Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,191 members, 7,822,011 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide (59913 Views)

Naira Closes 1,402/$ At Official Market As Dollar Demand Persists / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border / Man Closes Company Account With GT Bank Over Innoson Saga(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by grandlexuz(m): 3:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
Its Nigerian workers that will suffer for it if MTN leaves Nigeria.
MTN is already rich. They are only helping us but we are ignorant

You are the dumbest fellow I know.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Neddstark: 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:
What happened in Lagos yesterday is an indication of what’s to come, it has nothing to do with Xenophobia or South Africans but a glimpse of what the middle class should expect from poor Nigerians who are waiting for a reason & an excuse to strike.

These people have constantly strolled into the malls year over year, too poor to shop & no hopes of a better tomorrow, sees other people with chubby looking kids rolling shop carts & loading groceries into their cars. They want these things too.

Engage poor Nigerians ones. You will see that undertone of “In this tough country, these people are living large and buying cars, they are thieves”. The middle class is the closest to Nigeria’s lower class. They will be the first target. This thing is here already. Just recently, I noticed my estate introduced armed mobile police personal to join the current one. The need to have this things is a signal that we have a failed society already. These people will not be able to save us. You’d be surprised they’d join in.

We are sitting on a nuke. Poor Nigerians are angry and they are not that angry at their government. They are angry at you because:
1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.
5. You live in a fine house.

In this economy, how? If you lived through the riots of the mid 90s, you’d understand this is not new. The middle class is always at the receiving end. The people believe Nigerian can never be better, so they want those shiny things you have. At least that would give them some satisfactions.

If Nigeria ever gets a Revolution (which I pray we don’t get). It’s going to be the poor versus the seemingly rich. You don’t have to be rich to be a target. You just have to enjoy what others don’t enjoy. Scary times ahead.

God bless you people. Enjoy your morning(hopefully)

Adewunmi Ogunsanya owns Multichoice Nigeria and the assets belong to him and his associates.
Tayo Amusan owns Palms shopping mall. Shoprite is just a tenant.
A lot of SA companies here are franchises owned by Nigerians.

You’re only hurting Nigerians. Stop the violence.

So much sense. These people await breakdown in law and order to do their madness. The rich are far away from them so the middleclass will turn victim

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by overboard(m): 3:12pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:
What happened in Lagos yesterday is an indication of what’s to come, it has nothing to do with Xenophobia or South Africans but a glimpse of what the middle class should expect from poor Nigerians who are waiting for a reason & an excuse to strike.

These people have constantly strolled into the malls year over year, too poor to shop & no hopes of a better tomorrow, sees other people with chubby looking kids rolling shop carts & loading groceries into their cars. They want these things too.

Engage poor Nigerians ones. You will see that undertone of “In this tough country, these people are living large and buying cars, they are thieves”. The middle class is the closest to Nigeria’s lower class. They will be the first target. This thing is here already. Just recently, I noticed my estate introduced armed mobile police personal to join the current one. The need to have this things is a signal that we have a failed society already. These people will not be able to save us. You’d be surprised they’d join in.

We are sitting on a nuke. Poor Nigerians are angry and they are not that angry at their government. They are angry at you because:
1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.

In this economy, how? If you lived through the riots of the mid 90s, you’d understand this is not new. The middle class is always at the receiving end. The people believe Nigerian can never be better, so they want those shiny things you have. At least that would give them some satisfactions.

If Nigeria ever gets a Revolution (which I pray we don’t get). It’s going to be the poor versus the seemingly rich. You don’t have to be rich to be a target. You just have to enjoy what others don’t enjoy. Scary times ahead.

Adewunmi Ogunsanya owns Multichoice Nigeria and the assets belong to him and his associates.

Ultimate statement my brother

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by engrchykae(m): 3:13pm On Sep 04, 2019
team airtel
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by pocohantas(f): 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
Rubbiish:

Unfortunately the bold is obviously the case.
Nigerians are putting up a wrong fight, attacking shoprite, MTn, Dstv have no negative impact on an average South African. Rather it is further destruction of our weak economy, 99% of staff working in these so called south African establishments are Nigerians. We should rather be more concerned about how to build our dwindling economy.

I logged out and saw they looted a friend's shop in one of the malls. How did they even think every gadamn shop in that mall belongs to South-Africans? How??

It is either they are opportunist or just ignorant...

2 Likes

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by timesup234: 3:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
Nobody is already rich. Even Apple and Microsoft cant claim to be already rich. They are still both looking for market to expand and increase their profit

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 3:17pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

First, those were PORTFOLIO investments (“hot money”)...
Divestment did not result in a loss of THOUSANDS of US jobs.

Furthermore, they probably did not lose money...
They simply reinvested those funds in other markets/funds.
>

Another Nigerian warped mentality. Until folks like you stop this preference for short term gain inlieu of long term discomfort and sufferning, Nigeria would NEVER go anywhere. Look at Hong Kong, the citizens knew that the bill that was introduced would have a severe lasting effects on them than the short term discomfort and suffering they would encounter now trying to stop the law. Guess what? As a people who believed in their cause and future, they decided to fight now and not leave that burden on their children for later. That's how a people get things accomplished and not always kicking the can down the road. You either fight for it now or pay for it later. I am not at all surprised what a typical Nigerian like you would choose.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 3:18pm On Sep 04, 2019
pocohantas:

I logged out and saw they looted a friend's shop in one of the malls. How did they even think every gadamn shop in that mall belongs to South-Africans? How??

It is either they are opportunist or just ignorant...

Even if the shops were owned by South Africans, what would looting them achieve?

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by lordprogress: 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2019
correctguy2010:

IS YOUR BRAIN AWARE OF THIS POST?
I they tell you he is a biggest fool.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by DateMynd44(m): 3:19pm On Sep 04, 2019
sogodihno:
That's nice. Thunde fire their papa
typical of an Afonja APC supporter always in support of violence
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by ChristianEast: 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
You are still a kid in international politics.

Government will not allow them to leave. They would freeze their assets and then nationalize their shares of MTN Nigeria stake and sell it to Nigeria citizens.

Union Bank and Forte Oil (formerly AP) were former british firms. The military government nationalized them, took over all their assets, deport them from Nigeria and sell the companies to Nigerians.

MTN cannot leave Nigeria unless we allowed them.

In the UK, even their own citizen can't even close down a big company. Their government would nationalize it and hand it over to private investors
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by PrimadonnaO(f): 3:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:

1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.

Why didn't you write that your post was copied?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 3:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
Another Nigerian warped mentality. Until folks like you stop this preference for short term gain inlieu of long term discomfort and sufferning, Nigeria would NEVER go anywhere. Look at Hong Kong, the citizens knew that the bill that was introduced would have a severe lasting effects on them than the short term discomfort and suffering they would encounter now trying to stop the law. Guess what? As a people who believed in their cause and future, they decided to fight now and not leave that burden on their children for later. That's how a people get things accomplished and not always kicking the can down the road. You either fight for it now or pay for it later. I am not at all surprised what a typical Nigerian like you would choose.

Dude, I don’t like to waste time repeating myself...

So until you can ‘educate’ the rest of us how ignoring your rulers and fighting MTN changes Nigeria for the better, I will take a rain check on the needless banter. SMH

Meanwhile, as I previously noted, many Nigerians just love to blindly follow-follow (which is partly what has gotten on into our sorry national circumstances in the first place), which is why most of them would miss even the most poignant differentiations. What RATIONAL persons thinks of outgoing portfolio investments as synonymous with incoming foreign direct investment? Imitation is not synonymous with emulation, but sadly it seems some of the loudest segments of the Nigerian chattering class cannot distinguished between both.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by SILVERLINES: 3:26pm On Sep 04, 2019
good one

shut it down

or we will other our Nigerians working in that firm out and set your offices and properties ablaze

we are strategizing for that

Port Harcourt we no go doll our hands
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by follock007(m): 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2019
mtn and dstv which they are using spy on Nigeria and collecting our social security data which is used to file for bogus tax returns (identity theft)... despite the vivid fact they we are patronizing them through proxy they still go ahead to invade and bastardized shops. they have killed and ambassador in one of their previous raiding which is not in circulation yet, i got from a private source which said the new ambassadorial they think is naive...
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by SILVERLINES: 3:27pm On Sep 04, 2019
warz:
I

go to hell with ur fraud
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 3:30pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Please what “change” would that be?! shocked

You leave your poor inept, fantastically-corrupt rulers and attack foreign businesses directly and indirectly employing TENS OF THOUSANDS of your fellow citizens (from experienced and highly-skilled professionals to young graduates to artisans and the unskilled), chase away foreign businesses and deprive your citizens of much-needed employment in a country with 25% “official” unemployment (and probably twice as much in real terms) and even greater underemployment. How does that even begin to make any RATIONAL sense? How would losses to MTN, Shoprite or DSTV improve Nigeria’s political, social or economic condition or redress the real problems underlying the symptomatic issues if Nigeria. Talk about loudly chasing shadows in derogation of substance.

I realize that many Nigerians are just follow-follow people, but please quit comparing apples with oranges. Hong Kongers are confronting their oppressors directly. They are not flexing on innocent bystanders or foreign investors while ignoring their nation’s REAL problems.
>

The issue of discussion is about Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and not the ineptness or corruptness of the Nigerian government. So, to conflate the two is asinine on your part. No reasonable person is arguing here that the Nigerian government is not corrupt or that MTN is not employing Nigerians. When such topics become an issue of discussion, I am sure I would have something to say about that, but until then you should learn to stick with the issue. Enough said!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by elknice: 3:33pm On Sep 04, 2019
we pray for one Africa and peace!!!!

JOIN OUR GLOBAL PORTFOLIO :-
Elknice Technews
www.elknicetechnews.com.ng
JIBORE IMPECCABLE
www.jibore.com
IFY BEST TOOLS CENTRE
www.ifybesttools.com
TALK CLINIC ENTERTAINMENT
www.femitalks.com
MACOM TRAVELS LTD
www.mirs-co.com
DAMDOL GLOBAL RESOURCES
www.damdol.com
AND LOTS MORE .... @ www.elknicetechnews.com.ng/profile
°Give your business that online presence it deserve. Get a world class website.

Do you have a business or an idea? Why not get a website and give it an online exposure @ a very affordable price from Elknice Solutions.
We are available to help you grow your business.
----------------------------------------------------------------
°Company website
°School website
°E-Commerce Site
°Hotel booking and reservation site
°Online Radio
°E-Platform
°Blog
°Etc

Benefits includes :
1. Free SSL Certificate
2. Modern online/offline payment (get paid by anyone, anywhere in the world)
3. SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
4. Unlimited Bandwidth
5. Free Digital Marketing Consultation
6. Free regular maintenance and management
7. Social media management
8. 24/7 support

We’re focused on delivering modern websites with flawless user experience. We create beautiful digital products that drive growth and covert leads.
We also develop custom mobile apps .

Contact us Today @ https://elknicetechnews.com.ng/contact/

E: info@elknicetechnews.com.ng

Call : +2348070774214

Whatsapp: https:///2348070774214

Portfolio: www.elknicetechnews.com.ng/profile

Kindly re-share
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by UncleJudax(m): 3:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
Kingpee2:
Violence is never a solution but rather chaos .
Stop plagiarism. Quote the appropriate source. shocked
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by excel101(m): 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
You are a fool for saying this. You are looking at the job that will be lost rather than the lives of your compatriots far away S/Africa.

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by ledaman: 3:38pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
Really? to hell with their help!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 3:39pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Dude, I don’t like to waste time repeating myself...

So until you can ‘educate’ the rest of us how ignoring your rulers and fighting MTN changes Nigeria for the better, I will take a rain check on the needless banter. SMH

>

First of, I am not your Dude. Secondly, the same principle enunciated in my comment applies to the issues that Nigerians have to deal with be it fighting against their government or dealing with Xenophobic attacks on it citizens. How can a people with such belief and proclivity for instant gratification rather than fighting for what would augur well for the country long term be of a mindset to fight a corrupt government? Sorry, you sure can't reconcile the two belief systems!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by excel101(m): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:

1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.

A S/Africa ally detected. Sabo

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by pocohantas(f): 3:40pm On Sep 04, 2019
ornicus:

Even if the shops were owned by South Africans, what would looting them achieve?

Nothing at all, but if they wanna give a reprisal attack- they should be precise na.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by funshynathan(m): 3:47pm On Sep 04, 2019
If MTN tries to leave Nigeria today, their market share will crash seriously. Nigeria is the market that made them what they are
okeyumez:

1 Like

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 3:51pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
The issue of discussion is about Xenophobic attacks on Nigerians and not the ineptness or corruptness of the Nigerian government. So, to conflate the two is asinine on your part. No reasonable person is arguing here that the Nigerian government is not corrupt or that MTN is not employing Nigerians. When such topics become an issue of discussion, I am sure I would have something to say about that, but until then you should learn to stick with the issue. Enough said!
9jaRealist:
MaNyEsq post=81915351:
I read some comments about Nigerians being the ones to suffer if and when MTN moves out of Nigeria. That's true, but guess what? Someone has to pay the price for freedom. FREEDOM is not cheap and never comes on a plater of gold. MTN would NEVER leave Nigeria. Nigeria is their biggest market in Africa and to them it's all about the money. During apartheid regime, a lot of universities in the US had investments in South Africa and their students had to force them to divest from apartheid SA and give up all the money that they were making hands over fist. That was what helped to bring the regime to its knees. So, if you want a change, then something has to give. You can't eat your cake and have it.

grin grin grin

Easy to sit behind your PC or hold your device far away and flex Internet Revolutionary...
Pretty sure MTN employees with school fees, rents, food and medical bills, etc. would opt out.

>

grin grin grin

I now remember this DUDE..
Loves meaningless Strawman’s Arguments and ad hominem attacks when lacking substantive merit. SMH

Remembering that you might well have an issue with basic English comprehension...
I have taken the liberty to include the post that YOU responded to, and it’s not limited to xenophobic attacks.

Furthermore, how can any RATIONAL thinking person divorce both subject matters?
Sans a corrupt inept government would Nigerians need to be in a hostile South Africa in such large numbers?
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by akan102: 4:01pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:

We don't want their help again
Let other nationals come or possibly we do it ourselves,
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 4:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

I now remember this DUDE..
Loves meaningless Strawman’s Arguments and ad hominem attacks when lacking substantive merit. SMH

Remembering that you might well have an issue with basic English comprehension...
I have taken the liberty to include the post that YOU responded to, and it’s not limited to xenophobic attacks.

Furthermore, how can any RATIONAL thinking person divorce both subject matters?
Sans a corrupt inept government would Nigerians need to be in a hostile South Africa in such large numbers?

PS: Re your poor attempt at sophistry, what does protests in Hong Kong have to do with SA xenophobia? shocked grin
>

what does protests in Hong Kong have to do with SA xenophobia? Another dumb ass question! You have just shown how stupid you're really are. Think before you speak. After all these times, you still can not read and comprehend at the same time? Pease, before you start asking silly questions and foaming in the mouth like a rabid dog, I suggest that you read first and digest what you had read . Give yourself time to understand before commenting. You see, when you do that, you make a fool of yourself. I had suspected that you're ignorant but just don't open your mouth and remove all doubt.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Legendguru: 4:09pm On Sep 04, 2019
Oh
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 4:11pm On Sep 04, 2019
ChristianEast:

You are still a kid in international politics.

Government will not allow them to leave. They would freeze their assets and then nationalize their shares of MTN Nigeria stake and sell it to Nigeria citizens.

Union Bank and Forte Oil (formerly AP) were former british firms. The military government nationalized them, took over all their assets, deport them from Nigeria and sell the companies to Nigerians.

MTN cannot leave Nigeria unless we allowed them.

In the UK, even their own citizen can't even close down a big company. Their government would nationalize it and hand it over to private investors

That’s simply incorrect...

It seems the recent $9.6 billion PI& D arbitral award has thought Nigerians nothing...
If the government appropriates their assets or nationalizes the business, it will pay HUGE compensation for it.

During our parents/grandparents time, when Nigeria nationalized Barclays (Union Bank), Standard (First Bank), BP (AP/Forte Oil), Esso (Unipetrol/Conoil), ironically as part of the struggle to liberate South Africa from Apartheid rule, it paid HUGE compensation for each (and this was when we were flush with oil money in the first “oil boom” era). Subsequently, it took a long while to regain some measure of foreign investor confidence.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 4:18pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
what does protests in Hong Kong have to do with SA xenophobia? Another dumb ass question! You have just shown how stupid you're really are. Think before you speak. After all these times, you still can not read and comprehend at the same time? Pease, before you start asking silly questions and foaming in the mouth like a rabid dog, I suggest that you read first and digest what you had read . Give yourself time to understand before commenting. You see, when you do that, you make a fool of yourself. I had suspected that you're ignorant but just don't open your mouth and remove all doubt.

grin grin grin

You mean it’s okay to “conflate” Hong Kong protest with SA xenophobic attacks on Nigerians...
But simply beyond the pall to “conflate” the ineptness of the Nigeria govt with Nigerians in SA?

This DUDE’s sophistry doesn’t even attempt to be clever...
Neither does the crude and CHILDISH (just recalled your favorite term grin) ad hominem attacks.
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tang Jian: Story Of How Former Millionaire Turned Sausage Seller (Photos) / Forex Trading: How Profitable? / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.