Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,583 members, 7,812,909 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:03 PM

Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (21133 Views)

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? / Africans With Foreign Names / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by donor: 11:30am On Oct 27, 2010
if foreign names are not relevant in your domain, u can as well settle 4 your mother-tongue in schools and in corporate environment.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by yemorazy: 11:39am On Oct 27, 2010
na wa o, who know wan get english name, as for me, my own na wilshere ooo, lol
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by bisiaet: 11:48am On Oct 27, 2010
I have long be waiting for a thread like this God bless this poster. It is so pathetic seen this happening.

Has any one in the house ever see a Chiness nan name his son John, Maxwee, or Henry?

Has any one in the house ever see any white man living in Nigeria or any part of African name his son UZo, Olu, Chukwudi or Tayo no matter how long he is been living in Nigeria?

This was how Africa lost all I mean all, culture gone to the wind, language zero, names dissappeared, dignity melt out and so on. A German friend I visited in Germany a few years ago was shocked when I showed him bible writen in Igbo and Yoruba Language he was shocked to his skull "he said I have be a lawyer for years and travelled far and wide he never belief or know African do have alphabets" the next thing he said was "OH AFRICA IS DOOMED!!. He said do I see any part of Europe I see that speak borrowed language? I said No and when you look at it their is no single European country that speak borrowed language all speaks their own language as official language anybody can aheck this out but here especially in Nigeria all you will hear is "oh he does not know how to speak good English, "oh her English is poor and so on and up till now some still bent on to go ahead and even vow not to call any of their children Africa name some are even ashame to mention their family name or even speak their dialects because they want to impress and show off a showoff of shame. so shameful indeed.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by teeboyseve(m): 11:52am On Oct 27, 2010
Exactly the same have been thinking, I meet a Nigerian brother in Birmingham and his name was Barry Johnson. I knew that wasn't his real name, probably a stolen identity or his real name is toooooooo long. Mine is Tobi but my English friends spells it in a wrong way (TOBY).

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Purist(m): 12:06pm On Oct 27, 2010
bisiaet:

Has any one in the house ever see a Chiness nan name his son John, Maxwee, or Henry?

Not those names exactly, but quite many of them bear English names.  Let's even start with the popular guys.  Jackie Chan, Jet Li, Michelle Yeoh, Lucy Lui, Donny Yen, etc.  I even got one in my class.  Her name is Crystal.

What's your point?
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by seedord247(m): 12:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
Did you like someone calling you this name?

Sangosegun,

Ifakemi,

Okija chukwu

and also remember that we're still a developing country.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by peeze: 12:42pm On Oct 27, 2010
been in America does not mean that u should forget your home you can name your child a foreign name and also a traditional name
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by MRD1(m): 12:45pm On Oct 27, 2010
@OP and even some of the ones with African names are ashamed of it , especially the ladies, oh am Jennifer,Sandra,Cynthia, angry
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by HERO111: 12:52pm On Oct 27, 2010
Poster,
I think the most important thing is the meaning of a name than its origin.
my 2 pence wink
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by eldee(m): 1:02pm On Oct 27, 2010
Same reason British people have Jewish and Latin names . . . RELIGION!!!

If the Prime Minister of the UK is called David, then there's nothing wrong with our President being called Goodluck.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by oludashmi(f): 1:08pm On Oct 27, 2010
seedord247:

Did you like someone calling you this name?

Sangosegun,

Ifakemi,

Okija chukwu

and also remember that we're still a developing country.
You are sooo sounding daft . . .are those the names you here on the street especially at the age or you just feel like saying rubbish? What about chioma, Uzo, Ololade, Bukola, Tunde etc. If we are a developing nation, does that change your nationality? or does that remove your origin from Africa or Nig? angry angry

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by coshman: 1:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
Interesting topic, I guess Boko Haram members must be having a big laugh now.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by excanny: 1:38pm On Oct 27, 2010
I'll like to suggest that if we even want to use some of these foreign names, we can localize them to spell like our native languages.

For example, i've seen some Igbo people Igbonize
a biblical greek name like 'Peter' into 'Pita'.

There's a Yoruba movie titled 'Jenifa', which i think is probably a Yorubanized form for
the Welsh name 'Jennifer'.

If we can localize some of these foreign names into our own forms like the English do, it might still be fine.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by skfa1: 1:40pm On Oct 27, 2010
My Full name is Rashdimu Buraimo Taofiki

Thats so sweet cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Gemma11: 1:40pm On Oct 27, 2010
I have come across a Chinese lady called Anne
An Asian guy called John just to name a few.

I feel people should be able to name their kids what they want. There are plenty of beautiful names out there whether they be African, European or Asian.
My first name is Jewish, straight from the Bible and I love it as it defines me and I wouldn't change it for the world.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by seedord247(m): 1:45pm On Oct 27, 2010
oludashmi:

You are sooo sounding daft . . .are those the names you here on the street especially at the age or you just feel like saying rubbish? What about chioma, Uzo, Ololade, Bukola, Tunde etc. If we are a developing nation, does that change your nationality? or does that remove your origin from Africa or Nig? angry angry

I never see a sounding stupid Idiot like you, are we the only one that are bearing their names in this lovely world, most of all this names are originated from the bible and the Quran, more also this people are the one that colonized us and if not for this people do you know that  you will still be putting on animal skin to cover your body rather than putting on that your dirty stinky G string. grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by semid4lyfe(m): 1:59pm On Oct 27, 2010
Heheehee. . . .nice thread!

My English name is actually my first name and my Native name is my middle name.

When I got to SS 2, I flipped them around and started writing my Native name as my first name and my English name as my middle name.

Funnily enough, this annoyed my Dad so much that he gave me a hard time on this little issue. He was always like "why do you like writing your names in this way?" Don't you know your names on your documents have to be consistent? You can't have your names appear one way on your birth certificate, primary schl certificate etc and then have them appear one way in your S.S.C.E, Uni, NYSC etc certificates. Do you think James Babatunde Obasanjo and Babatunde James Obasanjo (not real names o) are the same people?. . .what if you're applying for a visa or sumtin' from all those foreign embassies where they really pay attention to details? Don't you know they'd raise questions about the inconsistency and may deny you a visa cos of this? and so on and so forth. Guys, nor be small gbege the thing dey cause between me and my Paale o grin grin 

I'll just be like daddy, cool down. . .all the names are mine. Besides it's not as if I've dropped the English name. . .I haven't! I just made it my middle name, that's all. Daddy. . .I'm an African and a Nigerian, therefore my thinking should be "afrocentric"  and "nigeriacentric" so it makes no sense for me to be called by an English name. If I'm asked questions on my names, I'd simply explain to them and they'd believe me cos it's the truth. Ol' boy. . .nor be small toasting I dey give my paale o grin

Popsie will now simmer down a bit and say "so you think you know more than me your father, abi? Anyway, I have warned you o. . .if u like listen or if you no listen, na your problem be that. You're no more a kid o. . .and after some little banter he'd leave me alone.

LWKMD! grin grin
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by HighChief4(m): 2:06pm On Oct 27, 2010
excanny:

I'll like to suggest that if we even want to use some of these foreign names, we can localize them to spell like our native languages.

There's a Yoruba movie titled 'Jenifa', which i think is probably a Yorubanized form for

If we can localize some of these foreign names into our own forms like the English do, it might still be fine.

Gbam!!!
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by eldee(m): 2:09pm On Oct 27, 2010
excanny:

We already do that . . . Fatima is pronounced Fatimoh, and I can't express the accents in names like Felix and Josephine.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by TinTin18(f): 2:45pm On Oct 27, 2010
This is the same question I ask new generation parents. How many English people bear African names? I have heard of people adopting foreign names simply because their foreign friends can't/couldn't pronounce their names and if you ask me, that's the most stupid thing to do. How many Irish people will adopt Yoruba or bini names simply because their Ibo friends cant pronounce their names? Do you expect someone that bear Eoghan to change his name to Kola

I bear a very powerful bini name which i write boldly in all my official documents but to make life easy for my foreign friends, I have shortened it as opposed to taking up an English name.

And those who claim their English names are christian names, what happened to Osaigbovo, Oreofeoluwa, Chukwuma, etc? aren't those christian names to?

Thank God my folks didn't give me an English name to say the least.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by TinTin18(f): 2:55pm On Oct 27, 2010
W
Gemma11:

I have come across a Chinese lady called Anne
An Asian guy called John just to name a few.

I feel people should be able to name their kids what they want. There are plenty of beautiful names out there whether they be African, European or Asian.
My first name is Jewish, straight from the Bible and I love it as it defines me and I wouldn't change it for the world.

Would you have been able to pronounce Xi or Qui? That aside, have you ever bothered to ask them if thats the name on their birth certificates? Trust me, the answer will be NO! There were some in my class at uni that had english names but whenever an attendance list was passed, Anne will write her name down as Xi Quang. why
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Gamine(f): 3:15pm On Oct 27, 2010
LOL!

Reminds me of what Fela Kuti said,
He died because when he was born the first time, he was given a name ''Hildegart'
he was like WTF!! and died. He came back and was given FELA.

He also changed his surname 'cause it made no sense.
I wonder why people fall over themselves to acquire these names that have no meaning.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Gemma11: 3:20pm On Oct 27, 2010
TinTin18:

W
Would you have been able to pronounce Xi or Qui? That aside, have you ever bothered to ask them if thats the name on their birth certificates? Trust me, the answer will be NO! There were some in my class at uni that had english names but whenever an attendance list was passed, Anne will write her name down as Xi Quang. why

As a matter of fact those are the names on their birth certificates. I know because I work in HR and have access to view personal information such as their birth certificates etc. They may be Chinese or Asian but they were born and bred in Liverpool and Leicester respectfully. I hope you are not so naive as to think that all Chinese people have Chinese names and the same for Asian people, please tell me you don't believe this.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Gemma11: 3:22pm On Oct 27, 2010
Gamine:

LOL!

Reminds me of what Fela Kuti said,
He died because when he was born the first time, he was given a name ''Hildegart'
he was like WTF!! and died. He came back and was given FELA.

He also changed his surname 'cause it made no sense.
I wander why people fall over themselves to acquire these names that have no meaning.

Some people are actually given these names at birth and all names mean something.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Gamine(f): 3:31pm On Oct 27, 2010
Gemma11:

Some people are actually given these names at birth and all names mean something.

Yes. all names mean 'Something'
That's not the issue though.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by eldee(m): 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2010
TinTin18:

And those who claim their English names are christian names, what happened to Osaigbovo, Oreofeoluwa, Chukwuma, etc? aren't those christian names to?

Thank God my folks didn't give me an English name to say the least.

When you're religious and you name your child in honour of a Biblical figure, it's not because you hate being African.
It's not a problem anywhere else in the world . . . dunno why y'all are making it a big issue. Half the names English people use aren't English.

My Chinese friends have English names but their Chineseness is the strongest part of their identity.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by oludashmi(f): 4:00pm On Oct 27, 2010
seedord247:

I never see a sounding silly like you, are we the only one that are bearing their names in this lovely world, most of all this names are originated from the bible and the Quran, more also this people are the one that colonized us and if not for this people do you know that  you will still be putting on animal skin to cover your body rather than putting on that your dirty stinky G string. grin grin grin grin grin grin
See hw small your brain is, cos they colonised you now mean you should sell your nationality to them or stop eating your local foods and eat burger and chocolates morning, afternoon and night . . .point of correction, they didnt bring us cloth, if they did, we wouldnt have had traditional dresses cos they would have brought us up to wear jeans and suits as our outfits, we were covered b4 their arrival. Dont talk like this again or else you will soon say they taught us our languages, UNDERSTOOD?

They came and took away our fore-fathers for slavery and our cultural heritages. There arrival exposed us to robbery, fornication, we had no thieves and used to trade our goods by simply putting some stones to identify the cost of the goods and walk away, when you come back, your goods and money would be intact. Let me stop here, You must be a small girl wink I am not condemning them but just correcting your statement b4 you start feeling inferior to them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by timmy2409(m): 4:09pm On Oct 27, 2010
I've come across a few non-Nigerians with Nigerian names before. There was this family I lived close to early this year that gave all their daughters Yoruba names, although the parents are 5th generation Americans. There was also this one Guyanan girl with an Ibo name. She claims her dad's not Nigerian, he just Googles for names for his kids (she's black tho, so I cant tell for sure that that's the truth).
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Mbeki: 4:13pm On Oct 27, 2010
English names was given to our forefathers becos their oppressive masters then couldn't
1. pronounce their native names  
2. Believed their English names are superior to the local names.
3. Sees our forefathers as their pet they can give just any names

No nation or continent will develop when u carry out all your activities on borrowed languages. That's y most African countries are underdeveloped and most Asia countries are rising to developed country level.

We take shameful pride in foreign things to the detriment of ours; especially Nigerians That's y other nations sees us as inferior and looks down on us.

Just Imagine that Physics, Chemistry and other subject are taught in your native language, the level of what your can do will be unimaginable.

The whites has brainwashed us way back, destroyed our history and left us hanging, it's a pity that a lot of people don't understand this, they  still want to be a white man in black skin. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Purist(m): 5:26pm On Oct 27, 2010
Interestingly, not one person on this thread has been able to tell us exactly what is wrong with an African bearing a foreign name.

It is a normal practice everywhere in the world.  People bear all sorts of names - culture and religion especially being the major determinants.   So what exactly is the fuss all about?
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by kabukabu50(m): 6:27pm On Oct 27, 2010
Mbeki:

English names was given to our forefathers becos their oppressive masters then couldn't
1. pronounce their native names
2. Believed their English names are superior to the local names.
3. Sees our forefathers as their pet they can give just any names

No nation or continent will develop when u carry out all your activities on borrowed languages. That's y most African countries are underdeveloped and most Asia countries are rising to developed country level.

We take shameful pride in foreign things to the detriment of ours; especially Nigerians That's y other nations sees us as inferior and looks down on us.

Just Imagine that Physics, Chemistry and other subject are taught in your native language, the level of what your can do will be unimaginable.

The whites has brainwashed us way back, destroyed our history and left us hanging, it's a pity that a lot of people don't understand this, they still want to be a white man in black skin. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE!
Incredibly stupid

Maybe you can build an Igbo made or yoruba made spaceship, grin grin grin grin grin grin

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by tpia5: 6:28pm On Oct 27, 2010
shocked

kabukabu spaceship ke.

anyway!

somebody with courage should enter sha.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn / Oduduwa Isn't The Father Of The 'Yorubas'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.