Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,449 members, 7,816,039 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 12:24 AM

If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? - Travel (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? (31879 Views)

UK People Are Miserable, Nigerians Are 'happy' / Kenyan Says Nigerians Are Operating Like Chinese And Taking Over African Nations / Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nanatrendy(f): 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

The reason why the west determine the price of cocoa is because they have been able to build an organised commodity market.

competition in the market is healthy for the market, we should not blame the west for our problems rather blame ourselves for not understanding the fundamentals of international trade.

we africans are different in culture, tradition and language, even in face cutting, saying africans should unite is like saying rat and cat should unite for a common goal, every country is suppose to have its own common interest, interest that better the lives of their citizens

We see europeans as the same but in the european union, every country in europe fights for their interest and that is what africans suppose to do, each countries should fight for their own interest, the winner takes it all, the loser will learn to up his game next time...competition among african countries is healthy, pan africanism is dead.
so if they have built a commodity market how do we beat that system? It's simply by fighting together if we decide not not import raw beans and rather add value to it before we sell, we wouldnt be affected by the commodity market but both countries are only interested in which one of us is selling the most beans and be hailed as the highest producer of cocoa, now if only ghana decides to sell refined cocoa, they may choose to ignore ghanaians and go for ivory coast beans but if we both do it together they would have no choice than to comply. I agree that in Europe every country fights for itself but whenever the west is dealing with africa it's the same approach, give aid/ loan and attach conditions that improve their exports to africa thereby destroying local production. Panafricanism advocates that Africa should have a single approach to how we deal with the rest of the world, not necessarily different tribes or nationalities coexisting together, if all of us together are prospering in our various land why would you want to leave to a nieghbors home?. As it is, if you decide to defy the system your neighbour will agree and you will be at a loosing end. It's easy for any african leader to sell the destiny of their nation because they are not bound by anyone to do the right thing, and there's no motivation for it because others would ignore you, if all of Africa had joined hands with Gaddafi to build the central bank backed by our resources, put in measures to make africa less dependent on exports, my friend you wouldn't be facing much difficulty in your country. Everyone is struggling for their destiny but funny enough when things become difficult in your country and you start running away to nieghboring countries, your nieghbors also feel the heat so no one is really alone in this struggle.

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:26pm On Oct 05, 2019
tundeb303:

Thanks and the pleasure is mine.

Like i said the country is designed for the dumb to thrive. Look around our A list celebrities are a bunch of brain dead pips. We have President who my not if there is even anything called a solar system or a galaxy.
Our constitution is outdated.

I once cringed with shame, when someone said all the back benches and dullards back in school are the ones occupying top.positions in government and society today. And he said so feeling proud. But it was pain and shame i felt. Doubly for the fact that he was proud to say his leaders are dumb fellows.
So the contraption is for the dumb and happily so.
so how can we progress with this ideology that so many youths have this days...and I know well enough after all this there ranting on social media they will still vote in one stupid people as a leader in the next election a country fighting over 30,000 as minimum wage and later we will be chest beating we are giants of Africa in what aspect exactly are we the giants? whereas other countries have gone way beyond us even starting a business in Nigeria is war if you bring in investment plans the governor will want a cut the local government will want a cut the Omoonile will want a cut to get a license is war after you’ve succeeded in registering your business the union of the business you want to do will start fighting you omg this country is finish and we say we are smart....ordinary dubai starting business there is like salad just register and boom you are good to go even china Korea uk you can even register your business online without been present and you don’t pay any other fee except the usual $25 but here in Nigeria everyone will want a share of the capital before you can even kick start that’s why mtn and dstv will keep reaping is off because the bribe they pay is damn too much isn’t that dumbness how can business survive no loan nor incentives and when some people manage to come up with capitals they will kill it off with bills in form of taxes even ordinary keke men pay 5,500 every week in the city I came from how can they survive in long run given the fact they have families

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by harryakand: 4:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i still dont get it is the government the reason why Nigeria cant not develop?

Logic will be, if Nigerians are smart then they will have smart people in power to lead them

N.B: i dont believe that government interference is the solution to all problems
Greed comes into mind. Do we have student or mortgage loans here in Nigeria.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Omotaday(m): 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2019
rafhell:
Nigerians are smart. The dull, illiterate and incompetent people up north, with numbers on their side, made Nigeria what it is today.
shey na northerners dey use money vote Tacha or protest on the street cuz of Tacha while Sowore was being locked?

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by davillian(m): 4:30pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

So isnt it the job of smart people to create avenues for development
how many people presently Depends on the Government For anything?
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by vaxx2: 4:30pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

from what you wrote down, Nigeria is this way, is because of lack of smart leaders and also citizens

if citizens cant remove leaders that are not smart even though they are suffering, are the citizens smart?

You just need leadership to make the process but you also need the citizens to take initiatives to better their lives
Nigeria is simply the way it is because of her constitution.

Leadership is a combination of executive and legislative. leadership is staffed by citizens, but it is not the citizens. The “people” or “society” are metaphors, abstractions but not real things; the government is a real thing.

The people created the goverment, the goverment are the created. Nigeria leadership smartness assessment can be find in her constitution.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2019
SmartyPants:

You make very good points but like I said, it is about the system. It is classic game theory. A smart and unscrupulous person thrown into Nigeria's current political and government environment says to himself,

"if i don't steal someone else will."

You see what we face in Nigeria is not that we do not have foresight, it is that we do not have the natural sense of patriotism that comes when a Nation is united at its core.

The Problem is that our current social and political climate did not come to be by external forces, or by paranormal superimposition. We created it, Nigerians did. But we blame government? But government came to be due to the citenzry, we blame the system? We created the system. So it is an infintely expanding chain of blame games. It is high time Nigeria took the blame, which is, there are more stupid and blind people in Nigeria then there are smart persons. And demcoracy even makes things, worse. Wrong choices willgo on overulinng right choices. So its a game of Numbers. And the stupid wins here.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:33pm On Oct 05, 2019
justbusy:
Bro, the role of Govt as regards Nation-building, transcends mere regulation! Extreme regulation stifles economic growth, which in turn, creates a domino effect on economic development! The Govt controls the commanding heights of the economy! Note: Total capitalism exists nowhere in the world! Quote me anywhere! I wish other intellectuals would come in!
it takes smart people to make smart laws and regulations how can a sane smart leader enact 7.2% tax on citizens that doesn’t even earn a minimum wage of $100 isn’t that stupidity and dumbness why don’t you tax the rich and leave the poor since we are undeveloped why don’t you make start up businesses to be easy and encourage foreign investors... I know a friend that brought in an investment to Nigeria to start a hospital the government told him to pay hundreds of millions and he was discouraged and left...isn’t that dumbness

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by MrSly(m): 4:36pm On Oct 05, 2019
javaguru:
your not making sense. Try getting an establishment or try importing. There youll see the role govt is playing in development
Please elaborate. This you have written is foreign to me.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:37pm On Oct 05, 2019
Omotaday:
shey na northernera dey use money vote Tacha or protest on the street cuz of Tacha while Sowore was being locked?

thank you that his quote was dumbness on its own always playing ethnic card later we will say that whites are racists whereas we are even racial to our fellow compatriots....both Hausas igbos Yoruba’s the south south have there own share of dumb people

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Omotaday(m): 4:37pm On Oct 05, 2019
tiwiex:

I like the question he posed. And it's actually worth discussing.

I think he refers to Nigerians who have left the country and have excelled in various fields. Yes, Nigerians are smart. The question is which side of the country produces most of these great stories? I leave you to answer.

The answer tells you which Nigerians are in quest of progress, knowledge and development.

Unfortunately we run a system that will never be productive or competitive. I described it recently as a communist government structure allowing some level of capitalism across board. Unfortunately, government provides public goods and since they seem to be communist in their administrative composition, nothing gets done. The regions have been stifled from growing at their own pace.

I hear there are plans to integrate the Almajiri system into our educational system. What does that even mean? We operate the system like a cook trying to prepare vegetarian meal and non-vegetarian meal inside one pot. Is that even possible?

Teaser: what's the opposite of vegetarian?
You are trying to attack the north. are the north the people who voted a drug baron Buruki kasamu into the senate?

Is the north who use their money to vote and protest for Tacha on the street when Sowore was locked?

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
so how can we progress with this ideology that so many youths have this days...and I know well enough after all this there ranting on social media they will still vote in one stupid people as a leader in the next election a country fighting over 30,000 as minimum wage and later we will be chest beating we are giants of Africa in what aspect exactly are we the giants? whereas other countries have gone way beyond us even starting a business in Nigeria is war if you bring in investment plans the governor will want a cut the local government will want a cut the Omoonile will want a cut to get a license is war after you’ve succeeded in registering your business the union of the business you want to do will start fighting you omg this country is finish and we say we are smart....ordinary dubai starting business there is like salad just register and boom you are good to go even china Korea uk you can even register your business online without been present and you don’t pay any other fee except the usual $25 but here in Nigeria everyone will want a share of the capital before you can even kick start that’s why mtn and dstv will keep reaping is off because the bribe they pay is damn too much isn’t that dumbness how can business survive no loan nor incentives and when some people manage to come up with capitals they will kill it off with bills in form of taxes even ordinary keke men pay 5,500 every week in the city I came from how can they survive in long run given the fact they have families

Total reform is the way. Democracy as i said favor numbers, and there are too many people.in Nigeria that do not think straight, the intellects do not have the numbers in their favour. So before any change can take place it must begin from the end. The system of government needs to change, the constitution as well. And you know how unlikely that is.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Cousin9999: 4:41pm On Oct 05, 2019
I hope your children aren't as dumb as you, op.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by midnighter(f): 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
xerxes456:
so why did the BIAFRA fail? Was it that Nigeria has superior fighting power or there was a divide in the house due to the fact that the BIAFRANS were also trying to be smart ( stupid) with their allies... read well...

Because foreign powers colluded against it to prevent indigenes from controlling oil wealth, and to stop other countries from getting the same idea. Even the news in Britain refused to report it just like theyre refusing to report whats happening in Yemen so that they wont disturb their relationship with Saudi Arabia
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:42pm On Oct 05, 2019
Nanatrendy:
so if they have built a commodity market how do we beat that system? It's simply by fighting together if we decide not not import raw beans and rather add value to it before we sell, we wouldnt be affected by the commodity market but both countries are only interested in which one of us is selling the most beans and be hailed as the highest producer of cocoa, now if only ghana decides to sell refined cocoa, they may choose to ignore ghanaians and go for ivory coast beans but if we both do it together they would have no choice than to comply. I agree that in Europe every country fights for itself but whenever the west is dealing with africa it's the same approach, give aid/ loan and attach conditions that improve their exports to africa thereby destroying local production. Panafricanism advocates that Africa should have a single approach to how we deal with the rest of the world, not necessarily different tribes or nationalities coexisting together, if all of us together are prospering in our various land why would you want to leave to a nieghbors home?. As it is, if you decide to defy the system your neighbour will agree and you will be at a loosing end. It's easy for any african leader to sell the destiny of their nation because they are not bound by anyone to do the right thing, and there's no motivation for it because others would ignore you, if all of Africa had joined hands with Gaddafi to build the central bank backed by our resources, put in measures to make africa less dependent on exports, my friend you wouldn't be facing much difficulty in your country. Everyone is struggling for their destiny but funny enough when things become difficult in your country and you start running away to nieghboring countries, your nieghbors also feel the heat so no one is really alone in this struggle.
migration isn’t really the problem here... because migration on its own the the right of every human the problem we are talking about today is mediocrity and dumbness... the reason why this country is this way is because the smart ones are few and the dumb ones are many ....the same people that wrote our constitution are dumb and it’s auppose to have been reviewed but hey no one is talking about it because there no accountability.... if you are dealing with a smart person you will always be on your toes every min but when you are dealing with dumb people you make little or no effort to even try and set things right our leaders knows we are dumb and they are using it to advance on there own dumbness

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
it takes smart people to make smart laws and regulations how can a sane smart leader enact 7.2% tax on citizens that doesn’t even earn a minimum wage of $100 isn’t that stupidity and dumbness why don’t you tax the rich and leave the poor since we are undeveloped why don’t you make start up businesses to be easy and encourage foreign investors... I know a friend that brought in an investment to Nigeria to start a hospital the government told him to pay hundreds of millions and he was discouraged and left...isn’t that dumbness
Precisely my opinion! Is the OP still following?
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nickshrapnel: 4:46pm On Oct 05, 2019
The average Nigerian is street smart not book smart
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:47pm On Oct 05, 2019
tundeb303:

Total reform is the way. Democracy as i said favor numbers, and there are too many people.in Nigeria that do not think straight, the intellects do not have the numbers in their favour. So before any change can take place it must begin from the end. The system of government needs to change, the constitution as well. And you know how unlikely that is.
very unlikely and the circle keeps repeating and the smart ones keeps leaving while the few that remains struggles some survive but the % is few when you can’t beat them you join them...we can talk about this all day but the way I see it no solution in sight

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by midnighter(f): 4:47pm On Oct 05, 2019
King44:
it is the fault of government, if the govt is serious for a police to ask for ten naira illegally he or she would think thrice, the members of the police force know they could do anything and get away with it thus they continue

Why dont they pay those police people enough money so that they and their bosses wont make syndicates that involve harassing people for 10 naira?

Why does our police force go about looking dirty, stupid and tattered instead of looking like civilised people who uphold common law and decency?

Why would a whole policeman, a full-grown adult, be seen on national news broadcasts following one useless woman about like a goat, carrying her handbag? Is it what they trained for?

The police cant be normal when the people training and instating them use them to enact their selfish desires

The whole thing goes back to the government, to some extent
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nanatrendy(f): 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
migration isn’t really the problem here... because migration on its own the the right of every human the problem we are talking about today is mediocrity and dumbness... the reason why this country is this way is because the smart ones are few and the dumb ones are many ....the same people that wrote our constitution are dumb and it’s auppose to have been reviewed but hey no one is talking about it because there no accountability.... if you are dealing with a smart tperson you will always be on your toes every min but when you are dealing with dumb people you make little or no effort to even try and set things right our leaders knows we are dumb and they are using it to advance on there own dumbness
well I agree same thing across the continent unfortunately we are all being taken for a ride and democracy is not working for us either.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2019
justbusy:
Precisely my opinion! Is the OP still following?
i think he is the only hope we have is removing our current leaders in the next election but I doubt that will happen because the dumb ones have the numbers so the circle keeps repeating dividing the country in my opinion is not the best option as long as the dumbness remains lol
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 4:49pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
very unlikely and the circle keeps repeating and the smart ones keeps leaving while the few that remains struggles some survive but the % is few when you can’t beat them you join them...we can talk about this all day but the way I see it no solution in sight

That's it man and brother. A continous circle.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:51pm On Oct 05, 2019
Nanatrendy:
well I agree same thing arose the continent unfortunately we are all being taken for a ride and democracy is not working for us either.
our problem is not the system of government, does the system of government have anything to do with pastors reaping there members off because the same applies to our politics ....the problem is we are citizens collectively not the system of government even the total federalism wouldn’t work in this sphere because we will still elect stupid governors that will make laws that will favor him imagine having state police ?
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by showafrica(m): 4:52pm On Oct 05, 2019
drmikeadams:
grin

Religion kept us where we are now,,,we always believe "God will change our leaders"let us leave it for God"God knows the best"

God Will come and fix our portholes and fix our electricity
grin grin
Bunch of jokers we are

I tell you, just commot religion, every bad leader will be jointly assassinated.
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 4:54pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
i think he is the only hope we have is removing our current leaders in the next election but I doubt that will happen because the dumb ones have the numbers so the circle keeps repeating dividing the country in my opinion is not the best option as long as the dumbness remains lol
yes, you're right!
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 4:57pm On Oct 05, 2019
justbusy:
yes, you're right!
so you see our problems have no easy solution we need more of informal education than formal because what we have more in this country is formal education and informal entails travelling seeing different cultures learning new skills etc formal education doesn’t make one a literate and we have a lot of educate illiterates in other words dumb people we just need to get it right just once....

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by chigoizie7(m): 4:57pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i still dont get it is the government the reason why Nigeria cant not develop?

Logic will be, if Nigerians are smart then they will have smart people in power to lead them

N.B: i dont believe that government interference is the solution to all problems

If you know that politics is a game of numbers, and also Nigerian politics is all about tribalism . Then you won’t be surprised as to why buhari is the president of Nigeria, a man without secondary school certificates. Then you will understand better

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by wman(m): 4:58pm On Oct 05, 2019
Shocking how this thread has just 12,000 views.

We truly deserve what we get.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Midas01: 4:59pm On Oct 05, 2019
Wherever you are, I need to find you and give you a big hug grin
pocohantas:
What Nigerians call smartness, would most times turn out to be total disresgard for the next person, basic etiquette, moral values, laws or rules and regulations.

A Nigerian will drive one way, get to the front- return to the correct lane and feel like a sharp guy.

A Nigerian will jump the queue, luckily they get attended to by whoever after dropping N200. They come back to you that is standing on the queue like a sane human being and tell you that you are not STREET SMART. So, you fit sleep here today o...Truly you might sleep there.

Na this kind smartness we dey exhibit most times. Majority of us are guilty of one or more. Not our fault sha, it is the kind of smartness you need to survive in a third world country, where everything-including the government is working against you.

The people that are BOOK SMART (we call them efiko and even demonise them), we stereotype them as clumsy and timid- NOT STREET SMART. The ones going about their businesses jejely are not left out from the above stereotype.

That is why when we go to countries where normal humans are, we complain it is slow, boring...etc. We have to relearn to live, because we have only been existing/surviving in the jungle we hopped on the plane from.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Legendguru: 5:00pm On Oct 05, 2019
We are smart in crimes
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by vezycash(m): 5:02pm On Oct 05, 2019
femi4:
The popular saying goes "The more you look, the less you see"

How do you supervise six people working together to dupe you. Even the woman selling cement was included in their plan. There is liitle that can be achieve if the ratio of unrighteousness to righteousness is on the high side.

Bad behaviour is like a virus, it spreads easily

LMAO - true. Let's start from some where. They say, there's nothing you can do when crayfish is dried. If you try to bend it, it'll break.

In other words, the system of checks will keep the honest ones honest. This is in sharp contrast to what we have now - a system that turns even pastors to robbers. Besides, the scenario you painted is in complete.

Is that cement woman the only one in the place? If there are others and you didn't at least try to get a quote, then you deserve to be scammed. When I was in Ghana I made it a point to leave my so called CUSTOMER stores once in a while. I'd visit new shops to compare prices - and I'd leave the existing person whenever I find a better price.

There's even one guy who I regularly buy from at computer village. He claims he can't cheat me because he's a Christian and is a Chosen member. So the last thing I bought from him was a Samsung Level U ear piece which he sold to me for 6k. Immediately I got home, I went on Jiji to check prices and found I could have gotten it for 4k. The 6k was the price of Level U Pro.

Remember, I said that was the last thing I bought from him. I buy from someone else now. You sound like a righteous guy - in my experience, people who say, "Trust me. I can't cheat you," are well practiced scammers.

We need a good system - not a good person. If you don't agree with this basic premise - good luck. Millions of Nigerians agree with you and are getting fleeced by pastors, imams, priests and politicians.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by b03liberty(m): 5:05pm On Oct 05, 2019
BlackBaron:
They're more 'mouth' than talk. Actually less than a 3rd are really 'intelligent'.

Post an article about BBN and a topic on critical governance and watch which gets more discourse on Nairaland. Or watch how a 2.5% VAT increase to 7.5% (one of the lowest on the planet) evokes many pages of argument.
I mostly blame under investment in education.
This thread has negate the notion

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (17) (Reply)

Open And Dirty Drainage System In Lagos (Photos) / What Nationality Is Given To A Baby Born On A Plane? / Man's SUV Bashed By A Truck At Emohua, Rivers, Comes Out Unhurt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.