Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,707 members, 7,820,487 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:40 PM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24429 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ironhyde: 8:51pm On Sep 19, 2019
Good day good people, Please has anyone heard or attended any of the training of Nigerian-German Centre for Jobs, Migration, and Reintegration (NGC). please how is it like?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 4:27am On Sep 20, 2019

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by djon78(m): 10:45am On Sep 20, 2019
HBB1:

Entrepreneurship in Naij based on merit?! cheesy

Every successful Entrepreneur leverages on unfair advantage(s), how much more Nigeria.

A certain man got the sole license to import cement years back and today he is the benchmark for measuring wealth.

Another man is believed to be a front for a certain former head of state-- hence his big businesses in Oil and Telecoms were probably not proceeds of sweat like you sweat.

How about the woman who was 'dashed' an Oil well?

Or the retired General that paid 20million USD for his own Oil exploration license (I guess it was his pension)

Or that Presidential aspirant that is one of the biggest employers in the Country.

You think it was all based on merit?

A certain electronic billboard in Lagos is said to be owned by the Son of a very big man. 10 million a month per Ad. and you can count over 10 ads in no time when caught in traffic-- over 10 in a few minutes!

While the tax people are hounding you for money, some businesses are 'exempted' from paying tax. They 'legally' don't pay tax! grin
How about those that AMCON have been chasing up-and-down? People that secured loans without collateral, nothing!

Bros, forget.
If you roll in some circles, you will wonder why you work so hard.

True but has it helped Nigeria in any way?
The country keeps revolving in circle.
Just take a very good look at the economy presently. They should continue, but one thing I have realized in this life is that what ever any man sows he will reap.
It is left for everyman to do what is right, because the results will definitely show.
So to each his own
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by goodman41: 12:50pm On Sep 20, 2019
thariodamaniac:
I have had a job and I have done freelancing.... And I will always choose my freelancing business over and over again even though it means applying for a contract Everytime
pls, can i make it with this skills on freelancing; website design using wordpress, computer repair, computer networking?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:28pm On Sep 20, 2019
It's funny how people think that everyone that does 9-5 work is living in poverty. Work get levels o even this entrepreneurship. Others think entrepreneurship is just one-man business.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Sep 20, 2019
goodman41:
pls, can i make it with this skills on freelancing; website design using wordpress, computer repair, computer networking?
Web design using WordPress... Is quite thin for a niche... Though u may get jobs you are likely to hit a sales ceiling.... The internet is made up of websites beyond WordPress alone.... I will advise you learn basic web design and development first..... Computer repair is not a soft skill.... U won't be able to get clients computer for repairs since people prefer companies.... But u can create a course on it and sell... For those who want to learn...
Computer networking.... Must be remote work.. it depends on what you are doing... Are you testing the network or evaluating it....

But u need soft skills... Web design and development is okay ...
Computer networking and network security is also possible..
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by contumely2: 10:20pm On Sep 20, 2019
ornicus:
I laugh sef. Nigerians that don't have customer service mentality. Uber is a platform for self employed and you are reading of how drivers are beating up passengers for rudeness. Same thing with these sales entrepreneurs who sell you rubbish items with no guarantee. As you are buying you are crossing your fingers. The moment you get small money you step up to buying from amazon where you know you are getting a product that will last.

Nigerian entrepreneurs. Buy original police watch from them at 50 k and strap starts peeling in a week. Buy 10 year guaranteed casio watch from them and it also fails in a week. You get story from them about mishandling, not covered etc. You buy direct from amazon cheaper and no QA issues whatsoever.

Common slot dey swap battery and charger and earphone from case. If low level staff are doing that what is oga doing? My rant about naija entrepreneurs
Are you serious about charger swapping?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 10:57pm On Sep 20, 2019
missimelda01:
Doing a 9-5 isn't the problem, the way some people get comfortable with it is where the problem lies. The advantages of being an entrepreneur are numerous, I don't think anyone would like to do a 9-5 till death but that doesn't change the fact that a 9-5 is necessary sometimes to source for capital. So I think a 9-5 is important, while being an entrepreneur is importanter

BTW is it 9-5 in lagos? Most private companies no Sabi this one o, they would use work to kill their staffs
Which advantage, please? The truth is that the Nigerian environment is very harsh for entrepreneurs. In fact, both entrepreneurship and paid employment have their own peculiar brand of challenges.

As an entrepreneur, you battle funding issues, regulatory and tax authorities, staff problems, product and service quality wahala, customer demands, credit and loan problems etc.

Similar challenges are also faced by employees, depending on their roles.

In my opinion, entrepreneurs work like 3 times harder than those in other sectors.

And forget that story about how entrepreneurs are masters of their own time. The truth is that it is the customers who control the time of the entrepreneurs.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 11:01pm On Sep 20, 2019
SendoSendal:
But an entrepreneur created the 9-5 job you are doing. You also owe it to the generation coming to create their 9-5 jobs.
And can the entrepreneur do everything he is doing all by himself, or can he grow and scale his business without employees?

If everyone becomes an entrepreneur and there are no employees, what would be the outcome?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 11:02pm On Sep 20, 2019
Acidosis:
...because they're senseless. Real entrepreneurs don't talk down on 9-5 jobs. The lousy ones are largely the GLND and other multi-level marketing criminals. These ones spend all day and night looking for people to market fake and inferior Chinese drugs.
Oh God, I can't stop laughing....!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 11:11pm On Sep 20, 2019
OyinO:
Whether you like it or yes, self employment through businesses is far better and greater than 9-5. You can't compare it. However, entrepreneurs saying all those things are simply trying to let you know that the 9-5 is a viscious cycle of poverty. The way they say it should not matter to you. There's a message they are passing to you. Grab the message and ignore the mess. For behind every mess, there's a message.
No sir, it is NOT. In Nigeria, as an entrepreneur you are at the mercy of your customers, your market or the lack of it.

Not all 9-5 jobs are a vicious cycle of poverty. Work for a well-structured firm with good policies, great rewards and career opportunities, including local/foreign travel as well as a good pay package, and you will never want to jump into any entrepreneurial swimming pool. undecided

In fact, you will be doing Thanksgiving in church every month.

A lot of people think every 9-5 job, is like working for a one-man business. It is not like that across different sectors. So free your mind. sad

Many people forget that entrepreneurs do not hit it big, right from inception. Many of them struggle and pray, to make it big. It can take some people years to break even.

In fact, most new start-ups fail within the 1st 5 years, according to research studies, in this area.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by karo93: 12:03am On Sep 21, 2019
thariodamaniac:

Web design using WordPress... Is quite thin for a niche... Though u may get jobs you are likely to hit a sales ceiling.... The internet is made up of websites beyond WordPress alone.... I will advise you learn basic web design and development first..... Computer repair is not a soft skill.... U won't be able to get clients computer for repairs since people prefer companies.... But u can create a course on it and sell... For those who want to learn...
Computer networking.... Must be remote work.. it depends on what you are doing... Are you testing the network or evaluating it....

Your advice is top notch!....

Can someone on the average still make it big in the graphic design business? The market is heavily saturated and its hard to get well paid....

How about video editing and short clips for someone with average skills?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by goodman41: 6:07am On Sep 21, 2019
thariodamaniac:

support and testing
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 10:05am On Sep 21, 2019
goodman41:
support and testing
Possible but it's easier to get more contracts with coding skills... Than the others... Not that computer networking professionals aren't hired but usually it's not easy to get when starting.....

In freelancing take off speed is very important

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by contumely2: 10:55am On Sep 21, 2019
HBB1:

Entrepreneurship in Naij based on merit?! cheesy

Every successful Entrepreneur leverages on unfair advantage(s), how much more Nigeria.

A certain man got the sole license to import cement years back and today he is the benchmark for measuring wealth.

Another man is believed to be a front for a certain former head of state-- hence his big businesses in Oil and Telecoms were probably not proceeds of sweat like you sweat.

How about the woman who was 'dashed' an Oil well?

Or the retired General that paid 20million USD for his own Oil exploration license (I guess it was his pension)

Or that Presidential aspirant that is one of the biggest employers in the Country.

You think it was all based on merit?

A certain electronic billboard in Lagos is said to be owned by the Son of a very big man. 10 million a month per Ad. and you can count over 10 ads in no time when caught in traffic-- over 10 in a few minutes!

While the tax people are hounding you for money, some businesses are 'exempted' from paying tax. They 'legally' don't pay tax! grin
How about those that AMCON have been chasing up-and-down? People that secured loans without collateral, nothing!

Bros, forget.
If you roll in some circles, you will wonder why you work so hard.

Are you serious about the 10m part?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by HBB1(m): 10:59am On Sep 21, 2019
contumely2:

Are you serious about the 10m part?

It's actually just over 10M (monthly).
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by goodman41: 8:16pm On Sep 21, 2019
thariodamaniac:

Possible but it's easier to get more contracts with coding skills... Than the others... Not that computer networking professionals aren't hired but usually it's not easy to get when starting.....

In freelancing take off speed is very important
I can write html and css to develope web pages

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 9:13pm On Sep 21, 2019
goodman41:
I can write html and css to develope web pages
Kk good
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 7:58am On Sep 22, 2019
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 1:03pm On Sep 23, 2019
franchasng:
You are more than correct with the parts in bold.

But very wrong with the parts in red font, and you know why I will explain in details below, the reason why entrepreneurs have the last laugh.

No matter where you work or which company or organization you are working for, you cannot work beyond 70yrs at most, and imagine at 70, you stopped working, and assuming you married late or gave birth late, maybe at age 40, that means your first child is probably 30, others below 30 and probably still in higher institution and you have stopped working.

No matter the level you retired at, your pension stipend cannot take care of you, your family and children's education if you don't have a business to support. And most businesses started after retirement usually don't succeed because they didn't study the market and haven't mastered the art of the business, they just used their gratuity or savings to startup a business based on hearsay that so so and so business is moving well, and some venture into it and lose all their life savings.

If you decide to stay idel after retirement, you are likely going to develop various sickness and be spending most of your life at the hospital bed, and will possibly die before your time.

Now, on the flip side, entrepreneurs already have a thriving business they have struggled to build while growing when their mates were working 9-5 job and enjoying their extra time and having lots of fun with their family and loved ones when the entrepreneur was busy slugging it out to make his or her business have a stronghold.

The entrepreneur have no retirement age unless he decides to retire himself and hire managers or let his children take over while he supervises, which means, his children will not be struggling to find job to start their life with, because they already have a job in their father's or mother's business to start life from at least....while the salary earner's children are busy looking for job to get started, just imagine how difficult it is today for graduates to secure a job, then think of 20 - 30 years from today, do you think there will even be jobs for graduates whose family does not have a job to offer or whose family is not highly connected politically and otherwise Think about this.

I like using myself and people I know as example....

I have 2 family friends I will use as example for you to drive home my point.

The first family friend, i won't mention his name, he was my dad's close friend (my dad senior him though), he retired as a director or a federal ministry, i think level 18 or so...he was a really big man then....but he gave birth a bit late, so some of his kids are still in university now, and the man is freelancing now as an auditor for private firms at 70yrs+, just to raise cash to support his family and kids still in school....and his first son that served since 3 years now, only managed to secure a small pay job not long ago, the daughter is still job hunting as we speak despite her good result.

Now, there is this second family friend, he was a business man then.....he also married late, this man's first son is now the MD of his business, the boy took over the business as soon as he graduated, so he did his NYSC at his father's business...now his father has retired, the guy now runs the business and the boy has taken his father's business to the next level that this business is now booming like kilode....he pays his father 500k monthly, and pays his mom 250k from his father's business....the business has grown so big that most of us now use it as example.

One of his younger sibling that just graduated is now employed there for the mean time while waiting for NYSC. Imagine if their dad didn't had that business

Cases like this abound all over Nigeria.
I have been monitoring this thread closely , I could not get myself to type anything . But your post has closed the case, let he that has eyes read your post and decide which way to go.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:08pm On Sep 23, 2019
Netanyahu1:
I have been monitoring this thread closely , I could not get myself to type anything . But your post has closed the case, let he that has eyes read your post and decide which way to go.
Why choose one when you can do both? Everyone is different and knows what works for him/her
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Sep 23, 2019
GoodBoi1:

Why choose one when you can do both? Everyone is different and knows what works for him/her
Right now I do both, but I will tell you one thing , Nigeria is not the best place to run a business without you being present, they would run you down as fast as the can without any conscience. Rememeber I told you this.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoodBoi1(m): 1:37pm On Sep 23, 2019
Netanyahu1:
Right now I do both, but I will tell you one thing , Nigeria is not the best place to run a business without you being present, they would run you down as fast as the can without any conscience. Remember I told you this.
It is not always like that. A 9-5 worker doesn't have to necessarily run a business in order to have diverse streams of income, different roads lead to the market. I can still have my 9-5 job while making investments in other businesses and projects, I can save and buy lands or other valuable assets that will give me large returns in the future while still being promoted at work with an increase in pay and benefits. I can later move on to start my business comfortably. The key is to find ways to make your money work for you even while you are sleeping, finding diverse streams of income. Some persons have become rich without running the business, others have started businesses and it didn't work out. There are many options a person can take in order to have financial freedom. Like I said before, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. Everyone is at different stages in life and should do what they believe is best for them at that stage. Even as an entrepreneur time will come when you will need others to work for you if you want to go far. We all need each other man. Working for someone else is not wrong and to me, people who say they can never work for someone else are just proud. Pride comes before fall. Checkout out some big names at some time in their life they have worked under someone.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 23, 2019
GoodBoi1:
It is not always like that. A 9-5 worker doesn't have to necessarily run a business in order to have diverse streams of income, different roads lead to the market. I can still have my 9-5 job while making investments in other businesses and projects, I can save and buy lands or other valuable assets that will give me large returns in the future while still being promoted at work with an increase in pay and benefits. I can later move on to start my business comfortably. The key is to find ways to make your money work for you even while you are sleeping, finding diverse streams of income. Some persons have become rich without running the business, others have started businesses and it didn't work out. There are many options a person can take in order to have financial freedom. Like I said before, everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. Everyone is at different stages in life and should do what they believe is best for them at that stage. Even as an entrepreneur time will come when you will need others to work for you if you want to go far. We all need each other man. Working for someone else is not wrong and to me, people who say they can never work for someone else are just proud. Pride comes before fall. Checkout out some big names at some time in their life they have worked under someone.
We are talking about two different things Oga, you are talking about Investment, eg; Stocks, bonds real estate etc.Those are investments you dont have to be there to run. I'm talking about entrepreneurship especially as regards to managing human resourcing with the aim of starting and building a business with name equity like Coca Cola , and Nestle.

Let me rephrase it this way. The people who bought nestle stock are investors meanwhile the people who started and manages it are entrepreneur / Managers, that does not mean you can't be an investor / manager/ entrepreneur.

Part of the definition of entrepreneurship is being able to use the knowledge you have to create new opportunities. Investment on the other hand mainly talks about investing in a venture for the soul purpose of profit.

There was IBM, yet Steve Jobs chose to create and run Apple ( entrepreneurship) to compete with IBM, as opposed to buying IBM shares ( investment ) and continue working his normal job.

Now back to my INITIAL point ,this is for those who can read and learn from my own experience. Try to start a side hustle while you are still working your normal job, and make sure you find a way to be present most times if your business requires humans and cash transactions. In other words if you can , be a security guard at night and be at your business in the morning . If not Nigerians would run you down , 80% of Nigerians can't ethically run other people's business.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoodBoi1(m): 10:05pm On Sep 23, 2019
Netanyahu1:
We are talking about two different things Oga, you are talking about Investment, eg; Stocks, bonds real estate etc.Those are investments you dont have to be there to run. I'm talking about entrepreneurship especially as regards to managing human resourcing with the aim of starting and building a business with name equity like Coca Cola , and Nestle.

Let me rephrase it this way. The people who bought nestle stock are investors meanwhile the people who started and manages it are entrepreneur / Managers, that does not mean you can't be an investor / manager/ entrepreneur.

Part of the definition of entrepreneurship is being able to use the knowledge you have to create new opportunities. Investment on the other hand mainly talks about investing in a venture for the soul purpose of profit.

There was IBM, yet Steve Jobs chose to create and run Apple ( entrepreneurship) to compete with IBM, as opposed to buying IBM shares ( investment ) and continue working his normal job.

Now back to my INITIAL point ,this is for those who can read and learn from my own experience. Try to start a side hustle while you are still working your normal job, and make sure you find a way to be present most times if your business requires humans and cash transactions. In other words if you can , be a security guard at night and be at your business in the morning . If not Nigerians would run you down , 80% of Nigerians can't ethically run other people's business.
I see your point. I was not just addressing your post but also the topic of the thread.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 10:38pm On Sep 23, 2019
GoodBoi1:

I see your point. I was not just addressing your post but also the topic of the thread.
Yea bro. It's only after I lost huge amount of money through rogue workers that people started telling me their own experiences.

In fact if you go to any bank in Nigeria to get small scale business loan they would ask you who the manager is. If you say " my brother , my nephew "or any dick, Tom and Harry that is not you, then you are never getting that loan.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 6:34am On Sep 24, 2019
CeterisXVII:

No sir, it is NOT. In Nigeria, as an entrepreneur you are at the mercy of your customers, your market or the lack of it.

Not all 9-5 jobs are a vicious cycle of poverty. Work for a well-structured firm with good policies, great rewards and career opportunities, including local/foreign travel as well as a good pay package, and you will never want to jump into any entrepreneurial swimming pool. undecided

In fact, you will be doing Thanksgiving in church every month.

A lot of people think every 9-5 job, is like working for a one-man business. It is not like that across different sectors. So free your mind. sad

Many people forget that entrepreneurs do not hit it big, right from inception. Many of them struggle and pray, to make it big. It can take some people years to break even.

In fact, most new start-ups fail within the 1st 5 years, according to research studies, in this area.

You missed my point completely but you're not stupid.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 2:33pm On Sep 24, 2019
OyinO:

You missed my point completely but you're not stupid.
Are you saying you are stupid? undecided
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by DonX001: 2:58pm On Sep 24, 2019
GoldPencil:
I dont think the 9-5 are being talked down on. not in all cases at least. Except a person chooses to view it that way. it's more of a wake up call.
If you go from having no time for yourself and no control over your income regardless of the amount of effort you put in; to the exact opposite, when you see others, it's like watching ppl walk into walls blindfolded.

So you tell them to remove the cloth from their eye. Some ppl take it as insult. Some just enjoy the darkness. To each his own. The eye opening however, is never easy.

Gbam. You've said it all.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Cc: Pocohantas......here lies your answer.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by DonX001: 3:07pm On Sep 24, 2019
Hedonisco:

Since you're talking from your narrow perspective, have you ever bothered to find out how many employees in Nigeria earn up to N150k a month?

When evaluating this matter, you should compare 'like for like'. You don't compare a low level entrepreneur with a mid level manager earning a good salary, or even with an entry level guy working at a plum job like ExxonMobil. That's ridiculous. What's the percentile of graduates working at such jobs in comparison with the vast majority of hungry, underemployed employees slaving away for peanuts every month?

Now check the under 50 home owners across Nigeria's major cities. 90% of them are entrepreneurs. Thousands of average Igbo and Yoruba traders and hustlers own very nice middle class duplexes everywhere across Lagos, Abuja etc. How many 'average' employees can boast of same?

Apart from the tiny percentage of salary earners fortunate enough to have NLNG type of jobs with outrageous salaries, any average employee who owns a decent duplex or even bungalow in a decent part of Lagos or Abuja is likely a thief - benefitting from the corruption that is the only thing that they know how to do. He did not and cannot build/buy a house and live that kind of lifestyle from his legitimate salary.

Better face facts.

Superlative analysis.
Thumbs up!!!
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by pocohantas(f): 3:26pm On Sep 24, 2019
DonX001:

Gbam. You've said it all.
Couldn't have put it better myself.

Cc: Pocohantas......here lies your answer.

I very much know the difference between a wake-up call [whoever appointed them the "waker"] and talking down. I and so many other 9-5s can't be wrong or oblivious of this difference.

So, my answer doesn't lie there. Regards.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 7:09pm On Sep 24, 2019
CeterisXVII:
Are you saying you are stupid? undecided
Everybody is not you. You're only exposing your mind.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / My Employer Robbed Me In Broad Daylight!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.