Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress (11492 Views)

How To Handle Your Girlfriend That Doesn’t Call You At All / Approaching The Beautiful Woman: How To Handle The Pressure Points / Your Partner Does Not Deserve Your TRUST And This is The Reason Why! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Adriel3: 1:24pm On Oct 02, 2019
How does your relationship normally function? Most likely, you and your partner get along and are able to thrive together. But what happens when something goes wrong, and one or both of you begin to feel stressed out?
When stress enters any relationship, it has the potential to create distance, disagreements and disconnection between you and your partner. But by supplying a steady supply of support for your partner when he or she is stressed, not only can you learn how to deal with stress in a relationship, you’ll also create a new level of intimacy that actually brings you both closer together.To help you better understand the most effective ways of helping your partner during stressful times, we break down several factors to pay attention to:

RECOGNIZING STRESS SYMPTOMS
How does your partner act when they’re stressed? Hectic schedules and everyday work-life demands make it easy to become wrapped up in our own worlds. But when we lose sight of our partner’s stress, then we are not communicating and we are not connecting. This is why it is imperative to make the extra effort to recognize when you’re dealing with a stressed partner.

Ask yourself: How does my partner show his or her stress? How do his or her sleeping habits, eating habits, mood, energy levels or disposition change?

Women in particular are more likely to report physical symptoms associated with stress than men, which means it may be more difficult to read a man dealing with high stress levels. But by staying in tune with your partner, you will find opportunities to express your support and love, helping your partner endure the demanding times while strengthening your relationship. In this way, figuring out how to deal with stress in a relationship can benefit both of you in the long run.

SHOWING COMPASSION
When your partner is undergoing stress, he or she may become aloof or agitated and may withdraw emotionally or even physically. This can leave you feeling lonely and vulnerable, like you’re alone or unappreciated in your relationship. Your instinct in this situation may be to withdraw as well, and to treat your partner the way they are treating you. This will not solve anything; you’re reacting instead of thinking, and punishing your partner instead of supporting them. This only erodes trust and pushes both of you further apart from each other, particularly if it’s a behavior you engage in frequently.

Rather than giving in to the desire to “let them see how it feels” and adding to the negative tension within the relationship, take a step back and show some compassion – not just for your partner, but for yourself. By tending to your own needs during these times, you will be stronger, more secure and better equipped to be the anchor that your partner (and your relationship) needs.

OPEN THE LINES OF COMMUNICATION
Many people have the tendency to draw inward when they are feeling anxious or upset, including when they deal with feelings of isolation caused by being with a stressed partner. They may have learned early in life that their needs won’t get met, so they eventually learn to stop asking for what they need. This is where being in an intimate relationship can be profoundly powerful for healing old wounds.”
if you see that your partner has retreated, you should make the effort to approach them and say something like, “You seem like you’re having a hard time. How can I help you right now?” This will open the lines of communication and let your partner know that they can depend on you for support.

During times of stress, our partners want to feel supported without inciting emotion from our side. This can be especially difficult if you have added to their stress. Listening without judgment or immediate reaction will require a tremendous amount of patience, kindness and compassion on your end, but will ultimately help you and your partner develop a more positive way to move forward and build a stronger, healthier relationship.

MEN AND WOMEN REACT DIFFERENTLY
Men and women react differently to stress. One of the fundamental reasons for this has to do with varying stress hormones.

When stress strikes, the body releases hormones called cortisol and epinephrine that raise blood pressure and circulate blood sugar level. Oxytocin is then released from the brain, countering the impact of cortisol and epinephrine by relaxing the emotions.

Men release less oxytocin than women when they are stressed, meaning they have a stronger reaction from both cortisol and epinephrine. A studdy suggested that this caused women to be more likely to handle stress by “tending and befriending,” that is, nurturing those around them in an effort to both protect themselves and their young. Men, however, release smaller doses of oxytocin, which make them more likely to have the “fight or flight” response when it comes to stress – either repressing their emotions and trying to escape the situation, or fighting back
That in many cases, a woman’s identity and sense of self-esteem are both closely linked to her feelings of adequacy in relationships. So she is likely to appreciate feeling wanted, receiving expressions of comfort and caring, and generally being taken care of.

Men, on the other hand, are more invested in performance and competition. So when faced with stress, your male partner may be more receptive to offers of assistance with tasks as well as expressions of appreciation and recognition.

STRESS IS PART OF LIFE
Dealing with stress is never easy, but it’s part of life. Even if your partner has consistently been the anchor in your relationship, there will eventually come a time when his or her tank is running on empty and you will be given the opportunity to provide the love and support that is needed. And while you may find it to be difficult to help your partner during times of stress, generating the mental and emotional resources to help your partner will not only create comfort and connection, but a healthy, secure base in the relationship upon which both partners can consistently count on

https://www.tonyrobbins.com/love-relationships/how-to-help-partner-in-times-of-stress/

7 Likes 7 Shares

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Jestin: 2:32pm On Oct 02, 2019
Relationships and plenty wahala.....na hook up sure pass...FTC

2 Likes

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by kazyhm(m): 2:32pm On Oct 02, 2019
J

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Madibah(m): 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nice one

1 Like

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Nobody: 2:33pm On Oct 02, 2019
Jestin:
T
What is T?
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Freemanbobble: 2:34pm On Oct 02, 2019
Okay
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by XullySwt(f): 2:36pm On Oct 02, 2019
UP Gandollar grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Imstrong2(m): 2:38pm On Oct 02, 2019
You haven't finished handling yours! handling too much stress could be the leading cause of most suicide and death
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Nobody: 2:40pm On Oct 02, 2019
Chubhie, this is an interesting article... I'm trying to relate... can you?
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by realstars: 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
I think managing your private matters with your partner in a right way, will ease the stress and good relationship
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Richmoney1(m): 2:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
Stress or no stress if you two are not meant to be , there is nothing you can do... just pray God help you find your better half/soulmate... nah dat one sure pass instead of dis long talk

4 Likes

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by princety24(m): 2:44pm On Oct 02, 2019
Very good Tips.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by xynerise: 2:50pm On Oct 02, 2019
SEX
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Josnac(m): 2:51pm On Oct 02, 2019
Completely true as I'm in one of the loops right now.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Eezohbae(f): 3:23pm On Oct 02, 2019
And many people are going through a lot of stress as it is.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by MedicH: 3:41pm On Oct 02, 2019
Wahala for we way no get partner. We go manage our brokeness tress in Valhalla with dormammu and Odin.
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by MedicH: 3:43pm On Oct 02, 2019
Nice input
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Funmmyastic: 3:44pm On Oct 02, 2019
kazyhm:
J
Jalingo.
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Bigmikedagod(m): 3:57pm On Oct 02, 2019
nice points
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Adriel3: 4:04pm On Oct 02, 2019
@Guest007's
RE: Chubhie, this is an interesting article... I'm trying to relate... can you?
Thanks for your encouragement, I saw your response , firstly how do you want to relate or communicate? I wish you all the best.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Brightgem(f): 4:16pm On Oct 02, 2019
Richmoney1:
Stress or no stress if you two are not meant to be , there is nothing you can do... just pray God help you find your better half/soulmate... nah dat one sure pass instead of dis long talk
is God like going to come down and live with your partner for you? God works with what you put forth. Just read and learn na! Ah!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by eyeon(m): 4:47pm On Oct 02, 2019
When you're with the right person, stress is %70 handled.
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by JayPeeOham: 4:50pm On Oct 02, 2019
Very enlightening! I don send am give my woman sinceeeeeeeeeeee grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by harrwix(m): 5:12pm On Oct 02, 2019
This article is so on point. But sadly most people won't be able to appreciate it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Creativebae(f): 7:54pm On Oct 02, 2019
Waoo
See my life. ..
Been having issues with my man pertaining this o, i been always thinking he is shutting me out or giving me attutudes, dunno nigga is stressed out.
Op thanks for sharing.
Lemme goan apologise
Lol
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by MedicH: 7:57pm On Oct 02, 2019
Creativebae:
Waoo
See my life. ..
Been having issues with my man pertaining this o, i been always thinking he is shutting me out or giving me attutudes, dunno nigga is stressed out.
Op thanks for sharing.
Lemme goan apologise
Lol

Hmmmmm
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Chubhie: 8:52pm On Oct 02, 2019
Guest007:
Chubhie, this is an interesting article... I'm trying to relate... can you?
It very well resonates kiss kiss kiss
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by Legendguru: 9:43pm On Oct 02, 2019
Quit
Re: How To Handle Your Partner’s Stress by ABOVEDELAW: 7:20am On Oct 03, 2019
IN OUR AFRICA, 95% OF STRESS IS CAUSED BY LACK OF MONEY, TRY AND MAKE A LOT OF MONEY AND LET ME SEE WHERE STRESS WILL ATTACH IN YOUR RELATIONSHIP.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

When A Pretty Lady Moves Into Your Neighborhood (pictures Included) / I Caught My Pastor Having Sex With A Female Corp Member / What Should I Do? My Babe Just Told Me She Is Pregnant

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.