Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,260 members, 7,836,191 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 10:32 PM

Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival (50227 Views)

Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi Celebrates Her Mother's Birthday (Pictures) / Ooni Of Ife's Wife Stepped On "Osùn", Not Blood / Meet Simi Oluwaseyi Phebian, Sister Of Ooni Of Ife's Wife Changes Her Bio (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Olu317(m): 7:21pm On Oct 09, 2019
greyboy,
I respect Bini Kingdom as I respect Oyo Empire because these Kingdoms did make Yoruba proud. But you people of Edo extract don't always want to acknowledged the humble Yoruba ancestors willingness who helped the people they met in these new land God pushed them to . These men didn't care about self interest but humanity but today, some of you people lie and deny the Yoruba impact in Igodmigodo land. Oga, I am a radical descendant of Odua with fact and he was too . I don't joke with the reality aspects of my ancestors.

Say the truth always bro and the peace within comes.

2 Likes

Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by gregyboy(m): 7:22pm On Oct 09, 2019
Olu317:

It is in your Edo history through BBC, that Oranmian was the first man who came on horse to Igodomigodo around 1170 AD . This alone is civilization to Edo people.

It is on record that Bini is a name that's of Yoruba origin Edo land. This is civilization.

It is on record that the name ‘Ora'. came through a son of Bini Oba's kingdom's Prince . This name has been in Yoruba land immemorial. This is civilization because Yoruba taught you their word as part of your lexicon.

It is on record that Yoruba knowledge of Religion of Oranmi ela ( Ifaodu ) came to Bini. This is civilization to you people.

All these happened before 1300AD that your Art existed,which actually mean Yoruba taught you Art work......Please doubt me and let me give you research work on Art works in Bini and Ife.

Cheers.

Lol.....funny man
You are using both toaf ans olu137 account nice

First of all ile ife nevered used horse the only people who used horse were oyo as a resukt of migration of the fulani into oyo at late 18c and it was much more later after the death of oduduwa and this horses didnt last....because of thier region so it was quickly forgone

The horse with a man that was mistaken by western historian as benin art
Was actually a benin republic art work not a benin artwork
So young mam no yoruba came on horse to benin

Also because the word “ora" its a yoruba word meaning it was introduce by yorubas to benin or because obama has the word oba meaning nigeria colonized kenya

I dare you prove your point not with only links pictures artefact anything to make it correct
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by gregyboy(m): 7:35pm On Oct 09, 2019
Olu317:
greyboy,
I respect Bini Kingdom as I respect Oyo Empire because these Kingdoms did make Yoruba proud. But you people of Edo extract don't always want to acknowledged the humble Yoruba ancestors willingness who helped the people they met in these new land God pushed them to . These men didn't care about self interest but humanity but today, some of you people lie and deny the Yoruba impact in Igodmigodo land. Oga, I am a radical descendant of Odua with fact and he was too . I don't joke with the reality aspects of my ancestors.

Say the truth always bro and the peace within comes.

Izoduwa was nothing to benin....

Neither was it the sole progeniture of the yoruba race he only happened to have been banished by the benins and found is way to ife and yorubas made him the greatest king ever....

Oba ewuare and ewakpe is the only king who had made benin great izoduwa was nothing here get your fact right....

Benins did enough to civilized yorubas ...

Our chiefs were there to guide the onni through and the ooni sculpture was buried in benin
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Obalufon: 7:48pm On Oct 09, 2019
gregyboy:

Lol.....funny man

First of all ile ife nevered used horse the only people who used horse were oyo as a resukt of migration of the fulani into oyo at late 18c and it was much more later after the death of oduduwa and this horses didnt last....because of thier region so it was quickly forgone

Also because the word “ora" its a yoruba word meaning it was introduce by yorubas to benin or because obama has the word oba meaning nigeria colonized kenya

I dare you prove your point not with only links pictures artefact anything to make it correct

laughing .can't discredit yoruba for being equestrian people the first horse was brought by ife to benin go and do your research ... migration of fulani into oyo at 18century... lol... you are a fool.... oyo katunga was coin out of ibi it le gbeti yo Oyo.. the spot oranmiyan fell from his horse back is where the city is built and named OYO after the even that took place according to ifa

1 Like

Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Obalufon: 7:53pm On Oct 09, 2019
gregyboy:

Izoduwa was nothing to benin....

Neither was it the sole progeniture of the yoruba race he only happened to have been banished by the benins and found is way to ife and yorubas made him the greatest king ever....

Oba ewuare and ewakpe is the only king who had made benin great izoduwa was nothing here get your fact right....

Benins did enough to civilized yorubas ...

Our chiefs were there to guide the onni through and the ooni sculpture was buried in benin

Benin civilize yoruba you would have said edo civilize yoruba,, Benin remain part of ife Yoruba like it or not
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by gregyboy(m): 8:01pm On Oct 09, 2019
Obalufon:

Benin civilize yoruba you would have said edo civilize yoruba,, Benin remain part of ife Yoruba like it or not

Ife remain part of benin like it or not
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by gregyboy(m): 8:03pm On Oct 09, 2019
Obalufon:

laughing .can't discredit yoruba for being equestrian people the first horse was brought by ife to benin go and do your research ... migration of fulani into oyo at 18century... lol... you are a fool.... oyo katunga was coin out of ibi it le gbeti yo Oyo.. the spot oranmiyan fell from his horse back is where the city is built and named OYO after the even that took place according to ifa

Why will argue from a tribe that didnt document thier history....lol

Go for nap

Soon you will tell me oromiyan also fell from sky
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by TAO11(f): 8:06pm On Oct 09, 2019
Olu317:
I hope so he bows to the truth and reality. You see,in my study,the Yoruba Scholars before us and we the present scholars underestimated the prowess of our ancestors strength in godliness and scientific resolution. Infact,they were SUPER HUMANS called ‘gods'.

This is the reason I became shocked with the understanding of the semitic pictograms called classic Hebrew and unequal parallel knowledge of Yorubas ancestors religion called Ifaodu in the whole of SUBSAHARA AFRICA.

Yoruba Rocks, sibling!

If you really expect that guy to embrace reality, then you will wait for eternity. Lol.

He is a mythomaniac.

Almost a 100% of whatever escapes from his lips (or fingers in this case, lol) are lies.

But the saddest part is that he himself knows those words to be blatant lies only just before they drop.

As soon as they drop, he himself gets immediately deceived and tricked into believing his own lies. Lol

It is that serious.

But I am coming for him shortly.

I know he will be wetting his underwear already as soon as he reads that I am coming for him.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Obalufon: 8:36pm On Oct 09, 2019
Greyboy Do you know what IRUKERE is ..that alone is a prove of our equestrian culture

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Olu317(m): 10:09pm On Oct 09, 2019
gregyboy:

Lol.....funny man

Are you a joke as regard the identity of Ora?

The name ora has been part of Yoruba lexicons from time immemorial but not so with Bini. Ora is the identity that give birth to Orun( sunlight) , Ara(thunder) from the foundation of Yoruba language and history . Infact, Oba Ewuare Ozolua was referred as Okpame at one time during the founding of Ora before he became an Oba in Bini land after some years in Uwokha Ivbiosakon around 1473 AD, after he fled Bini kingdom. The same prince was a descendant of Owomika (Eweka), who invariably was son of Oranmian,an Ogun descendant,who was Odua descendant. Interestingly, Odua which is the name of the founder of the Dynasty in Yoruba is an ancestor name known as epithet because Alafin(Olofin) Oshinmole is the name of the founder of Yoruba land in Nigeria. Odu-dua which is derived from IfaOdu is actually non historical with Edo lies.

Try to google this about Edo's account about the first prince that invaded Edo land from Ileife. Please do yourself the favour.
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Olu317(m): 7:16am On Oct 10, 2019
TAO11:

If you really expect that guy to embrace reality, then you will wait for eternity. Lol.

He is a mythomaniac.

Almost a 100% of whatever escapes from his lips (or fingers in this case, lol) are lies.

But the saddest part is that he himself knows those words to be blatant lies only just before they drop.

As soon as they drop, he himself gets immediately deceived and tricked into believing his own lies. Lol

It is that serious.

But I am coming for him shortly.

I know he will be wetting his underwear already as soon as he reads that I am coming for him.

Yes ooh sibbling, you are correct because I am very sure gregyboy and many Oviedos( children of Edo land) who were descendants of the aborigines to the land before Oranmian and his group founded that new place known as Bina(Binu) Land in Igodomigodo had always wanted to distort history about the reality that invaders came to their unorganized land with a different people, culture, myth, language,Kingly regalia, Fabrics etc.

This distortion has made other ethnic groups that are not Yorubas and Edo to think, Liars like some of these Oviedos have a case ,when in reality they are bunch of people looking for a way out their misery to save face.Interestingly, Yorubas don't care about the expository of civilization to Edos. Take for instance:

1. they Claim Olokun as theirs, yet there is no where in their land(Igodomigodo), that has deposits of Artifacts that are found in Olokun Grove in IleIfe, which at at least dated back to 1200AD-1500AD,which is the date projected to be production or the ritual use of the Human Visual Arts

2. Frobenius , dug out the Head of Ori Olokun at Ileife between 1910-1912,with evidence of the location of Olokun's people and the land of origin of Olokun,which is Yoruba land. But the Liars from the other side claimed Olokun came out of Bini Land grin. In fact Benin British Museum says, ‘it is said that an ancient king of Benin once defeated the sea-god Olokun in a wrestling match on the beach and took from him the coral which the kings have used for their regalia ever since.'

The above statement is a lie from the pit of hell. Are these Oviedos online and offline not distorting history with their perpetual distortion that even went as far as British Museum ? Funny set of people grin

Cheers
Re: Ooni Of Ife & Wife, Morenike Naomi Oluwaseyi At The Olojo Festival by Olu317(m): 7:56am On Oct 10, 2019
gregyboy,

these are statemwnt credited to Yoruba Art when in Exhibition in the recent past. The British Museum, says, ‘By all standards, the current exhibition in the British Museum entitled, Kingdom of Ife: Sculptures from West Africa, is outstanding.' This has been acknowledged by most critics and commentators. The British press is full of praises and enthusiasm.

An article by Jonathan Jones, entitled, “The divine art of the Kingdom of Benin” in The Guardian bears a headline declaring: “Harmonious and humane, the sculptures of this lost African city have a greatness that any civilisation would recognise. “ The same writer states in another article in The Guardian: “This is an exceptional exhibition, even by the high standards the British Museum has established in recent years. It is extraordinary because it brings together such a large number of masterpieces that have rarely or never been exhibited outside Nigeria before – and when I say masterpieces, I mean artworks that rank with the Terracotta Army, the Parthenon or the mask of Tutankhamun as treasures of the human spirit.” “What we see here is an African classical art – by which I mean an art with a strong concept of order that gives it a special authority, whether it comes from Athens, China or Ife. Like that of ancient Egypt, the art of Ife is perfect, remote, godlike and yet – as with Egypt – when you look again it is highly observational, rooted in the real life of this lost civilisation.”

Michael Glover, in The Independent declared: “At the same historical moment that Andrea del Verrocchio was doing his wonderfully painstaking, high Renaissance drawing of a female head which can be seen elsewhere in this building, anonymous artisans in Ife were working with brass, bronze – yes, these Africans knew all about bronze casting long before the Europeans arrived to show them how – copper and terracotta to produce a series of exquisite heads that are not only the equal of Donatello in technical brilliance, but also just as naturalistic in their refinement. So much for African primitivism.”

The Art Newspaper acknowledges that: “the impact of these extraordinarily naturalistic works continues to resonate today”

Richard Dorment describes in The Telegraph the quality of the sculptures as flabbergasting: “This is the first show ever devoted to the sculpture of Ife anywhere in the world. The quality of the full length statues, portrait heads, ritual objects and vessels loaned by Nigeria’s National Commission for Museums and Monuments is flabbergasting. What can I say? Shows like this come along once in a lifetime.”

Stephen Terence Welsh, Curator of Living Cultures at The Manchester Museum has described the Ife Crowned Head, in possession of the British Museum, shown as part of the exhibition as follows: This exquisite brass sculpture was one of the most important archaeological discoveries of the 20th century, it revolutionised the way academics and artists interpreted Africa. It is an icon.

Leo Frobenius encountered or, to follow Western terminology, “discovered“ Ife art in 1910. He attributed the works he saw to some lost Greek tribe since he could hardly believe that those were the works of Africans. Wole Soyinka, in his 1986 Nobel Lecture, criticized Frobenius for his schizophrenic view of Yoruba art and the Yoruba. Frobenius was overwhelmed by the beauty of Ife art: "Before us stood a head of marvellous beauty, wonderfully cast in antique bronze, true to the life, incrusted with a patina of glorious dark green. This was, in very deed, the Olokun, Atlantic Africa's Poseidon." But the same Frobenius also expressed contempt for the people he met at Ife: "I was moved to silent melancholy at the thought that this assembly of degenerate and feeble-minded posterity should be the legitimate guardians of so much loveliness.”

Ekpo Eyo, leading authority on Ife and Nigerian art, writes that Frobenius was astonished by the quality of Ife sculptures and observed that they were “eloquent of symmetry, vitality, a delicacy of form directly reminiscent of ancient Greece and proof that once upon a time, a race, far superior in strain to the Negro had settled there”.

Frobenius on arrival at Ife set about to collect artefacts but even the British colonialists had to restrain him in his collection frenzy. He wanted to take away a crowned head, “Ori Olokun” but was prevented from doing so by the British colonial administration which had received complaints from people of Ife about the activities of the German ethnologists. Still he managed to take many artefacts away that are now in the Frobenius Institute in Frankfurt, and in the Ethnology Museum, Berlin, Germany. Glenn Penny writes in his book, Objects of Culture: Ethnology and Ethnographic Museums in Imperial Germany as follows: “During his travels in Nigeria in 1911, Frobenius came into direct conflict with the British authorities concerning his collecting policies in what has come to be known as the Olokun Affair. This incident developed following complaints by the inhabitants of Ife, the sacred capital of the Yoruba country in southern Nigeria that Frobenius had mistreated and deceived them, and had taken away religious objects without their consent. The principal item in dispute was the bronze head of the god Olokun, which Frobenius claimed to have “discovered” in a groove outside the walls of Ife, but which the town’s inhabitants accused him of stealing. As a result of the complaints, which followed Frobenius’s departure from the city British authorities summoned him before an improvised British court and eventually forced him to return many of the items he had acquired from the area”.

The above commendation are based on Art that had been claimed to be existence on or before 1200AD which were before Yoruba met Igodomigodo(Original Oviedos) ancestors.

It is of truth that Artifacts were taken away by British invaders around 1896-1897 in Edo land,which makes some pf you cry blue murder but are the Edos the only group whose Artifacts were being kept in European Countries or the West?Of course not. In fact, it is rumour tha the original “olokun” that Frobenius saw in 1910 has mysteriously disappeared. Ekpo states: “The original “Olokun” head described by Frobenius is now represented only by a copy; no one knows where the original is. It is not impossible that Frobenius could have arranged for its subsequent replacement with a copy.”, So stop making it look as if Edo Arts are as valued as Yoruba's. Beside, Yoruba ancestors scientific knowledge and religious knowledge Ifaodu helped shaped many people's lives in Nigeria which Edo is included.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Man Puts Python In His Mouth In Osun State (Photos) / Malagasy Peoples: A Beautiful Blend Of African And Asian Peoples / Olori Memunat, Alaafi Of Oyo's Wife Celebrates Her Birthday With Stunning Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.