Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,428 members, 7,830,151 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 04:59 PM

Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans - Travel (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans (48954 Views)

3 Americans Dead, As Plane Crashes Into House In Ukraine (Pix, Video) / COVID-19: No Entry For Nigerians, Americans Into Europe / Derailer Thread: Meeting Point For Nigerians/Africans In Scandanavia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 2:39pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Smh dedecutibles you said on income tax You get nothing back bro

Tax relief could be from CGT or Entreprenuer Relief

There are no reliefs from income tax in the UK
You dont have a choice when it comes to paying your tax in the UK

You dont want good road again ni

And did you just say you earn after tax £6000 in the UK

Kai oga oooo Even the Prime Minister in the Uk does not earn £6,000 after tax

That dude doesnt live in the UK. He is among the lazy Nigerian youth we are trying to educate. They waste years waiting for a lost uncle to come take them abroad. Time that would have been spent doing something meaningful. On every street in Nigeria people are building duplexes with a value over 35 million naira, paying 300k per term for their kids.. money is exchanging hands for those actively engaged. Ugosample comes from a lost generation of "negative thinkers association of Nigeria". At 45yrs he is still waiting for his uncle to take him to America to work like a dog

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by adonainana: 2:40pm On Sep 01, 2019
HBB1:

50 to 150k is 40 percent, above is 45%

And even at that someone in the 50 thousands range stills earns over 3k pounds a month.

Your calculation is flawed!

The calculation doesnt matter now tbh, i have made my point your £100,000 friend is classified as rich in the uk BUT will be shocked when she gets to Lagos Island and see big boys there

I have made my points, I rest my case

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 2:42pm On Sep 01, 2019
KingAzubuike:

I don't think otedola was ever a dollar billionaire grin he was always hanging between $700M - $900M. Same with Tony elumelu and co.. I think the only dollar billionaire we've had in the last decade is dangote. I might be wrong tho
mike adenuga is a dollar billionaire and alakija

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Ugosample(m): 2:43pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Yes please leave we dont even want you here

Even the nairaland owner charges up to 500,000 naira for adverts on his homepage.
Pls go on nairaland homepage and see how many banners you see there

Very soon if i tell you that young man is making nothing less than 5 million naira per month. you will say i am lying

Pls go to your south america or go to your imaginary job in the UK

I dont think we needd you here
lol

I'm a "part time resident" of Nigeria lol

you wan pursue me?
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 2:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

The calculation doesnt matter now tbh, i have made my point your £100,000 friend is classified as rich in the uk BUT will be shocked when she gets to Lagos Island and see big boys there

I have made my points, I rest my case

Hahahaha!

She doesn't consider herself rich. When presidents of banks are on 3 million pound salaries!

There are big boys everywhere, even in England!

Ogneni, I called you out on your flawed tax calculation, get your facts right.

It's a shame you lived there so long and don't know what's going on! Sorry o.
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 2:46pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:
I lived in the UK for 10 years, I agree i think only when you think carefully and deeply would you appreciate some countries and some ways of life. Here in the UK, I found out that there are only 2 achievements the average man can achieve. The first is getting a Mortgage and the second is passing your driving test .

I couldnt tell how many of my friends celebrated these two major achievements year in year out

People of God, how is borrowing £300,000 (150 million naira) from a bank and paying it monthly back over 30 years an achievement ni tori olorun. How is that an achievement ?

How is passing your driving test where you will end up taking more of your disposable income an achievement for Heaven sake.

After 11 years in the Uk, i decided it was time to call it quit.

Some people will simply pay bills and die in the west and will even be owing funeral tax by the time there reletives want to bury.

The good roads, schools, water etc is an illusion, there are good schools everywhere on the planet. There are equally good roads everywhere on the planet

The Uk an US are extremely useless countries to be in sometimes

This is my opinon sha
speak on it

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by adonainana: 2:46pm On Sep 01, 2019
HBB1:

Hahahaha!

She doesn't consider herself rich. When presidents of banks are on 3 million pound salaries!

There are big boys everywhere, even in England!

Ogneni, I called you out on your flawed tax calculation, get your tax rights

Oga fear God ooo now we have moved on to president of the Central Bank of England

Kai, very soon you will say you are the President of the Bank of England and your salary is this that

Then property valued in billions in Banana island you wont be able to afford still

Inside life

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Ugosample(m): 2:47pm On Sep 01, 2019
timesup234:
That dude doesnt live in the UK. He is among the lazy Nigerian youth we are trying to educate. They waste years waiting for a lost uncle to come take them abroad. Time that would have been spent doing something meaningful. On every street in Nigeria people are building duplexes with a value over 35 million naira, paying 300k per term for their kids.. money is exchanging hands for those actively engaged. Ugosample comes from a lost generation of "negative thinkers association of Nigeria". At 45yrs he is still waiting for his uncle to take him to America to work like a dog

This punk must be tripping

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by adonainana: 2:48pm On Sep 01, 2019
Ugosample:

lol

I'm a "part time resident" of Nigeria lol

you wan pursue me?

No ooo why are you part time in where you reffered to as niggerrrr area

and is full of dirty poor people according to your words

Why are you still part time here tho

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 2:49pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
from what you have just typed, the bolded part, it is obvious you have not even seen muritala mohammed airport before. a minimum wage earner in america is on 8 dollars an hour. 40 hours a week is 320 a month is 1300 dollars. after tax he gets 1000. his rent is like 600. his transportation to work for a month is 200. his feeding for a month is 200. his clothing is 100. his light bill is 50. his water bill is 50. his internet is 100. and i have not eeven mentioned all his other bills but already his monthly expense is 1300 and he only earns 1000. so where do you come up with this he can save 4000 dollars in 4 months ? you stupid nigerians are clueless. in 40 years of work this person will still have zero in his account and be owing on his credit card bills. more than likely he would be homeless

You just ended up typing absolute NONSENSE. More so, you're the stupid person here cos you can't read carefully and assimilate what you read.

Did you see where I mentioned "whole salary"? I was only creating a hypothetical scenario where a minimum wage earner saves up their entire salary to buy a car, and I was trying to calculate how long it will take the person to achieve that. By the way, there are young people who start working after high school while still living with their parents, and they don't have to pay a rent of $600 or light and gas bills like you quoted.
A young daughter of my cousin who recently entered the university in America just bought Corolla 2008. I am not sure of how much she spent on it, but she bought it solely from her savings. She works in a mall. How many of her counterparts in Nigeria can buy a 2008 Corolla after working in a mall for about a year?

In all the nonsense you wrote up there, you didn't even try to justify how minimum wage earners in Nigeria cope on a salary of ₦18k per month. Abeg, comot joor.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 2:51pm On Sep 01, 2019
WeRblessed:

My brother you know that African problem is inferiority complex. They believe that anything outside Nigeria is better. Africa has more mineral resources than both Europe and USA combined, but they just can't sit at home and find a way to utilize it. White men built their nations through exploiting Africa. Nigeria only depends on oil meanwhile they have other resources to cultivate and put the citizens to work. As I'm saying this now, three out of ten school kids in America go to bed hungry, especially when school is on break. Some families in America both white or black rely on school breakfasts and lunches for their children. So many Nigerians don't know where their next rent will come from because their salaries will never be enough for rent, electricity and water bills, health insurance, gas, groceries, credit cards, plus child care ( if you don't have any family member to watch them). Most of them live on food stamps and picking up foods from churches and charity stores. Some of them rely on thrift stores to get clothes. A lot of them want to visit Nigeria but ashamed to do so because of what people may say, as they will not have money to buy their families expected American goodies. Most of them could only afford coming home by maxing their credit cards. In America you'll work, work, and work, but 30% of your salary go to taxes. The more money you make the more they'll tax you. Some Nigerians have fallen into depression because no amount is ever enough to start a foundation or even build a business back home.Try to advice our people they will not understand. They don't even know that it will take them years to get papers to work in America. The friend or family member may allow you to stay for a few weeks and after that you need to start paying Bill's if not they throw you out. No one cares! You'll need at least $50,000.00 to survive in America a year without a job. Also, no one will rent you accommodation because you have no paperwork or social security card. Some cities have no buses for transportation so most of your money will go to uber or taxis. Bro if I continue to type everything today, chi ga eji, chi ga abo. Funny thing is, most of them in nairaland think you don't want them to go to America. Please allow them to go now.
speak on it

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by HBB1(m): 2:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Oga fear God ooo now we have moved on to president of the Central Bank of England

Kai, very soon you will say you are the President of the Bank of England and your salary is this that

Then property valued in billions in Banana island you wont be able to afford still

Inside life

Whatever works for you bruv, Sayid Javid was on a 3 million pound salary before he joined politics.
There many more (legit) rich people like that

They were dirt poor growing up in England but he rose through the ranks.

With the 'little' I earn now, I am still doing stuff in Naij. I am still going to do more!

I try to move with the right people and sniff out investment opportunities wherever possible-- real estate and tech (for now).

By God's grace, and by hard work in the right environments, I will get there!

Cheers mate

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 2:58pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kennydoc:

You just ended up typing absolute NONSENSE.

Did you see where I mentioned "whole salary"? I was only creating a hypothetical scenario where a minimum wage earner saves up their entire salary to buy a car, and I was trying to calculate how long it will take the person to achieve that. By the way, there are young people who start working after high school while still living with their parents, and they don't have to pay a rent of $600 or light and gas bills like you quoted.
A young daughter of my cousin who recently entered the university in America just bought Corolla 2008. I am not sure of how much she spent on it, but she bought it solely from her savings. She works in a mall. How many of her counterparts in Nigeria can buy a 2008 Corolla after working in a mall for about a year?

In all the nonsense you wrote up there, you didn't even try to justify how minimum wage earners in Nigeria cope on a salary of ₦18k per month. Abeg, comot joor.
we dont live in a hypothetical world. we live in the real world. wake up from your dream. o ye slumber. and a 2008 corolla can be bought for 500 dollars so thats nothing. any poor man in nigeria has 500 dollars ( 200 thousand naira ) in his bank account. i know poor people in mushin that will dash you 500,000 naira ( 1 thousand dollars ).

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
abbey621:

Anywhere can be El-Dorado, at the same time any place can be hell. It depends on your efforts and blessings, in the U.S and the UK if you cut your clothes according to your size and manage to get a good job over 60,000 pounds per year, you would not only be able to live better than most people in Nigeria, you would also have enough to send your children to the university. Sure you won't enjoy the parties and nonchalant activities most Nigerians enjoy but you are doing something meaningful in your life and that of your children. Ultimately the amenities and the opportunities abroad far outweighs anything Nigeria could offer unless you want to steal, scam or kill.....lol
what are you smoking ? how many jobs in THE WHOLE england pay over 60,000 pounds a year ? and out of the miniscule number of jobs that pay over 60,000 how many do they give to black people ? you are an idiot

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 3:07pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
we dont live in a hypothetical world. we live in the real world. wake up from your dream. o ye slumber. and a 2008 corolla can be bought for 500 dollars so thats nothing. any poor man in nigeria has 500 dollars ( 200 thousand naira ) in his bank account. i know poor people in mushin that will dash you 500,000 naira ( 1 thousand dollars ).

Oh, a 2008 Corolla can be bought for $500 right? Did you see where the person I originally quoted said that 99% of Americans can't pay for their cars at once? Is Corolla 2008 not a car? So basically, any American adult can afford 2008 Corolla. How many Nigerian adults can afford it?

I thought you would have broken it down to me how minimum wage earners in Nigeria survive on ₦18k per month, since people can't survive on $1k per month in the US.

Any poor man in Nigeria can afford ₦200k? Now you're talking without reasoning. Nigeria currently has over 80 million extremely poor people (the largest of such population in any nation if the world), yet to you, any poor Nigerian can afford ₦200k.

Did you say ₦500k is equivalent to $1k? This guy is even an ignoramus. Well, I don't see any point engaging you further.

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by SIRTee15: 3:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Pakis and indians have taken over which workforce in the UK,
The taxi industry workforce or which one

Everywhere....
Tell me the name of your GP...
Sounds indian or Pakistan..
Visit boots pharmacy and ask to see the pharmacist....
Looks Asian right...
Google, Microsoft, Amazon, huawei are all packed with indians....
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:09pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

I repeat anyone in the UK on a £60,000 takes home only £3000 per month ( The tax band for earners between earning between £46,000 to £150,000 comes in between 40 %) There is no escaping it, its a matter of legislation put down in law.

The only way you can avoid paying your tax in the UK is if you illegally use someones else National Insurance No similar to the Social Security Number in the USA.

Please ask your auditors, engineers friends that would they mind telling me thier Tax code as written on thier monthly payslips, i will tell them how much they earn monthly, they will think i am a sorcerer.

I repeat the net pay ( the final money that goes into your account if you are on a £60,000 salary ) is £3000.

£3,000 is not a lot of money, infact people like that will still end up Paying bills and just dying like that.

I never said Majority of Nigerians are living better than Majority of people living in the west.

My point was in my 11 years of living in the west, i have seen Middle class UK people being unable to afford what Midlle Class Nigerians can afford

Even if we use the example of this your auditor friend you claim earns £60,000. He is a very high extremely high earner by UK standards, he is not even Middle class by UK standards. Yet all he earns after tax is just £3,000 ( 1.5 million naira per month )

How does it sound that someone classed as a High earner earns what most Middle class Nigerians make per month. Hope you have started to understand where i am coming from

More or less this your auditor friend, he has not even deducted his rent, car, petrol, etc etc from this net pay of £3,000 he has just made.

So sir do you see where i am coming from, this your £60,000 friend is actually poor if we look deep down at it constructively sir

You see this hospital this, this good road that, please just leave it to one side cos i wonder where on the planet are there not roads and hospitals
Speak on it

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:15pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kennydoc:

Oh, a 2008 Corolla can be bought for $500 right? Did you see where the person I originally quoted said that 99% of Americans can't pay for their cars at once? Is Corolla 2008 not a car? So basically, any American adult can afford 2008 Corolla. How many Nigerian adults can afford it?

I thought you would have broken it down to me how minimum wage earners in Nigeria survive on ₦18k per month, since people can't survive on $1k per month in the US.

Any poor man in Nigeria can afford ₦200k? Now you're talking without reasoning. Nigeria currently has over 80 million extremely poor people (the largest of such population in any nation if the world), yet to you, any poor Nigerian can afford ₦200k.

Did you say ₦500k is equivalent to $1k? This guy is even an ignoramus. Well, I don't see any point engaging you further.
you are confused. anybody can cash down for a banger in america. a banger is a used up car with over 150,000 miles on it. and the same applies to nigeria. everybody in nigeria pays cash down for their cars. and in nigeria people cash down for their luxury cars but in america no one can afford to cash down for their luxury cars. which is what the topic of the thread is, meaning nigerians live better than americans. and from what i have just said its obvious nigerians live better. look at all the luxury cars on the streets of nigeria ? people paid CASH for that not CREDIT

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:18pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

If i went to hammer, try asking any relative you have in the UK to send you 10,000 naira now ( tell them a lie that something bad happened to you ) and tell the same to a relative in nigeria that you need 10,000 naira now that something happened to you. Note down the differences between the two people you have asked money from and reflect on it.

Perhaps you are right, you can get your mortgage and owe the bank a stipulated money for the next 30 years with the amount also rises with inflation.

But here is the catch ooo, nothing must happen to you within that 30 years ooo, Infact just make sure you are dead as opposed toyou leaving your job, travelling abroad or doing anything unreasonable within the next 30 years from date you start paying back your mortgage

Bro trust me, so many people are trapped in this type of mortgage situation, only when you see it for yourself can you believe me.

Not every one is doing fraud in Nigeria either, I sincerly hope you understand where i am coming from

Also i forgot to mention the house you will be borrowing from the bank here in the UK to buy with a mortgage payable over 30 years would and can only resemble what some people use as thier BOYS QUARTER back in Nigeria.

In other words, you borrowed £300000 payable back over 30 years to live in a House that is not even up to the size of the average size of the smallest Nigerian homes. lol

But at least you will have good roads and hospitals and schools abi,
YOU KILLIN EM YOU KILLIN EM YOU KILLIN EM grin grin

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 3:20pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

I repeat anyone in the UK on a £60,000 takes home only £3000 per month ( The tax band for earners between earning between £46,000 to £150,000 comes in between 40 %) There is no escaping it, its a matter of legislation put down in law.

The only way you can avoid paying your tax in the UK is if you illegally use someones else National Insurance No similar to the Social Security Number in the USA.

Please ask your auditors, engineers friends that would they mind telling me thier Tax code as written on thier monthly payslips, i will tell them how much they earn monthly, they will think i am a sorcerer.

I repeat the net pay ( the final money that goes into your account if you are on a £60,000 salary ) is £3000.

£3,000 is not a lot of money, infact people like that will still end up Paying bills and just dying like that.

I never said Majority of Nigerians are living better than Majority of people living in the west.

My point was in my 11 years of living in the west, i have seen Middle class UK people being unable to afford what Midlle Class Nigerians can afford

Even if we use the example of this your auditor friend you claim earns £60,000. He is a very high extremely high earner by UK standards, he is not even Middle class by UK standards. Yet all he earns after tax is just £3,000 ( 1.5 million naira per month )

How does it sound that someone classed as a High earner earns what most Middle class Nigerians make per month. Hope you have started to understand where i am coming from

More or less this your auditor friend, he has not even deducted his rent, car, petrol, etc etc from this net pay of £3,000 he has just made.

So sir do you see where i am coming from, this your £60,000 friend is actually poor if we look deep down at it constructively sir

You see this hospital this, this good road that, please just leave it to one side cos i wonder where on the planet are there not roads and hospitals

Middle class earners in Nigeria don't earn ₦1.5m per month please. Let's stop sounding ridiculous in a bid to defend Nigeria. Middle class Nigerian earners take home less than 300k per month. The proportion of workers who earn up to 1m monthly in Nigeria are probably not up to 2%. Their counterparts in the UK earn over £150k per annum. Have you heard of financial analysts in the UK? Some of them earn as much as £500 per day. https://www.reed.co.uk/average-salary/average-financial-analyst-salary-in-surrey
Those are the kind of people you will compare with the ₦1.5m per month earners in Nigeria.

Westerners go broke cos they don't save. They go on holidays and spend all the money. How many Nigerians can afford holidays? Even cleaners in hospitals, security guards etc all go on holidays at least annually. They don't spend their entire lives working like Nigerians do, and they enjoy their money while working. They don't care much about saving cos they live in a system that can protect them and provide for their basic needs even in their old age.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 3:30pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
you are confused. anybody can cash down for a banger in america. a banger is a used up car with over 150,000 miles on it. and the same applies to nigeria. everybody in nigeria pays cash down for their cars. and in nigeria people cash down for their luxury cars but in america no one can afford to cash down for their luxury cars. which is what the topic of the thread is, meaning nigerians live better than americans. and from what i have just said its obvious nigerians live better. look at all the luxury carson the streets of nigeria ? people paid CASH for that not CREDIT

No, you're the confused guy. You definitely are.
Which luxury cars do people cash down in Nigeria? What proportion of Nigerians do that? People steal public funds and buy expensive cars and you celebrate them instead of sending them to jails. How many Nigerians cash down luxury cars from their hard earned cash.

You still don't understand that the fact that people buy things on credit doesn't necessarily mean they can't save for it. I have friends who have been buying the lastest Samsung Galaxy phones on contract, meanwhile their salaries can buy 4 of such phones at once. It's simply easier to pay for it in bits over a long time than at once. They aren't broke. A friend bought 2018 Mercedes for £20k. He paid £10k cash and the remaining £10k will be on contract over 2 years. About the same period, he bought a house in which he paid initial deposit of £10k. He also got married that same period. He did all these after working for 2 years. There's no way the same guy would have been able to do these even with 10 years savings of doing the same job in Nigeria.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:33pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kennydoc:

No, you're the confused guy. You definitely are.
Which luxury cars do people cash down in Nigeria? What proportion of Nigerians do that? People steal public funds and buy expensive cars and you celebrate them instead of sending them to jails. How many Nigerians cash down luxury cars from their hard earned cash.

You still don't understand that the fact that people buy things with credit cards doesn't necessarily mean they can't save for it. I have friends who have been buying the lastest Samsung Galaxy phones on contract, meanwhile their salaries can buy 4 of such phones at once. It's simply easier to pay for it in bits over a long time than at once. They aren't broke. A friend bought 2018 Mercedes for £20k. He paid 10k cash and the remaining £10k will be on contract over 2 years. About the same period, he bought a house in which he paid initial deposit of £10k. He also got married that same period. There's no way the same guy would have been able to do these even with 10 years savings of doing the same job in Nigeria.
Lets just accept that you and your friends are cheap and operating on poverty mentality. the man can afford a phone but prefers to buy it on credit and pay small small each month ? what a pathetic bunch of cheap stingy people lmaooo. over here in nigeria we cash down for our phones. we got it like that. we live better lives in africa

2 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
Lets just accept that you and your friends are cheap and operating on poverty mentality. the man can afford a phone but prefers to buy it on credit and pay small small each month ? what a pathetic bunch of cheap stingy people lmaooo. over here in nigeria we cash down for our phones. we got it like that. we live better lives in africa

Unfortunately, majority of you guys can't even afford such phones from your salaries. Let's be real, how many people on ₦50-150k salaries (which is the range of the usual starting salaries for Nigerian graduates in most establishments) can afford to buy a phone of ₦500k even with one year savings?
Mind you, I am not talking about Yahoo Yahoo guys, politicians, runs girls etc. I am talking about normally employed folks.

I maintain that it's better to buy a £1k phone on contract and pay £50 per month for 2 years than to pay the £1k at once. The £50 deduction per month will not be felt at all, meanwhile that £1k can be invested into other stuff.

4 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:48pm On Sep 01, 2019
EgunMogaji2:

Nigeria is a wonderful place to be for me.

But I’ll admit that it depends on your economic status which is also true for the USA.
have you moved back to nigeria ? when ? this year ?

1 Like

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:51pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kennydoc:

Unfortunately, majority of you guys can't even afford such phones from your salaries. Let's be real, how many people on ₦50-150k salaries (which is the range of the usual starting salaries for Nigerian graduates in most establishments) can afford to buy a phone of ₦500k even with one year savings?
Mind you, I am not talking about Yahoo Yahoo guys, politicians, runs girls etc. I am talking about normally employed folks.

I maintain that it's better to buy a £1k phone on contract and pay £50 per month for 2 years than to pay the £1k at once. The £50 deduction per month will not be felt at all, meanwhile that £1k can be invested into other stuff.
thats the beautiful thing about nigeria ? we dont rely on our salaries. the environment is so fruitful that most people out here have multiple sources of incomes ( side hustles ), but over there in the west after they have used you up like a slave at your 9 to 5 job you dont have energy for side hustles so you guys are solely reliant on your salaries. over here the average person has 5 to 10 sources of income. we are hustlers down here not salary earners

pay a 1k phone for 2 years ? jesu gbami oooo . you guys in the west are broke. how do you pay 200,000 thousand naira for 2 years ? jesu shocked

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Mancala: 3:53pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Now I know you've never been to the UK, you have just been using SENSE to reply me and google, youung man I am a payroll manager (the department which deals with people pay )

If you are on a £100,000 salary in the Uk, your salary is taxed 45%

On your payslip all you will see that is going to your bank account every month will be £4,583

45% percent of your yearly must madantoroly go to the govt as Income tax

Now convert £4583 to naira every month and tell me if it is up to 3 million naira

Chai I even thought you knew a lot about the uk Kai so I have been wasting my time talking to you

So you thought all the £100,000 your friend earns goes to her chai see ignorance ooo

The UK, like many other Western countries runs a progressive income tax system not a flat regressive tax system like you describe.
Using the 100k example, lets apply the letter of the law and figure this out the right way based on 2019/2020 rates.
Personal exemption 12,500. 0%
Basic rate 12,501 - 50,000. 20%
Higher rate 50,001 - 150,000 40%
Additional rate - over 15,000. 45%

Assuming you have no allowable expenses, your taxable income = 100k - 12,500 =87.5k
The first 37.5k falls under the basic rate of 20% = 7.5k
The next 50k falls under the higher rate of 40% = 20k
Total income tax liability = 27.5k
Add national insurance of 5,964 for total liability of 33,464
Annual pay net of taxes = 66.5k which is 5.5k per month on a straight line basis

If your take home is 4,583, it implies you are contributing approx 960 pounds to an individual pension on a monthly basis! This will be in addition to the state pension under national insurance.

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Kennydoc(m): 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
thats the beautiful thing about nigeria ? we dont rely on our salaries. the environment is so fruitful that most people out here have multiple sources of incomes ( side hustles ), but over there in the west after they have used you up like a slave at your 9 to 5 job you dont have energy for side hustles so you guys are solely reliant on your salaries. over here the average person has 5 to 10 sources of income. we are hustlers down here not salary earners

pay a 1k phone for 2 years ? jesu gbami oooo . you guys in the west are broke. how do you pay 200,000 thousand naira for 2 years ? jesu shocked

You can only deceive yourself and not me. You are all hustlers in Nigeria with 5-10 sources of income, yet over 80 million Nigerians live on less than $1.25 per day and Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

There is so much money in Nigeria yet the best of Nigerian professionals are all running to Canada.
Recently, Saudi Arabia conducted interview to recruit Nigerian medical consultants, and over 100 Nigerian consultants attended. Nigerian consultants leave their jobs in Nigeria to go and become junior doctors in the US, Canada, UK, Australia etc, and they celebrate it.

Guy, no vex me o.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 3:59pm On Sep 01, 2019
Beautyaddy:

There was a documentary of these people being shown on CNN.

So my question is why are these people forcing themselves to stay in Los- Angeles...of is it by force.

The US has 50 States...and in some of those States there are cities that offer way more cheaper cost of living.

Los- Angeles is a very, very expensive city to live in if you're not into entertainment or high tech IT.
as a homeless person you want to be in a warm climate. thats why they all flock to cali. you dont want to be homless in alaska or chicago. you will freeze to death

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 4:02pm On Sep 01, 2019
Kennydoc:

You can only deceive yourself and not me. You are all hustlers in Nigeria with 5-10 sources of income, yet over 80 million Nigerians live on less than $1.25 per day and Nigeria is the poverty capital of the world.

There is so much money in Nigeria yet the best of Nigerian professionals are all running to Canada.
Recently, Saudi Arabia conducted interview to recruit Nigerian medical consultants, and over 100 Nigerian consultants attended. Nigerian consultants leave their jobs in Nigeria to go and become junior doctors in the US, Canada, UK, Australia etc, and they celebrate it.

Guy, no vex me o.
thats western propaganda. this is how they keep the poor and oppressed happy in the west. by telling them that even though you are here suffering but there are some people on this planet in africa who earn 1 dollar a day. this is how they keep their oppressed population happy. with propaganda at the expense of africans. but thats all it is. lies and propaganda

and nigerians running to canada are greedy and lazy people. they think there is money on the streets to be picked up. they will soon find out otherwise and will be crying to return home. i have seen it happen many times. lots of depressed nigerians in canada. there is a viral video of a nigerian woman begging for money on the streets of canada

3 Likes

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by Adiwana: 4:08pm On Sep 01, 2019
adonainana:

Quite a few check international universities and see Nigerian students there from Nigerian families in their thousands

Check Lagos alone for how many millionaires live there

I laugh at you bro

I laugh

Bro,abeg make we say the truth and save ourselves the embarrassment of trying to win internet arguments while peddling out lies.

Which schools are you talking about?? Is the schools that paying 20k is still a big deal. How many business or working class people even make that not to talk about people that do it illegally??What's even the ratio of people who make that amount illegally or legally to the rest of the population.

Problem is that since most of us on the internet space can afford to buy data,we think we know all about Nigeria.Reason why politicians don't care about the masses is because we are so all out of touch with reality
Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by timesup234: 4:10pm On Sep 01, 2019
orunmila144:
you are confused. anybody can cash down for a banger in america. a banger is a used up car with over 150,000 miles on it. and the same applies to nigeria. everybody in nigeria pays cash down for their cars. and in nigeria people cash down for their luxury cars but in america no one can afford to cash down for their luxury cars. which is what the topic of the thread is, meaning nigerians live better than americans. and from what i have just said its obvious nigerians live better. look at all the luxury carson the streets of nigeria ? people paid CASH for that not CREDIT
Leave all dis slave masters lover alone. Even 500usd corolla is being sold here for 1.6million after you add shipping, clearing and profit cost. That's over $4,000 spent here for same car they bought $500 over there

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Africans Live Better Lives Than Most Americans by orunmila144: 4:12pm On Sep 01, 2019
timesup234:
In your little mind. Nigeria is so poor yet you guys ship cars daily to sell down here to make profit. Apple and Samsung continue to make sales here while Chinese brands make most of their foreign revenues here.. I bet spirits are the ones purchasing them. You bring in all kind of goods to sell to spirit. Your reasoning faculty is faulty, you might need that of a he-goat
speak on it

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (24) (Reply)

Air Peace Plane Overshoots Runway In Port Harcourt / Body Parts Of A Dead Woman At Oshodi Railway (Graphic Pics) / London Man Creates Scene As Airline Staff Stop Him From Going With His “egusi,”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.