Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,763 members, 7,820,657 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:55 PM

How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria (8180 Views)

Likely Job Opportunities For Graduates In Islamic And Arabic Studies In Nigeria / Leave Islam Or Accept Polygamy... / How To Prove To A Christian That Jesus Was A Muslim? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by experts: 10:44am On Oct 29, 2010
My fellow brothers and systers in Islam, Assalamualaikum Waramatullahi wabarakattu,

It is my pleasure to raise this topic as it affect the life of many muslims.

many people had come to the conclusion that as far as Nigeria is concern with the current situation, there is no way one can completely leave his life according to the teaching of islam.

So lets share idea on this issue and see the possibilities. can 1 leave and be okay according to the teaching of the Holy Qur'an in Nigeria?

lets discus this issue may be we can proffer a way forward for our fellow muslim brothers and sister and if possible publish a book on this topic.

Massalam.

Christians are allowed to share their idea in this topic provided they did not turn it into a place of religious argument or add any sentiment.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:30pm On Nov 22, 2010
Its not easy to some people but i tell you it should be easy to live islamically in Nigeria compared to the west,it all depend on the angle you are looking it,could you state the angles youre really talking about,so we know how we can answer it,jazakumllah for addressing this.

And why are you people not commenting on this nice and favourable topic?common sisters,lets comment and not leave it like this

2 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by stranger26(f): 1:54pm On Nov 24, 2010
Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah.

Interesting topic. It has been on my mind for a while as I am most likely moving back to Nigeria some time into the future. In any case, whenever I am in Nigeria it is quite a struggle to maintain my lifestyle without stepping on people's toes. The Yoruba culture has inculcated too much intermingling among opposite genders, too much music, etc. Personally, I am aghast at the typical yoruba wedding where you've got men and women dancing together! They are not related to each other; essentially the women are dancing in public and shaking parts of their bodies in front of an audience of men ogling at them. I find the scene repulsive. I shudder to think of the men disrespecting those ladies by staring at every part of her, sizing her up, comparing, etc. It is just too lewd.
As such, I find it extremely unpleasant to attend such mixed parties. Alhamdulillah I don't have to encounter that often. But when I do move back to Nigeria, inshaAllah, my plan is to set my boundaries from the start. Let people know what I don't feel comfortable with. And lead a comfortable life in a comfortable environment. When I have an occasion to celebrate, I will have it segregated inshaAllah.

There is also the NYSC issue and wearing hijab wahala. I don't think there should be too much of a problem in the workplace though but do correct me if I'm wrong.
Anyway whoever has more info about it, let us know.

8 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Qlatyfah(f): 2:31pm On Nov 24, 2010
I believe living as a muslim is possible in Nigeria better than if you where in the west. You just need to understand that not everybody will share your views or understand your beileves .

Culture <like every other issue> is ok until proven to be haram.

Also u got to stand firm with your ideals and[b] be friendly about it[/b].

We can call people to islam if we impress them by our lifestyle and willing to teach them our ways.

If you c
stranger26:

Assalamu alaykum wa rahmatullah.

As such, I find it extremely unpleasant to attend such mixed parties. Alhamdulillah I don't have to encounter that often. But when I do move back to Nigeria, inshaAllah, my plan is to set my boundaries from the start. Let people know what I don't feel comfortable with. And lead a comfortable life in a comfortable environment. [b]When I have an occasion to celebrate, I will have it segregated inshaAlla[/b]h.

The problem highlighted& the solution proffered<in bold>! nice the way to go. When it is you turn do it the halal way and make people see the beauty in islam.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by experts: 12:36pm On Mar 28, 2012
good
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 5:53am On Mar 29, 2012
Really nice topic. To be honest, a Muslim in Nigeria cannot totally apply the dictates of his religion. If you look at things like interest, inter-mingling of sexes and being modest. You will find-out that it is only a delusional person that will say, he can apply the rules of Islam 100%. The motto here for me is be sincere and do your best.

Like someone told me, you cannot compare a Muslim in Saudi Arabia or some other countries to that of Nigeria.

For example, a Muslim in Saudi Arabia knows theoretically that idolatory is totally forbidden but in all truth, he most probably has never seen idolatory being practised. His understanding of idolatory is theoretical and he cannot really be affected by it.

On the flip side, a Muslim in Nigeria is likely to have idolatory been practiced at least in his community, he interacts with idolators because some might be his neighbours, security guards, mechanics etc. Believe it or not, these interactions have an effect on you just as you would be affected if all of these people are pious Muslims.

You cannot compare the reward that the Muslim in Nigeria and that of Saudi Arabia will get for shunning idols. The environment in which they operate are not the same. The same thinking could be applied to drinking, fornication and adultery. The environment here is hostile to piety. One just needs to make a great effort to overcome the challenges.

I have heard stories of Arab Muslims who ran back to their countries because Nigeria is too 'sinful' for them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying start sinning because you are in Nigeria. However, it is almost inevitable that some sins will be marked on your register almost by default if you live in Nigeria. I am sure the same obtains in some other countries. May Allah forgive us.

6 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by olsmade(m): 6:41am On Mar 29, 2012
One of my greatest aspirations z to live n work in the middle east, a place where culture z built around Islam unlike here where to a large extent, the practice of Islam z built around d culture. I just concluded NYSC camp n one girl I met in the course of dischargin a particular duty on camp walked up to me in mammy market where I was avin dinner n said she was always seeing me alone n dat I wasn't social - I jus played it down. But the truth of d matter z dat I wasn't allowed to be in the cool spots where alcohol was flowing freely n a lot of debauchery was going on. I also wasn't allowed to have a camp girlfriend like so many 'cool' guys on camp. Anytym I felt like going to mammy, I'd go but neccessarily in d company of a friend. In essence, enjoying life as a muslim z a mindset - jus try not to do d haraam stuff.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 7:28am On Mar 29, 2012
^NYSC, what are your thoughts on Nigerian youths in terms of sexuality after camp? I don't know where people get the orientation from. However, once you land in camp, people seek to turn it into a sex wonderland, married women even hide their rings. It is very disgusting when people turn every corner into copulation spot.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 7:29am On Mar 29, 2012
^I didn't say reproduction there. The filter changed it.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by olsmade(m): 7:51am On Mar 29, 2012
maclatunji: ^NYSC, what are your thoughts on Nigerian youths in terms of sexuality after camp? I don't know where people get the orientation from. However, once you land in camp, people seek to turn it into a sex wonderland, married women even hide their rings. It is very disgusting when people turn every corner into copulation spot.
Camp was crazy - so many loose girls n guys. I fink if u can survive 3wks of camp unscathed, u can survive almost any fitnah. But I must tell u, its almost invariable dat ur iman would av somewhat decreased after doz 3wks. Me I didn't c any live action firsthand sha, jus heard stories grin

1 Like

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 3:37pm On Mar 29, 2012
olsmade:
Camp was crazy - so many loose girls n guys. I fink if u can survive 3wks of camp unscathed, u can survive almost any fitnah. But I must tell u, its almost invariable dat ur iman would av somewhat decreased after doz 3wks. Me I didn't c any live action firsthand sha, jus heard stories grin

Did I tell you I saw anything? However, the 'Cassava hotel' was known to everybody in camp. #Shameful. Imagine, the RSM told us after we had a very successful endurance trek: 'You guys are now free to go to the Cassava hotel!', you should have been there to hear the hearty cheers! (Not from me of course). Yes, I am that holy. tongue
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:29pm On Mar 30, 2012
maclatunji: Really nice topic. To be honest, a Muslim in Nigeria cannot totally apply the dictates of his religion. If you look at things like interest, inter-mingling of sexes and being modest. You will find-out that it is only a delusional person that will say, he can apply the rules of Islam 100%. The motto here for me is be sincere and do your best.

Like someone told me, you cannot compare a Muslim in Saudi Arabia or some other countries to that of Nigeria.

For example, a Muslim in Saudi Arabia knows theoretically that idolatory is totally forbidden but in all truth, he most probably has never seen idolatory being practised. His understanding of idolatory is theoretical and he cannot really be affected by it.

On the flip side, a Muslim in Nigeria is likely to have idolatory been practiced at least in his community, he interacts with idolators because some might be his neighbours, security guards, mechanics etc. Believe it or not, these interactions have an effect on you just as you would be affected if all of these people are pious Muslims.

You cannot compare the reward that the Muslim in Nigeria and that of Saudi Arabia will get for shunning idols. The environment in which they operate are not the same. The same thinking could be applied to drinking, fornication and adultery. The environment here is hostile to piety. One just needs to make a great effort to overcome the challenges.

I have heard stories of Arab Muslims who ran back to their countries because Nigeria is too 'sinful' for them.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying start sinning because you are in Nigeria. However, it is almost inevitable that some sins will be marked on your register almost by default if you live in Nigeria. I am sure the same obtains in some other countries. May Allah forgive us.

Quite odd. Does that mean allah is unfair by putting you in a country where the odds are already stacked against you in terms of exposure to sin?
This just sounds more and more to me like a burdensome religion that requires so much concerted effort, speculative hope and fear of the unknown.

Secondly, the idea that the culture is a problem to a religious muslim is false. the problem is you. I lived in nigeria for 22 yrs, even as a man who wasnt particularly holy, i never drank, never fornicated and adultery was something that was never mentioned among our extended or nuclear families regardless of the culture around us.
We never partied at all (except for typically small family or church gatherings) and despite the number of folks we had to interact with never had an issue with being influenced in the negative.
I think you seem to be excusing your need to blend in with the culture by claiming you have no choice. I have seen pious muslims in that same nigeria (including those that sacrifice their ego to grow their moustaches and dress in the islamic way). How many of you rather prefer to sit in your jeans and be known as a cool kid too just to feel among? Then you blame the culture for your inability to conform to the strict dictates of your religion?

For those crying about decent living and sitting around in the west - the hypocrisy is too much to write about.

4 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 12:54pm On Mar 31, 2012
^You speak from a very disadvantaged position. Your holiest demeanour as a Christian will in all likelihood not be good enough at a very basic level under Islamic reckoning. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses are seen as being austere amongst Christians. However, their women's 'devout' dressing would not stand the test of Islam. And don't come and tell me about nuns. Make we no start the tin we no go fit finish.

By Christian standards, I would be something of a saint by now. #Yeah #Dealwithit.

Stop trying, u no reach.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 1:16pm On Mar 31, 2012
maclatunji: ^You speak from a very disadvantaged position. Your holiest demeanour as a Christian will in all likelihood not be good enough at a very basic level under Islamic reckoning. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses are seen as being austere amongst Christians. However, their women's 'devout' dressing would not stand the test of Islam. And don't come and tell me about nuns. Make we no start the tin we no go fit finish.

By Christian standards, I would be something of a saint by now. #Yeah #Dealwithit.

Stop trying, u no reach.

interesting, however you skip a very important point... for a christian, holiness is not about a personal struggle to look good before a god. Its a matter of the heart.

4 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by deols(f): 3:15pm On Mar 31, 2012
davidylan:

Quite odd. Does that mean allah is unfair by putting you in a country where the odds are already stacked against you in terms of exposure to sin?
This just sounds more and more to me like a burdensome religion that requires so much concerted effort, speculative hope and fear of the unknown.
Secondly, the idea that the culture is a problem to a religious muslim is false. the problem is you. I lived in nigeria for 22 yrs, even as a man who wasnt particularly holy, i never drank, never fornicated and adultery was something that was never mentioned among our extended or nuclear families regardless of the culture around us.
We never partied at all (except for typically small family or church gatherings) and despite the number of folks we had to interact with never had an issue with being influenced in the negative.

For those crying about decent living and sitting around in the west - the hypocrisy is too much to write about.

the word hypocrisy and the name davidylan can almost not do without the other. No wonder the biggest hypocrite have seen here is you. From your statement,"this sounds more and more to me ike a burdensome. . .", you imply that Islam puts so much burden on its follows but you do agree that a holy christian would also not do what a holy Muslim wouldnt by claiming you never drank blah blah blah..and that doesnt make christianity a burden??. In fact, if an unholy wouldnt do as you didnt, wonder what goes on in a holy man's life. .I must have seen some of such like the ones allowed to watch TV only in church grin .

I think you seem to be excusing your need to blend in with the culture by claiming you have no choice. I have seen pious muslims in that same nigeria (including those that sacrifice their ego to grow their moustaches and dress in the islamic way). How many of you rather prefer to sit in your jeans and be known as a cool kid too just to feel among? Then you blame the culture for your inability to conform to the strict dictates of your religion?

This actually is a good point. I know you make sense sometimes, you only need to shed a little of your bigotry wink

1 Like

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by deols(f): 3:18pm On Mar 31, 2012
davidylan:

interesting, however you skip a very important point... for a christian, holiness is not about a personal struggle to look good before a god. Its a matter of the heart.

so you think its all about the dressing in Islam?

and btw, am I to assume uv bn celibate all d while? hmmn grin
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 3:46pm On Mar 31, 2012
davidylan:

I told you to stop trying but you no dey hear word. Who talked about trying to 'look good' before God. It is about doing your best to meet God's stipulations not fronting. As for being a matter of the heart, it is such nonsense that makes some people think that Euthanasia is a very kind thing to do- 'at least their heart tells them that. God's stipulation does not allow that.

Let me guess, that is not exactly what you mean. Even at that, I am light-years ahead of you when it comes to purity of the heart. It is a blessing I am grateful for.

I skipped the dressing part earlier because I was busy (I know, I say that almost everyday), a Muslim may wear anything he likes as long as it does not constitute Haram. So, if a Muslim dresses 'cool' eat your heart out. #Rubbish.

4 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by experts: 11:54am On Apr 02, 2012
peace
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by BahPulo(f): 4:16pm On Apr 02, 2012
Well personally i think where one lives does not or should not dictate the way one lives his/her life. Your dedications and choices are what matter. Having live in west for the past ten years I can tell you I have seen more devout muslims than I did when I was in Senegal(which is 90% or more muslims). Alcohol, sex, drug, stealing,smoking ......... are choices one makes.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 5:15pm On Apr 02, 2012
BahPulo: Well personally i think where one lives does not or should not dictate the way one lives his/her life. Your dedications and choices are what matter. Having live in west for the past ten years I can tell you I have seen more devout muslims than I did when I was in Senegal(which is 90% or more muslims). Alcohol, sex, drug, stealing,smoking ......... are choices one makes.

At the elementary level yes I agree with you. Let me give you an example; there is no man that walks on the streets of Lagos that can claim that his eyes do not stray because as you point your eyes from Point A to Point B, there are women half-clad all over the place. Meanwhile, you are probably rushing with these same women for the bus. You cannot escape these things without getting hit by a motorcycle rider coming from the wrong lane in all probability grin. The environment does matter, the only thing is that one should not willfully engage in sinful acts.

1 Like

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by experts: 4:14pm On Apr 09, 2012
smiley
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 09, 2012
deols:

the word hypocrisy and the name davidylan can almost not do without the other. No wonder the biggest hypocrite have seen here is you. From your statement,"this sounds more and more to me ike a burdensome. . .", you imply that Islam puts so much burden on its follows but you do agree that a holy christian would also not do what a holy Muslim wouldnt by claiming you never drank blah blah blah..and that doesnt make christianity a burden??. In fact, if an unholy wouldnt do as you didnt, wonder what goes on in a holy man's life. .I must have seen some of such like the ones allowed to watch TV only in church grin .

this is quite stup[i]i[/i]d really. I didnt drink as a child not because i was strictly abiding by a christian code of conduct but more out of a personal choice not to. i am not a christian out of fear.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 8:28pm On Apr 09, 2012
maclatunji:

I told you to stop trying but you no dey hear word. Who talked about trying to 'look good' before God. It is about doing your best to meet God's stipulations not fronting. As for being a matter of the heart, it is such nonsense that makes some people think that Euthanasia is a very kind thing to do- 'at least their heart tells them that. God's stipulation does not allow that.

Let me guess, that is not exactly what you mean. Even at that, I am light-years ahead of you when it comes to purity of the heart. It is a blessing I am grateful for.

I skipped the dressing part earlier because I was busy (I know, I say that almost everyday), a Muslim may wear anything he likes as long as it does not constitute Haram. So, if a Muslim dresses 'cool' eat your heart out. #Rubbish.

Daft. Read the above quote and ask yourself why you are trying to find a difference between 6 and half a dozen.
lol as regards being "light years ahead of me when it comes to purity of the heart"... the less said about such nonsense the better.
Yeah sure, a muslim may dress however he/she likes as long as it is not haram... try that in saudi arabia you id[i]i[/i]ot.

3 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by maclatunji: 10:18pm On Apr 09, 2012
^Hahaha, someone is upset. What is there to try in Saudi Arabia? Name calling will get you to the top won't it?
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:21pm On Apr 09, 2012
maclatunji: ^Hahaha, someone is upset. What is there to try in Saudi Arabia? Name calling will get you to the top won't it?

huh? Upset about? A deluded muslim's fantasy? You must be joking.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by LagosShia: 10:35pm On Apr 09, 2012
davidylan:

Daft. Read the above quote and ask yourself why you are trying to find a difference between 6 and half a dozen.
lol as regards being "light years ahead of me when it comes to purity of the heart"... the less said about such nonsense the better.
Yeah sure, a muslim may dress however he/she likes as long as it is not haram... try that in saudi arabia you id[i]i[/i]ot.

i think this thread was meant for muslims in nigeria (not saudi arabia) to tell others how they live in islamic ways and still enjoy life in nigeria.since you are not a muslim and you have nothing to contribute to the topic about living islamic ways and still enjoying life,you should quietly exit this thread.you dont have to seek attention,and poke your noise in every thread even the ones meant for muslims to answer and be seen as a stalker.

2 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by sino(m): 1:47pm On Apr 11, 2012
As a muslim in nigeria, you can live and enjoy your practice of the religion very well. There are few obstacles though, but a ready solution if you want to take things to a very strict level.
My principle is basically Allah's statement, fear Allah as much as you can(Q64:16), the hadith of the prophet(saw) whiich states: verily, the religion is easy, and no one should try make it difficult unless it overburdens the person... Then i work mostly on my circle of influence, looking inward and try to be a better muslim everyday.

2 Likes

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:51pm On Dec 15, 2016
Are people still willing to contribute to this thread? *I know it has been so long*

cc: lexiconkabir, Demmzy15, Friendchoice, rabiushile04

@ rabiushile04 can you tell me about how camp was during your NYSC (in terms of fitnah, free mixing). How are Muslim women expected to dress? Are there exceptions?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Demmzy15(m): 10:03pm On Dec 15, 2016
Following, will contribute soon.

1 Like

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 15, 2016
Following. I have no concrete thing to say.

1 Like

Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 5:02am On Dec 16, 2016
Demmzy15:
Following, will contribute soon.

Okay.

Will be expecting in sha Allah.
Re: How Do A Muslim Leave Life In Islamic Ways And Enjoy Life In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:22am On Dec 16, 2016
personally, i don't find it easy practicing Islam (with strict sunnah) here in Nigeria, due to some reason, the way ladies move around naked, audhubillaah i ALWAYS have body contact with them every single day no matter how hard i try, mostly inpin public vehicles, i can't freely buy something in a restaurant (if i get hungry and I'm far from home) without doubting if the thing is halal for me to eat, and some other things sha(these things are not trivial by the way), things i heard about NYSC is why i want kano.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Things You Shouldn't Do During Ramadan / Eight Kinds Of People To Whom Zakat Can Be Given / Christians, Why Don't You Beat Your Wives Like We Muslims Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.