Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,719 members, 7,820,505 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:05 PM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24430 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 12:41pm On Sep 19, 2019
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 12:42pm On Sep 19, 2019
lol my man. the things you want me to teach you. I learnt on the internet 70 percent. the other 30 percent I paid dearly. both by using money to experiment and paying mentors to save time. I'm no teacher. maybe I will point you to someone who can show you one of the things if you're lucky. his name here is iLegendd. type it in the search bar.
Thane:

boss i just graduated and this is just scary, pls i plead with you to take me up and teach me your own business. I promise you won't regret it. My number is 07032909591. Pls I'm begging

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Hedonisco: 12:49pm On Sep 19, 2019
GoldPencil:
ingenuity. laptop. internet. focus. that's really all you need today. most people just want another person to do the thinking for them. I would have added temporary 9-5 to raise capital. but again, if you have the first four, you can raise the capital you need, albeit slowly. then pursue bigger fish. translate online wins to offline wins.

Even if you do the thinking for them, and give them step by step execution 'expo', most people would still not take action or follow through. Most of them are 'wantapreneurs' or even outright sceptics. When nothing else works and they see you balling, they will conclude se pe 'ma dalo hun, yahoo niowun se' (translation: no mind am, na yahoo e dey do)

My brother when a limiting mindset and pessimistic passivity/docility becomes a consuming habit, nothing in the world can help you.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Partteen: 12:58pm On Sep 19, 2019
I beg to disagree on a lot of your assertions and assumptions.

The word you still don't get is what we call 'leverage'.

A lot of us are typical examples of our educational system which is not focused on Education for self reliance and this can be seen in our approach to life generally.

The successful big businesses leverage on people's time and convert it to money however this is capped income for the employees.

So, essentially you don't have the capacity to work harder so as to increase your income unless you get a loan or source for it whichever way you can.

I must say this, our lack of cultivating an active reading culture has also contributed to our sense of reasoning.

Lay your hands on books like 'Rich dad Poor Dad, Business of the 21st century, by Robert Kiyosaki.., Think and grow rich by Napoleon Hill among many other books.

This will increase your capacity in learning how to actively increase your source of income.

We also need to understand that you can't spend all your time watching programmes like Big Brother Nigeria and the likes and expect to be productive. There is no reward for being lazy and not being proactive. It is this attitude that has allowed ventures like MMM and wonder banks thrive because a lot of us are lazy and don't want to put in the required effort that any successful venture will need.

We also should adopt a lifestyle of not despising the days of little beginnings. I practically started a business with 30,000 after leveraging on other peoples money in 2016....by 2018, I was able to realize over 2million running to about N3.5 million after checking my total income for the year.

A lot of us take the Network marketing opportunity in isolation. How many people are successful in life generally? That's to tell you that the same ratio works with that industry as well. The Pareto 80/20 rules works in all spheres of life so you don't expect out of 100 people that venture into it, 90 or 80% will succeed in it. That cannot and will not happen. For anyone to succeed in any venture, skills, time and effort are required.

However, I still have my 9-5 job but with personal development, I have been able to increase my stream of income.

Focus on developing yourself personally and actively look forward to living life on your own terms and your future will thank you for it.

NB- The Dangote you hear of today is an example of someone with a dogged determination to succeed having put in over 30 years of hardwork and consistency.

If you take the time to do an extensive research, you will get a good Network marketing outfit to partner with. This is to help you achieve your goals and dreams.

Why Network marketing, because they require the least entry point for an ordinary person. Here ordinary people achieve extra ordinary results.

You can also do your finding on personalities like Paul Zain Pfizer, Bill Gates, Donald Trump, Richard Branson, Robert Kiyosaki to support my assertions on the Network Marketing industry. However it's not for everyone.

My two cents.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 1:02pm On Sep 19, 2019
lol. walahi. na the Lagos own I no kuku understand. grin if you de another place I fit say ehn one thing one thing. but Lagos...i assume you will wake up by at least 4 to exercise/pray/chow/bath/side hustle/get ready. Then enter goddamn traffic till u get there at 9. then close officially by 4 but boss fi make u wait till 6. then traffic again till 9 u chop gala and lacasera inside traffic for dinner. reach house, too stressed to chuk ur wife, (so she begin de cheat). you baff then watch TV small. sleep by 10:30. wake up again in 5 hours. 5 or six days a week for 30 to 80k. repeat until jimi agbaje becomes governor under PDP. on top of that they charge you 2% for depositing money in bank. bruh cheesy
horlique:
because they envy your suffering.. especially those of you living in Lagos..

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Elxandre(m): 1:08pm On Sep 19, 2019
jogbho:
UK used laptops up for grab
Lalasticlala see this scammer.
You people should do something about these rogues.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 1:47pm On Sep 19, 2019
HeyCorleone:

But as an entrepreneur, you would like workers under you, right? smfh.

I don't and when i want to, i'll transform them to be entrepreneurs and do the same to others.

Does your 9-5 job do that?

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by HBB1(m): 1:50pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hedonisco:

In this age of the Internet, even the risk taking aspect of entrepreneurship is overrated, especially for beginners. Trust me, the most important resource needed in new-age entrepreneurship is not necessarily capital, but INITIATIVE... Ingenuity.

Here's a short definition of entrepreneur that captures its whole essence:

Someone who exercises initiative by organising a venture to take advantage of an opportunity...

Most people are dissuaded by the fear of expending money in order to start a venture. They would ask you, 'where will I see money to start the business', or they would say 'what if I lose all my savings in the course of pursuing this business'. This mindset is too limiting and very outdated.

Telecommunication and the internet is the most important development in the history of the world. It is the great equaliser. It has made it more possible and easier then ever to minimise financial risk and launch ventures with virtually a shoe-string budget and yet watch that venture grow exponentially into something that yields millions and billions.

It is possible to sell a product you don't own, or a service you can't provide yourself, to buyers you have never met, and yet make as much profit or even more than the actual producers of that product or service.
The brokerage and arbitrage opportunities are endless.

You can even market your own product or service to specific audiences at prices that are 1000% more than the prevailing market average, with a little tweak.

In doing all of this, it is possible to start these ventures without spending up to what it costs to buy a low budget Android phone, without worrying about fixed costs (inventory, office space etc.).

There's a lot out there, especially now that the Internet has removed physical barriers to the markets and so the possibilities are endless if you have keen vision, a sharp nose, a creative mind, and a willingness to take action over and over again. It doesn't matter if you have money or not, as long as you have access to the Internet.

Anyway, the road to salvation is a lonely, dark street and everyone must walk the walk alone and find their own way. Dem no dey tell person.

As much as I get your drift, I have to say those things or thing you listed alone can not make you successful-- and I understand success is relative ( might be thousands for some, millions for some, billions for others).

I am from a family of businessmen and I consider myself one too, (even though I have a salaried job that pays me millions a month).

Most business fail, like 90% will in the first 5 years and a significant portion of those that survive will still fail-- that's how arduous the path is.

If you are wired to be an 'Entrepreneur,' all well and good, if not all well and good.
The most important thing is investments!

If I invest in a start-up or buy property, I don't label myself with the Entrepreneur tag-- at least not yet. I am just making investments to increase my Cash flow.

Business owners can make investments that can make phenomenal yields, Salary earners can also make crazy investments.

Imagine if you invested 10,000 dollars in Microsoft 30 years ago?

My Girl is an Entrepreneur, and a crazy one, tech savvy, super uber smart, well educated and the most hardworking person (man or woman), I know.

She has however 'failed' in business more than once and it was due to some other factor than ingenuity (one of the other factors I listed).

Her Father says to this day that the online store she started failed when capital dried up!

...but she still loves what she does and its not because of money-- she has walked away from 3-5 million naira monthly salaries for what she believes in-- which she is quite good at.

It's not also about passion alone either, because she has reserves to fall back on if she fails in business-- no worries about food, housing...
It is easier to make good decisions when you don't have this pressures.

When you don't have money, you stop thinking long-term, you only think short-term and your business will suffer tremendously!

If you think money is not important, you might be thinking small businesses

You realize that a certain Online store has not made a single naira in profit in 10 years, despite all the glam.
It also took Alibaba about that long before they broke even.

What do you do then when you don't have reserves or when it dries up?
The business will die!

That's why I believe Entrepreneurship requires certain skill sets.
Most Entrepreneurs you hear about-- the successful ones, and not the wannabes are not even money chasers per se... It's the deal, the contract, the product, the acquisition that gives them the kick, not the money.

Everyman should be honest with himself, not everybody can be an Entrepreneur, but everybody can and should have good investments.

If you are not one, pursue a corporate career, keep your eyes open for investment opportunities and when you see 'em don't miss 'em!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:51pm On Sep 19, 2019
kiddkash:

You can never get rich working for someone else
exactly. all the rich men in the world, none of them have jobs, they all have businesses
while people go to school, then nysc and use their God given talent to better those rich men
if you as a human being can find a passion and know how to monetize it,
the rich men will keep using you to make wealth for themselves
Wrong! Salary can be a source of capital for other investments. And investments must not be running another business. Working for someone else is a great pathway to learning and starting your own. 9-5 workers can be rich from their jobs and also through other streams of income.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by alphaNomega: 2:46pm On Sep 19, 2019
Many of us want a comfortable job where we can...
Whoa hol up I just saw this post..
HBB1:

As much as I get your drift, I have to say those things or thing you listed alone can not make you successful-- and I understand success is relative ( might be thousands for some, millions for some, billions for others).

I am from a family of businessmen and I consider myself one too, (even though I have a salaried job that pays me millions a month).

Most business fail, like 90% will in the first 5 years and a significant portion of those that survive will still fail-- that's how arduous the path is.

If you are wired to be an 'Entrepreneur,' all well and good, if not all well and good.

If I invest in a start-up or buy property, I don't label myself with the Entrepreneur tag-- at least not yet. I am just making investments to increase my Cash flow.

Business owners can make investments that can make phenomenal yields, Salary earners can also make crazy investments.

My Girl is an Entrepreneur, and a crazy one, tech savvy, super uber smart, well educated and the most hardworking person (man or woman), I know.

She has however 'failed' in business more than once and it was due to some other factor than ingenuity (one of the other factors I listed).

Her Father says to this day that the online store she started failed when capital dried up!

...but she still loves what she does and its not because of money-- she has walked away from 3-5 million naira monthly salaries for what she believes in-- which she is quite good at.

It's not also about passion alone either, because she has reserves to fall back on if she fails in business-- no worries about food, housing...

When you don't have money, you stop thinking long-term, you only think short-term and your business will suffer tremendously!

If you think money is not important, you might be thinking small businesses

You realize that a certain Online store has not made a single naira in profit in 10 years, despite all the glam.

The business will die!

Most Entrepreneurs you hear about-- the successful ones, and not the wannabes are not even money chasers per se... It's the deal, the contract, the product, the acquisition that gives them the kick, not the money.

Everyman should be honest with himself, not everybody can be an Entrepreneur, but everybody can and should have good investments.

If you are not one, pursue a corporate career, keep your eyes open for investment opportunities and when you see 'em don't miss 'em!

That job she walked away from, was it in Nigeria?

If yes,

1. She made a very bad call to reject it.

2. She has not told you the real reason she "rejected" the offer,

(i) maybe was not qualified enough or

(ii) was asked to sleep with someone to secure the job. (The reality of 90% female job seekers in Nigeria)

Even if you do not like money, N3-5m a month for a legit job that adds value to your career/life is not a bad offer.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by HBB1(m): 2:54pm On Sep 19, 2019
alphaNomega:
Many of us want a comfortable job where we can...
Whoa hol up I just saw this post..

That job she walked away from, was it in Nigeria?

If yes,

1. She made a very bad call to reject it.

2. She has not told you the real reason she "rejected" the offer,

(i) maybe was not qualified enough or

(ii) was asked to sleep with someone to secure the job. (The reality of 90% female job seekers in Nigeria)

Even if you do not like money, N3-5m a month for a legit job that adds value to your career/life is not a bad offer.

She still makes about that now, and is working on making more.

She is getting investors for a bigger project.

Since I know she is like that, I have a job that will support us both in case kasala bursts.

She is the crazy one, I am not!

P.S-- she was not sleeping with anybody, one was in an industry her faith doesn't agree with, another was to corporate for her entrepreneurial spirit, while the third was a 'been there done that' gig.

Besides like I said, she doesn't have to bother about rent, food, transport... Everything is covered, so she can afford the risk(s)

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CoolAmbience(m): 2:56pm On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

If I added some to the entrepreneurs, I would have had to add it to the 9-5 too. Felt that will make my topic too long, after all- I didn't say ALL. There is SOME in the post though

Thanks.

Ok, I get.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Amyyy2020: 3:15pm On Sep 19, 2019
I dont knw y diz is difficult for them to understand.

24kmagic:
Truth is, no matter how hard you try, business is not for everyone.

Not every one can be an entrepreneur.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Sep 19, 2019
You people do not understand one thing here
Entrepreneurship and the 9 - 5 job work hand in hand. If u r looking for capital, 9-5 serves as an option for you to raise capital and gather experience. For you to be successful in something you want to do as an entrepreneur, u need to know the in nd out of the business.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by millionboi2: 4:12pm On Sep 19, 2019
Jarus:

How many "entrepreneurs" earn profit of N1m per month?
how wetin pesin earn take b my business......face ur life
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by IamCharles123: 4:15pm On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:

It just might be better to be 'idle' than to be collecting 30k per month that won't go anywhere and will only succeed in making you bitter and angry. Little piece of advice for you bro, next time try not to sell yourself short. You just might be surprised what a company is willing to pay you.
My friend go n sit down, 6 million per month my ass.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by HeyCorleone(m): 4:48pm On Sep 19, 2019
passionstores:

I don't and when i want to, i'll transform them to be entrepreneurs and do the same to others.

Does your 9-5 job do that?

Balls.

Gates, Jobs, and other great men wouldn't be there today without workers who helped them build the company. Let's see how far you go without workers. Smh.

I'm a freelancer. But if I see opportunity for a 9-5, I would gladly jump on it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by armadeo(m): 4:58pm On Sep 19, 2019
Jarus:
I have a 9-5 job and a side business. All the turnover (not even profit) I have made from it in 6 years is less than my 3 month gross pay from 9-5 job. Imagine leaving 9-5 job for that. The hunger ehnnn.

Oga Jarus. Lol. Even you.

To be frank if some people see better 9 to 5 they will flee thier entrepreneur story.

I tried he side hustle before with normal 9 to 5. I quit the side bustle cos it wasnt worth it at all, when I am using salary to pay salary of others.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by renewable1(m): 5:10pm On Sep 19, 2019
Nice debate

Get our 1kva complete solar power system today for just 140k. 6hours back up time...

CHECK MY SIGNATURE NOW
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by djon78(m): 5:10pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hedonisco:

Since you're talking from your narrow perspective, have you ever bothered to find out how many employees in Nigeria earn up to N150k a month?

When evaluating this matter, you should compare 'like for like'. You don't compare a low level entrepreneur with a mid level manager earning a good salary, or even with an entry level guy working at a plum job like ExxonMobil. That's ridiculous. What's the percentile of graduates working at such jobs in comparison with the vast majority of hungry, underemployed employees slaving away for peanuts every month?

Now check the under 50 home owners across Nigeria's major cities. 90% of them are entrepreneurs. Thousands of average Igbo and Yoruba traders and hustlers own very nice middle class duplexes everywhere across Lagos, Abuja etc. How many 'average' employees can boast of same?

Apart from the tiny percentage of salary earners fortunate enough to have NLNG type of jobs with outrageous salaries, any average employee who owns a decent duplex or even bungalow in a decent part of Lagos or Abuja is likely a thief - benefitting from the corruption that is the only thing that they know how to do. He did not and cannot build/buy a house and live that kind of lifestyle from his legitimate salary.

Better face facts.

Very good reply
Apart from working in NLNG, oil companies and some few other firms, other 9 to 5 workers you see with those kind of houses you mentioned are thief's, fraudsters and criminals.

And these are the major reason Nigeria cannot actually develop, going in the same circle deceiving ourselves.
Many people don't even understand the terrible economic condition of this country and continent. Economy is in shambles, the government is totally bereft of what to do.
And someone will come online and be talking of 9 to 5.

What value are they adding to the economy by the so called nob they are doing. There is no creativity, no innovation in the system.

And let me warn most Nigerian youths
You must start thinking outside the box
Because anybody that continues with backward mentality will be caught down if you like work in NLNG, earn 1 million per month, by the time Naira is devalued, with the way the economy is going. You will discover your money is valueless.

Young Nigerians put your brain to work
Use your brain to better your lives

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by djon78(m): 5:20pm On Sep 19, 2019
Reference:

Perhaps it is because folks in employment are usually the ones with so much time on their hands they bother the rest of society with unrealistic, 'out of touch with reality' nuances.

Take for instance the minimum wage issue. Despite consuming far more resources than its productivity, despite contributing in no small way to the destruction of the economy, civil servants xontinue to trouble the rest of Nigeria on the infamous minimum wage, a quest beyond the reality od the day that has resulted in addirional taxation that will hit entrepreneurs hard.

Perhaps if Nigeria was run like a business with the spirit of enterprise in it we will be more like the Trump led country, successful and more at peace.

Not at all
Rather they will gather at the end of every months to share allocation at Abuja so that salaries will be paid.
Ask yourself if all these allocations shared monthly were used to fix Nigeria's dilapidated infrastructure, made finances readily available for businesses, whether Nigeria wouldn't have become industrialized Nation by now.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jarus(m): 5:25pm On Sep 19, 2019
armadeo:

Oga Jarus. Lol. Even you.

To be frank if some people see better 9 to 5 they will flee thier entrepreneur story.

I tried he side hustle before with normal 9 to 5. I quit the side bustle cos it wasnt worth it at all, when I am using salary to pay salary of others.

lol. First 3 years of the side hustle, na my salary I take finance the business, including paying salaries. Although the business now pays salaries of the staff. We still never make profits. Me I have not even started collecting salaries from the business yet.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by djon78(m): 5:29pm On Sep 19, 2019
franchasng:
It is the same way salary earners talk down and look down on entrepreneurs and those doing business, its vice versa.

Have you ever met someone working in any government parastatal or those working in oil firms or those working in top multinational companies and they ask you what you do for a living now and you tell them you are an entrepreneur or a business person, and then watch their silent reaction, because they will automatically see you as a nodowell wasting his or her time, they will automatically assume you are not doing well or that you are jobless and covering up....some will be saying in their mind; this one is deceiving himself instead of him to go get a job, and some will boldly advice or suggest that you try and get a job, that business is not a stable means of income, that its not predictable, and they will turn motivational speaker just because they are earning good salary from another person's successful business of many years.

....Not until they see you building houses, buying good luxury cars and living good life that they will start to believe that you were actually doing something all those while....and they will start to come closer to you to form fake friendship and alliance that never existed.

I am speaking from experience as someone who has experienced the both side......when I was a salary earner doing 9-5s, most of my colleagues looked down on entrepreneurs, even the way they talked about them will make you weep for business guys, especially the ladies....they see entrepreneurs and guys into business as time wasters.....some will tell you that once any guy that approaches them says he is into business, that that marks the end of the journey for the guy, and I will be smiling because while I was with them as a salary earner, I wasn't happy, I had a side business I was doing that made me work almost 24hrs everyday and looking unkempt that some do ask me if I am sick or something.

But deep down me, I was preparing to resign to go chase my dreams; I knew it was risky, but I was determined to try no matter the fears.

When I resigned to pursue business goals, many people didn't believe in me....even some close friends advised me to get another job.....even relatives.....former colleagues were all laughing at me that I will run back begging for re-employment soon that that's how they do.....the ladies started distancing themselves from me as they know this guy is no longer that corporate guy, but now a visionless guy, but the story is different today, all to the glory of God smiley

So this thing is both ways and I think its human nature to always believe that whatever they are doing and succeeding is the best thing, and other people's own is nonsense, that's the nature of maybe blacks maybe because I don't think whites act same way cos they respect everybody's opinion and decision in life unlike blacks who respect people based on their current financial power and status.

and let me use this opportunity to encourage every Nigerian youth to have a goal to work for certain number of years and quit to establish your own business. Don't plan to die old working, be it government job, oil company job, FMCG job, multinational company job, NGO job, etc, make a plan from the beginning to work for a certain period of time or years to enable you save up money to pursue your business goals, and then resign willingly, don't wait till they sack you or until you retire because it is killing Nigeria's future.......we need more companies, we need more successful small businesses to create more jobs for our future children, because if all of us decide to work 9-5s jobs till we grow old and retire, then there won't be any job for the upcoming young people and future kids to work.

No matter the fear, give it a try......invest in your skills.....work to gain experience, to learn from others, and to raise startup capital, but make a plan to resign before retirement, don't work till you grow old, Nigeria don't need it, we need businesses and small firms to grow Nigeria!

Nice thread smiley

Franchng my God will bless you for this great wise contribution. He who has ear let him hear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by djon78(m): 5:35pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hedonisco:

Thank you very much for this.

My biggest problem with the Nigerian employment space is the massive disconnect between value and remuneration and lack of meritocracy, coupled with a very vexatious entitlement mentality. It runs across all sectors but is particularly evident in the civil service across all tiers of government.

Most of these deadwood contribute ZERO value. Even the so-called jobs they boast of, 99% of them got it through the back door (via annoying 'slots' of one influential person or the other), nepotism and corruption. They know nothing about anything, other than just looking for how to collect egunje allowances, cut corners and then later make noise about salary increment and hold the rest of the productive economy to ransom.

You summed it up. No value added, you ask how then can Nigeria progress? I Wonder
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by EmekusTHEgreat(m): 5:43pm On Sep 19, 2019
franchasng:
I disagree with the part in bold, because with Nigeria's salary structure, no salary earner working for government can afford to do that if he or she was not corrupt through taking bribes, looting company fund by raising stock price, taking kickbacks from contractors/vendors, and engaging in all forms of office corruption that is rampant among Nigerian civil servants, which is why Nigeria is a mess it is today.

Only the few people working in top IOCs, FMCGs, and some few multinationals can afford that without engaging in office corruption.

So don't use them as yardstick because it is corruption, looting and bribery that make most salary earners in Nigeria appear like they are making money or rich, if they stick to their salaries and allowances, they won't afford some of the luxury lifestyle they live, except for the few executive directors and top management staffs who are very few in number, you know what I am saying.

I have been there

I'm going to Canada to do my MBA next year with my parents' money.. come and beat me
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Vincad: 5:51pm On Sep 19, 2019
IamCharles123:

My friend go n sit down, 6 million per month my ass.

grin I've even forgotten that I posted something like this and you're still bringing me back to it. It's okay sha. Even if the guy was lying, you can take something from his tales, be inspired and work harder, add value to yourself so that you are in a better place to negotiate higher wages from potential employers. That or you can continue to believe everyone earns change and 'leave money on the table' when negotiating. Either way it's not adding any millions to my own bank account. Good evening to you.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by franchasng: 6:06pm On Sep 19, 2019
djon78:

Franchng my God will bless you for this great wise contribution. He who has ear let him hear
God bless you too my brother smiley

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by franchasng: 6:10pm On Sep 19, 2019
EmekusTHEgreat:

I'm going to Canada to do my MBA next year with my parents' money.. come and beat me
That's good news bro!

If we can celebrate Tinubu's children, Abacha's children, Obasanjo's children, Buhari's children, El Rufai's children, Orji Uzo Kalu's children, Rocha's children, Oshiomhole's children, Ibori's children, and many other crooks who stole Nigeria dry to give their children luxury life at home and abroad, why shouldn't we celebrate you

I wish you the best.

But it won't change the truth that most Nigerian government employees and staffs training their kids abroad and living luxury lifestyle are doing so out of stolen and looted public funds to the detriment of all Nigerians, not from their actual salaries and allowances.

We have been there, and I am sure you and every other Nigerian understand what I am talking about and reason Nigeria is so messed up the way it is

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Hedonisco: 6:15pm On Sep 19, 2019
djon78:

You summed it up. No value added, you ask how then can Nigeria progress? I Wonder
My brother I have given up on Nigeria long time ago.

Look at Singapore. It became arguably the most successful and prosperous society in the world today due to a strict and fanatical adherence to three cardinal tenets - Meritocracy, Pragmatism, and Honesty.

Forget pragmatism and honesty for now. Let Nigeria start with only meritocracy and EVERYTHING would change. I can bet my life and unborn children's lives on this. Meritocracy would transform Nigeria to a beast... Almost overnight. No sentiment for that one. If you better pass me, oya get the job/contract/etc and do it well for everyone.

As much as financial corruption is a big problem, the biggest problem in Nigeria is the general hatred for meritocracy. Merit is despised. Value is relegated... Across spheres, from public to private and non governmental. It's a joke. You will see one 'lucky' idiot prancing about forming big boy or big girl in one plum job that was gotten through Nepotism....without even knowing what the organisation's core mandate is. That's the story of every 'good' job in Nigeria.

If Nigeria places great value on VALUE (meritocracy), trust me, we will not be in this mess. Things would work, even with financial corruption. Even if you're a thief but you know what you're doing and you're exceptional at what you do, you will still perform well and get things going in spite of your thievery. For a start.

But Nigeria? One Oba would carry his olodo constituent and put in NCC. One Emir would put his empty headed apologist in NNPC or CBN... even in the private sector... Oil companies, banks, Big 4 auditing firms, FMCG companies, NGOs, etc. Everywhere! That 'slot' and connection culture is rife. Value added, zero.

That's why entrepreneurship is a thing. You have to know what you're doing to succeed. For every Dangote (who had a privileged background and headstart) there are uncountable rich kids who were given millions and billions to start business but failed...Who took over their parents successful businesses and failed!

You can't fake this shit. You have it or you don't. It's at the very core, a merit based activity.

That's what differentiates entrepreneurship from the polluted and vexatious salaried employment space in Nigeria which relies on 'grace and favour' to give bread to people who don't know their left from their right.

I'm angry sef talking about this, because I am exposed to lots of these kinds of over-entitled, pompous people who add ZERO VALUE to the system but enjoy decent salaries or make good money from corruption in their offices. I mean no disrespect to the struggling underemployed Nigerians striving everyday to earn a living. God will see everyone through, I pray.

But Nigeria? The country is dead and buried. Just hustle for yourself and family. So that you will be immune to the nonsense that is unfolding and will escalate pretty soon.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Hedonisco: 6:38pm On Sep 19, 2019
HBB1:

If you think money is not important, you might be thinking small businesses.

The business will die!

Lol.

My brother, if you know, you know. And' knowing' takes lots of open mindedness. Lots of false alarms. Lots of misleads. Lots of mistakes... The learning curve defined.

But at the end of the day, knowledge is everything.

And you can only know as much as your learning capacity allows for.

To each his own.

Peace.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Gerrard59(m): 7:00pm On Sep 19, 2019
Interesting thread...
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by HBB1(m): 7:18pm On Sep 19, 2019
Hedonisco:

My brother I have given up on Nigeria long time ago.

Look at Singapore. It became arguably the most successful and prosperous society in the world today due to a strict and fanatical adherence to three cardinal tenets - Meritocracy, Pragmatism, and Honesty.

Forget pragmatism and honesty for now. Let Nigeria start with only meritocracy and EVERYTHING would change. I can bet my life and unborn children's lives on this. Meritocracy would transform Nigeria to a beast... Almost overnight. No sentiment for that one. If you better pass me, oya get the job/contract/etc and do it well for everyone.

As much as financial corruption is a big problem, the biggest problem in Nigeria is the general hatred for meritocracy. Merit is despised. Value is relegated... Across spheres, from public to private and non governmental. It's a joke. You will see one 'lucky' idiot prancing about forming big boy or big girl in one plum job that was gotten through Nepotism....without even knowing what the organisation's core mandate is. That's the story of every 'good' job in Nigeria.

If Nigeria places great value on VALUE (meritocracy), trust me, we will not be in this mess. Things would work, even with financial corruption. Even if you're a thief but you know what you're doing and you're exceptional at what you do, you will still perform well and get things going in spite of your thievery. For a start.

But Nigeria? One Oba would carry his olodo constituent and put in NCC. One Emir would put his empty headed apologist in NNPC or CBN... even in the private sector... Oil companies, banks, Big 4 auditing firms, FMCG companies, NGOs, etc. Everywhere! That 'slot' and connection culture is rife. Value added, zero.

That's why entrepreneurship is a thing. You have to know what you're doing to succeed. For every Dangote (who had a privileged background and headstart) there are uncountable rich kids who were given millions and billions to start business but failed...Who took over their parents successful businesses and failed!

You can't fake this shit. You have it or you don't. It's at the very core, a merit based activity.

That's what differentiates entrepreneurship from the polluted and vexatious salaried employment space in Nigeria which relies on 'grace and favour' to give bread to people who don't know their left from their right.

I'm angry sef talking about this, because I am exposed to lots of these kinds of over-entitled, pompous people who add ZERO VALUE to the system but enjoy decent salaries or make good money from corruption in their offices. I mean no disrespect to the struggling underemployed Nigerians striving everyday to earn a living. God will see everyone through, I pray.

But Nigeria? The country is dead and buried. Just hustle for yourself and family. So that you will be immune to the nonsense that is unfolding and will escalate pretty soon.

Entrepreneurship in Naij based on merit?! cheesy

Every successful Entrepreneur leverages on unfair advantage(s), how much more Nigeria.

A certain man got the sole license to import cement years back and today he is the benchmark for measuring wealth.

Another man is believed to be a front for a certain former head of state-- hence his big businesses in Oil and Telecoms were probably not proceeds of sweat like you sweat.

How about the woman who was 'dashed' an Oil well?

Or the retired General that paid 20million USD for his own Oil exploration license (I guess it was his pension)

Or that Presidential aspirant that is one of the biggest employers in the Country.

You think it was all based on merit?

A certain electronic billboard in Lagos is said to be owned by the Son of a very big man. 10 million a month per Ad. and you can count over 10 ads in no time when caught in traffic-- over 10 in a few minutes!

While the tax people are hounding you for money, some businesses are 'exempted' from paying tax. They 'legally' don't pay tax! grin
How about those that AMCON have been chasing up-and-down? People that secured loans without collateral, nothing!

Bros, forget.
If you roll in some circles, you will wonder why you work so hard.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / My Employer Robbed Me In Broad Daylight!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 146
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.