Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,803 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:33 AM

PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake (21159 Views)

Photos: Killing Of Twins In Fct (Gwagwaladagist.com) / Monarch, Emmanuel Onyeike-Efeizomor, Sleeps With Snake For 5 Days / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by DrTee1(m): 7:25am On May 07, 2013
Can you imagine this scenario? Yes it is real -life!

In 2013, with all the noise about Jesus, Heaven & Christianity?!

War is brewing in a community in Anambra because a Pastor killed a snake in a community where such action is considered sacrilegious!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/pfn-anambra-community-bicker-over-killing-of-snake/

1 Like

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by DrTee1(m): 7:28am On May 07, 2013
AWKA —  MEMBERS of the Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria, PFN, and Umuoji community in Idemili North Local Government Area of Anambra State are on each other’s throat, following the killing of a snake in the community by the Overseer of the Mercy Throne Assembly, Umuoji, Rev Jude Chubueze.

To the community, Chibueze had committed a sacrilege, adding that the killing of snake in the area is a taboo.

The matter is already before the Anambra State Police command which is trying to mediate between the two parties to avoid a breakdown of law and order.

Members of PFN under the aegis of Umuoji Gospel Ministries Fellowship led by Pastor Celestine Ekpunobi, yesterday, described the tradition that forbids the killing of snake as barbaric, adding that such law should only concern the pagans.

Already, the church where the overseer is the pastor had been sealed with palm fronts by the people of the community.

Narrating his version of the incident, Rev Chibueze said a snake stormed his house at night when members of his family were already sleeping. He said the snake was lying where his children were sleeping and when the children started shouting, he ran out with his wife to see what was happening.

He said: “When I got to their room, I saw a big snake lying with them and I had to kill it and threw it into the nearby bush. The following day, some community members marched to my house and accused me of killing their god. They beat me up mercilessly.

“They wrote a list of items amounting to N54,890 which they said I should buy to appease their god.  Being a Christian, I told them that it is against my faith and more over, I killed a snake and not a human being.”

However, Chief Paul Edekobi, one of the community leaders said instead of the pastor doing what he earlier agreed to do with the community by providing the items, he dragged them to Ogidi Police Station where six of the community leaders were arrested.

According to him, what he did was capable of wiping out his entire family if sacrifices were not made to appease the gods.

“We do not want to destroy his property and that is why we used the palm fronts to tie round the church to stop him from worshipping there for now,” Edekobi said.

But the pastor said: “What they are talking about is not tradition; they see the killing of a snake as a taboo in their world of idol worshipping and not same in Christian faith

“If they do not desist from this act, our next port of call will be the court for the enforcement of our fundamental human rights.”
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by ifyalways(f): 8:20am On May 07, 2013
Dr. Tee:
Can you imagine this scenario? Yes it is real -life!

In 2013, with all the noise about Jesus, Heaven & Christianity?!

War is brewing in a community in Anambra because a Pastor killed a snake in a community where such action is considered sacrilegious!

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/pfn-anambra-community-bicker-over-killing-of-snake/
Over zealous religious fanatics.I hope they roast his arse. angry
How would he and his fold react if his bible is pissed on?
Did Jesus convert anyone by shitting on his/her sacred stuff?v

7 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:05am On May 07, 2013
i hope they kill him. if he did such a thing in my neighbourhood, we would have roasted his on a spit. ugly b.astard what did the harmless poisonless snake do to him. why does he have to offend our religion? angry angry angry angry

Also how did the other villagers find out that he killed the snake Either the Gods informed the other villagers that an innocent animal was murdered, or the idi.ot of a pastor went around boasting to the entire village that he murdered the representative of the Serpent spirit, in order to instigate the Pagans of the village.

Idemilli pythons are FAMOUS to be harmless. that snake might have just come to play with the kids. little did the poor creature know that it is entering the house of a savage cruel madman, unlike the other kind neighbours who let it in.

Let us not forget that this savage man is an indigene of the area and that e knows these snakes are harmless to kids. Probably before he converted to man-worship, he too used to play with Eke snakes as a child. angry

I hope he faces the wrath of the forest spirits.

[size=16pt]HAS ANYONE WONDERED WHY IS IT THAT ONLY A "CHRISTIAN PASTOR" IS FOUND KILLING OF SNAKES?!!! BECAUSE HE JUST WANTS TO PROVOKE AND INSULT THE INDIGNES AND THEIR CULTURAL BELIEFS AND RELIGION, JUST LIKE HIS COLONIAL MASTERS![/size]

be good unto animals and they will be good unto you. .

3 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Nobody: 11:39am On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
i hope they kill him. if he did such a thing in my neighbourhood, we would have roasted his on a spit. ugly b.astard what did the snake do to him. why does he have to offend our religion? angry angry angry angry

mr pagan, you speak like a stupid pagan

34 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by stonemind(f): 11:44am On May 07, 2013
mumu people
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by feelme3(m): 11:44am On May 07, 2013
ifyalways: Over zealous religious fanatics.I hope they roast his arse. angry
PAGAN 9JA:
i hope they kill him. if he did such a thing in my neighbourhood, we would have roasted his on a spit. ugly b.astard what did the snake do to him. why does he have to offend our religion? angry angry angry angry
These two comments above are a sure display of barbaric mentality. I won't be surprised they had a hand in the ALUU saga. undecided

11 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Seunolugbala: 11:45am On May 07, 2013
Nawa 4 dis cmunity cos of kilin a snake nw, d whole family wil perished. GOD FORBID DAT UR BAD ND STUPID TRADITION
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Emperoh(m): 11:49am On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

May you see snakes in your respective abodes in the name of whatever you worship.
Now answer AMEN to that! grin

15 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by dj187: 11:49am On May 07, 2013
What the bible said about snake ''And I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her Seed; He shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise His heel (Genesis 3:15)''.....My dear brethren on nairaland suffer not a snake to live less u get bitten

11 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Kunlegzy(m): 11:51am On May 07, 2013
hahhaahh,in this kind of age. na wa oo
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by fingard02k(m): 11:51am On May 07, 2013
Same with our church teacher sometime ago, telling us that he'l make a monkey pepper soup and bring it for us (followers) to eat (knowing fully well that s a taboo to kill a monkey in awka).
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by OkikiOluwa1(m): 11:53am On May 07, 2013
I think Killing of the snake was to save his children. But here's a community that forbids snake killing under any circumstance. I rest my case.
ifyalways:
A good Christian ll not react violently. If anyone like, he/she may take the Bible & use it to wrap akara, no man must bring out a dagger. Get that!

5 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by stebell(m): 11:53am On May 07, 2013
Womders D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ say shall neva end. Like seriously in dis jet world we are where de main tin now is scientific and wat hv yu peeps still talk about idol worshipping in naija. Dat is why some of our local comm still wallow in poverty. I laff in spanish. So if I see a snake near my hoz and I feel like my siblings are endangered I shud do noting but watch. Dat comm needs to be raized down with fire if D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ touch de MOG. Useless community. They continue to remain backward.

2 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Olucheye(m): 11:53am On May 07, 2013
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by lifestyle1(m): 11:54am On May 07, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

What if the snake bite the kids ?

1 Like

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Lilimax(f): 11:55am On May 07, 2013
I come from Anambra state and in Anambra state, they don't kill PYTHON to be precise.
They kill everyother snake except python.
The snake does not bite people. I grew up to meet this tradition but when asked they said it is a
sacrilege to kill python.
Provided it does not bite me, I move on.
Let them perish with their tradition and belief sad sad.

5 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by ibitomisi: 11:55am On May 07, 2013
hey========================================================================================================================================================================================
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Lilimax(f): 11:56am On May 07, 2013
life_style:

What if the snake bite the kids ?
THey kill everyother snake in Anambra state except PYTHON
It does not bite people there.
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by na2day(m): 11:58am On May 07, 2013
Na the pastor, I blame!
Why he no put the dead snake inside pot and cook, make the family take celebrate the deliverance naa grin

7 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Youngk(m): 11:58am On May 07, 2013
"Well, then," Jesus said, "give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar, and give to God what belongs to God." His reply completely amazed them. mark 12:17........am off to school.
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by akigbemaru: 11:58am On May 07, 2013
Did you all see the hypocrisy of the 99 percent Christian igbo people? Serve Jews and Jesus in a broad daylight but serve the talking serpentine when the chips are down at night!

9 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by ebamma(m): 11:59am On May 07, 2013
which mumu be dis, u sure say u don talk your medicine dis morning, and coming from a so called woman, u must be a frustrated type

10 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by yuzedo: 12:00pm On May 07, 2013
Saw the title and assumed it was one of these overzealous, "charging" pastors trying to prove a point to his followers, sorta like what went down in Umuofia (Things Fall Apart), but the way this man put the story, he might be the one wronged, though i don't completely believe his account. This account might just be to garner public sympathy when in reality he might have been boasting and proving strong-head instead of fulfilling traditional rites that predate him.

Certain snakes are not killed because i'm sure preservation was infused in tradition simply to ensure their specie do not go extinct.

If you can't observe a community's laws, move the FUCKKK out. Cos i'm sure if they asked him to pay fine in America, he'll be agile about it. If they brutalized him for securing his family however, then it is most unfortunate.

4 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by ebucha: 12:00pm On May 07, 2013
Give what belongs to caesar to caesar

2 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by chrisxxx(m): 12:00pm On May 07, 2013
I can only support the pastor's action on the assumption that he did not know that killing such snake was a taboo. And the proximity of the snake to his children was a health and safety threat. If that had been done deliberately he has gone contrary to his Bible's and The Bible's teachings.
Did he ever care to ask why Jesus instead of killing the legion of demons hearken to their pleas of being sent to invade the swine?
Did he ever ask why Jesus said Caesar should receive tax?
Did he ever try to know why there was Baal-Jesus even while Jesus was on earth?
Did he ever try to know why God has allowed Satan and his cohorts to exist till this period and still existing?
Let him answer the above questions amongst others.
Don't call me a pagan, I am a Christian just that I understand the Bible better even than some pastors.

2 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by MrResource(m): 12:00pm On May 07, 2013
So what happens to someone who kills a python? Lets assume he's from Anambra but didnt have any knowledge of the Idemili Python lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by ejifranks(m): 12:01pm On May 07, 2013
Lilimax: I come from Anambra state and in Anambra state, they don't kill PYTHON to be precise.
They kill everyother snake except python.
The snake does not bite people. I grew up to meet this tradition but when asked they said it is a
sacriledge to kill python.
I go my way provided it does not bite me.
Let them perish with their tradition and belief sad sad.
same thing applies in my place in Imo state, Orlu axis to be precise... Its a sacrilege.... Such traditions die hard.......

1 Like

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Nobody: 12:01pm On May 07, 2013
It just couldn't have been any snake that made the villagers angry, he must have killed the Idemili python, usually known as Eke Idemili. The snake does not bite neither is it poisonous.

http://idemili.org/news-report.html

3 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Gboliwe: 12:01pm On May 07, 2013
The Rev. acted on impulse. He is actually a strong man to have been able to kill a snake by himself. I mean, compared to me, I would have screamed to high heavens.
Any way, the villagers should let their god fight for itself.:
@Ifyalways: shocked

8 Likes

Re: PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake by Ayoakinkahunsi(m): 12:02pm On May 07, 2013
Funny die
What is their gods doing in a christian house?
May God deliver the pastor and his family

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

5 Foreign Countries That Speaks YORUBA, No. 3 Use It As Official Language / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn / Oro Day: Movement Of Women Restricted In Ikorodu On May 8th 2018

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.