Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,302 members, 7,954,201 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 02:07 PM

Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday (15895 Views)

Kaduna Secure $6 Million Loan For Light Rail And BRT Projects / Tinubu Talking About Lagos Light Rail, BRT Lanes And PPP Models (Throwback) / Ambode Spends Over 100mn Euros On Lagos Light Rail Project (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tollyboy5(m): 1:48am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

Sadly, they pull this rubbish all the time and the poor and ignorant masses with predisposed mentality to yell and shout corrupt just swallow without thinking or using their own brains.

Ethiopia Metro rail is just a metro rail, but Lagos Metro is a combination of roads, 10 lane freeway, over water bridge and so on.

you're the major ignorant person here actually. If 1.2 billion dollars was the budget for the contract because Lagos is a lagoon state then why was the excuse of the delay on delivery due to lagoons and lack of fund undecided . you deliberately omit the part were loan was meant to fund the project but no loan was actually acquired instead the project was stylishly abandoned. it's my hood I knw how things go around okokomaiko with us I'm still searching for the water ways or lagoon from mile 2 to okokomaiko that made the Lagos state government not able to even complete just ten lane for people, to ease suffering and traffic I'm still also wondering about the massive lagoons from okokomaiko to marina since I do go to Epe frequently undecided or are you telling us living in those area that we are blind and ignorant.

seems you're actually the ignorant one. you don't need to post smart ass comments to support mediocre.
many project like ikeja bus terminal, eko Atlantic , oshodi terminal and other misplaced project with siphoning of money from lagosians to boots campaign for parties could have completed this project In the first place. but because the project can't be over padded they decide to abandon the international road that would have brought more investment to the state.

you were quick to shift the blame on the Chinese construction company but ignored the part where the governors were dodging questions about the metro rail. so if the governors can't give transparent explanations on trillion naira budget of the state and why the metro rail is stagnant, why shift the blame to the Chinese firm , did Nigeria politicians jazz Nigeria from not questioning them ? undecided instead you're quick to defend them with smart sh1t.

I don't hold much grudges on ambode though since he transformed the once neglected Epe division of Lagos that the previous criminal abandoned, he has tried. they never wanted us to leave Lagos state and stand alone as lagoon state yet no project was awarded to Epe division not until ambode came. now they want Efcc to get him and the foolish Assembly left all the other embezzlement cases to witch hunt ambode to favor some idiot.
if you don't ask questions that's your business but saying those asking are ignorant and yet you don't have reasonable reasons undecided you're part of the problem .

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by emmnprince(m): 1:57am On Sep 30, 2019
When I read news of this kind, I just pity this country.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:26am On Sep 30, 2019
Pennyways:
such a lengthy post expressing Nigeria sorrows at 59 after independent

Meanwhile, I can't afford my expensive time in read such, only the headline and few paragraphs explain really the situation of Nigeria our dear OP is trying to inform us though we are aware.

Our more worries now is our economy

Electricity

Fulani herdsmen

APC

And how to revoke bubu out of Aso Rock

^^^
undecided

What are you trying to say sir?
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:29am On Sep 30, 2019
Idaraesit98:
Didn’t bother reading..Too long cry

^^^^
Read it.

I read the entire thing in less than 6 minutes.

If you have anything, anything at all to do in Lagos, the issues raised in that writeup affect you. Hell, if you have anything to do with Nigeria, the issues raised in that write up affect you.

Read it and learn something.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:32am On Sep 30, 2019
drshrewd:
development is a process not an event. It take some time to get to your desired destination. Lagos shall get there one day

^^^
That's not good enough sir.

The writeup has brought up some hard questions that demand answers. Lagos will NEVER get there if those answers are not provided.

Wishful thinking doesn't lead to development. Purposeful action does.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:41am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

Nigerians and ignorant comparisons, must we always needlessly compare especially with illogical and ignorant facts.

1. Lagos is a state in Nigeria, Ethiopia is a country with sovereign wealth fund and capacity to fund or borrow.

2. There is nothing comparable with both projects, Lagos Metro Rail is a combination of Metro rail, 10 lane freeway, BRT lane, stations and overhead bridges and a Metro bridge over the Lagos Lagoon.

So how related and comparable are both projects?

The $475 billion Ethiopia spent on ordinary metro rail is probably what they spent on the Metro Bridge over Lagos Lagoon alone in Lagos

This is how these Nigerian bloggers misguide and misinform poor and ignorant news consumers in Nigeria, they read their trash, they swallow them and start acting as if they've just been fed credible info.

^^^
The FOI act should be domesticated in Lagos state, so that the people can get the facts for themselves without being 'misinformed by bloggers'. They can make comparisons (between Addis and Lagos or wherever) from a position of knowledge.

The truth will make us free.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:47am On Sep 30, 2019
novaman:
Nigerian Journalist and sensational headlines for to sell Paper. This journalist was quick to make comparison with Ethiopia since we are all Africans but forgot to state that even in the same state, the same distance in different directions could cost different amounts due to the different topography of the terrain.

I took time to study the Ethiopia light rail and discovered that apart from the elevated track like the one in Lagos, there is no part of the project where they needed to construct a bridge over Lagoon and that cost quite a lot but the difference in the total contract sum could be significant.

The length of the elevated track could be an additional cost. So comparison should be eliminated in the discussion completely.

We should focus more on the reason for the delay and ask why it cost that much. The reporter should be able to cost the Chinese government and companies for more details, who know maybe the problem and delays could be from them.

^^^
The secrecy is the issue.

Any Lagos taxpayer should be able to get all (and I mean all the facts about the project) at the stroke of a keyboard. Any stake holder in Lagos should be able to get the project EIA and other project information without having to squeeze water out of stone.

The FOI Act should apply to Lagos state - and all other states in the federation. Until this happens we are fooling ourselves. Domestication of the Act will not solve all Nigeria's problems but it is a step in the right direction - towards ending the guesswork, speculation etc.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 2:51am On Sep 30, 2019
tiredoflife:
The agbero angle is key
Lagos politics is won by agberos
They control the parks and streets.
A modern lagos transport system is bad for politics
It means the cash cow of free money will be gone
Tinubu makes daily money from all parks and bus stops and the agberos who are the middle men get a cut
That's why the likes of mc oluomo are rich and used during politics

^^^
I am waiting for some people on this thread to challenge your summary of the real issues at play in that state. But something tells me they won't.

The truth shall make us free.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NGpatriot: 2:55am On Sep 30, 2019
tollyboy5:

you're the major ignorant person here actually. If 1.2 billion dollars was the budget for the contract because Lagos is a lagoon state then why was the excuse of the delay on delivery due to lagoons and lack of fund undecided . you deliberately omit the part were loan was meant to fund the project but no loan was actually acquired instead the project was stylishly abandoned. it's my hood I knw how things go around okokomaiko with us I'm still searching for the water ways or lagoon from mile 2 to okokomaiko that made the Lagos state government not able to even complete just ten lane for people, to ease suffering and traffic I'm still also wondering about the massive lagoons from okokomaiko to marina since I do go to Epe frequently undecided or are you telling us living in those area that we are blind and ignorant.

1. Your first ignorant comment, concluding that this is an abandoned project, this project is ongoing and was never abandoned even though work slowed down for several and legitimate reasons and challenges.

2. No fund was borrowed for the first phase f the project so I don't get your ignorant comment about lying and abandoning the project.

3. You can rant and rave due to your own ignorance and lack or any understanding about the project, but the project is ongoing and you are still ignorant about the project,

seems you're actually the ignorant one. you don't need to post smart ass comments to support mediocre.
many project like ikeja bus terminal, eko Atlantic , oshodi terminal and other misplaced project with siphoning of money from lagosians to boots campaign for parties could have completed this project In the first place. but because the project can't be over padded they decide to abandon the international road that would have brought more investment to the state.

1. Eko Atlantic is a private project funded with private funds, it is not a state project, this is another reflection of your ignorance and lack of any knowledge about Lagos state and state projects.

2. You are free to run your mouth and spew baseless and unprovable rubbish about padding and siphoning, but it's just ignorant and baseless rubbish with zero facts and substance.

you were quick to shift the blame on the Chinese construction company but ignored the part where the governors were dodging questions about the metro rail. so if the governors can't give transparent explanations on trillion naira budget of the state and why the metro rail is stagnant, why shift the blame to the Chinese firm , did Nigeria politicians jazz Nigeria from not questioning them ? undecided instead you're quick to defend them with smart sh1t.

I don't remember blaming the Chinese company for anything, this is a reflection of your own ignorance and inability to read and comprehend.

If you have facts and evidence of wrongdoing, show us your facts and evidence instead barking like bingo with ignorant and made up assertions.

I don't hold much grudges on ambode though since he transformed the once neglected Epe division of Lagos that the previous criminal abandoned, he has tried. they never wanted us to leave Lagos state and stand alone as lagoon state yet no project was awarded to Epe division not until ambode came. now they want Efcc to get him and the foolish Assembly left all the other embezzlement cases to witch hunt ambode to favor some idiot.
if you don't ask questions that's your business but saying those asking are ignorant and yet you don't have reasonable reasons undecided you're part of the problem .

Typical ignorant rubbish, rumor-mongering and factless assertions which you are entitled to.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NGpatriot: 2:58am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
The FOI act should be domesticated in Lagos state, so that the people can get the facts for themselves without being 'misinformed by bloggers'. They can make comparisons (between Addis and Lagos or wherever) from a position of knowledge.

You are right about FOI, but this is not the issue here, this is about the false and misleading comparisons between this project and the one in Ethiopia.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:00am On Sep 30, 2019
novaman:
Nigerian Journalist and sensational headlines for to sell Paper. This journalist was quick to make comparison with Ethiopia since we are all Africans but forgot to state that even in the same state, the same distance in different directions could cost different amounts due to the different topography of the terrain.

I took time to study the Ethiopia light rail and discovered that apart from the elevated track like the one in Lagos, there is no part of the project where they needed to construct a bridge over Lagoon and that cost quite a lot but the difference in the total contract sum could be significant.

The length of the elevated track could be an additional cost. So comparison should be eliminated in the discussion completely.

We should focus more on the reason for the delay and ask why it cost that much. The reporter should be able to cost the Chinese government and companies for more details, who know maybe the problem and delays could be from them.

^^^^
Why should you (and everyone else) be forced to speculate on the possible reasons for contract variation and delays in project completion time? Don't you deserve answers? Questions have been asked about this project for years and no real response has been forthcoming. Why?

The journalist is not holding office on behalf of the people. Who should be held to a higher standard - a journalist (important as his role in the Republic is) or an elected governor holding a position of public trust?

The truth will indeed make us free.

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:02am On Sep 30, 2019
tollyboy5:

The LAMATA’s Head of Media and Communications, Mr Kolawole Ojelabi, said in Lagos that the project was stopped for almost three years because of various problems of obstruction on the RoW.

“We have given different completion dates for the project but one of the challenges that we had was that the train was originally to go to the Iddo Railway Terminus but the Railway Act did not allow us to do such.

“Since we could not take the train station to Iddo, we had to change the alignment, and in changing that, there were a lot of obstructions on the way.

“For instance, there is a fertiliser plant around Ijora belonging to the Federal Government; we had to negotiate to use their compound so that we could take away their warehouse. We had to build another warehouse for them.

“Around Ijora too, there was a mosque that we had to demolish and build another one.

“Then moving into the lagoon, there were two major challenges: there was the relocation of gas link, a gas pipe underneath the lagoon, which also took some time.

“We also discovered that there was the wreckage of a ship that was at the bottom of the lagoon, that also had to be removed. These delayed the time line for the delivery of the project

https://punchng.com/lagos-light-rail-to-begin-operation-in-2022/

There are many challenges facing this project that ignorant people like you won't bother to study or consider, but you prefer to go on and on about rumors, gossips and made up stories and innuendoes.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:04am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^

Let us settle the main issue, are the projects the same and comparable, yes or no.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:09am On Sep 30, 2019
praiseoski:
Who took note of the paragraph that stated that the Chinese company recorded $182million in their financial statement as cost for the project, while the Lagos State govt claimed 1.2billion...

This is not d problem of leaders, because the leaders are not foreigners, they were taken from us. This country is iredeemable.. the day Another party takes over APC in Lagos State, we'll hear the full gist

Smh

So, Ethiopia built a less intensive rail only project for $475 million, but Lagos state spent only $182 million on a more intensive rail project consisting of a 10 lane freeway, BRT lanes, overhead bridges, stations and a bridge across the Lagos Lagoon?

Does this really make sense to you? Do you people think at all?
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:10am On Sep 30, 2019
NGpatriot:

You are right about FOI, but this is not the issue here, this is about the false and misleading comparisons between this project and the one in Ethiopia.

^^^
As I mentioned in my response to someone else on this thread - the secrecy and lack of transparency IS the issue.

Perhaps you can shed some light on the matter. Can you direct me to some resources on the web that will provide answers to the very cogent questions raised on this thread. For a billion dollar project - that is surely not too much to ask.

I don't need to beat down a path to the governor or the commissioner of transport's office to get answers. For a project this big, everything (and I mean everything) about the project should be on the LASG website.

Once the veil is lifted, baseless comparisons with other projects in Ethiopia (or wherever) will become redundant.

The truth will liberate us now and forever.

5 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NGpatriot: 3:19am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
As I mentioned in my response to someone else on this thread - the secrecy and lack of transparency IS the issue.

Perhaps you can shed some light on the matter. Can you direct me to some resources on the web that will provide answers to the very cogent questions raised on this thread. For a multi-billion US dollar project - that is surely not too much to ask.

I don't need to beat down a path to the governor or the commissioner of transport's office to get answers. For a project this big, everything (and I mean everything) about the project should be on the LASG website.

Once the veil is lifted, baseless comparisons with other projects in Ethiopia (or wherever) will become redundant.

The truth will liberate us now and forever.

I don't think so, the main issue here is the baseless comparison and the assertion that the projects are comparable

You are free to approach the courts to force the state to produce facts regarding funding for the project, but the main issue here is the baseless comparisons, they are definitely not the same or comparable.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:19am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

Let us settle the main issue, are the projects the same and comparable, yes or no.

^^^
I don't know if the projects are the same and comparable, sir. And that's why the veil must be lifted. I've got to see, touch and feel the fruit to know if I've got apples or oranges. Or both.

Is it indeed true (as some posters here have insisted) that there is a significant difference between the project cost as stated by the contractor (in its financial statements) and the contract sum stated by the client (the LASG)? Nobody has addressed this.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tollyboy5(m): 3:19am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

There are many challenges facing this project that ignorant people like you won't bother to study or consider, but you prefer to go on and on about rumors, gossips and made up stories and innuendoes.

your comprehension problem is not much like the previous slowpoke that quoted me. my emphasis is not on the completion of blue rail that's questionable. the dilapidated road from mile 2 to okomaiko that is causing alot to we living in those area has no lagoon or pipeline. or what pipe line is the excuse for not completing ten lane in almost twelve years! just from mile 2 to okokomaiko. bluerail is just the title of the white elephant project but the blue rail is not what is killing us.
I'll sleep inside the bus from okokomaiko to mile2 and wake up hours later I'm still on the road sweating, yet you're posting smart sh1t about pipeline. I don't think you live around there. and if those idiot in government lives in those area something would have been done to the road and maybe complete the blue rail later.
imagine my area don't even have brt because of the road not to talk of uber. angry if you don't have reasonable answers to us living in those area don't tell us crappy things to defend incompetency

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:29am On Sep 30, 2019
tollyboy5:

your comprehension problem is not much like the previous slowpoke that quoted me. my emphasis is not on the completion of blue rail that's questionable. the dilapidated road from mile 2 to okomaiko that is causing alot to we living in those area has no lagoon or pipeline. or what pipe line is the excuse for not completing ten lane in almost twelve years! just from mile 2 to okokomaiko. bluerail is just the title of the white elephant project but the blue rail is not what is killing us.
I'll sleep inside the bus from okokomaiko to mile2 and wake up hours later I'm still on the road sweating, yet you're posting smart sh1t about pipeline. I don't think you live around there. and if those idiot in government lives in those area something would have been done to the road and maybe complete the blue rail later.
imagine my area don't even have brt because of the road not to talk of uber. angry if you don't have reasonable answers to us living in those area don't tell us crappy things to defend incompetency

tollyboy5:

The project was ongoing when it was handed over to Ambode, but Ambode sat on his lazy arse for 4 years and abandoned and neglected that road, this is the same Ambode you are praising while blaming other people for the mess the same Ambode created.

See, this is the ignorance and cluelessness people like you display, you just jun on the internet to spew rubbish based on who you like or don't like while ignoring facts and realities.

The new governor already mandated for the road to be fixed ASAP, but the question I need to ask you Ambode lover is, why did Ambode refuse to build that road and why he favored his own pet projects in his town and bus stops over the same road you are raving about that other neglected because the last time I checked, Ambode was the governor of Lagos state for 4 years.

Btw, that road was one of the reasons why Lagosians kicked him out of office.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:34am On Sep 30, 2019
NGpatriot:

I don't think so, the main issue here is the baseless comparison and the assertion that the projects are comparable

You are free to approach the courts to force the state to produce facts regarding funding for the project, but the main issue here is the baseless comparisons, they are definitely not the same or comparable.

^^^
undecided

Perhaps people are making 'baseless' comparisons because they don't have all the information they need to make valid comparisons? Not everyone is a mischief maker out to stir up trouble.

On the FOI matter, I say no Sir.

The FOI issue exposed the duplicity of the then Lagos governor, Fashola. After condemning (and rightly so I might add) the graft and venality of the Goodluck Jonathan led Federal Government, Fashola hid behind thinly disguised legalese to oppose the domestication of the FOI bill in Lagos state. What a hypocrite. undecided

The LASG can pass that bill in a couple of days if it so desires. But it won't. And we all know why. So don't ask me to go to the courts - after all, did any court compel the FG to pass the FOI bill? undecided

The lack of transparency in the LASG's affairs is the reason why we are here engaging in endless conjecture over the cost and reasons for delay in critical projects such as this light rail project.

And ye shall seek the truth...

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:40am On Sep 30, 2019
Plaindealer;

I want you to address my questions - both the ones I asked NG Patriot and the ones I threw to you as well.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:44am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
I don't know if the projects are the same and comparable, sir. And that's why the veil must be lifted. I've got to see, touch and feel the fruit to know if I've got apples or oranges. Or both.

Is it indeed true (as some posters here have insisted) that there is a significant difference between the project cost as stated by the contractor (in its financial statements) and the contract sum stated by the client (the LASG)? Nobody has addressed this.

I'm not interested in the argument about cost or what Lagos state is spending on the project, my issue, and the only issue is the baseless and ignorant comparison that the projects are comparable when in fact they are definitely not comparable.

In fact, let me get into the cost argument for a second.

The trashy news article claimed that the projects are comparable so it is safe to assume that the cost should almost be the same, so why are the posters you referenced claiming that Lagos state paid only $182million? Is there any reason why the Lagos state paid less than half of what the spent on the same comparable project in Ethiopia?

If you are going to follow their baseless and ignorant logic that doesn't make any sense, try at least to take a look at the huge hole and absurdity in their argument and logic.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tollyboy5(m): 3:50am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

The project was ongoing when it was handed over to Ambode, but Ambode sat on his lazy arse for 4 years and abandoned and neglected that road, this is the same Ambode you are praising while blaming other people for the mess the same Ambode created.

See, this is the ignorance and cluelessness people like you display, you just jun on the internet to spew rubbish based on who you like or don't like while ignoring facts and realities.

The new governor already mandated for the road to be fixed ASAP, but the question I need to ask you Ambode lover is, why did Ambode refuse to build that road and why he favored his own pet projects in his town and bus stops over the same road you are raving about that other neglected because the last time I checked, Ambode was the governor of Lagos state for 4 years.

Btw, that road was one of the reasons why Lagosians kicked him out of office.

lagosians never kicked ambode out of office everyone knows that. ambode is loved by many lagosians including Epe. so I'm sure he would have won if he actually contested. though it's obvious that he neglected the road.

the major reasons lagosians are voicing out its because they've noticed a pattern of imposing governors and trying to blackmail them after leaving office for 1 reasons or the other. which means there are alot of fishy thing going on in Lagos state government that is been swept under the floor. and the new governor that has been impose on lagosians to vote for has start showing signs of incompetence of which we are watching.
maybe four year later somebody would tell us story of why sanwo olu will step down for another APC candidate to be imposed on us. it's becoming a pattern! I'm not happy with ambode abandoning the project but what do you have to say concerning his works at Epe? grin fashola and tinubu act as if epe never existed so I can't blame him for developing his town because who would have done that?
saying the project was moving but slow also mean stagnant to me. I can be in secondary school when a project started and now finish ND and about rounding up btech yet the project is still ongoing :-( come and see the way they are sluggishly doing things there you'll understand my grand children might still meet the project and you'll be typing with grey hairs if not AI by them on how pipe lines are hindering just ten lanes.
I'll remind you at the end of Sanwo-olu's tenure if this project became abandoned project.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:51am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

I'm not interested in the argument about cost or what Lagos state is spending on the project, my issue, and the only issue is the baseless and ignorant comparison that the projects are comparable when in fact they are definitely not comparable.

In fact, let me get into the cost argument for a second.

The trashy news article claimed that the projects are comparable so it is safe to assume that the cost should almost be the same, so why are the posters you referenced claiming that Lagos state paid only $182million? Is there any reason why the Lagos state paid less than half of what the spent on the same comparable project in Ethiopia?

If you are going to follow their baseless and ignorant logic that doesn't make any sense, try at least to take a look at the huge hole and absurdity in their argument and logic.

^^^
For argument's sake, let us even take your point as given - that the Addis project and the Lagos project are not comparable.

I and a few others want to compare the project with its peers worldwide. But as I said earlier there is a dearth of information on the project. Can you point us in the right direction to get the web resources we need? Without a court order?

4 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:52am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
undecided

Perhaps people are making 'baseless' comparisons because they don't have all the information they need to make valid comparisons? Not everyone is a mischief maker out to stir up trouble.

On the FOI matter, I say no Sir.

The FOI issue exposed the duplicity of the then Lagos governor, Fashola. After condemning (and rightly so I might add) the graft and venality of the Goodluck Jonathan led Federal Government, Fashola hid behind thinly disguised legalese to oppose the domestication of the FOI bill in Lagos state. What a hypocrite. undecided

The LASG can pass that bill in a couple of days if it so desires. But it won't. And we all know why. So don't ask me to go to the courts - after all, did any court compel the FG to pass the FOI bill? undecided

The lack of transparency in the LASG's affairs is the reason why we are here engaging in endless conjecture over the cost and reasons for delay in critical projects such as this light rail project.

And ye shall seek the truth...

Lay people making baseless comparison and a news media outlet making dumb and baseless comparison are 2 different things. News outlets practice journalism and credible news outlets do investigative journalism where they source fact from reliable sources and even take governments to court to force them to turn over documents before publishing ignorant and misleading conclusions.

Also, only ignorant people and worthless media outlets make compare without laying out the reasons why they are comparable like publishing contract documents stating required project specifications from distance to the type of gravel, the type of steel, the type of grading, number of stations, number of roads, freeways, lanes, bridges including over water bridges and so on. This is how you compare, not sourcing article and cost about a rail project in Ethiopia on the internet and start comparing with Lagos.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 3:58am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

Lay people making baseless comparison and a news media outlet making dumb and baseless comparison are 2 different things. News outlets practice journalism and credible news outlets do investigative journalism where they source fact from reliable sources and even take governments to court to force them to turn over documents before publishing ignorant and misleading conclusions.

Also, only ignorant people and worthless media outlets make compare without laying out the reasons why they are comparable like publishing contract documents stating required project specifications from distance to the type of gravel, the type of steel, the type of grading, number of stations, number of roads, freeways, lanes, bridges including over water bridges and so on. This is how you compare, not sourcing article and cost about a rail project in Ethiopia on the internet and start comparing with Lagos.

^^^
OK.

Let's leave the 'baseless comparers' to do their thing while we focus on the real issues.

I would like to access those contract documents (and related documents such as the EIA) to draw my own conclusions. And I shouldn't have to take any self respecting, transparent government to court - or jump through any kind of legal hoops to get those documents.

What say ye?

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by plaindealer: 3:58am On Sep 30, 2019
VolvoS60:

^^^
For argument's sake, let us even take your point as given - that the Addis project and the Lagos project are not comparable.

I and a few others want to compare the project with its peers worldwide. But as I said earlier there is a dearth of information on the project. Can you point us in the right direction to get the web resources we need? Without a court order?

You don't have to take my words, the projects and what's on the ground says so.

I can not provide any info about regarding financial details about the project, take the state to court, that's your only option.

Such projects are carried out in phases and I'm 100000% sure that $182 million figure is for the first phase and not for the entire project and projected estimate of $1.3 billion.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by tollyboy5(m): 4:05am On Sep 30, 2019
NGpatriot:

if I give you better knock! angry so ten lane from mile 2 to okomaiko is because there is water way? undecided abi if metro rail is taking time why destroy the common road poor masses has been managing only to say nonsense about metro rail.
the common man in that area demands for completion of the ten lane not metro rail title you give to the project.
the so much private partnership that was imparted on the eko Atlantic should be implemented on this road also but no! eko Atlantic would favor criminals and make the rich richer not concerned about how the common man lives at ojo.
at the end of Sanwo-olu four years you should point out any reasonable project completed by then. since he is already approaching half a year in office with no achievement.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by VolvoS60(m): 4:08am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

I can not provide any info about regarding financial details about the project, take the state to court, that's your only option.

Such projects are carried out in phases and I'm 100000% sure that $182 million figure is for the first phase and not for the entire project and projected estimate of $1.3 billion.

^^^
undecided

I see.

So, I have to take the LASG to court to compel it to provide financial details of a (at least in part) taxpayer funded infrastructure project? undecided What are they hiding? Is a public infrastructure project (a light rail project!) a state secret? Or a matter of national security?

And you support this?

3 Likes

Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NGpatriot: 4:17am On Sep 30, 2019
[s]
tollyboy5:

if I give you better knock! angry so ten lane from mile 2 to okomaiko is because there is water way? undecided abi if metro rail is taking time why destroy the common road poor masses has been managing only to say nonsense about metro rail. [/s]

Meaningless.

the common man in that area demands for completion of the ten lane not metro rail title you give to the project.

Ambode your incompetent and useless hero spent for years in office and didn't lift a finger to touch that road, he as busy building bus stops.

the so much private partnership that was imparted on the eko Atlantic should be implemented on this road also but no! eko Atlantic would favor

Off-topic, it's a private project

criminals and make the rich richer not concerned about how the common man lives at ojo.

Ambode your incompetent and useless hero spent for years in office and didn't lift a finger to touch that road, he as busy building bus stops.

at the end of Sanwo-olu four years you should point out any reasonable project completed by then. since he is already approaching half a year in office with no achievement.

Look this hypocrite, he's praising Ambde who sat on his fat behind for 4 years and let all the roads in Lagos rot away, but he's lamenting over Sanwo Olu and his less than 4-month-old government.

I think I'm wasting my time on this ignorant comedian.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by NGpatriot: 4:17am On Sep 30, 2019
plaindealer:

I can not provide any info regarding financial details about the project, take the state to court, that's your only option.

That's all you can do.
Re: Lagos Light Rail And The Problem Of Accountability - Businessday by Nobody: 4:55am On Sep 30, 2019
theenchanter:
u're actually right, about half of the total lenght is on swamp and aquatic bodies.

That is an outright lie. The Ethiopian light rail is the most challenging as it passes through very high peaks and mountain ranges and the very dangerous blue Nile gorge the largest and longest river gorge in Africa is along the rail track. Lagos is flat table land and the water ways is no challenge at all. If you look at what they did yo avoid the issue of sand filling the built bridges. So that doesn't explain why the contract was awarded for $1.2bn and in the contractors financial books it is valued at $182million. Please let us stop looking for an excuse to justify corruption.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Service Chiefs Decorated With Their New Ranks Today / I’m A Member Of PDP, But Decided To Take A Break, Says Wike / Abdulsalami Abubakar Visits Shehu Shagari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.