Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:08 AM

The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You (36849 Views)

Don't Let Anyone Lick Your Private, It's Demonic - Rev. Bernard Achiuior / The Bible Does Not Blame Women For Prostitution And Jezebel But Evil Men / Don't Let Anyone Lie To You That Christmas Is A Pagan Festival (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by whirlwind7(m): 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

What is wrong with you?

Didn't I just showed you that "Look not at" means don't lust after it? Don't Christians see alcohol placed on shelves along the road? But looking at it then lusting and craving for it, such attitude is what the Bible warns against. You are making it sound as if the Bible says we should pluck out our eyes so as not to see alcohol.

Same way the Bible warns against looking at a woman with lust in our eyes is the same way we are not to look at alcohol.

Nigga please.

Stop chasing shadows. Answer that simple question and quit being half smart.

If God forbids alcohol and it is sinful for man to consume it, why then does God allow man to produce it and offer it to God in worship as seen in the book of Numbers 28:7 ?

Give me a logical response to this.

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2019
gobuchinny:

You guys never cease to amaze me grin you hinge all you beliefs on the old covenants but yet you wont do d whole law deut 14 vs 26 nko grin abet no be dia una get the tithe teaching? So y now the booze aspect na other story. HYPOCRITE!!

Paul left instructions for being a deacon that he should not drink TOO MUCH wine. Oga wine back in d days had alcohol. Nothing like fruit wine. He told Timothy to use a little wine even till today a little alcohol can help your stomach upset. The point is drinking and not getting drunk. Even too much food is sin grin

Stop quoting wrong translation. The Bible didn't say too much wine. It simply says not to drink wine.

1 Timothy 3:2-3 (KJV)
2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Stay away from all these other Bible versions, they will lead you to hell. Stick with the King James Version. Read link below to see why.

https://www.nairaland.com/4957299/bible-sword-butter-knife-why
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 1:50pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Stop quoting wrong translation. The Bible didn't say too much wine. It simply says not to drink wine.

2 A bishop then must be blameless, the husband of one wife, vigilant, sober, of good behaviour, given to hospitality, apt to teach;
3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous;

Stay away from all these other Bible versions, they will lead you to hell. Stick with the King James Version. Read link below to see why.

Oga read vs 8 naa
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 1:51pm On Sep 08, 2019
whirlwind7:

Nigga please.

Stop chasing shadows. Answer that simple question and quit being half smart.

If God forbids alcohol and it is sinful for man to consume it, why then does God allow man to produce it and offer it to God in worship as seen in the book of Numbers?

Give me a logical response to this.

Doesn't God have the right to demand for whatever he wants?
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

I read only KJV but apparently you dont read it at all.

Vs 8 ".....not given to much wine"
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Frankiss44(m): 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

No, they are a source of Joy to the Christ I preach. That same Christ was more harsh than I was against those who preached false doctrine. Remember how he almost dedicated a whole chapter towards saying "Woe to you Pharisees" as seen in Matthew 23:13-39.

Remember how he labeled a whole generation vipers.

Matthew 12:34-37 (KJV)
O generation of vipers, how can ye, being evil, speak good things? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

If Jesus was the one typing on Nairaland, you would tell him he is not the Christ. Same mistake people of old made that made them kill him.

You are a confused soul.. You keep calling people goat, daft and or manner of names and you are talking rubbish.. People like you give Christianity a false name

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by echibuogwu(m): 1:53pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Any food with sugar contains trace amount of alcohol. When alcohol is heightened, that's where the problem lies.

When we eat such food, we don't even have alcohol in mind. But when drink alcohol, you have it mind to do so.
and now that u know there is alcohol in sugar and some food we eat then stop eating such foods, if u continue then u are not different from people consuming alcoholic drinks

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Adroit144(m): 1:53pm On Sep 08, 2019
You better understand English.. there is nothing like alcoholic wine or non alcoholic wine . wine automatically means an alcoholic drink made from grape

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by echibuogwu(m): 1:54pm On Sep 08, 2019
Then I have the right to demand whatever I want to.
alBHAGDADI:

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 1:55pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Continue to play God u hia. God's mediator and advocate ;Deut 14 vs 26 since you guys like to quote old testament. God told them to buy wine(that historically proves to contain some alcohol) and strong drink (liquor) grin

Drink responsibly. That all. Your life is in your hands

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 1:56pm On Sep 08, 2019
Adroit144:
You better understand English.. there is nothing like alcoholic wine or non alcoholic wine . wine automatically means an alcoholic drink made from grape

He doesn't understand brother. He need a crash course in fermentation and wine production grin

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2019
gobuchinny:

Oga read vs 8 naa

First, when Solomon said, “Do not be overly wicked” (Ecclesiastes 7:17—NKJV [“overwicked”—NIV; “overmuch wicked”—ASV]),

Did he mean to imply that a person can, with God’s approval, be moderately wicked? When Peter noted that pagans do not understand why Christians do not engage in the “same excess of riot” (1 Peter 4:4), did he mean moderate rioting was appropriate?

Therefore, "too much wine" stated there DOESN'T mean we can indulge in it but not in excess.

Paul was spotlighting an individual who is known for drinking freely of alcoholic beverages. He was saying that no such person should be put into the eldership. A parallel would be to make an observation about a person who carouses and parties every night
—“do not put such a man into the eldership!”
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 1:59pm On Sep 08, 2019
Brighte:
Alcohol is good but you spend money on it for you to get high. But you don't need money to by holy spirit for you to get high by the most High God.
Brother.... You're filled with the Holy Spirit !!!!!!

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 2:00pm On Sep 08, 2019
echibuogwu:
Then I have the right to demand whatever I want to.

Then you have equated yourself with God

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by whirlwind7(m): 2:00pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Silly answer.
I don't blame you anyway. Your types are all over the place, preaching rubbish to folks who couldn't study God's word by themselves.

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by athorello(m): 2:03pm On Sep 08, 2019
TVSA:
John 2:10 KJV
And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now.

English is hard for some people. What made the men drunk? is it not the good wine they drank? Or you want to tell us the "drunk" isn't intoxication? grin grin

Learn English first, the "drunk" there is the past participle of "drink" like when you've drunk water. Good (expensive) wine, bad (cheap) wine, not necessarily the alcohol content. If I'm to even follow your baseless logic, good wine should be strong wine. undecided

@op, So drink offering was actually Shnapps. Learning everyday. Proverbs is not the law. Common sense even tells you that alcoholism is bad.

I'm a pentecostal but most of you are on over drive. You know Bible more than catholics and JW. I even believe that the wine used for the passover/Lord's super/communion was even alcoholic. Else, how could some get drunk from the communion wine?
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 2:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

When they want to be foolish, they rush to the Greek word.

The verse you are trying to counter says Well Drunk. Well is an adjective. As used in John 2:10, it means they have drank well enough, not gotten drunk like a drunkard. I can drink water well enough. But does that make me a drinksrd like those on alcohol?

The word drunken doesn't always mean drunk of alcohol. Don't you understand English? I can be drunken from water. It simply means I have drank enough water. Some of the passage you quoted shows that drunken as used is talking about alcohol e.g Acts 2:15 because people don't usually drink alcohol during the day but at night. But don't people drink water at all times? Yes they do, so we see that the verse speaks of alcohol.

But 1 Corinthians 11:21 speaks of fruit juice type of wine. You can be drunk of fruit juice i.e drink too much of it. This doesn't mean you are drunk like alcoholics. Paul was simply warning the Christians against the idea that the Lord's Supper was an avenue to eat and drink too much. He was simply saying, "go to your house if you want to eat and drink till you are filled. The Lord's Supper is not for such". That's why it's just a tiny piece of bread and small cup of wine that gets served at Holy Communion. This is done to prevent people from thinking the Lord's Supper is a feast.

1 Corinthians 11:20-22 King James Version (KJV)
When ye come together therefore into one place, this is not to eat the Lord's supper.
For in eating every one taketh before other his own supper: and one is hungry, and another is drunken.
What? have ye not houses to eat and to drink in? or despise ye the church of God, and shame them that have not? what shall I say to you? shall I praise you in this? I praise you not.
See op, it's a sin to misinterpret the Bible, get your facts well. Thanks

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by echibuogwu(m): 2:04pm On Sep 08, 2019
Lol. See how stupid u are... so because I have the right to demand for anything means I’m equal to God Everybody have the right to demand whatever they want, but u can’t always get everything you demand. That’s why God is different from us, God always Get whatever he wants. So young man, go and read ur bible and stop being foolish. U clearly know nothing about the Bible.
alBHAGDADI:

Then you have equated yourself with God

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 2:05pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

First, when Solomon said, “Do not be overly wicked” (Ecclesiastes 7:17—NKJV [“overwicked”—NIV; “overmuch wicked”—ASV]),

Did he mean to imply that a person can, with God’s approval, be moderately wicked? When Peter noted that pagans do not understand why Christians do not engage in the “same excess of riot” (1 Peter 4:4), did he mean moderate rioting was appropriate?

Therefore, "too much wine" stated there DOESN'T mean we can indulge in it but not in excess.

Paul was spotlighting an individual who is known for drinking freely of alcoholic beverages. He was saying that no such person should be put into the eldership. A parallel would be to make an observation about a person who carouses and parties every night

Oga you are a liar and the father of it. Twisting scriptures to suit ur beliefs. Just negodu your rubbish explanation. Ok so he told Timothy to drink little wine, I'm sure you can explain also? He told elders dont drink at all and told deacons dont drink much and told Timothy to drink a little for his sickness and you r here explaining nonsense

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by alBHAGDADI: 2:10pm On Sep 08, 2019
gobuchinny:

Oga you are a liar and the father of it. Twisting scriptures to suit ur beliefs. Just negodu your rubbish explanation. Ok so he told Timothy to drink little wine, I'm sure you can explain also? He told elders dont drink at all and told deacons dont drink much and told Timothy to drink a little for his sickness and you r here explaining nonsense

He told Timothy to drink wine aka Fruit juice for his stomach ache, just we use orange to cure stomach ache today.

Nowhere did he tell anyone to drink alcohol.
Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 2:11pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

I said 1Timothy 3:8 ODE

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 2:12pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Overly wicked here means wicked for no cause. For instance when the children of Israel invaded enemy camps dont you know their enemies thought they(Israelites) were wicked? God told them to do things that we can say is wicked by today's standards but we know it's a righteous course. So yes, I can execute Gods judgement and you call me wicked but being wicked without course or reason can be read as overly.wicked

Example a lecturer see a final year student cheating and kicks him out. That paper is his last and his being kicked out means he can't graduate. To the student and friends d lecturer was wicked but to God and fellow lecturers he was just. Imagine the lecturer just kicked d student out without reason. THAT MY FRIEND IS OVERLY WICKED. You r not wiser that the bible. Dont try n explain away what you dont understand. Dont defend d bible allow it defend itself

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 2:14pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

I quoted KJV

1 Like

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 2:14pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

He told Timothy to drink wine aka Fruit juice for his stomach ache, just we use orange to cure stomach ache today.

Use google and educate yourself. In ancient Israel wine was alcoholic. It was not fruitwine grin fruit of the vine had alcohol grin

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by executive12: 2:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
From a little research, and www.crosswalk.com has these 6 things to say about the Bible on Alcoholic drinks:

1. The Bible allows Christians to drink for medical reasons: 1 Timothy 5:23

Note that most liquid medicines contain alcohol.

2. The Bible sometimes portrays alcohol as something good and enjoyable: John 2:3-11, Psalm 104 makes reference to "wine that gladdens the heart of man".

3. The Bible forbids drunkenness: Ephesians 5:6, Romans 13:13, Galatians 5:19-21, 1 Peter 4:3.

4. The Bible forbids drinking if it offends fellow believers: Romans 14: 15-21, 1 Corinthians 8.

5. The Bible forbids drinking is it hinders the gospel: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23.

6. The Bible warns that drinking is often dangerous and unwise: Proverbs 31:4-5, Proverbs 23:31.

The takeaway: The Bible does not forbid Christians from drinking. However, it forbids them from getting drunk and warns them of how easy it is to lose control after drinking alcoholic drinks. So, in effect, the Bible weighs more on the side of completely staying away from alcoholic drinks to avoid losing control and then falling into sin.
It is clear, from the Bible verses, that drinking is not a sin. If you have strong self control, you can enjoy some alcoholic beverages; otherwise, stay away from them to avoid stories.

PS: A wine is an alcoholic beverage, not a fruit juice. Our Lord Jesus Christ turned water into wine, not into fruit juice. AL Baghdadi take note. Don't get confused by some clever crooked importers who bring in sparkling fruit drinks (eg Eva 'wine') and slap 'wine' on the carton. They are not wines. They are fruit drinks (not even juice).

6 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 2:16pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

Why then did Paul use the adjective 'little'

2 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by nel4k(m): 2:19pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

You just shared the first picture below which is from the satanic Daddy Freeze. Well, the Catholic pope and Bishop seen in it are the same men who go against the word of God by making idols and bowing down to it, even telling people to do the same. Yet, you believe they are right when they tell you that alcohol is good to be drunk.

Leviticus 26:1
'You shall not make for yourselves idols, nor shall you set up for yourselves an image or a sacred pillar, nor shall you place a figured stone in your land to bow down to it; for I am the LORD your God

I pray you don't have the picture of your GO in form of stickers, almanacs on your vehicle or homes.

All Catholic Saints, Priests and religious and laity served Idols? grin grin
Reading the bible is the first is the first line of action, the second: is understanding. So, I pray for you today the grace to understand and cast out the spirit of hypocrisy, IJN. Amen

Please also note: Wine is an alcoholic drink made from fermented grapes. Yeast consumes the sugar in the grapes and converts it to ethanol, carbon dioxide, and heat.

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by oludavis123: 2:24pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

What is unclean before God? That is something that makes God hate a man.

Since nothing defiles a man, according to you, why not go and drink Sniper tonight as well as you have misconstrued scriptures.

The guy said 'defile a man' he didn't say 'kill a man'

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by gobuchinny: 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
gobuchinny:

Use google and educate yourself. In ancient Israel wine was alcoholic. It was not fruitwine grin fruit of the vine had alcohol grin

Genesis 9 vs 20. This proves even from the bible that everytime you see wine know its alcoholic

20 In those days Noah became a farmer, and he made a vine-garden. 21 And he took of the wine of it and was overcome by drink; and he was uncovered in his tent. 22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw his father unclothed, and gave news of it to his two brothers outside. 23 And Shem and Japheth took a robe, and putting it on their backs went in with their faces turned away, and put it over their father so that they might not see him unclothed.[1]

See that the wine was from the vine garden but Noah was overcome grin.. in order words he got drunk

Be a good teacher of the word and not a reprobate. You are not wiser than God stop preaching your own perverted gospel

4 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by executive12: 2:25pm On Sep 08, 2019
Adroit144:
you are saying most of the Bible passages that encourage drinking of wine is referring to fruit juice. then why is it that the juice are made only from grape that is used in making "alcoholic wine" not any other fruits like orange or pineapple?

Don't mind him. He is being dishonest.

3 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by Mrfeel: 2:27pm On Sep 08, 2019
alBHAGDADI:

The Bold part is where your problem lie, lazy reader. If you had read the entire write-up, you would have seen that the Bible speaks two kinds of wine: Fruit juice and alcoholic beverage.

Paul didn't advice Timothy to take alcohol. It was fruit juice he advised. Telling Timothy to take alcohol is the same as going against the Book of Proverbs 23:31 that says we shouldn't even look at alcoholic wine not to talk of drinking it, regardless of the amount.

Now, go back and read the OP again, Mr personal encounter with God who throws away the word of God just to operate based on his own conscience.

Is the book of Proverbs commandments or a law? It was just words of wisdom ? You think Solomon didn't drink alcohol? All this fruit juice explanation you are talking about are false, fruit juice can't be stored for day's or months like it was done, Jesus himself described it in one of his parables

St. Mark 2:22 And no one pours new wine into old wineskins. Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins, and both the wine and the wineskins will be ruined. No, they pour new wine into new wineskins." There is no law in the Bible that forbids alcohol,
It was alcohol that Paul advised young Timothy to drink a little, cause in the words of Paul, he said

Colossians 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

It was forbidden by law to eat pork meat why is it not a sin to eat pork meat now? cause Christians eat pork meat ,

5 Likes

Re: The Bible Does Not Support Drinking Alcohol, Don't Let Anyone Fool You by executive12: 2:31pm On Sep 08, 2019
Adroit144:

QED. Some clever importers deceive people by bringing in sparkling fruit drinks and labelling them non alcoholic wine.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Does The Bible Really Condemn Marrying More Than One Wife? / Examining Talk That Jehovah's Witnesses Are The Only Ones Preaching Out There / Former Cultists, Prostitutes And Militants Undergo Water Baptism In Rivers. PICS

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.