Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide (59909 Views)

Naira Closes 1,402/$ At Official Market As Dollar Demand Persists / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border / Man Closes Company Account With GT Bank Over Innoson Saga(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:52pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
It's folks like you who do not know when to speak and when to shut up that is the bane of Nigeria. You can't even if your life depends on it realize when you have bitten more than you can chew but as a typical dim wit, you keep burying your self. To claim earlier that I waded into your comment is farthest from the truth. You do not have the intellectual sophistication to write something that I would deem worthy to comment on. That's not my style and I am not wired that way. Although, on very few occasions, I have "liked" a comment here and there but judging by my very limited interaction with you, I seriously doubt if I would ever dignify any of your comments in that manner. I only like comments that are intellectually sound and on issues that piqued by curiosity.

grin grin grin

Oh, the irony...
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
It's folks like you who do not know when to speak and when to shut up that is the bane of Nigeria. You can't even if your life depends on it realize when you have bitten more than you can chew but as a typical dim wit, you keep burying your self. To claim earlier that I waded into your comment is farthest from the truth. You do not have the intellectual sophistication to write something that I would deem worthy to comment on. That's not my style and I am not wired that way. Although, on very few occasions, I have "liked" a comment here and there but judging by my very limited interaction with you, I seriously doubt if I would ever dignify any of your comments in that manner. I only like comments that are intellectually sound and on issues that piqued by curiosity.

Meanwhile, I see you are making an effort to clean up your lingo and straighten out the rough edges...
Glad to see that I’ve been a POSITIVE influence, but you don’t need to thank me (I’m charitable like that). wink
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 5:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

DUDE is now frightened of emojis...
Do they remind you of your “village people”?! LMAO!!
>

I am surprised that someone turned your freaking mic on. You let a fool have a mic, he thinks he's the cat's meow. You're very juvenile with that emojis. When you can't express yourself and need gap fillers, you resort to emojis!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:59pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

I am surprised that someone turned your freaking mic on. You let a fool have a mic, he thinks he's the cat's meow. You're very juvenile with that emojis. When you can't express yourself and need gap fillers, you resort to emojis!

Just when you were starting to smoothen out the crude edges...
The “intellectual sophistication” strikes again. Oh well, just keep at it. wink
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Meanwhile, I see you are making an effort to clean up your lingo and straighten out the rough edges...
Glad to see that I’ve been a POSITIVE influence, but you don’t need to thank me (I’m charitable like that). wink
>

You're a sorry ass of a person. I could see the cells in your pea brain getting smaller and smaller as the conversation goes further along. Not surprised you have gone beyond your capabilities. keep talking till you go brain dead.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Sanchez01: 6:09pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

All of what you foresee could conceivably occur but it is (perhaps naively) overly optimistic...
Michelin (and was it Goodyear?) left Nigeria and nobody stepped into the breach while our rubber plantations died.

Even if we have local providers step in...
The track record of local telecoms companies (even Glo) is not exactly top-notch. Consumers may ended up paying more for less.

Meanwhile, DSTV already has several local competitors (as well as the JV Startimes)...
But, as with the local telecoms companies, service is less than desirable (the worst case being the defunct Hi-TV).

Btw, it’s not true that all SA companies (bar Stanbic) make a killing in Nigeria...
Tiger Foods, Nandos, the NSE-listed Multichoice (before it returned), SASOL, Telkom, etc., had nothing but woes.

Finally, the fallout would hardly be limited to SA...
The biggest would be dearth of future FDI after you’ve run your BIGGEST foreign investor out of turn for no fault of theirs.
>
The case of Michelin and Dunlop is quite different. Perhaps you should read up on why they folded up in Nigeria. And I am not necessarily talking about local providers. The Nigerian market is probably the major market in Africa. The competition with Orange, Vodacom, etc in Ghana, South Africa and other African countries is one major reason MTN cannot afford to lose Nigeria with its massive market share.

It is funny how you could say DStv already has competitors in Nigeria. I would have argued that no Nigerian could say such but then again... Just so you know, DStv is running a monopolized market in Nigeria. While the other petty cables show the Bundesliga, and Serie A, Multichoice is the only one with the rights to air the Premiership. How then is this a fair competition?

Should South African companies get shown the door in Nigeria, which I am praying for, local providers will conveniently thrive at a steady pace. Perhaps you didn't know one of the major reasons why most of the so called competitors don't last is because of some deliberate actions by certain people in Government doing the bidding of these foreign companies in Nigeria.

You'd be amazed at how their would be new companies begging for operating licenses should South African companies get the kick. Bharti Airtel will no doubt revel the day it happens.

3 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 6:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
You're a sorry ass of a person. I could see the cells in your pea brain getting smaller and smaller as the conversation goes further along. Not surprised you have gone beyond your capabilities. keep talking till you go brain dead.

grin grin grin

DUDE, utterly gobsmacked you would recognize brain cells...
Seeing as you obviously did not inherit any. The fruit doesn’t fall far, does it?

>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 6:29pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

>

I do not have to clean my lingo especially when dealing with your kind. You know why? Because I know when I am dealing with a fool and know the language that he understands. And when I'm dealing with someone decent and with enough sense, I speak to him accordingly. So, now in the moment that I am dealing with you, it would be out of norm and ethical malpractice to accord you any respect or dignity albeit in my use of the language since that's not what you're used to. Why bother?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 6:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

The case of Michelin and Dunlop is quite different. Perhaps you should read up on why they folded up in Nigeria. And I am not necessarily talking about local providers. The Nigerian market is probably the major market in Africa. The competition with Orange, Vodacom, etc in Ghana, South Africa and other African countries is one major reason MTN cannot afford to lose Nigeria with its massive market share.

It is funny how you could say DStv already has competitors in Nigeria. I would have argued that no Nigerian could say such but then again... Just so you know, DStv is running a monopolized market in Nigeria. While the other petty cables show the Bundesliga, and Serie A, Multichoice is the only one with the rights to air the Premiership. How then is this a fair competition?

Should South African companies get shown the door in Nigeria, which I am praying for, local providers will conveniently thrive at a steady pace. Perhaps you didn't know one of the major reasons why most of the so called competitors don't last is because of some deliberate actions by certain people in Government doing the bidding of these foreign companies in Nigeria.

You'd be amazed at how their would be new companies begging for operating licenses should South African companies get the kick. Bharti Airtel will no doubt revel the day it happens.

Exactly how is it “unfair”? They bought and paid for the rights...
You apparently didn’t know (or forgot) that Hi-TV once bought and own same rights - and it was a DISASTER.

And just btw, it’s no different from NBC owning EPL rights in the US...
Or Skysports in the UK itself, or BeIN Sports in the Middle East. That’s basic ‘free’ market COMPETITION.

Meanwhile, you didn’t explain why you classify the case of the tire manufacturers as different...
But I fail to see the difference. 2 foreign investors left and were not replaced by local or foreign investors.

Nigeria is admittedly a GREAT market for MTN and I doubt they’ll leave unless forced to (hence why they opted to pay the mega-fine and to list on the local bourse), but Nigerians should not overplay this so-called “huge” market narrative. We are presently the World’s Capital of Extreme Poverty (which means the largest absolute and percentile numbers of people living in extreme poverty) and growing, with little or no indices that the ruling class has the foggiest idea how to reverse the trend. It doesn’t necessarily affect a company like MTN that much because SIM cards are relatively dirt cheap, but the brutal reality is that with hordes of well-educated skilled and middle-class Nigerians emigrating in droves, effective consumer demand is way much SMALLER than the supposedly huge population numbers would ordinarily suggest. In fact, by most estimates it’s not more than 5 million effective demand for leisure and luxury (ie, non-essential) goods and services.

Nigeria requires MASSIVE foreign (together with domestic) investment to create the millions of jobs it’s ever-growing population desperately and even to finance infrastructure (that would further engender investment and productivity). Arbitrarily kicking and/or expropriating the country’s single BIGGEST (non-hydrocarbon) foreign investors for events beyond their control and in which they have absolutely NO direct (or even indirect) link or nexus to sends the worst possible signals to any and all foreign investors contemplating in this country which already has an appalling reputation for poor infrastructure, rampant efficiency, often poorly-educated and skilled work force and spectacular corruption.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 6:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

DUDE, utterly gobsmacked you would recognize brain cells...
Seeing as you obviously did not inherit any. The fruit doesn’t fall far, does it?

>

Apparently, acorn does not fall too far from the tree. That tells me you're the product of RETARDS!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Newmans: 6:43pm On Sep 04, 2019
The mtn pictures that circulated on-line yesterday was an old pictures not current picture's as I 'm writing to you now no mtn office in Nigeria was touch by any one.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 6:43pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

Apparently, acorn does not fall too far from the tree. That tells me you're the product of RETARDS!

grin grin grin

Oh my...
Did you really strain those lonely “brain” cells to cram-and-regurgitate essentially what you were just told?!
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 6:45pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
I do not have to clean my lingo especially when dealing with your kind. You know why? Because I know when I am dealing with a fool and know the language that he understands. And when I'm dealing with someone decent and with enough sense, I speak to him accordingly. So, now in the moment that I am dealing with you, it would be out of norm and ethical malpractice to accord you any respect or dignity albeit in my use of the language since that's not what you're used to. Why bother?

Yes, I realize it’s a mighty strain and struggle to suppress the crude upbringing, but keep at it... grin
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by ChristianEast: 6:57pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

How is the criminality of non-state actors an “act of war”? shocked
Would be akin to Western nation’s declaring war on Nigeria when several Westerners are kidnapped here.
>
The xenophobic attacks are government backed and well coordinated.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 7:19pm On Sep 04, 2019
dangoteinlaw:
yen yen oga motivational speaker, gtf out of here

lol. no ves. grin grin grin
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 7:21pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Oh my...
Did you really strain those lonely “brain” cells to cram-and-regurgitate essentially what you were just told?!
>

First off, you have no concept of the saying and again, you are clueless as to what acorn is. So, why act as if you understand what it meant?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 7:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Yes, I realize it’s a mighty strain and struggle to suppress the crude upbringing, but keep at it... grin
>

There's no politeness in dealing with DOUCHEBAG!!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by kripen(m): 7:56pm On Sep 04, 2019
Denikayan:
Why!

This is a Breach of contract. Subscribers have been manipulated to believe they come first.

If any security challenges, they can consult the security institutions in the country for protection.

What hurts the most is that I won't have the opportunity to get an iphone X. Was already planning to go hang around MTN Ikoyi just in case it's bursted.

You nor we'll! Lol!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 7:57pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

>

I do not have to strain to do nothing. It just comes natural depending on the issue and the slowpoke that I have to put in his place. If I am dealing with a Numbskull, he gets the same exact treatment.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Alkanoicacid(m): 8:04pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:
What happened in Lagos yesterday is an indication of what’s to come, it has nothing to do with Xenophobia or South Africans but a glimpse of what the middle class should expect from poor Nigerians who are waiting for a reason & an excuse to strike.

These people have constantly strolled into the malls year over year, too poor to shop & no hopes of a better tomorrow, sees other people with chubby looking kids rolling shop carts & loading groceries into their cars. They want these things too.

Engage poor Nigerians ones. You will see that undertone of “In this tough country, these people are living large and buying cars, they are thieves”. The middle class is the closest to Nigeria’s lower class. They will be the first target. This thing is here already. Just recently, I noticed my estate introduced armed mobile police personal to join the current one. The need to have this things is a signal that we have a failed society already. These people will not be able to save us. You’d be surprised they’d join in.

We are sitting on a nuke. Poor Nigerians are angry and they are not that angry at their government. They are angry at you because:
1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.
5. You live in a fine house.

In this economy, how? If you lived through the riots of the mid 90s, you’d understand this is not new. The middle class is always at the receiving end. The people believe Nigerian can never be better, so they want those shiny things you have. At least that would give them some satisfactions.

If Nigeria ever gets a Revolution (which I pray we don’t get). It’s going to be the poor versus the seemingly rich. You don’t have to be rich to be a target. You just have to enjoy what others don’t enjoy. Scary times ahead.

God bless you people. Enjoy your morning(hopefully)

Adewunmi Ogunsanya owns Multichoice Nigeria and the assets belong to him and his associates.
Tayo Amusan owns Palms shopping mall. Shoprite is just a tenant.
A lot of SA companies here are franchises owned by Nigerians.

You’re only hurting Nigerians. Stop the violence.

Woow. I thought I'm the only one with these thoughts. War is coming. Waaar.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by mank1234(m): 9:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
I closed my MTN line since 2017. Once I receive a call from anyone, I immediately inform the caller that I'm no more using that line. At the end of this month, my GOtv will be relegated too.

Right now I see South Africans as the most barbaric set of people on earth.

I wish our parents did not contribute all those 1kobo they sent to them during that apartheid period.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by CrestMan: 9:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Another Arsenal fan spotted...
>

grin grin grin thanks for making me laugh grin
So in your mind, you think Arsenal fans are scared of the beating they will suffer this season. Well I strongly think Manchester United fans are the ones in that shoe grin

NB: I'M NEITHER ARSENAL NOR MANCHESTER UNITED FAN cool cheesy tongue
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Lamanii22(f): 9:21pm On Sep 04, 2019
Kingpee2:
Violence is never a solution but rather chaos .

Hehehehehe in zlatan's voice..
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by greatermeme: 9:58pm On Sep 04, 2019
Wande22:
where is XhosaNostra

She don enter ghost-mode ko grin grin grin grin
Nowhere to be found today!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by tck2000(m): 10:28pm On Sep 04, 2019
Some persons are typing trash.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:10am On Sep 05, 2019
CrestMan:

grin grin grin thanks for making me laugh grin
So in your mind, you think Arsenal fans are scared of the beating they will suffer this season. Well I strongly think Manchester United fans are the ones in that shoe grin

NB: I'M NEITHER ARSENAL NOR MANCHESTER UNITED FAN cool cheesy tongue

grin grin grin
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Awaja(m): 9:00am On Sep 05, 2019
Denikayan:
Why!

This is a Breach of contract. Subscribers have been manipulated to believe they come first.

If any security challenges, they can consult the security institutions in the country for protection.

What hurts the most is that I won't have the opportunity to get an iphone X. Was already planning to go hang around MTN Ikoyi just in case it's bursted.
You can still go hang around your primary target ,dem no pack am go house na ,na lock dem lock am .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tang Jian: Story Of How Former Millionaire Turned Sausage Seller (Photos) / Forex Trading: How Profitable? / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.