Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,728 members, 7,820,520 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24431 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Icon4s(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2019
Some times na beef. Give dem Chevron job now and see whether they will not change their "be an entrepreneur" song.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by IdJack(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2019
Have a 9 -5 job and have a side business. It helps.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Olanipekun1: 7:22am On Sep 19, 2019
[s]
post=82364360:
We dislike the way people just generalized while constructing sentences.
Next thread pls.......
[/s]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by tensazangetsu20(m): 7:22am On Sep 19, 2019
Honestly, I run a startup and if I could go back in time again I would never do it. People glorify entrepreneurship but it's very difficult. I have headaches and palcipations at months end when the bills start setting in. The environment in Nigeria is also tough with everyone trying to take from you without adding value in anyway. I rather have a well paid job with a nice salary where I just do what I am told and get paid at the end of the month.

30 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 19, 2019
DesChyko:
I just pay attention to what they have to offer but I don't let their 'pressure' get to me.

It's just boring to expect everyone tow the same direction.

Which of the countries we aspire to be has everyone as entrepreneurs?

The aim is to make a living. Anyhow legitimate does it.

I don't think it's a do-or-die affair to be an entrepreneur, you can choose to listen to the good side of being an entrepreneur and the freedom that comes with or not. I don't think you are competing with anyone

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by qanda: 7:23am On Sep 19, 2019
Entrepreneurship is not all about running your own business. As an employee, you can be entrepreneurial. Being an entrepreneur is a mindset, a way of life.

To give a practical example, the co-owners of Techpedia Ltd, developers of Q and A App https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tolu.qanda are employees with their respective companies. Yet they still commit to creating value to students, career persons and job seekers through the resources available on the App.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by MicroBox: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2019
Even if I finally start running my production line(InshaAllah) soon, I still believe in working elsewhere with other great smart chaps . I like challenges and not routine work. Or maybe incorporating consultancy into my company will be a better idea.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by AreaFada2: 7:24am On Sep 19, 2019
Na oversabi dey worry some people. To each his own. Nobody is feeding the other.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Chudichu(m): 7:24am On Sep 19, 2019
missimelda01:
Doing a 9-5 isn't the problem, the way some people get comfortable with it is where the problem lies. The advantages of being an entrepreneur are numerous, I don't think anyone would like to do a 9-5 till death but that doesn't change the fact that a 9-5 is necessary sometimes to source for capital. So I think a 9-5 is important, while being an entrepreneur is importanter

BTW is it 9-5 lagos? Most private companies no Sabi this one o, they would use work to kill their staffs

Depends on the 9-5.

We can't all be business people. Owning and running a business isn't easy at all. The struggles and pains is what business owners won't tell you.

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:25am On Sep 19, 2019
jogbho:
You can't be a boss without serving first

VERY FAT LIE!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by holina: 7:25am On Sep 19, 2019
because the richest people are not working for anyone

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Jaqenhghar: 7:26am On Sep 19, 2019
missimelda01:
Doing a 9-5 isn't the problem, the way some people get comfortable with it is where the problem lies. The advantages of being an entrepreneur are numerous, I don't think anyone would like to do a 9-5 till death but that doesn't change the fact that a 9-5 is necessary sometimes to source for capital. So I think a 9-5 is important, while being an entrepreneur is importanter

BTW is it 9-5 lagos? Most private companies no Sabi this one o, they would use work to kill their staffs

The problem is the society you are in which rewards laziness and hard work is looked upon as suffering. The whole system sef is twisted. People who really work are not given their dues, the person who employs labour is allowed to get away with so much BS like not paying salaries, no system of enforcing minimum wage. Then we have people who want to be paid but dont want to work and or want to steal from their boss. Stealing from your oga is seen as sharpness and oga should not talk.

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Sleevia: 7:27am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:
If you are a salary earner, you must be used to hearing these statements from people who are self-employed.

“Immediately after graduation, I vowed never to work for anyone”

“Salary is the token you are paid to forget your dreams”

“Ever since I made up my mind to start my own business, I have realized corporate work is just modern slavery”

“I am my own boss, I control my time”

“You can never get rich working for someone else”... etc

Business people won't allow someone rest. Are we in a competition? The goal is for everyone to earn a living. Why do some of them constantly try to remind us they are living the best life.

These same people have workers o. If we all become business owners, who will patronise the other and who will handle other sectors?

Check well, those who peddle such nonsense are just living from hand to mouth. The real entrepreneurs do not talk like that because they know we are interdependent. There is a difference between and entrepreneur and a 1 one man business.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by henryobinna(m): 7:28am On Sep 19, 2019
it's a way of boosting their over bloated egp...

by the way not every body selling or rendering one tiny service is an entrepreneur otherwise the whole naija na entrepreneurs full am

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 7:28am On Sep 19, 2019
pocohantas:

Why can't I get comfortable in my job? Is it your comfortable? grin Why should a problem lie there?

The Western countries Nigerians are running in mass to; majority don't go there with the hope of trading (this is the definition of entrepreneurship in Nigeria). They go there to do same 9-5, sometimes a less professional one, all to survive.

This means the problem was never the 9-5, but the system, system being the country.

If you can be comfortable with your business despite growing competition and difficulty in doing business which has led to the death of so many businesses in Nigeria. Why should I not be comfortable in my job.

When your business has issues, you blame the government for making it hard for you (and expect me to sympathise with you), BUT when I lose my job- you blame me for being a comfortable salary earner.

Forgetting it is the same system fcking us all, just different styles and orifices.

I am sure there are many 9-5 that your entrepreneurship would never be IMPORTANTER than and vice versa.

Different strokes...
You deserve one Cold Bottle of BIG STOUT.... You spoke my mind to the fullest

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ZinoFasisi: 7:29am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
I recently read an anonymous post of a guy who got a six million naira job immediately after service. From 19,800 to 6million. Will you advise that guy to quit his job just to answer to the term 'entrepreneur'?
Sure not everyone will be like him, just like not everyone can be into business.

500k per month, Nice pay

abi na 36,000,000 per year?

Where he see d work 36million

you should be saying 237,600 to 6million

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Bulletproof: 7:29am On Sep 19, 2019
Na Jealousy...Na their 9 to 5?

If most of them got a well paying job dem nor go dey shout CEO this....CEO that....

The annoying this now be say, person wey dey make bag, beads, peanuts, creams go dey shout CEO up and down and rubbing it on people earning twenty times what they earn who works 9 to 5.
It's just funny.
Dem don too abuse the name CEO. Make dem go check outside naija...mcheew.

E just be like poor man wey talk say make world spoil, make everybody start from scratch again.

By the way sef, if everybody go be entrepreneurs, who go do the 9 to 5 work?

Aside, nor be everyone get the skillset to dey run business, some na corporate world dem go take function well....

Taaa.
Make naija CEOs calm down o....
Make dem free US 9 to 5 gang...

We all dey make our living.

Las las na that one be koko.

10 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by goody1shoe73(m): 7:30am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
I recently read an anonymous post of a guy who got a six million naira job immediately after service. From 19,800 to 6million. Will you advise that guy to quit his job just to answer to the term 'entrepreneur'?
Sure not everyone will be like him, just like not everyone can be into business.
I smell lies

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 7:32am On Sep 19, 2019
Whether you like it or yes, self employment through businesses is far better and greater than 9-5. You can't compare it. However, entrepreneurs saying all those things are simply trying to let you know that the 9-5 is a viscious cycle of poverty. The way they say it should not matter to you. There's a message they are passing to you. Grab the message and ignore the mess. For behind every mess, there's a message.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Sleevia: 7:32am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
6Million per month, from NYSC? Bros, soffry dey lie o. You already said anonymous, so your post should be taken with a pinch of salt

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ScotMisile: 7:32am On Sep 19, 2019
otipoju:
People wey no well. Las las dem go still come borrow from people wey dey work 9-5. Arrogant pricks.

Wicked mann
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by wwwihy: 7:34am On Sep 19, 2019
You guilty of what you are accusing others. Why the generalisation?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Thunday1005(m): 7:35am On Sep 19, 2019
24kmagic:
Truth is, no matter how hard you try, business is not for everyone.

Not every one can be an entrepreneur.

Different strokes for different folks
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by seeker121(m): 7:35am On Sep 19, 2019
Same here bro if one understand the truth
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ZinoFasisi: 7:36am On Sep 19, 2019
Acidosis:

...because they're senseless. Real entrepreneurs don't talk down on 9-5 jobs. The lousy ones are largely the GLND and other multi-level marketing criminals. These ones spend all day and night looking for people to market fake and inferior Chinese drugs.

I have worked for 1 b4, we sell products of 3k for 18k, 7k for 35,
with plenty lies and lies of health benefits, corporate yahoo yahoo

we pray b4 we head out to scam the rich people sha.

i hated the way they be singing, I no fit do salary Job, yet they spend anyhow and can hardly boasts of 500k savings a year only about 5% of them can

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Hedonisco: 7:36am On Sep 19, 2019
Devising your own means to earn a living isn't easy at all. You're not yet a (complete) man if you don't know how to make money on your own without depending on the safety/comfort zone of paid employment.

Worst of all these redundant civil servants who only know how to leech off the system without adding any value.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Bulletproof: 7:36am On Sep 19, 2019
Sleevia:
6Million per month, from NYSC? Bros, soffry dey lie o. You already said anonymous, so your post should be taken with a pinch of salt

Young man, do not argue what you cant confirm.

6m is small sef.

I know of more.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Ishilove: 7:36am On Sep 19, 2019
Vincad:
Per annum or monthly?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / Why You Should Join The Nigeria Police Today!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.