Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,824 members, 7,820,898 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:04 AM

Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? - Career (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? (24434 Views)

How Do Entrepreneurs That Use Petrol Engines Cope? / 20 Successful Under-40 Entrepreneurs In Nigeria / 4 New Year Resolutions For Entrepreneurs! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by GoldPencil: 8:44pm On Sep 24, 2019
lol. alright. let's drop the diplomatic "wake up call" tag for a second. Can you who presumably has a 9-5, honestly say that you dont talk down at a struggling entrepreneur or someone unemployed? In fact you may even believe that you are "helping the person" but will also feel better off and self righteous as you call them irresponsible for "not just getting a job."

There have been names for people who never ascribed to the 925 life, even as far back as primary sch. We called them NO FUTURE AMBITION.

In uni, most future 925ers assumed they would automatically be better off than those who missed class and got lower grades, because apparrently, office job awaited you once you get your first class. And the "I'm better than you" arrogance was always evident even then. Now those dropouts saw they wont make it with school, so they started companies and employed those who have a piece of paper to show they are employable.

The successful ones end up delegating management of their biz to the employees, enjoying profits, and may even owe them for fun. At that point, talking down becomes the least of the available evils, if one chooses to see it that way. (The same water that softens a carrot or beans when heated, is the same one that hardens an egg).

So long story short. It goes both ways. Whoever thinks they are up will talk down. No be one side.
pocohantas:

I very much know the difference between a wake-up call [whoever appointed them the "waker"] and talking down. I and so many other 9-5s can't be wrong or oblivious of this difference.

So, my answer doesn't lie there. Regards.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by DonX001: 11:26pm On Sep 24, 2019
pocohantas:

I very much know the difference between a wake-up call [whoever appointed them the "waker"] and talking down. I and so many other 9-5s can't be wrong or oblivious of this difference.

So, my answer doesn't lie there. Regards.
Lol...they appointed themselves "wakers", out of love for their fellow man, who they think could be making better choices than what they're currently doing. They're simply being humane.

However, I understand that it may very easily be construed as condescending...which is definitely unacceptable.

I think ultimately every man should find what suits his character, desire and risk appetite, after weighing the pros and cons deeply as has been highlighted in this lovely thread.......however people should be fully aware of and ready to bear whatever consequences arise from their choices, either as an entrepreneur or as an employee.

For me personally, with my own character, desires and risk appetite, there's no substitute for entrepreneurship. Nothing comes close.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nobody: 11:52pm On Sep 24, 2019
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 6:29pm On Sep 25, 2019
OyinO:
Everybody is not you. You're only exposing your mind.
The way you exposed your own mind before, and everyone saw it was empty?
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Nigeriahomebiz(m): 8:15am On Sep 26, 2019
You are missing point.

I am sure most of them don't harass you with their opinions.

Check this thread on 5 reasons to start a home business in nigeria and you will see that they have valid points.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by tpdotnet002: 3:54pm On Sep 26, 2019
Apply for Contents Writer and Website Admin Now
Do you know how to create contents that will get ranked in search engine quickly and effectively?

Do you know how to create non-plagiarism contents?

Do you know how to develop and manage a wordpress website?

We Urgently need someone who can create contents with proper keywords and someone who can manage our website.

if you have the skills and ability in you then....

check www.inform.com.ng now to Apply
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 10:37pm On Sep 29, 2019
CeterisXVII:

The way you exposed your own mind before, and everyone saw it was empty?

Empty minds and skulls are the first to call wise minds empty.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by Balaking: 8:58am On Sep 30, 2019
Please I recently got an offer from FCT emergency management agency under FCDa as entry level on grade 8 (N56,000) , please I need information on career prospects , allowances , benefits and how I'll be able to afford rent in Abuja from a good somebody . Thanks
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 2:11pm On Sep 30, 2019
OyinO:
Empty minds and skulls are the first to call wise minds empty.
Thank you for letting everyone know that your own mind is empty.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 10:56pm On Sep 30, 2019
CeterisXVII:
Thank you for letting everyone know that your own mind is empty.
Just like yours

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by MrAlert(m): 2:26pm On Oct 01, 2019
pocohantas:

Why can't I get comfortable in my job? Is it your comfortable? grin Why should a problem lie there?

The Western countries Nigerians are running in mass to; majority don't go there with the hope of trading (this is the definition of entrepreneurship in Nigeria). They go there to do same 9-5, sometimes a less professional one, all to survive.

This means the problem was never the 9-5, but the system, system being the country.

If you can be comfortable with your business despite growing competition and difficulty in doing business which has led to the death of so many businesses in Nigeria. Why should I not be comfortable in my job.

When your business has issues, you blame the government for making it hard for you (and expect me to sympathise with you), BUT when I lose my job- you blame me for being a comfortable salary earner.

Forgetting it is the same system fcking us all, just different styles and orifices.

I am sure there are many 9-5 that your entrepreneurship would never be IMPORTANTER than and vice versa.

Different strokes...
Gbam!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ayanbaba2(m): 2:50pm On Oct 01, 2019
Nigeriahomebiz:
You are missing point.

I am sure most of them don't harass you with their opinions.

Check this thread on 5 reasons to start a home business in nigeria and you will see that they have valid points.

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by CeterisXVII: 10:07am On Oct 02, 2019
OyinO:
Just like yours
You just repeated the fact that your mind is empty. Well done.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by OyinO: 7:08pm On Oct 02, 2019
CeterisXVII:
You just repeated the fact that your mind is empty. Well done.
The reason you won't let go is because you're empty headed. Leave me alone.
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ctleurocollege: 5:13pm On Oct 04, 2019
armadeo:

Oga Jarus. Lol. Even you.

To be frank if some people see better 9 to 5 they will flee thier entrepreneur story.

I tried he side hustle before with normal 9 to 5. I quit the side bustle cos it wasnt worth it at all, when I am using salary to pay salary of others.

grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ctleurocollege: 5:15pm On Oct 04, 2019
Jarus:
I have a 9-5 job and a side business. All the turnover (not even profit) I have made from it in 6 years is less than my 3 month gross pay from 9-5 job . Imagine leaving 9-5 job for that. The hunger ehnnn.

grin
Re: Why Do Entrepreneurs Talk Down On 9-5? by ctleurocollege: 8:12pm On Oct 04, 2019
kiddkash:

You can never get rich working for someone else
exactly. all the rich men in the world, none of them have jobs, they all have businesses

while people go to school, then nysc and use their God given talent to better those rich men
if you as a human being can find a passion and know how to monetize it,
the rich men will keep using you to make wealth for themselves

The greatest lie I've ever heard

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

The 10 Most Inspirational Female Engineers In The World / CBN Bars Banks From Sacking More Than 5 Staff Without Approval / My Employer Robbed Me In Broad Daylight!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.