Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,002 members, 7,821,515 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:11 PM

MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide (59907 Views)

Naira Closes 1,402/$ At Official Market As Dollar Demand Persists / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border / Man Closes Company Account With GT Bank Over Innoson Saga(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2019
holuphisayor:
good. DSTV should follow. I'm prepared not to watch football anymore sef. Lets be mad together.

grin grin grin

I smell an Arsenal supporter...
>

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Didi2d(m): 2:36pm On Sep 04, 2019
Let every Nigerian using MTN simply break their sim, don't go destroy any property some belongs to Nigerians, mtn and likes are on rentage
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by guru90: 2:38pm On Sep 04, 2019
i am begging them oooh..... let them not shutdown their Network down ooooooooo
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 2:39pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
I read some comments about Nigerians being the ones to suffer if and when MTN moves out of Nigeria. That's true, but guess what? Someone has to pay the price for freedom. FREEDOM is not cheap and never comes on a plater of gold. MTN would NEVER leave Nigeria. Nigeria is their biggest market in Africa and to them it's all about the money. During apartheid regime, a lot of universities in the US had investments in South Africa and their students had to force them to divest from apartheid SA and give up all the money that they were making hands over fist. That was what helped to bring the regime to its knees. So, if you want a change, then something has to give. You can't eat your cake and have it.

First, those were PORTFOLIO investments (“hot money”)...
Divestment did not result in a loss of THOUSANDS of US jobs.

Furthermore, they probably did not lose money...
They simply reinvested those funds in other markets/funds.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by ZikZikZik: 2:40pm On Sep 04, 2019
Kingpee2:
Violence is never a solution but rather chaos .
You never really experience some kian things first hand that’s whyangry
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by agbitaj(m): 2:41pm On Sep 04, 2019
You really don't know what you are saying
Denikayan:
Why!

This is a Breach of contract. Subscribers have been manipulated to believe they come first.

If any security challenges, they can consult the security institutions in the country for protection.

What hurts the most is that I won't have the opportunity to get an iphone X. Was already planning to go hang around MTN Ikoyi just in case it's bursted.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by eliok(m): 2:42pm On Sep 04, 2019
Has see first period
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by eetzdave(m): 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2019
Kingpee2:

Words from a wise man...zlatan 2019
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Rubbiish(m): 2:45pm On Sep 04, 2019
pocohantas:
Lots of MTN outlets are owned by partners who are Nigerians. So, if people want to strike, they should be mindful. Lest they hit one of their own.
Unfortunately the bold is obviously the case.
Nigerians are putting up a wrong fight, attacking shoprite, MTn, Dstv have no negative impact on an average South African. Rather it is further destruction of our weak economy, 99% of staff working in these so called south African establishments are Nigerians. We should rather be more concerned about how to build our dwindling economy.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by eniolastet65: 2:47pm On Sep 04, 2019
The company made an hasty decision on this matter.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Rubbiish(m): 2:47pm On Sep 04, 2019
Didi2d:
Let every Nigerian using MTN simply break their sim, don't go destroy any property some belongs to Nigerians, mtn and likes are on rentage
The bold is true but funny lol
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by idonhammer: 2:49pm On Sep 04, 2019
How are they helping you?if they think they are doing us help then they should try other African countries and see how far.

okeyumez:
Its Nigerian workers that will suffer for it if MTN leaves Nigeria.
MTN is already rich. They are only helping us but we are ignorant
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Wande22(m): 2:50pm On Sep 04, 2019
where is XhosaNostra

She don enter ghost-mode ko grin grin grin grin
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by obayendo1010(m): 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2019
pls this is blowed out of proportion with husspuppi eye opening, with celebrities respond and fake videos being uploaded to send a wrong pictures pls no matter what you do bear in mind Nigerians will suffer both ways....this SA multinational outlets is own by our brother lets not turn a breadwinner in a family to liability...No hast to hanger because the gravity is at the cool....PLS MY BROTHERS LETS TRY CALM THINGS DOWN IS ABSURB BUT IS STILL THE BEST WAY.....advice you friends and family to shun protest and vandalizing property thinking it belongs to SA govt.....most times we think too much with the crowd and forget the message being past across in ever incidence.........Ask yourself what have i learn from this?........we are intelligent and we should start thinking different....like why is the govt not taking action....why are we targets of international community.........what are my people not getting correctly and how can i change it....we need to task our self....the solution to our problems is in the ability to think differently from the norms....
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by emezuo17: 2:51pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:
What happened in Lagos yesterday is an indication of what’s to come, it has nothing to do with Xenophobia or South Africans but a glimpse of what the middle class should expect from poor Nigerians who are waiting for a reason & an excuse to strike.

These people have constantly strolled into the malls year over year, too poor to shop & no hopes of a better tomorrow, sees other people with chubby looking kids rolling shop carts & loading groceries into their cars. They want these things too.

Engage poor Nigerians ones. You will see that undertone of “In this tough country, these people are living large and buying cars, they are thieves”. The middle class is the closest to Nigeria’s lower class. They will be the first target. This thing is here already. Just recently, I noticed my estate introduced armed mobile police personal to join the current one. The need to have this things is a signal that we have a failed society already. These people will not be able to save us. You’d be surprised they’d join in.

We are sitting on a nuke. Poor Nigerians are angry and they are not that angry at their government. They are angry at you because:
1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.
5. You live in a fine house.

In this economy, how? If you lived through the riots of the mid 90s, you’d understand this is not new. The middle class is always at the receiving end. The people believe Nigerian can never be better, so they want those shiny things you have. At least that would give them some satisfactions.

If Nigeria ever gets a Revolution (which I pray we don’t get). It’s going to be the poor versus the seemingly rich. You don’t have to be rich to be a target. You just have to enjoy what others don’t enjoy. Scary times ahead.

God bless you people. Enjoy your morning(hopefully)

Adewunmi Ogunsanya owns Multichoice Nigeria and the assets belong to him and his associates.
Tayo Amusan owns Palms shopping mall. Shoprite is just a tenant.
A lot of SA companies here are franchises owned by Nigerians.

You’re only hurting Nigerians. Stop the violence.
. My brother, you get sense no be small, how I wish we have your type as majority on this forum, unfortunately that is not the case, IAM not very rich but can pay my bills and live very close to the downtrodden, you need to see their bitterness, even our security men in the estate I live are so hostile sometimes that I get scared, mostly when any one with a good car comes looking for you, my brother Nigeria is on a dangerous cliff.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 2:53pm On Sep 04, 2019
[quote author=9jaRealist post=81915513]

grin grin grin

Easy to sit behind your PC or hold your device far away and flex Internet Revolutionary...
Pretty sure MTN employees with school fees, rents, food and medical bills, etc. would opt out.

>[/quo

I am not surprised at your comment. People want change but nobody wants to be the change that they desire. Citizens of Hong Kong want change and they could careless what pain it would cause them to achieve their goal. They understand that the long term effects of the law would be more severe than their short term suffering to STOP the law. Nigerians wander why things NEVER change. It is the thinking of folks like you are the reason....short term gain for long term suffering. Has not worked and would never work! Go figure!!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by olajizz01(m): 2:54pm On Sep 04, 2019
Kingpee2:
You can say that to S.Africans, this is not their first,second times of attacking and killings of foreigners, let other Africans act because it's as if SA has no govt. that can restrict their wild animals called citizens
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Rubbiish(m): 2:55pm On Sep 04, 2019
CrestMan:
UNTIL NIGERIANS STORM DSTV AND THE FG JAM THEIR NETWORK FROM OUR SPACE FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS, THAT'S WHEN I WILL TAKE THESE FAKE REACTIONS SERIOUS. lipsrsealed undecided

MY PROPOSAL:

LET US NOT WATCH SUPER SPORTS FOR ATLEAST 3 MONTHS SO THAT SOUTH AFRICA WILL FEEL THE HEAT! IF YOU ARE WITH ME CLICK LIKE, IF NOT SHARE angry
Even if u choose not to watch super sport, south africans won't feel the heat, Dstv is just owned by one or two persons in south African. The only way they will feel d heat, is by attacking south African citizens in Nigeria, but obviously south african economy is not that bad, so they hardly travel. For me this is suppose to be a wake up call for our leaders to put things right, so Nigerians can find reasons to stay in their country, but our leaders are shameless and greedy.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by onpoint69(m): 2:57pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:

helping us bawo,?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Reference(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:

Then let their Nigerian workers speak out. Their compatriots are being torn apart abroad. A wise philospher once said, 'Duty has no sweethearts'. These incidents will teach Nigerians how to unify around a cause and to sacrifice for all.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Shaev7(m): 2:59pm On Sep 04, 2019
Ordo Abchao
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 04, 2019
Denikayan:
Why!

This is a Breach of contract. Subscribers have been manipulated to believe they come first.

If any security challenges, they can consult the security institutions in the country for protection.

What hurts the most is that I won't have the opportunity to get an iphone X. Was already planning to go hang around MTN Ikoyi just in case it's bursted.

You can work hard to buy an iPhone X. Don't be like those South Africans.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Sanchez01: 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
I hear people say this every time but it is high time some of you understood what would happen. MTN will lose on all fronts when they leave Nigeria. They own the largest market share in the Nigerian telecom market with 43%. When South African companies leave Nigeria, a lot of Nigerians will be out of jobs but the move will eventually mean open doors to other brands and businesses that are not South Africa's.

Beyond that, existing service providers will upscale, resource and manpower wise in other to further accommodate and boost its new share of acquisition in the Nigerian telecom market. The same will apply to cable television providers who will seize the opportunity to break into the Nigerian market.

In the end, Nigerians that are out of jobs as a result of this move will get better opportunities when new companies come in, since they have acquired experience in their various fields.

South African companies, save for Stanbic are doing incredibly well in Nigeria than in other countries.

2 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Neddstark: 3:03pm On Sep 04, 2019
thesicilian:
MTN keeps publicly condemning but never really do anything concrete. They know how to lobby the government to get juicy contracts but when it comes to lobbying their own government to prevent loss of lives and property, their arms are folded.

They are a company. They have no influence over government's security.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by CrestMan: 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2019
Rubbiish:

Even if u choose not to watch super sport, south africans won't feel the heat, Dstv is just owned by one or two persons in south African. The only way they will feel d heat, is by attacking south African citizens in Nigeria, but obviously south african economy is not that bad, so they hardly travel. For me this is suppose to be a wake up call for our leaders to put things right, so Nigerians can find reasons to stay in their country, but our leaders are shameless and greedy.

I agree with you but the reason I mentioned DSTV is because it seems Nigerians are stylishly focussing ONLY on Shoprite, MTN, PEP etc. If you want to attack, why not also include DSTV?
"The man that is crying still sees". So because of our love for football, we're avoiding DSTV.
That's my point tongue
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by cyberguy72(m): 3:04pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
lie....they would loose billions
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by correctguy2010: 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:

IS YOUR BRAIN AWARE OF THIS POST?

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by edobalo: 3:05pm On Sep 04, 2019
Let us Manage Airtel, 9mobile, and Glo. We don't want them again, they can't be making millions here and killing us there.
The lied that Nigerians are selling drugs to their kids, why killing other Africans?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by fowlyansh181(m): 3:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
sadly you are inexperienced when it comes to economics, a company can only be proud and successful when you grow more . If Mtn looses one of its biggest market being Nigeria .. what follows is loosing of profits , borrowing to maintain the company and finally filing for bankruptcy and either selling the company or crashing .. same happened to etisalat ..
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by PecE2Make: 3:07pm On Sep 04, 2019
Who cares. Mtn keeps deducting my my airtime inplace of my data I subscribed for. Criminals !
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 3:08pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

>

Please what “change” would that be?! shocked

You leave your poor inept, fantastically-corrupt rulers and attack foreign businesses directly and indirectly employing TENS OF THOUSANDS of your fellow citizens (from experienced and highly-skilled professionals to young graduates to artisans and the unskilled), chase away foreign businesses and deprive your citizens of much-needed employment in a country with 25% “official” unemployment (and probably twice as much in real terms) and even greater underemployment. How does that even begin to make any RATIONAL sense? How would losses to MTN, Shoprite or DSTV improve Nigeria’s political, social or economic condition or redress the real problems underlying the symptomatic issues if Nigeria. Talk about loudly chasing shadows in derogation of substance.

I realize that many Nigerians are just follow-follow people, but please quit comparing apples with oranges. Hong Kongers are confronting their oppressors directly. They are not flexing on innocent bystanders or foreign investors while ignoring their nation’s REAL problems.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by lordprogress: 3:10pm On Sep 04, 2019
Denikayan:
Why!

Lol bad guy grin you know the mata.
My own I just position around shoprite for warri in case anything burst out grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tang Jian: Story Of How Former Millionaire Turned Sausage Seller (Photos) / Forex Trading: How Profitable? / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.