Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,176 members, 7,821,984 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide (59910 Views)

Naira Closes 1,402/$ At Official Market As Dollar Demand Persists / Benin Republic Traders Lament As Nigeria Closes Border / Man Closes Company Account With GT Bank Over Innoson Saga(photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 4:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

You mean it’s okay to “conflate” Hong Kong protest with SA xenophobic attacks on Nigerians...
But simply beyond the pall to “conflate” the ineptness of the Nigeria govt with Nigerians in SA?

The sophistry doesn’t even attempt to be clever...
Neither does the crude and CHILDISH (just recalled your favorite term grin) ad hominem attacks.
>

Not to be rude, but honestly what level of education do you have? How the heck you keep asking me the same silly ass question? Any person with even few brain cells would understand if they had read my comment referencing Hong Kong. I suggest that you go and read my comments many times before responding again. It's getting very annoying.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 4:28pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

Not to be rude, but honestly what level of education do you have? How the heck you keep asking me the same silly ass question? Any person with even few brain cells would understand if they had read my comment referencing Hong Kong. I suggest that you go and read my comments many times before responding again. It's getting very annoying.

grin grin grin

Perhaps you should try your hand at comedy (would definitely be more productive)...
Because that chicken has already flown the coop, but well aware not everyone was raised properly.

Meanwhile, DUDE, I had already addressed Hong Kong in my first response to you...
Due to your comprehension deficit, you failed to grasp the 2d reference was facetious (even with emojis). SMH
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Rhymza: 4:31pm On Sep 04, 2019
Babtech001:

https://leakers.ng/business/1665-mtn-shuts-stores-in-nigeria-after-anti-south-african-attacks/

Sincere and Genuine Way “Partner with a Nigeria News Update Website and get the privilege of being paid each time you share a post on your facebook or watch videos, view a post on the website, create a post and login to the website. You can start today with a one time registration fee of N1500 and stand d chance to earn over 20k everyday Ask me how”. Call or Whatssapp me +2348050817910 PLEASE CHECK OUT https://loadedpenvibes.com/affiliate/emmyrhymez DON'T ALWAYS GO FOR FREE THINGS.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 4:36pm On Sep 04, 2019
follock007:
mtn and dstv which they are using spy on Nigeria and collecting our social security data which is used to file for bogus tax returns (identity theft)... despite the vivid fact they we are patronizing them through proxy they still go ahead to invade and bastardized shops. they have killed and ambassador in one of their previous raiding which is not in circulation yet, i got from a private source which said the new ambassadorial they think is naive...

Abegi, which social security data? shocked

Meanwhile, 99% of MTNN employees are NIGERIANS (including the Chief Technical Officer).
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 04, 2019
All i see from a lot of posters here is nothing but sheer IGNORANCE... whuch makes me understand the reason some of my expatriate friends tell me Nigeria has a lot of money but little brains...... You only need to understand basic international economics to know which country will loose more if this continues....there is a reason Nigerians are rushing to SA in droves and they are investing here rather than migrate to Nigeria ...think deeply brothers..... Like the sicilian mafias will say.... Rajuna bras!! Rajuna!!!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 4:39pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Perhaps you should try your hand at comedy (would definitely be more productive)...
Because that chicken has already flown the coop, but well aware not everyone was raised properly.

Meanwhile, DUDE, I had already addressed Hong Kong in my first response...
Due to your comprehension deficit, you failed to grasp the 2d reference was facetious (even with emojis). SMH
>

You're probably right about comedy because I find your incongruous response to my initial comments very comical and of no substance. Just another idle mind and TROLL trying to be recognized and stay relevant in an adult discussion. It's not going to win you any brownie points. Keep at it mister!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by guynextdoor(m): 4:43pm On Sep 04, 2019
Pojomojo:
What happened in Lagos yesterday is an indication of what’s to come, it has nothing to do with Xenophobia or South Africans but a glimpse of what the middle class should expect from poor Nigerians who are waiting for a reason & an excuse to strike.

These people have constantly strolled into the malls year over year, too poor to shop & no hopes of a better tomorrow, sees other people with chubby looking kids rolling shop carts & loading groceries into their cars. They want these things too.

Engage poor Nigerians ones. You will see that undertone of “In this tough country, these people are living large and buying cars, they are thieves”. The middle class is the closest to Nigeria’s lower class. They will be the first target. This thing is here already. Just recently, I noticed my estate introduced armed mobile police personal to join the current one. The need to have this things is a signal that we have a failed society already. These people will not be able to save us. You’d be surprised they’d join in.

We are sitting on a nuke. Poor Nigerians are angry and they are not that angry at their government. They are angry at you because:
1. You drive a nice car
2. You travel for summer
3. You shop at Shoprite
4. Your kids, chubby.
5. You live in a fine house.

In this economy, how? If you lived through the riots of the mid 90s, you’d understand this is not new. The middle class is always at the receiving end. The people believe Nigerian can never be better, so they want those shiny things you have. At least that would give them some satisfactions.

If Nigeria ever gets a Revolution (which I pray we don’t get). It’s going to be the poor versus the seemingly rich. You don’t have to be rich to be a target. You just have to enjoy what others don’t enjoy. Scary times ahead.

God bless you people. Enjoy your morning(hopefully)

Adewunmi Ogunsanya owns Multichoice Nigeria and the assets belong to him and his associates.
Tayo Amusan owns Palms shopping mall. Shoprite is just a tenant.
A lot of SA companies here are franchises owned by Nigerians.

You’re only hurting Nigerians. Stop the violence.
Well said, sir. How I wish those in power can see this your write up. Its high time we tell ourselves the truth:the economic imbalance cum the gap between the haves & have nots is just too much, and it's only a matter of time before there will be a revolt. How widespread the revolt turns out to be is what scares me. I do know one thing though, if the uprising is well coordinated, Nigeria will cease to be.
God help us!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by follock007(m): 4:48pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

Abegi, which social security data? shocked

Meanwhile, 99% of MTNN employees are NIGERIANS (including the Chief Technical Officer).
>

you're asking me which social security data? abeg oga go and ask your alhaji abi na babalawo him be grin
those 99 are divergent and they will be the ones to kill the fraud network company.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by samwash(m): 4:49pm On Sep 04, 2019
okeyumez:
Its Nigerian workers that will suffer for it if MTN leaves Nigeria.
MTN is already rich. They are only helping us but we are ignorant

Waytin dis one dey take?
Forget that side, within a second you will see a company that will take ova their entire investment nationwide.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Reference(m): 4:51pm On Sep 04, 2019
Nigerians cannot even summon a shred of unity on how to respond while their noses are pulled through the mud by a more determined and fiercely focus foe. There is nothing we go through we won't have a cowardly reason to justify. Iam sure if it our rave Hitler gassed into oblivion most will belong to the Nazi party and even struggle to lead it. We are truly a cowardly race.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2019
Sanchez01:

I hear people say this every time but it is high time some of you understood what would happen. MTN will lose on all fronts when they leave Nigeria. They own the largest market share in the Nigerian telecom market with 43%. When South African companies leave Nigeria, a lot of Nigerians will be out of jobs but the move will eventually mean open doors to other brands and businesses that are not South Africa's.

Beyond that, existing service providers will upscale, resource and manpower wise in other to further accommodate and boost its new share of acquisition in the Nigerian telecom market. The same will apply to cable television providers who will seize the opportunity to break into the Nigerian market.

In the end, Nigerians that are out of jobs as a result of this move will get better opportunities when new companies come in, since they have acquired experience in their various fields.

South African companies, save for Stanbic are doing incredibly well in Nigeria than in other countries.

All of what you foresee could conceivably occur but it is (perhaps naively) overly optimistic...
Michelin (and was it Goodyear?) left Nigeria and nobody stepped into the breach while our rubber plantations died.

Even if we have local providers step in...
The track record of local telecoms companies (even Glo) is not exactly top-notch. Consumers may ended up paying more for less.

Meanwhile, DSTV already has several local competitors (as well as the JV Startimes)...
But, as with the local telecoms companies, service is less than desirable (the worst case being the defunct Hi-TV).

Btw, it’s not true that all SA companies (bar Stanbic) make a killing in Nigeria...
Tiger Foods, Nandos, the NSE-listed Multichoice (before it returned), SASOL, Telkom, etc., had nothing but woes.

Finally, the fallout would hardly be limited to SA...
The biggest would be dearth of future FDI after you’ve run your BIGGEST foreign investor out of turn for no fault of theirs.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by rashrockalabx(m): 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2019
There network is very bad here in kaduna since last month....av dropped d sim since
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by ChristianEast: 4:54pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

That’s simply incorrect...

It seems the recent $9.6 billion PI& D arbitral award has thought Nigerians nothing...
If the government appropriates their assets or nationalizes the business, it will pay HUGE compensation for it.

During our parents/grandparents time, when Nigeria nationalized Barclays (Union Bank), Standard (First Bank), BP (AP/Forte Oil), Esso (Unipetrol/Conoil), ironically as part of the struggle to liberate South Africa from Apartheid rule, it paid HUGE compensation for each (and this was when we were flush with oil money in the first “oil boom” era). Subsequently, it took a long while to regain some measure of foreign investor confidence.
>
Nigeria decided to pay because the affected people are British and British didn't attack any Nigerian interest.

What SA is doing today is act of war and if our govt decides to nationalize their shares in MTN, Shoprite and the others in the name of national security they don't need to pay any shitt.

One Executive Order would take care of the rest.
Again, don't forget that SA doesn't owe more than 40% stake in any of those companies.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by patorial(m): 5:01pm On Sep 04, 2019
So because glo heard that I don ban Mtn they come comot my remaining 200mb?
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:02pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:
You're probably right about comedy because I find your incongruous response to my initial comments very comical and of no substance. Just another idle mind and TROLL trying to be recognized and stay relevant in an adult discussion. It's not going to win you any brownie points. Keep at it mister!

grin grin grin

Pure comedy...
DUDE, you may have inadvertently finally stumbled on a profession.

Would say rather rich when YOU unsolicitedly responded to my post (and stuck around since)...
But well aware that you may actually not understand the terms you cram and merely regurgitate. SMH
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
ChristianEast:

Nigeria decided to pay because the affected people are British and British didn't attack any Nigerian interest.

What SA is doing today is act of war and if our govt decides to nationalize their shares in MTN, Shoprite and the others in the name of national security they don't need to pay any shitt.

Again, don't forget that SA doesn't owe more than 40% stake in any of those companies.

How is the criminality of non-state actors an “act of war”? shocked
Would be akin to Western nation’s declaring war on Nigeria when several Westerners are kidnapped here.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 04, 2019
More trouble for Nigeria, wished we still had MTEL. angry
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:10pm On Sep 04, 2019
ChristianEast:

These are PRIVATE companies...
Accordingly, SA itself does not own ANY % of them (except perhaps through pension funds).

Nonetheless, those companies are either...
Majority-owned (MTN) or wholly-owned (Shoprite and DSTV) by SA corporate entities.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:12pm On Sep 04, 2019
thesicilian:

Before you talk, think.
Before you criticize, research.

Abegi answer his question...
Many of us are interested. Thanks.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:15pm On Sep 04, 2019
thesicilian:
MTN keeps publicly condemning but never really do anything concrete. They know how to lobby the government to get juicy contracts but when it comes to lobbying their own government to prevent loss of lives and property, their arms are folded.

Abegi which “juicy contracts” did MTN get from the Nigerian govt?
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Jasseyfrd(m): 5:16pm On Sep 04, 2019
Denikayan:
Why!

This is a Breach of contract. Subscribers have been manipulated to believe they come first.

If any security challenges, they can consult the security institutions in the country for protection.

What hurts the most is that I won't have the opportunity to get an iphone X. Was already planning to go hang around MTN Ikoyi just in case it's bursted.

Ur luck mat shine...never give up
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Pure comedy...

Would say rather rich when YOU unsolicitedly responded to my post (and stuck around since)...
But well aware that you may actually not understand the terms you cram and merely regurgitate. SMH
>

First and foremost, I did not to stumble on a profession and most importantly, you and your generations yet unborn can not get to the level that I am professionally. So, do not EVER get it twisted. Now that we've got that straight and out of the way, one more thing I have to say...your last comment is very garbled. I wish you'd learn to write properly. If you fvck the way you write, the world would be in trouble. Enough said!
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:20pm On Sep 04, 2019
Stevewonder004:
No one prays for violence but when you are being treated as if you never existed then "Tit for tat" can only be the bell ringger.

I love Nigerian, we hate ourselves but we hate it most when others treats us like shits even though we almost all the time never treats ourselves better.

My brother can call me an outcast and we will take it as a play cos he is my brother but the day an outsider addresses me in such then it becomes a crime."

we can never find trouble but that doesn't mean we shouldn't welcome him when he comes and refuse to let go.

Abegi, exactly how is it “tit for tat”
Did MTN support, supply, instigate or feed the xenophobic attackers in SA?
shocked
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 5:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

Pure comedy...

>

And please, STOP those emojis, they are very juvenile. They show lack of seriousness. But on second thought, I would not expect nothing better
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:23pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

First and foremost, I did not to stumble on a profession and most importantly, you and your generations yet unborn can not get to the level that I am professionally. So, do not EVER get it twisted. Now that we've got that straight and out of the way, one more thing I have to say...your last comment is very garbled. I wish you'd learn to write properly. If you fvck the way you write, the world would be in trouble. Enough said!

grin grin grin

DUDE, just when you were making some progress stumbling towards a decent profession...
Should have known the crude poor upbringing is never far from the surface. The fruit doesn’t fall far, does it?
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:27pm On Sep 04, 2019
MaNyEsq:

And please, STOP those emojis, they are very juvenile. They show lack of seriousness. But on second thought, I would not expect nothing better

grin grin grin

DUDE is now frightened of emojis...
Do they remind you of your “village people”?! LMAO!!
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
wristbangle:
Both will feel the heat in no particular percentage. By now, you should know MTN largest market is Nigeria. Now imagine if MTN operations licence is revoked here and some other part of Africa countries. Think about it dude

And why should an ordinary Nigerian worker minding his own business “feel the heat” for attacks on his brothers in SA?
Did his employer (MTN) lead, support, supply, instigate or feed the attacks? Why should he join the 25% unemployment market?
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by dangoteinlaw: 5:34pm On Sep 04, 2019
scaramucci:

You can work hard to buy an iPhone X. Don't be like those South Africans.
yen yen oga motivational speaker, gtf out of here
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:37pm On Sep 04, 2019
CrestMan:
UNTIL NIGERIANS STORM DSTV AND THE FG JAM THEIR NETWORK FROM OUR SPACE FOR AT LEAST 3 MONTHS, THAT'S WHEN I WILL TAKE THESE FAKE REACTIONS SERIOUS. lipsrsealed undecided WHY STYLISHLY EXCLUDE DSTV FROM THE ATTACK? tongue

MY PROPOSAL:

LET US NOT WATCH SUPER SPORTS FOR ATLEAST 3 MONTHS SO THAT SOUTH AFRICA WILL FEEL THE HEAT! IF YOU ARE WITH ME CLICK LIKE, IF NOT SHARE angry

grin grin grin

Another Arsenal fan spotted...
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:40pm On Sep 04, 2019
JohnnyOJ:
Serve them right

They are not the only ones suffering...
Innocent Nigerian employees, service providers, suppliers and consumers also are.
>
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by Nobody: 5:48pm On Sep 04, 2019
9jaRealist:

grin grin grin

DUDE, just when you were making some progress stumbling towards a decent profession...
Should have known the crude poor upbringing is never far from the surface. The fruit doesn’t fall far, does it?
>

It's folks like you who do not know when to speak and when to shut up that is the bane of Nigeria. You can't even if your life depends on it realize when you have bitten more than you can chew but as a typical dim wit, you keep burying your self. To claim earlier that I waded into your comment is farthest from the truth. You do not have the intellectual sophistication to write something that I would deem worthy to comment on. That's not my style and I am not wired that way. Although, on very few occasions, I have "liked" a comment here and there but judging by my very limited interaction with you, I seriously doubt if I would ever dignify any of your comments in that manner. I only like comments that are intellectually sound and on issues that piqued by curiosity.
Re: MTN Nigeria Closes Shops Nationwide by 9jaRealist: 5:49pm On Sep 04, 2019
NinjaMetahuman:
if mtn leaves, their facilities won't be uprooted.

At most someone else will take over.
Etisalat left, 9$mobile is running things.

And losing costumers in droves...
The only telecom to lose customers last quarter.

Even when Virgin left Nigeria...
Someone “took over”, but where is it today?
>

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tang Jian: Story Of How Former Millionaire Turned Sausage Seller (Photos) / Forex Trading: How Profitable? / "Eight Nigerian Banks Are Too-Big-To-Fail!" - CBN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.