Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,063 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:29 AM

For The Love Or The Fortune - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / For The Love Or The Fortune (979 Views)

Is This Love Or Lust :: / 5 Factors That Can Break Up A Relationship Even If The Love Is True / Is This Love Or Foolishness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

For The Love Or The Fortune by swiftycool(m): 7:04am On Oct 27, 2010
I often hear of the let down of many Nigerian men on their women on leaving the shores of the country for what they term “the greener pastures”. We have all heard a story or two about a very devoted boyfriend, fiancée or even husband  who left  the shores of Nigeria only to decide to settle abroad after getting married to a white lady with seemingly less class than his and abandoning his former love from way back in Nigeria and even in the new found land. For years I had seen this as a very bad character displayed by our men folk. Anyway, I have learnt not to be quick to judge, besides all the stories I had been hearing were hear-say anyway, until I physically met Jimmy (Not real name) who just got a job in the company I worked in.

Jimmy had been in the UK for up to seven years now after coming for his masters in London, he was a good looking young man with an athletic build, very intelligent and very hardworking. He had a very friendly deposition to those he had become comfortable with, but from afar he looked like an introvert even to the few blacks that worked with us.  At lunch hour he often sat alone not too far from me where he ate his Nigerian traditional meals in the company’s general canteen. It was quite funny to see a guy eating a packed lunch of  “Poundy and vegetable soup” at lunch hour in an “oyinbo” company; the aroma was captivating and the curious eyes that trailed the smell of this Nigerian Eastern traditional delicacy was somewhat embarrassing, I mean imagine now,  as a fellow Naija person.
Well after watching him do the same thing over and over again for weeks, I decided to open a conversation with him one day. That was how I became close friends with Jim and developed a new perspective on the issue I just started discussing earlier. Jim was married with a beautiful year old daughter and lived in a house jointly bought by him and his nice wife. They really seemed happy and at peace now but it came at a price, which brings me to this story.
. . . . . .  .Are u ready 4 this?  just relax
(To be continued)
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by InkedNerd(f): 7:16am On Oct 27, 2010
Oya, I'm waiting undecided
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by jaybee3(m): 7:35am On Oct 27, 2010
Chei u do start ur suspense again ehn shocked shocked shocked
I see u Inked wink You good?
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 27, 2010
Whats the meaning of this now angry angry angry angry
Just continue with the story be4 i loose my temper
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Coolabbie: 8:58am On Oct 27, 2010
Oooooooh which kin ting be dis now
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Dyt(f): 9:03am On Oct 27, 2010
Chei jst abt now dat d story is startin 2 b interestin
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Bim4u: 10:01am On Oct 27, 2010
SwiftyCool,
    You started a new story,Great
Don't put us in 2 much suspend this time ohhh
Loved reading your story and awaiting a new one.
Found something to occupy me
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Mygoldie(f): 10:06am On Oct 27, 2010
i just can't be bothered right now,maybe later. tongue tongue tongue
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Nobody: 2:05pm On Oct 27, 2010
swiftycool pls continue the story we are waiting,

#include<iostream.h>
#include<coni.h>
#include<string.h>

class swiftcool

{ char name[20]

public;
base{strcpy(name, "swiftycool"wink;}
char "waiting(){return name}
void display(){cout<< "\n my class name is "<<waiting();}
};
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by swiftycool(m): 11:47pm On Oct 27, 2010
Jimmy grew up in a comfortable home way back in Nigeria; his parents were well to do and had some very good connections back then. His dad was a successful business man who had investment and trade links with others like himself in various West African countries. His mum was a very popular society lady who dealt in trading international ladies fabrics and jewellery.  His parents both hung out and mixed with fellow wealthy people who were involved in the same business as them. He had grown to know mainly these people since his childhood. He got used to their affluent lifestyle and mixed mainly with their children.

A few years later, while he was in his second year at Uni, he had met and fallen in love with a daughter to one of his Daddy’s main business partners, her name was Lizzy. How exactly they fell in love at that time, he really couldn’t recount, however in retrospect after giving it much thought, he realised their meetings, connections and in fact the entire relationship had been craftily orchestrated somehow by their parents to foster their business relationship through a permanent bond.

Jimmy had it all, he was very popular at his Uni, he drove a flashy car his dad had gotten him and lived off campus in a rented executive one bedroom flat. His clothes were the best designer outfits classed then as most recent and trendy.  Lizzy his girlfriend was the talk of the town; she was beautiful and had almost everything most girls of her age could only dream of. Jimmy took her everywhere she wanted, spending money like it didn’t matter and making headlines on campus. The two were expected to eventually culminate their relationship in a grand wedding ceremony soon after graduation a yet unspoken expectation of their parents of them. It was all happening somewhat automatically and they, being naïve of this kind of experience previously unknowingly fell in love, or was it lust? They never really knew and somehow didn’t really care . . . life was good.

Their relationship was barely two years old when Jim's father’s business took a new dimension. He was just beginning his penultimate year when his dad was invited by some new business associates into some business involving raw gold in Johannesburg, South Africa. It involved his investing lots of monies and was shrouded in great secrecy. His father was quite a greedy fellow, and wanted to make as much from the deal as was possible without letting any of his other friends or associates into it. He borrowed lots of money using almost all his properties as collaterals with the banks, lending societies and even some loaded tycoons. This secret was kept from even his wife as he knew she wouldn’t accept their houses, cars and even expensive personal effects and furnishings to stand for collateral purposes. It was a risk he was totally sure would pay off based on the information got and what he had seen. He was scheming to become really greater than all his peers through this big deal.   

But tragedy began when Jimmy heard his father had suffered a severe stroke. He had to go home and then to the hospital where he saw he was in a very bad state. It was a few days later that the secret came out in the open: His father had been swindled by the fake businessmen he had gone to meet in J’burg. He had lost everything. . .
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Nobody: 12:22am On Oct 28, 2010
i won't read this till it's finsihed i hate suspense,i can die from one
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by swiftycool(m): 6:22am On Oct 28, 2010
After a week, on getting back from the hospital the severity of the entire issue hadn’t yet sunk in for the family until they started receiving letters from the money lenders about the repayment plans and threats of recovering standing collaterals. At this point Jimmy knew everything was turning upside down for him and his family.  Lizzy’s parents were informed about the tragedy by Jim’s mum and they came around days later to see things for themselves and to possibly help out in some way.

They told Lizzy’s dad about everything there was to know and saw the great shock and disappointment in his eyes though he hadn’t spoken; the most perplexing thing to Jim however, was Lizzy’s mum’s reaction when she heard it. She started screaming, this man has finished us o! What is going to happen to my daughter now?!! Jimmy was surprised about this, he reasoned; what did it have to do with their daughter? but decided to keep it to himself and talk to his sweetheart when he got back to campus.
Jimmy had spent a total of three and a half weeks altogether and his father’s condition seemed stable, though his entire left side was completely paralysed and he couldn’t walk. He had to get back to school with the impending doom of the debt recoveries looming towards his family at the back of his mind. His only succour now was Lizzy.

Lizzy listened to his story and really showed genuine concern and spent time trying to comfort him. It wasn’t long before the anticipated deed came to a harsh reality; the message that his parents had to move to the village as their mansion and all their cars had been recovered by the money lenders was delivered to him at school. Life became hard for Jim, he struggled to live a comfortable life, the money was gone and even his car was called as part of the recovery. It was after this that he began to understand fully the deep dynamics of his relationship with Lizzy. She started wouldn't pick his calls, started to behave funny towards him and stopped visiting him as frequently as before, probably because he could not come to pick her up any more due to his lack of a vehicle.   

Life became harder, there was no more money coming from home and he had to survive in school. Being unused to the hustling life, it was so difficult for him. Jim had to walk from his apartment off campus to campus and back which was about 2miles distance each way. He sweated all the way to and fro whatever weather it was; he had to save as much money as he could and manage the little he was left with. One rainy day while walking, a car sped past him splashing some water on him while he jumped off the road about to rain abuses on the driver, only to notice from a distance Lizzy was in the passenger’s seat laughing with the driver and totally oblivious of him, he was livid with rage as he felt the few pillars left of his world come crashing down. . . .
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 28, 2010
R u trying to form this story or what?This one that u r keeping us in suspense
Na wa ooo
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by Nobody: 5:41pm On Nov 23, 2010
Hey, I have a story to tell . . . wink wink
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by richydav: 4:57pm On Feb 14, 2011
this is indeed a lesson to be learnt yet unending
Re: For The Love Or The Fortune by alfchye(m): 8:15pm On Feb 15, 2011
when is dis story going to finish?

(1) (Reply)

What Make(s) Men To Patronize Prostitutes? / Decoding Those Female Languages! / Na Wa Y 9ja Girls Too Like Money? Sorry Oooooooo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.