Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,712 members, 7,816,922 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:16 PM

Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh (3075 Views)

Hon. Obinna Onwubuariri, The YOUNGEST LAWMAKER Tours His Constituency! / Press Release: Senate Is Solidly Behind Senate President, Bukola Saraki / PDP Offers N200B For Tinubu To Accept Interim VP Slot. - Obinna (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by jason12345: 12:59pm On Oct 28, 2010
OYB_MEND:

I don't how much Uzo or Ralph was paid but they should advance their personal agenda through other means

People should leave ethnicity and tribalism out of politics

Ohaneze Ndigbo should not endorse anybody.

GBAM!!!!

whether a yoruba, igbo or hausa man becomes the president. this does not mean he would develop his region more than any other region. onlytruth, whether ibb or an igbo man becomes the president, it does not mean he would develop SE more than the rest of the country.

these leaders are corrupt!!! they don't care about regions, all they care about is their pockets and how they will send their children abroad for education.!!!

this is the time to vote the best candidate for nigeria, not for SE!!! we have all been battered, bruised and wounded by tribal politics. protect your vote and let your say count!!!

i personally would vote for GJ, because he is the "brigde", he is the best person for this "transition".

that does not mean you should vote for GJ. make you vote count!!! smiley
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Moves: 1:15pm On Oct 28, 2010
While I dont support his endorsement of Jonathan, I do believe it was done in prism of the aim and achieve the long agitation of Ndigbo producing a president in 2015, and as he said of all contenders jonathan is the only one that cannot go for a second term,
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by udezue(m): 3:46pm On Oct 28, 2010
Man Obinna Uzoh should zip it. Who is he anyway?
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by ChinenyeN(m): 4:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
Wonders never cease. . . this "Apex Igbo Organization" should stop confusing itself and remove its hands from politics. Nonsense. Andre, enough. Which ndi Igbo? Please. Quit trying so hard to defend Ohanaeze in all its confusion.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 4:16pm On Oct 28, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Wonders never cease. . . this "Apex Igbo Organization" should stop confusing itself and remove its hands from politics. Nonsense. Andre, enough. Which ndi Igbo? Please. Quit trying so hard to defend Ohanaeze in all its confusion.
When consultations are made, they do not come individuals for their views but Igbo organisations. You rely a lot on Nairaland to know about this consultations. Am not surprised this is coming from an anti Ohanaeze chieftain like you.
Take it or leave it, consultations were made which am very aware of it. Opinions might be divided but that is obtainable in other areas of Nigeria.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by ChinenyeN(m): 4:23pm On Oct 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

When consultations are made, they do not come individuals for their views but Igbo organisations. You rely a lot on Nairaland to know about this consultations. Am not surprised this is coming from an anti Ohanaeze chieftain like you.
Take it or leave it, consultations were made which am very aware of it.  Opinions might be divided but that is obtainable in other areas of Nigeria.
Andre, don't get overexcited, tossing nonsense words, like "anti Ohanaeze chieftain". This is not an issue of anti/pro anything. Rather, this is about the fact that this organization is steadily dipping its socio-cultural hand where it shouldn't be dipped into. What they're doing is unfounded, plain and simple. If they want, they can develop their own political organization with Igbo political interests. There would be no argument against that, but what this "apex organization" is currently doing now, is simply nonsense and confusion.

I hope this organization is prepared to carry the blame and shame that comes with playing politics. Nonsense.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 4:38pm On Oct 28, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Andre, don't get overexcited, tossing nonsense words, like "anti Ohanaeze chieftain". This is not an issue of anti/pro anything. Rather, this is about the fact that this organization is steadily dipping its socio-cultural hand where it shouldn't be dipped into. What they're doing is unfounded, plain and simple. If they want, they can develop their own political organization with Igbo political interests. There would be no argument against that, but what this "apex organization" is currently doing now, is simply nonsense and confusion.

I hope this organization is prepared to carry the blame and shame that comes with playing politics. Nonsense.
I think you are the one who is overexcited. ''Man is by nature a political animal''-Aristotle. Hence as humans, they have a right to to be involved in any thing that affects their group politically. Remember, when you are talking about culture (as in Ohanaeze), you are taling about the peoples way of life which includes culture.
The Igbo Union cum Ohanaeze has at one time or the other involved in descision making for their group e.g NCNC, NPP etc.
They know better than you and I.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by ChinenyeN(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2010
I won't argue this with you for two reasons. 1) Not worth it. 2) You're a polarized, Ohanaeze devout, as it would appear. So you carry on with your political organization. There are more than enough people who are questioning the nonsense & confusion and are rightfully against, or just outrightly ignoring all of these silly endorsements & political hand-dipping.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 4:53pm On Oct 28, 2010
^^^Do not let others decide for you. Go out there and air your views on what happens. Posting utter nonsense upon nonsense on nairaland will not argue your course. Get involved.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by ChinenyeN(m): 4:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
I stated before, I'm not here to argue anything, and no I won't get involved. I'm only one person, and I typically don't take sides. So I can't begin to get involved, in the first place. Aside from that, there are plenty of players in the game, an extra like me isn't necessary.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by chyz1: 4:59pm On Oct 28, 2010
The endorsement of jonathan under the mission statement of Ohanaeze Ndigbo is allowed. One of the key point of the organization is to protect Igbo interest in every endeavor, which includes politics. Because of the high level of sell-out "Igbo leaders" for personal interest by supporting IBB so that then these so-called "Igbo leaders" would be the one to occupy the government positions come 2015, Ohanaeze possibly saw this as a need to step in. The move by these many "leaders" through a big cork into our progression as an enthic group in nigeria. This major action had to be taken. It was quiet clear that they other group did not sit down and consult widely before coming up with the endorsement of a northerner.What they had in mind is "Igbo Presidency", which is not a smart way of going about things. The way Uwechue handled this matter is the way a true leader would have handle it. Just my thoughts.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 5:19pm On Oct 28, 2010
@Chyz, as usual, your thoughts are wise. For many months, this impasse lingered on, Ohanaeze was not in a hurry to step in but at a stage, they had no choice as our people were heading to no where. After consultations and consultations and based on opinions of most Igbo associations, they made a choice.
Ohanaeze Ndi Igbo is cultural but when occasion demands, they interfere in politics.
Suggesting that Ohanaeze should not step a foot in politics is like suggesting that the Army should not step foot in Aba because it is the duty of the police in that city to maintain law and order.
Thanks to Uwaechue, majority of Ndigbo are in your support.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 5:26pm On Oct 28, 2010
Frankly, I think that it is very very bad for any Igbo to accuse Uwechue of "selling Ndigbo" because he is from south south. This is the type of silly mindset that defeats our collective objectives in Nigeria. Anyone making such claims should have their heads examined.

As I said before, Uwechue has demonstrated uncommon leadership as the head of Ohananeze, mainly because of his diplomatic and consultative skills. He never made this endorsement alone. He consulted. Of course, as Ndigbo, there will always be dissenting opinions. No one will force you to vote for anyone ultimately; but, Ndigbo must learn to speak with one voice on ANY issue in Nigeria.

Of course in time, there will be a more democratic way of seeking the opinions of Igbo masses at critical times (eg, through straw polls). For now, we can make do with a broad consultation by the Ohanaeze chieftains.

For the record, I have never seen Ohanaeze this organized, focused and mature for a very loooooooooong time. All credit should go to Uwechue. For me, the issue is not about Jonathan. The issue is about Igbo speaking with one powerful voice. We are gradually getting there.  cool
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 5:35pm On Oct 28, 2010
Onlytruth:

Frankly, I think that it is very very bad for any Igbo to accuse Uwechue of "selling Ndigbo" because he is from south south. This is the type of silly mindset that defeats our collective objectives in Nigeria. Anyone making such claims should have their heads examined.

As I said before, Uwechue has demonstrated uncommon leadership as the head of Ohananeze, mainly because of his diplomatic and consultative skills. He never made this endorsement alone. He consulted. Of course, as Ndigbo, there will always be dissenting opinions. No one will force you to vote for anyone ultimately; but, Ndigbo must learn to speak with one voice on ANY issue in Nigeria.

Of course in time, there will be a more democratic way of seeking the opinions of Igbo masses at critical times (eg, through straw polls). For now, we can make do with a broad consultation by the Ohanaeze chieftains.

For the record, I have never seen Ohanaeze this organized, focused and mature for a very loooooooooong time. All credit should go to Uwechue. For me, the issue is not about Jonathan. The issue is about Igbo speaking with one powerful voice. We are gradually getting there. cool
May your days be long Nwa Nnewi.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 28, 2010
I think Ohaneze is taking a worthless risk

Jonathan has not proposed any set of policies that conform to what we want. He has not talked about devolution of powers, state policing, I honestly don't see him even being able to deliver resource control because he will simply be a weak leader with no real political clout to influence the National Assembly.

So I don't know the point of this endorsement. Ohaneze is risking an internal crisis by this endorsement because while some might claim there were consultations was there any special convention where this decision was taken? how did Ohaneze arive at this decision? did anybody take any votes? is this not a unilateral decision?

I respect the decision of those who support Jonathan, but please let no one tell me it is the moral choice for Igbos and anyone who does not support it must be selling their souls. That is a very ridiculous ascertion.
And if eventually there is clear divisions and fault lines in Ohaneze over this decision then Ralph Uwechue should be held responsible.

Ohaneze does not have to endorse anybody. Ralph Uwechue can go and for a Political Action Group for Jonathan if he likes.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 5:55pm On Oct 28, 2010
Andre Uweh:

May your days be long Nwa Nnewi.

Thank you my bro, and may your lineage always produce kings!
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 5:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
I think there is clearly something wrong when Ohaneze takes a decision that alienates folks like

Alex Ekwueme, Chukwuma Soludo, Jim Nwobodo, Ken Nnamani, Apugo, Chinwe Obaji, ABC Nwosu, Udenwa, Egwu etc.

These are big wigs in Igboland and if Ohaneze has taken a position that excludes these folks It will really be nice to know why

And by the way, those thinking Jonathan will handover to Igbos in 2015 should grow up and wake up from their slumber. This is democracy any zoning decisions (as much as I dislike that concept) will be made in consultation and fairness. Jonathan can not handover to anybody he likes because Ralph Uwechue says so. Except somebody somewhere is looking for an even bigger crisis in 2015.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by MetalGong4: 6:04pm On Oct 28, 2010
Ralph Uwaeche and his Ohaneze leadership are on their own . . . . Jonathan is a bad choice for Ndigbo!!!
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 6:05pm On Oct 28, 2010
mikeansy:

I think there is clearly something wrong when Ohaneze takes a decision that alienates folks like

Alex Ekwueme, Chukwuma Soludo, Jim Nwobodo, Ken Nnamani, Apugo, Chinwe Obaji, ABC Nwosu, Udenwa, Egwu etc.

These are big wigs in Igboland and[b] if Ohaneze has taken a position that excludes these folks It will really be nice to know why [/b]

Bro Mike I thought about the same thing too. Not that I'm sure, but if you take a careful look at these folks you mentioned, you would see that they are ALL politicians with personal ambitions. Would you rather believe them than dully elected Ohanaeze chieftains with NO KNOWN political ambitions?
Who do you think will likely sell out Ndigbo? I'm really trying not to be presumptuous here. I just think that Ohanaeze's ONLY duty is to fight for and defend Igbo interests. These politicians don't owe us anything, after all we never elected them to speak for us. They are Nigerian politicians.  We elected Ohanaeze to speak for us. So, unless you have concrete evidence to show that Ohanaeze leadership is really a bunch of scoundrels, I really think I would trust them more than politicians.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 6:26pm On Oct 28, 2010
Onlytruth:

Bro Mike I thought about the same thing too. Not that I'm sure, but if you take a careful look at these folks you mentioned, you would see that they are ALL politicians with personal ambitions. Would you rather believe them than dully elected Ohanaeze chieftains with NO KNOWN political ambitions?
Who do you think will likely sell out Ndigbo? I'm really trying not to be presumptuous here. I just think that Ohanaeze's ONLY duty is to fight for and defend Igbo interests. These politicians don't owe us anything, after all we never elected them to speak for us. They are Nigerian politicians. We elected Ohanaeze to speak for us. So, unless you have concrete evidence to show that Ohanaeze leadership is really a bunch of scoundrels, I really think I would trust them more than politicians.

Yes we elected Ohaneze to speak for us but we did not abdicate our democratic responsibilities to them, Ohaneze has no business choosing a candidate not least when the candidate in question is not its member. Ohaneze should have remained neutral let uwechue and co launch other groups to advance their politics if they choose.

On those guys I mentioned being Politicians please what ambition does Ekwueme have at his age now? Please let us not speculate on the motivations driving the actions of these men because if we do, we can also speculate on what drives Ralph Uwechue's sentiments and actions.

sencondly Jonathan Goodluck is not such a great candidate to risk the political future or influence of Ohaneze on. He will be a very mediocre leader who will not achieve much. I understand the sentiments for Jonathan and I can tell you how much I would have loved to carry his cross but it is simply not worth it. Jonathan would have won this election ages ago by showing the traits of a true leader but he simply has not got it.

Nobody learns to make their left arm their favourite hand at old age. Jonathan simply has not got and that is why this debate keeps going on. Forget the noise about zoning and what have you. All that noise would have died since if Jonathan could actually lead.

Thirdly and most seriously. The notion that it is possible to sustain zoning and yet have Jonathan handover directly to a SouthEasterner is simply hot air and it makes me wonder how much thought process goes into Uwechue's pronouncements.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 6:30pm On Oct 28, 2010
Onlytruth

Do not also forget the story of Joe Achuzia when he was chairman of Ohaneze.

This is how he went ahead to endorse OBJ's third term and that decision factionalised Ohaneze. So we have seen this kind of behaviour before.

So Uwechue should leave politics for Politicians and insulate Ohaneze from Politics no matter how noble he may think his agenda may be.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by playmode(m): 6:31pm On Oct 28, 2010
Walks in*****hisses*****and exits.  grin
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Ibime(m): 6:57pm On Oct 28, 2010
I hope this is not the Obinna Uzoh I think it is.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by AndreUweh(m): 8:08pm On Oct 28, 2010
mikeansy:

Onlytruth

Do not also forget the story of Joe Achuzia when he was chairman of Ohaneze.

This is how he went ahead to endorse OBJ's third term and that decision factionalised Ohaneze. So we have seen this kind of behaviour before.

So Uwechue should leave politics for Politicians and insulate Ohaneze from Politics no matter how noble he may think his agenda may be.
Mike I do respect your opinion, but it is worthy to note that the Ohanaeze of today led by Uwaechue is totally different from the Ohanaeze of Achuzia days. Prior to the endorsement of Jonathan, there were wild consultations home and abroad. I am an Igbo Youth leader here in London, and I knew very well when the consultation were going on.
It does not mean every Igbo will vote for GEJ. My point is-there were consultations.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 1:10am On Oct 30, 2010
[size=18pt]Split in Ohanaeze Over Jonathan[/size]

By Obiora Ifoh Assistant Editor, Abuja

There is a split in Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the pan-Igbo socio-cultural organisation, over its purported endorsement of Goodluck Jonathan for President in 2011.

The endorsement is the personal agenda of Ohanaeze President General, Ralph Uwechue, so declared on Thursday by the organisation’s Assistant Legal Adviser, Onyibo Chukwu, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from Enugu State.

[b]Chukwu told reporters in Abuja that the matter was never discussed by any of the three organs by which Ohanaeze takes critical decisions: the National Executive Committee (NEC), Ime Obi, and National Assembly.

‘’It was never discussed in any of the organs. What (Uwechue) is doing is basically carrying out a personal agenda,” he stated.

‘’I am a PDP member and a strong supporter of (Jonathan) but if Ohanaeze has to endorse him, it has to be done with decorum and not through this ambush tactics of Ralph Uwechue.”

Chukwu warned that Uwechue “must not be allowed to bring crisis into Ohanaeze. He is using this his pro-Jonathan project to blackmail Ndigbo’.

‘’He is putting the Igbo race into a very serious dilemma. We want to maintain good relationship with the people of the South South but not through this personal aggrandisement of one man.

‘’The way Uwechue is going about it will certainly jeopardise Jonathan’s chances among the Igbo. So many of our prominent sons and daughters are already saddened by this manner of ambush Uwechue has adopted.

“If care is not taken, it will affect Jonathan’s chances adversely in Igboland.”

Chukwu said there will be a NEC meeting of Ohanaeze on October 30 where the unilateral endorsement of Jonathan by Uwechue will be tabled for discussion.

Asked why Ohanaeze is funding the media advertisements of the endorsement if it was not a collective decision, Chukwu explained that, ‘’that statement by Ralph Uwechue, I have told you, is unauthorised, it was never discussed at any Ohanaeze organ and the media advertisements you are referring to are not being funded by Ohanaeze.

“We don’t have that kind of money. Only God knows where Uwechue gets the money with which he is funding these massive media advertisements. Certainly Ohanaeze, of which I am the Assistant National Legal Adviser, does not have a hand in it.”[/b]

It is being speculated that Uwechue is under intense pressure to leave office next month but he is said to be fighting back.

He is pushing for tenure elongation to complete the projects he initiated; one of which is the ‘Jonathan for President in 2011.’

South East Governors had on September 26 displayed their hands by endorsing Jonathan, to deliver on their promise to back the candidate with the best programme for the zone.

South East Assembly Speakers have also endorsed Jonathan.

However, the leaders of the North and South East who met in Abuja last month pledged to produce a Nigerian President of Igbo extraction in 2015.

In the meantime, the five South East Governors – Peter Obi (Anambra), Theodore Orji (Abia), Sullivan Chime (Enugu), Martin Elechi (Ebonyi), and Ikedi Ohakim (Imo) – met in Enugu and decided to pitch their tent with Jonathan.

The communiqué issued after the meeting was read out to journalists by Obi, the Chairman of the South East Governors’ Forum.

He said they declared their support for Jonathan “in keeping with our earlier decision to back the candidate with the best programme that would address the marginalisation of the zone and political imbalance in Nigeria.”

The communiqué urged all delegates of PDP from the zone “to vote en bloc” for Jonathan in the party’s primaries.

The Governors decried the way certain groups organise summits in the zone and drop their names without authorisation.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 1:13am On Oct 30, 2010
Andrew Uweh & Onlytruth

Above is a comment from the National Legal Adviser of Ohaneze Ndigbo and a self confessed supporter of Jonathan.

This confirms that Ralph Uwechue is exploiting his office on this issue and taking a unilateral decision.

The truth must be held up at all times.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5635825-147/ohanaeze_leaders_disagree_over_jonathan_support.csp
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 1:42am On Oct 30, 2010
mikeansy:

Andrew Uweh & Onlytruth

Above is a comment from the[b] National Legal Adviser of Ohaneze Ndigbo[/b] and a self confessed supporter of Jonathan.

This confirms that Ralph Uwechue is exploiting his office on this issue and taking a unilateral decision.

The truth must be held up at all times.

http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/News/5635825-147/ohanaeze_leaders_disagree_over_jonathan_support.csp

The endorsement is the personal agenda of Ohanaeze President General, Ralph Uwechue, so declared on Thursday by the organisation’s Assistant Legal Adviser, Onyibo Chukwu, a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from Enugu State.

C'mon now Mike! Where is the National Legal Adviser? This is obviously one official speaking through the back window. I need to hear from the first level officials contradicting Uwechue. I have not seen that happen yet. undecided

I hope you don't expect never to see one dodgy character or the other coming out to say whatever they want.
There is no limit to deputies in any organization. There is even the deputy assistant under secretary.  grin grin
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Nobody: 1:50am On Oct 30, 2010
Onlytruth:

C'mon now Mike! Where is the National Legal Adviser? This is obviously one official speaking through the back window. I need to hear from the first level officials contradicting Uwechue. I have not seen that happen yet. undecided

I hope you don't expect never to see one dodgy character or the other coming out to say whatever they want.
There is no limit to deputies in any organization. There is even the deputy assistant under secretary.  grin grin

I thought we were told there was "WIDE" consultations?

That the National Legal Adviser is not in the know even when he is a Goodluck supporter is troubling.

He said there was no NEC meeting, Imeobi or National Assembly where critical decisions are taken. The only way to debunk Nwobi's claim is to advice us of when the NEC or Imeobi meeting was held.

Anything less than that, we can not dismiss the National Legal Adviser on issues concerning Ohaneze and its workings.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by marcdunu: 2:04am On Oct 30, 2010
But Jonathan said the office of President is and was never zoned, rather after a President emerges other offices get shared.

Why does Ralph Uwechue believe that a President who does not believe in zoing the office of President will zone the Presidency to South East come 2015 in consecutive successions?

Who is fooling who?

Ralph Uwechue must be kicked out nex month, I will be mobilising for his removal.
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 2:21am On Oct 30, 2010
mikeansy:

I thought we were told there was "WIDE" consultations?

That the National Legal Adviser is not in the know even when he is a Goodluck supporter is troubling.

He said there was no NEC meeting, Imeobi or National Assembly where critical decisions are taken. The only way to debunk Nwobi's claim is to advice us of when the NEC or Imeobi meeting was held.

Anything less than that, we can not dismiss the National Legal Adviser on issues concerning Ohaneze and its workings.

That is why I said that you should not expect that EVERY Ohanaeze operative (even a dodgy assistant legal adviser -whatever that means) to fall behind Uwechue. Ohanaeze is not a government. It has no power to sanction any of its officials because each represents a segment of Igbo states. Why haven't we heard from the SECRETARY, or PUBLICITY SECRETARY or any other TOP LEVEL official? It only means that there is a unanimity among the NEC of Ohanaeze on this issue.
I don't know who this guy is. undecided Tomorrow someone claiming another minuscule position of leadership would come out (after being compromised of course undecided undecided) to tell us another thing. This is part of why I hate cacophony masquerading as republicanism. Igbo must speak with ONE voice, for good or for ill.
I stand with Uwechue. cool cool cool
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 3:47am On Oct 30, 2010
[size=14pt]National Assembly and challenges of fair representation[/size]

By Emeka Umeagbalasi

In 1954, Nigeria opted for Federal System of government, which was retained by subsequent constitutions including the constitution of Nigeria 1999. The federalism started with three regions in 1946/51, four regions in 1963, 12 states in 1967, 19 states in 1976, 21 states in 1987, 30 states in 1991 and 36 states and 774 local government areas in 1996.

At the 1994 Constitutional Conference and in the 1995 Draft Constitution, Nigeria was divided into six geo-political zones of the North West, the North East, the North Central, the South East, the South South and the South West.

50 years after, it is entirely correct to say that there is no equity in the Nigerian federalism, especially in the areas of distribution of national wealth, both human and material wealth, and creation and allocation of states and local government areas. It is on the basis of the foregoing that we critically examined how the Southeast geopolitical zone had fared in the Nigerian federalism in the past 50 years and sadly observed that the zone had been brutally maltreated in many areas including fiscal allocations and allocations of States and Local Government Areas to the zone.     For instance, it is a universal tradition that population, not landmass, is used when creating states and local government areas, but in Nigeria’s case, the reverse seemed to be the case.

thorough check at the allocation of states and local government areas per geo-political zone in Nigeria shows that the Northwest is allocated with seven states, the Northeast six States, the North Central six States, the South South six states, the South West six states, whereas the South East got five states. In the area of Local Government creation, out of the 774 Local Government Areas in Nigeria, the Northwest got 180 LGAs, the Northeast 122 LGAs, the North Central and the FCT 117 LGAs, the Southwest 137 LGAs, the South South 123 LGAs and the Southeast 95 LGAs. Also the old Kano State, comprising Kano and Jigawa States got 75 LGAs (Kano -44 and Jigawa -31) as against Southeast’s 95 LGAs. Lagos State with a population of about 14million got mere 20 LGAs.

In the area of fiscal allocations, the story was and still is the same. In the block allocations totaling N16.447trillion generated and shared among the three tiers of government in Nigeria between 1999 and 2007, a period of 8 years, the following observations were made: the South South got N2.5trillion, the South West N1.410trillion, the South East N918bn, the Northwest N1.72trillion, the North East N1.169trillion and the North Central N1.119trillion.

Kano State got N370.93bn as against Lagos State’s N331.9bn. Also, out of the sum of N339bn spent on Federal Roads in Nigeria between June 1999 and September 2002, the three geo-political zones in the old North got N192bn  as against N147bn spent in the three geopolitical zones in the old South. In the area of the sum of N147bn spent in old South, South South got N63bn, South West N54bn and South East N30bn.

Furthermore, the use of North South formula in determining the Presidency of the country is grossly lopsided, anachronistic and a threat to Nigerian federalism. Over the years, this dead formula has perpetually kept the Presidency to two old regions of “North” and “West” and perpetually sidelined two other important old Regions of “East” and “Mid West/Middle-belt”. The foregoing burning issues formed the backbone of our letter to the South East Governors’ Forum, dated October 1, 2010 and titled: Nigeria At 50: It Is Time To Think Home.  Also, in recognition of the legislative powers entrusted in the hands of the National Assembly by the 1999 constitution, we addressed another important letter to them, dated October 13, 2010.

As we all know, history only recognizes landmark achievements recorded by persons and bodies including parliaments. History records the late Lord Denning as a great expansionist Law-Lord in the UK. History also remembers the second Republic National Assembly of Nigeria for enacting the African Charter on Human and Peoples Rights and the National Open University of Nigeria Acts in 1983.
History has also taken notice of the enactment of the Nigeria Police Service Commission Act of 2001, the EFCC and ICPC Acts of 2000/2001 by the fourth Republic National Assembly of Nigeria. History does not seem to record the mere passage into law of Appropriation and supplementary Appropriation Bills. Therefore, we want to place it on the parliamentary and public records that there is need to constitutionally divide Nigeria’s six geopolitical zones into a 42- state structure in the following way: North West-zero State, North East one State, Southwest one State, South South one state and South East two states.

The monumental imbalance inherent in the number of and allocation of LGAs will also be redressed in such a way that the Northwest that has 180 LGAs will be disallowed more new LGAs, while other geopolitical zones especially the Southeast zone should be directed to create more LGAs to catch up with the Northwest that already has 180 LGAs.

The “principle of uniformity” created by the 1976 Local Government Reforms may be invoked in this respect. The grossly lopsided revenue sharing formulae should be reworked as well. While we reject in its entirety the allocation ( in principle) of the Nigeria’s Presidency on the basis of “North South”, it is our humbly view that the 1999 constitution,  should be altered to provide for the rotation of same among the six geopolitical zones on the basis of a single term of five years.

Though it is less than eight months to the end of the life of the present National Assembly, but the sooner these issues are critically examined and incorporated into our mother-law, the better for the Nigerian federalism. The Nigerian concept of democracy shall be “a democracy with local contents that is not repugnant to the international standards”.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/10/national-assembly-and-challenges-of-fair-representation/
Re: Ohaneze Solidly Behing Ibb - Obinna Uzoh by Onlytruth(m): 3:55am On Oct 30, 2010
This is why I try my best to educate Igbo people about the need for SPEAKING WITH ONE VOICE.

I'm not a "Solomon", but I started arguing with far older men over this same issue when I was only 14 years.

I remember arguing with one man who by my estimation would be around 50 years when I was 15 years old over the same issue. He kept trying to intimidate me into accepting that Igbo lack of one voice is a good thing. I stood my grounds and told him he was wrong.
There is NO WAY we can get our dues in Nigeria or even push for any agenda without speaking with one voice.

In my book, the most foolish Igbo man/woman is anyone telling me that our lack of one voice is a good thing. IT IS NOT.
In fact it is TERRIBLE.

That is why we are cheated on all counts in Nigeria.

The most foolish lion is one which dares to take on a pack of buffaloes alone. It will be trampled to death.

NDIIGBO, LEARN TO ACCEPT WHAT YOUR LEADERS TELL YOU. FOLLOW THEM. IT IS NOT FOOLISHNESS. IT IS WISDOM
Enuf said. cool cool

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As Oil Producing Communities In Abia Begin To 'enjoy' Dividents Of Oil / . / Withdraw From Presidential Race, Igbo Group Tells Buhari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 120
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.