Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,246 members, 7,829,453 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 07:15 AM

Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? (21169 Views)

Which Tribe Bears Foreign Names The Most? / Africans With Foreign Names / Why Do Africans Look At Black Americans As A Source Of Shame? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by EEngineer1(m): 11:14am On Mar 02, 2012
why do we shorten our names to accomodate faulty european pronounciation of the names when the europeans dont bother shorting their MCkinssey, mclough, mcpherson type of name
and nobody should give me the excuse that their names are easily pronouncable than ours because we learnt their language
the simple reason is that our culture has been swallowed the same way a shark eats a fish and has the basic components of that fish embedded in it but u cant say the same for the fish
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Afam4eva(m): 11:28am On Mar 02, 2012
Well said.

What exactly is the National Orientation Agency doing to get rid of the slave mentality that's evident in Nigerians.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by ebere1712: 12:29am On Apr 01, 2012
The way I see it, African names are part of the African heritage and identity. Every name tells a story. You can easily deduce a people's philosophy from the kind of names they bear. What philosophy does this European name change say about our generation, It tells a story of the invasion of our physical, cultural, and spiritual space by the Europeans. Let us put an end to this bleak history of ours, so that our names and culture would speak of a generation that resurrected a civilisation that was thought destroyed, improved it, and made it (once again) into the envy of the world. Be proud of your roots y'all. Schools should teach with the local languages of the students, African arts, and technology should be resurrected and modernized.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by igbo2011(m): 9:05am On Apr 19, 2012
THis si a great thread. I was thinking the same thing. Those religons aren't working for us. We need to go back to our regular name not invaders names. I am naming my child an Igbo, King/Queen, and an Ancient egyptian name. SO my daughter will be Nneka Nzinga Hatshepstut and my son will be Chinedu Mansa Taharqz

I am very Afrocentric and I am a pan-africanist.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by anonymous6(f): 7:55pm On Apr 26, 2012
ebere1712: It looks very bad to me when I see all or most Africans with English or foreign names but you never see others with African names. Are we being stupid or can someone explain to me why it is necessary for an African person to immediately be given a foreign name. Can someone explain to me why a person from Nigeria, for example would be named edwin clark, john coles, goodluck johnathan, abdudalem abubaka? This is ridiculous. When wud my african peepz wake up . Have a good day yall

when it comes last names well that is inevitable because of colonization but majority of Africans for the most part have African last names, when it comes to first and middle names I don't get it. I have seen foolish Nigerians that do that nonsense whether changing their name to be more Americanized or calling their children foreign names, ridiculous. As for me my name is full Nigerian(Yoruba) and when I have kids it will be Nigerian(Yoruba)
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by deloon(m): 9:22pm On Apr 27, 2012
What in the world is wrong with some people? angry Bear whatever you like!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Fulaman198(m): 8:17pm On May 05, 2012
Well Some Fulani names are used in Nigeria, others are indeed Arabized. Names like Gajo, Sajo, Babajo, etc. are native Fulani names. Too bad we don't have the same Fulani names as in Senegal, Gambia, Mali, etc. like Bah/Ba, Diallo/Jallow/Jalloh/Jallo, Geladio/Gelajo, Gaajo = Gajo, Seck, Maal, etc. etc.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by chiama1: 2:23pm On Aug 28, 2012
shocked I just saw a guy's C.V, he bears "CONCERN SALISU"
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:52pm On Aug 28, 2012
Fulaman198: Well Some Fulani names are used in Nigeria, others are indeed Arabized. Names like Gajo, Sajo, Babajo, etc. are native Fulani names. Too bad we don't have the same Fulani names as in Senegal, Gambia, Mali, etc. like Bah/Ba, Diallo/Jallow/Jalloh/Jallo, Geladio/Gelajo, Gaajo = Gajo, Seck, Maal, etc. etc.

i know a Seck cool
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 10:29pm On Aug 28, 2012
U mean our christian names??!! undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:12am On Aug 29, 2012
Shollypopz: U mean our christian names??!! undecided

christian/foreign same sh!tz undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 9:28am On Aug 29, 2012
PAGAN 9JA:

christian/foreign same sh!tz undecided
Na question i ask naw...why body dey "pepper" u?? angry angry

U never chop??.....
Plenty foreign names dey, was tryna narrow d search, HABA!
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 12:29am On Sep 20, 2012
u r talkingabout firstname right? cause if you are talking about last name thats a plain lie ...by the way do you have some stats? undecided
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 23, 2012
ebere1712: It looks very bad to me when I see all or most Africans with English or foreign names but you never see others with African names. Are we being stupid or can someone explain to me why it is necessary for an African person to immediately be given a foreign name. Can someone explain to me why a person from Nigeria, for example would be named edwin clark, john coles, goodluck johnathan, abdudalem abubaka? This is ridiculous. When wud my african peepz wake up . Have a good day yall

because it is hard for westerners to pronounce their names. grin
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
igbo2011: THis si a great thread. I was thinking the same thing. Those religons aren't working for us. We need to go back to our regular name not invaders names. I am naming my child an Igbo, King/Queen, and an Ancient egyptian name. SO my daughter will be Nneka Nzinga Hatshepstut and my son will be Chinedu Mansa Taharqz

I am very Afrocentric and I am a pan-africanist.

well honestly my kids i want my kids to have african names, middle at least.
it depends on their father though. if my future kids' father belongs to
an African culture then that would be cool.

but to keep it realistic a full african name, tho not uncommon in the workforce and or universities, can forsake their future/chances due to discrimination.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by MrsChima1(f): 4:09pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

because it is hard for westerners to pronounce their names. grin

Actually there are some names that are African easy to pronounce just have to listen to how they pronounce their names. Some people are too lazy to learn about the person whom they are conversing with and when I meet a foreigner...I always try to imitate their accent while sayng their names. They always laughing....saying you are verily good. grin grin

Believe it or not...when I listen to people talk for a minute... I can imitate them well. My brother in-law travels to UK for business from USA and he have adopted the accent and when I first met him I spoke just like a Brit..he was confused...he was like I thought you were a Yankee and I laughed...and I imitated his accent and he was like oh my goodness!

He is in California with a Brit accent...you know how those people in Compton gon treat him! grin grin grin grin No offense to the Brits but men with Brit accent sounds like battyboys!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 23, 2012
Mrs..Chima:

Actually there are some names that are African easy to pronounce just have to listen to how they pronounce their names. Some people are too lazy to learn about the person whom they are conversing with and when I meet a foreigner...I always try to imitate their accent while sayng their names. They always laughing....saying you are verily good. grin grin

its not just africans who go through the name change, so do asians.
i too make an effort to learn however you know as an american, our country isn't the most tolerant.

for example, in the second grade my best friend was a FOB Taiwanese girl with the name "Sharon". lipsrsealed grin

That wasn't her real name however she like most of the immigrant children were all given "western first names" to enroll in school and make the assimilation process easier.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by igbo2011(m): 4:14pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

well honestly my kids i want my kids to have african names, middle at least.
it depends on their father though. if my future kids' father belongs to
an African culture then that would be cool.

but to keep it realistic a full african name, tho not uncommon in the workforce and or universities, can forsake their future/chances due to discrimination.

Do you live outside of Africa? If so you may be right. I live outside of Africaa but I plan to return very soon. But I haave friends with African names who get great jobs and I have African friends with Euroopean names who find it hard to get a job. Also try and encourage your kids to creaate jobs with entreprunership instead of working for others all the time.
Re: Why Do Africans Have Foreign Names? by MrsChima1(f): 4:14pm On Sep 23, 2012
*Kails*:

its not just africans who go through the name change, so do asians.
i too make an effort to learn however you know as an american, our country isn't the most tolerant.

for example, in the second grade my best friend was a FOB Taiwanese girl with the name "Sharon". lipsrsealed grin

That wasn't her real name however she like most of the immigrant children were all given "western first names" to enroll in school and make the assimilation process easier.

Read the above post again. grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Can A Nigerian Man Be Happy With An English Wife? / PFN, Anambra Community Bicker Over Killing Of Snake / The Hardest of the 3 Major Language to Learn

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.