deserved it
In UEFA only nah.
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:30pm On Aug 29, 2019
DimIsaac10:
In UEFA only nah.
What about the league? VVD was outstanding in UEFA CL and UEFA nations league
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:32pm On Aug 29, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
so why are folks crying up and down... sometimes dictatorship is good to enforce some just things as democracy encourages emotional rubbish
You are not making any sense!!! VVD is a product of overhype!!!
There is no way he was better than Ronaldo+Mane+Salah combined!!!

He would end the season trophyless without Origi. Pathetic poll!!!
I hope you can understand now, Mr cry detector!!!
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by oloriLFC(f): 10:34pm On Aug 29, 2019
eni4real:
He will never win it again!! He is just a product of overhype...

The guy that is avoiding dribbling is the best player in a team that produce 2 EPL Golden boots winner with 97 points, an attacking team!!! What figure of speech is that 'Overhype'
He overturned 3 goal deficit something that was actually pulled off by Origi!!! Another Overhype (as if he didn't play when they conceded 3 away, almost 4 but for Allison save of Dembele one on one ball).

He won the Super Cup, a trophy won by Mane brace and Adrian penalty shoot-out save!!!
Another Overhype!!!!

He is the best as a defender!!! Definitely, yes

But as an overall best player, especially against a 50goals+, 20assist+ a season kinda player, that is a complete overhype...

He will never get better than this!!
Salah own last season(trophyless Salah even make top 3 Ballon d'or, nice overhype), VVD own this season of overhype!
All I see is another Modric!! !

On the other hand, Salah is good but VVD is not that good.. Goals win games not avoidance of dribbling!!!
Don't kill yourself over Vvd matter o. I have said my own

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 29, 2019
lexy2014:

Earlier u said "deep down VVD's heart, he knows Messi and Ronaldo are far better than him." And now u are saying

Which one we go follow oga?

In terms of d "individual contributions", kindly elucidate.

Don't quote only a part of the quote to suit yourself. This was the full quote for contextual understanding,

The bolded meant I am dissociating myself from agreeing that Ronaldo was "outstanding" unlike Messi. That Ronaldo wasn't outstanding does not mean he was not better than VVD from my point of view., neither am I suggesting that VVD is better than Ronaldo.

Messi is in a class apart from his contemporaries.

2 Likes

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by OGHENAOGIE(m): 10:35pm On Aug 29, 2019
eni4real:
You are not making any sense!!! VVD is a product of overhype!!!
There is no way he was better than Ronaldo+Mane+Salah combined!!!

He would end the season trophyless without Origi. Pathetic poll!!!
I hope you can understand now, Mr cry detector!!!
let Messi play alone without other players whether he ll win a spoon rubbish... who hype both Messi Ronaldo when they dominated for ten years...

1 Like

Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Drekaz(m): 10:42pm On Aug 29, 2019
dmltoyin:
Lionel has just been robbed

And you never call SARS and EFCC?
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Bessi: 10:44pm On Aug 29, 2019
Neimarjnr:
Van Dijk wan destroy Ronaldo record
Chaii second player to win World Best (England)
Man United fans go cry taya
Is the second not different from the 1st abi wat is der to cry about
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Drekaz(m): 10:45pm On Aug 29, 2019
Neimarjnr:

I know

He is going to win the world best

Tell them cos they don't know war is going on...eventuarry!
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Equity15(m): 10:49pm On Aug 29, 2019
maxwell530:

all the barca fans Sef...the nigga you quoted didn't say balon d'or...he said fifa world best!!!!! even Michael own won balon d'or if I'm not wrong...
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Nobody: 10:50pm On Aug 29, 2019
OGHENAOGIE:
let Messi play alone without other players whether he ll win a spoon rubbish... who hype both Messi Ronaldo when they dominated for ten years...
51 goals in 50 games.. That is a goal in every game... What else so you want him to do

All the mediocres in Barcelona team should be weeded off of they want to win the treble again!!!

Messi will always be inhibited by weak teamwork!!! More core to the midfield and Defence... Even Griezmann and Neymar will not change anything!!!

Individually, Messi is the best but according to UEFA, VVD is better than Messi+ CR7 combined in 2019!!!

Someone that would end the season trophyless without Origi!!! VVD qualify to be the Liverpool GOAT now!!!

600+ career goals is not a product of overhype, it is a product of hardwork and excellence!!!
Re: Van Dijk Beats Messi & CR7 To UEFA Men's Player Of The Year by Equity15(m): 10:51pm On Aug 29, 2019
eni4real:
You fail to mention the man that make it possible for VVD today, Origi shocked shocked
funny enough, I saw this comment without checking the moniker and I immediately knew it was you

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

England Vs Denmark: EURO 2020 Semi-Finals 2 - 1 (Live) / Efe Ajagba Knocks Nigel Paul Out In Round One in 23 Seconds At RIO Olympics / 10 Football Players With The Most Trophies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.