Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,823 members, 7,810,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:09 PM

The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! (7119 Views)

Twitter Ban: The Position Of House Of Representatives - Femi Gbajabiamila / Content Of The Rice Donated By FG To Oyo State (graphics Pics) / Lockdown: The Rice Given To Alimosho LGA Residents To Stay At Home (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by ahiboilandgas: 4:42pm On Sep 14, 2019
Ratello:

You are forever lost and may never be free
u are eaten up by bigotory and hate may God have mercy on you
Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by Blue3k(m): 5:13pm On Sep 14, 2019
Sholaani:

Since there is ban... let us see what happen then

It is not as if the ban can't be lifted..

Let believe this is a big step forward

Doing the same thing will change nothing.

Its obvious whats going to happen. You're going to get higher prices which will cause more inflation. Food inflation seems to drive CPI. If you're not sure what going to happen just look at previous bans done recently.

Doing nothing is better than making situation worse.

Ratello:

Thanks for your brilliant submission.

Thanks for compliment.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by urahara(m): 6:33pm On Sep 14, 2019
Blue3k:

Its obvious whats going to happen. You're going to get higher prices which will cause more inflation. Food inflation seems to drive CPI. If you're not sure what going to happen just look at previous bans done recently.

Doing nothing is better than making situation worse.

Thanks for compliment.

Chaii , food inflation is even worse than normal inflation . I never knew that.

1 Like

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by Blue3k(m): 6:57pm On Sep 14, 2019
urahara:

Chaii , food inflation is even worse than normal inflation . I never knew that.

Its been that way for a few years now. I only started paying attention last month when I downloaded CPI after buhari announced forex ban on food. Food processors will be impacted but they'll have end consumer eat cost. Expect higher prices in bread and fish products especially since they're making more expensive to buy it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by urahara(m): 7:00pm On Sep 14, 2019
Blue3k:

Its been that way for a few years now. I only started paying attention last month when I downloaded CPI after buhari announced forex ban on food. Food processors will be impacted but they'll have end consumer eat cost.

They said since 2017 , the world has experienced decrease in food prices except from Africa.

1 Like

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by Blue3k(m): 7:15pm On Sep 14, 2019
urahara:

They said since 2017 , the world has experienced decrease in food prices except from Africa.

I dont know I never looked into it. I know Nigeria could have cheaper meats if the allowed imports. I think Ratello consider annother conspiracy. The government banned pork and beef imports but allows frozen fish imports. If we had cheap alternative to Nigerians would simply eat USDA American beef and pork. It's just protectionism running a mock.

Its funny they seem to understand productivity issue I drone on about when it comes to beef production. Its the reason they're bent on doing ruga/NLTP. The ban didnt make herdsmen more productive it just makes meat more expensive.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by urahara(m): 7:29pm On Sep 14, 2019
Blue3k:

I dont know I never looked into it. I know Nigeria could have cheaper meats if the allowed imports. I think Ratello consider annother conspiracy. The government banned pork and beef imports but allows frozen fish imports. If we had cheap alternative to Nigerians would simply eat USDA American beef and pork. It's just protectionism running a mock.

Its funny they seem to understand productivity issue I drone on about when it comes to beef production. Its the reason they're bent on doing ruga/NLTP. The ban didnt make herdsmen more productive it just makes meat more expensive.

Shit , so we previously used to import beef.
Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by AZeD1(m): 7:48pm On Sep 14, 2019
Sholaani:

This is becoming more funny... Rice is the most imported and smuggle foodstuff in Nigeria if am right.

Now, Fg is making attempt to reduce our reliance of foreign rice coming through port and border.. Are you not aware this will surely motivate farmers here to improve on rice production... it will also make positive our country trade balance (Reduce import and if there is sufficiency of rice production here , we can as well export)

You missed your Econs 101 class.

1 Like

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by AZeD1(m): 8:18pm On Sep 14, 2019
Blue3k:

Lots of Nigerians have no clue about economics so when a government in power says we are banning xzy to increase local production, we hail the government.

Since 1999, successive governments have talked about diversifying Nigeria's economy but none of them have shown they have a clue about what they are talking about.

To diversify the economy, you need to increase the spending power of your citizens and no I am not talking about increasing salaries.
Nigerians spend a large percentage of their wages on food and then when you factor in the cost of housing for the population, you realize that there's nothing left to spend on other things which means you can't diversify the economy.

The myth that banning rice and other foodstuff is good for Nigeria is busted the moment you look at cement, Yam and poultry.

Nigeria is the largest producer of yam in world but ask anyone on the street and they will tell you yams are expensive.

Same thing with cement. Obj banned the importation of cement and made Dangote a billionaire but the average Nigerian did not benefit from it. Cement is way cheaper in other African countries than it is in Nigeria so the housing deficit in Nigeria is self inflicted.

The rice ban would go the way of cement... A few millionaires would rise but a larger number of people would get poorer because they'll be spending more on food and less on other things like health and education.

A sensible government would ask why it is cheaper to buy rice from Thailand, pay transportation cost, pay import duty and still be cheaper than growing it in Nigeria.

There's a reason why the free market system is currently the best in the world.
To illustrate my point:

In Ontario a 10kg bag of rice cost about $11 while the minimum wage is $12/h.
After a days work, the minimum wage worker can comfortable by a 50kg bag of rice for his family while in Nigeria, someone on minimum wage would have to spend his whole salary just to buy rice.

The best way to fight corruption in Nigeria is to make food so cheap people no longer have to worry about feeding their families.

5 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by Blue3k(m): 9:34pm On Sep 14, 2019
urahara:

Shit , so we previously used to import beef.

I assume thats the case since import ban list came into effect 2016. Im guessing the tariffs were high so everyone opted for local producers. Nigeria imports cows regularly. Foreign herdsmen from niger Republic bring cows in to sell in south markets.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by Ratello: 2:07pm On Sep 15, 2019
AZeD1:

Lots of Nigerians have no clue about economics so when a government in power says we are banning xzy to increase local production, we hail the government.

Since 1999, successive governments have talked about diversifying Nigeria's economy but none of them have shown they have a clue about what they are talking about.

To diversify the economy, you need to increase the spending power of your citizens and no I am not talking about increasing salaries.
Nigerians spend a large percentage of their wages on food and then when you factor in the cost of housing for the population, you realize that there's nothing left to spend on other things which means you can't diversify the economy.

The myth that banning rice and other foodstuff is good for Nigeria is busted the moment you look at cement, Yam and poultry.

Nigeria is the largest producer of yam in world but ask anyone on the street and they will tell you yams are expensive.

Same thing with cement. Obj banned the importation of cement and made Dangote a billionaire but the average Nigerian did not benefit from it. Cement is way cheaper in other African countries than it is in Nigeria so the housing deficit in Nigeria is self inflicted.

The rice ban would go the way of cement... A few millionaires would rise but a larger number of people would get poorer because they'll be spending more on food and less on other things like health and education.

A sensible government would ask why it is cheaper to buy rice from Thailand, pay transportation cost, pay import duty and still be cheaper than growing it in Nigeria.

There's a reason why the free market system is currently the best in the world.
To illustrate my point:

In Ontario a 10kg bag of rice cost about $11 while the minimum wage is $12/h.
After a days work, the minimum wage worker can comfortable by a 50kg bag of rice for his family while in Nigeria, someone on minimum wage would have to spend his whole salary just to buy rice.

The best way to fight corruption in Nigeria is to make food so cheap people no longer have to worry about feeding their families.

You are a god my brother
Re: The Rice Ban: The Conspiracy You Need To Know About It! by grandstar(m): 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2019
Ratello

This is no conspiracy by Buhari. Northerners like to farm unlike Southerners and have grabbed rice farming with both hands. That's just it.

I'm no fan of Buhari but I know he is no tribalist. He is just grossly incompetent. A rice ban is follish as the country has no comparative advantage in its production. Production has never been the problem. It is the lack of comparative advantage that was. The country is better of importing rice.

The smuggling of rice into the country is simply economics telling you the ban is uneconomic.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS: This Is What Buhari Wants To Save Us From, Appreciate Him / What Were Gen. Buhari's 2.5 Years' Achievements? / Agbara's Mega Ceramic Factory To Start Operating From Dec 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.