Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? (31916 Views)

UK People Are Miserable, Nigerians Are 'happy' / Kenyan Says Nigerians Are Operating Like Chinese And Taking Over African Nations / Nigerians Are Walking Into Canada From U.S. Seeking Asylum - Washington Post. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by FarahAideed: 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2019
vezycash:

Citation please. Where you conjur this IQ figure from?

https://www.nairaland.com/4345127/check-nigerias-ranking-worlds-iq

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 1:19pm On Oct 05, 2019
Yawns! All these goddamn arguments doesn't and will never change a thing! angry

5 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Gerrard59(m): 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2019
tiwiex:

I like the question he posed. And it's actually worth discussing.

I think he refers to Nigerians who have left the country and have excelled in various fields. Yes, Nigerians are smart. The question is which side of the country produces most of these great stories? I leave you to answer.

The answer tells you which Nigerians are in quest of progress, knowledge and development.

Unfortunately we run a system that will never be productive or competitive. I described it recently as a communist government structure allowing some level of capitalism across board. Unfortunately, government provides public goods and since they seem to be communist in their administrative composition, nothing gets done. The regions have been stifled from growing at their own pace.

I hear there are plans to integrate the Almajiri system into our educational system. What does that even mean? We operate the system like a cook trying to prepare vegetarian meal and non-vegetarian meal inside one pot. Is that even possible?

Teaser: what's the opposite of vegetarian?

Unfortunately, Nigeria will not divide to test your experiment (I've thought about same).

However, if we're correct, then why are the regions where these "intelligent people" come from so desolate and undeveloped (using UN's standards)?

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Angelfrost(m): 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
oga smartness plays a huge role in development tell me one developed country that has mediocre citizens? The political leaders are the product of the society a fool cannot lead smart people but but a fool can lead a fool and a smart person can lead a fool and the later is what is happening in Nigeria

I like how you simplified it... Nice theory!!! I wish it were that cut and dry, but we know it's not.

Nigeria's issue is foundational... There is a system in place that is skewed to favor only a certain political class... Only a coup or nationwide revolution can change that... Most of the countries you extol, went through such radical changes.

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 1:20pm On Oct 05, 2019
SmartyPants:

Please go straight to your point. What is smartness according to you, and how do Nigerian leaders not have it?

high capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings,and how would leaders have this and still misbehave? An average smart leader puts his subjects or citizens first ie the Emirates of Dubai leader and other leaders of western countries.... Nigerian leaders are too dumb for my liking far from smartness

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by JohnWickLIVES(m): 1:21pm On Oct 05, 2019
Blackvic1:
if Nigerians are truly smart this country would have been better than this,don’t confuse criminal mindset with smartness , the fact that many people on this thread doesn’t even understand the meaning of smartness says it all...an average Nigerian 90% is criminally minded not smartness

Well let me educate you a bit.

Smartness is the ability to use the knowledge you have to get what you want. It's more short term than anything.

Wisdom is using your knowledge including past choices to make the best decision route for you. It's more long term.

Intelligence is more of your ability to process and apply information in any context. It's a constant. It's more like your brain's processing power. You can overclock that power with smartness, wisdom, brilliance and wittiness but it still has a specific amount of physical cores and base clock speed.
Think of smartness as turbo mode.

So the idea that we replace smartness with intelligence is a commonality with all humans.

Intelligence is your ability to learn. It's a constant that can be measured based on context.

Smartness is the ability to use your intelligence to make quick witty decisions. It's not a constant as you can train this ability just the way you can train your muscle memory.

Thing is you can be averagely intelligent and be incredibly smart, just as you can be outstandingly intelligent and be averagely smart.

If you're still confused about the usage of these words, then I'm sorry.

5 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by islandmoon: 1:21pm On Oct 05, 2019
in Nigeria everything is fake, look at the case of Maina and Badu that was arrest in UK yesterday and deported back to Nigeria, the man was moving cash to UK for someone in government. http://pointblanknews.com/pbn/exclusive/buharis-man-friday-nasir-danu-arrested-deported-from-uk-for-laundering-200k-fake-malta-passport/
and the man has not been arrested because he's their ally , a cabal member, now tell me how government is not responsible?

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Asquare84(m): 1:21pm On Oct 05, 2019
KIDfurniture:
Corruption , greed , wickedness and selfish interest will keep this country stagnant . How can one person steal 60 billion naira?

You should also take into consideration the civil servant that will not do his normal job unless you give him bribe or the small scale businessman that will sell adulterated product in order to make more profit

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by icedbreez(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

china has never been a wasteland, historically they have been an industrial nation, small japan didnt defeat all of china but a few weak places

Maa zedond did not make china what is it today, what he did was to unify china and create a communist state, during his rule, china was a poor country.

the opening of china made china rich.

there is a reason hongkong an island is more developed that china and that is because of less government interference in trade and the rule of law, also protection of private property aka property rights

Yeah it the function of govt to provide electricity, school and health apart from that nothing more.

Constant electricity. Schools, Good roads and adequate healthcare as you mentioned are enablers, catalysts for development... Still comes back to the Govt, actually development starts with the Govt and ends with the private sector.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by ednut1(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2019
Gerrard59:
Ednut1 don go find person trouble. grin But the yabbings weren't necessary sha.

Regarding your postulation that the current state of Nigeria benefits the west, I don't believe that's true because they will benefit more if Nigeria is prosperous (distance is shorter than the Asians, the west current beneficiaries). Just like Japan benefits from China's prosperity.
oga go sleep abeg. The west will be happy if we had functional refineries , light or a chocolate industry U think say shell fit do wetin dem do in ogoni in saudi What are you sayin na

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by tosyne2much(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2019
evilive:
People with selfish smartness outnumber the selfless types.

Nothing like 'WE'. People only use WE when it comes to defending religion, culture, tribes.... ; it's just a defensive machanism, that cord of oneness is missing.

Not only that, we use the internet to spread tribalism, blackmail, nepotism, hatred, selfishness, ethnic and religion differences

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by icedbreez(m): 1:22pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

china has never been a wasteland, historically they have been an industrial nation, small japan didnt defeat all of china but a few weak places

Maa zedond did not make china what is it today, what he did was to unify china and create a communist state, during his rule, china was a poor country.

the opening of china made china rich.

there is a reason hongkong an island is more developed that china and that is because of less government interference in trade and the rule of law, also protection of private property aka property rights

Yeah it the function of govt to provide electricity, school and health apart from that nothing more.

Constant electricity. Schools, Good roads and adequate healthcare as you mentioned are enablers, catalysts for development... Still comes back to the Govt, actually development starts with the Govt but ends with the private sector.

3 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 1:23pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
see dubai. Are the inhabitants there smart No. They are lazy and rely on expatriates and Indian labour . But with sheik mansours vision. See where them dey

I still vividly remember sometimes in the early 90's, Nigerian leaders where busy shouting vision 2020 as the year when Nigeria will be fully transformed into paradise and more developed than the elite countries of the world.

They thought 2020 will never come so they used it as a deceitful mantra to buy time while milking Nigeria and Nigerians dry, low and behold 2020 is just 3 months away and Nigeria is now worse than the state of nature cry cry cry

Being extremely foolish is the definition of smartness in Nigeria.

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Reference(m): 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2019
BlackBaron:
They're more 'mouth' than talk. Actually less than a 3rd are really 'intelligent'.

Post an article about BBN and a topic on critical governance and watch which gets more discourse on Nairaland. Or watch how a 2.5% VAT increase to 7.5% (one of the lowest on the planet) evokes many pages of argument.
I mostly blame under investment in education.

The argument I and many have against more taxation is the purpose not the amount. Without accountability taxation is futile. We should make a point for reform before accepting it.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i still dont get it is the government the reason why Nigeria cant not develop?

Logic will be, if Nigerians are smart then they will have smart people in power to lead them

N.B: i dont believe that government interference is the solution to all problems
Check out all the developed countries, and tell me the one which Govt did not play a pivotal role in its developmental process!

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by frank202012: 1:24pm On Oct 05, 2019
ednut1:
the world as you have it today is a western concept. Africa was never meant to be developed . Imagine i need a loan to do poulty gtb would give me at 22%. But in the uk i can get it at 3%. Will ship it to nigeria through cotonou and its still cheaper than the nigerian ones. Corn cannot grow in a desert except there is irrigation in the desert. Government is the irrigation
u re well experienced, not quoting out of context,we have experiment on that before the cost of producing soap in Nigeria is more costly than imported soaps from China simply because of lack of power supply....

the problem with NIG is that the people with government powers has no ideas,while the ones with ideas has no power.....

the masses re also attracted to dunces nd nonentities when given the chance to vote between the ones with idea nd the other with completely no idea....Plu lumumba

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by DeeMain(m): 1:25pm On Oct 05, 2019
We use our intelligence to blame, trade insults, pass the buck and to find illegal shortcuts instead of to think or create solutions.

The US was built by individuals not the government. They, after their civil war, were worse than the present day Nigeria. They started taking responsibility and thinking. That's what lifted them from the shithole.

Nigerians + Africans don't want to think or take responsibility.

Forget the damn government.

Start thinking and taking responsibility and creating solutions in your little corners.

The day we wake up will be our morning.

Wake up sleeping giants.

Wake up.

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by beautyhound(m): 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:
Nigerians always say they are one of the smartest people in the world, they boast and beat their chest that they are so intelligent and smart and nobody can beat a Nigerian, but then again with all these bragging, Nigeria is not developed and cant boast of a middle class

My question to you Nigerian Folks, if Nigerians are one of the smartest in the world, why isnt Nigeria developed? pls do not mention bad government, i am tired of hearing that.

BRAIN DRAIN... If u know and understand the concept den you. Government and d people are just ...

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by wristbangle: 1:26pm On Oct 05, 2019
pocohantas:
What Nigerians call smartness, would most times turn out to be total disresgard for the next person, basic etiquette, moral values, laws or rules and regulations.

A Nigerian will drive one way, get to the front- return to the correct lane and feel like a sharp guy.

A Nigerian will jump the queue, luckily they get attended to by whoever after dropping N200. They come back to you that is standing on the queue like a sane human being and tell you that you are not STREET SMART. So, you fit sleep here today o...Truly you might sleep there.

Na this kind smartness we dey exhibit most times. Majority of us are guilty of one or more. Not our fault sha, it is the kind of smartness you need to survive in a third world country, where everything-including the government is working against you.

The people that are BOOK SMART (we call them efiko and even demonise them), we stereotype them as clumsy and timid- NOT STREET SMART. The ones going about their businesses jejely are not left out from the above stereotype.

That is why when we go to countries where normal humans are, we complain it is slow, boring...etc. We have to relearn to live, because we have only been existing/surviving in the jungle we hopped on the plane from.

Never knew you got this auora of intelligence. Just that atimes you put emotions and rub off negative feminism in your comment which kills the spirit to curiously knowing you.

Great comment madam and best from you this year. Agree with you 100%.

Seriously what we consider smartness is not at global level. We are intelligent, no doubt but we apply it wrongly and it's a pity we use it to destroy ourselves.

For instance, Nigerians got great start up minds breaking barrier and creating top notch products versatile in and outside the country. Critically looking deep at their operation, you would realise at a point they become greedy which makes them deviates to a substandard level. Nigerians are myopic to understand users outside the country are willing to use our products/services but will be disappointed the value of their money isn't reciprocated.

5 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Westbestside: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:
Nigerians always say they are one of the smartest people in the world, they boast and beat their chest that they are so intelligent and smart and nobody can beat a Nigerian, but then again with all these bragging, Nigeria is not developed and cant boast of a middle class

My question to you Nigerian Folks, if Nigerians are one of the smartest in the world, why isnt Nigeria developed? pls do not mention bad government, i am tired of hearing that.
E weak me o

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by karpentar: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
Because the real smart ones live abroad such as this Nigerian making Nigeria proud. Please support her with your votes. Follow link

https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2019/10/nigerian-lady-mesoma-needs-your-votes-to-win-a-cultural-arts-competition-in-north-america.html

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by islandmoon: 1:27pm On Oct 05, 2019
is sowore now smart? but see what tribalism is doing to us? no respect for rule of law, making Nigeria a lawless nation and we all know a law less nation can never develop for sure

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Owodiran1(m): 1:29pm On Oct 05, 2019
Yes we are the smartest but blinded by greed, jealousy, cheating amd mundane things
Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by vezycash(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2019
femi4:
Smartness doesn't buid a nation but righteousness.

Do the right thing and you ll attract smart people

You're right about righteousness but righteousness is too abstract a quality to be of any use. To build a 10 story building, you need land and a strong foundation. To get goods from farm to the market, you need good roads. To conduct ecommerce, you need strong internet, stable electricity, safe payment systems and finally, a reliable courier for physical goods.

All these enablers are called infrastructure. Building of infrastructure is the work of the government - are ours doing it? The US is world's biggest economy because it not only runs a decentralized government, and economy, it has allowed private individuals to build infrastructure like roads, train tracks, generate electricity for over 150 years.

In Nigeria, the government will not only refuse to build these necessities but block individuals from doing so. The result is what we have right now.

Do you know the world's 5th largest economy? It's California.

Morale: Central government isn't effective. There's just too much work for even honest geniuses to handle. Take Lagos for example: before, local government built roads. Now? The state handles it. Consequently, trunk c roads have languished for years.

We aren't running a federal government. What we have is eerily similar to the communist system of government. Those guys were smart and yet, they failed woefully. What do you think will keep happening to us?

4 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Nurallionaire(m): 1:31pm On Oct 05, 2019
It's because almost all of us are so wise that is why we are not developing.

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by nduchucks: 1:32pm On Oct 05, 2019
The OP has not heard of lazy yoots, ko?

They are never responsible for the ills of the society and they believe that government is responsible for everything. They ignore the fact that they are the ones who put the government in place, hence share in any failure of the same government

They shouted Change, change, changi, voted Baba in, but they themselves refused to change and continue to wait for handouts.

Sowore was locked up and these same yoots did not fill the streets in protest.

I'm afraid that we need to start from scratch. Current generation of Nigerians have been psychologically damaged beyond repair, sorry to say.

No light, no light, but the same folks complaining will steal copper from distribution lines that are supposed to transmit electricity to their homes.

Una don tire me.

7 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Magnoliaa(f): 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2019
ExcelDeBaron:

You are too intelligent. I would have loved to elaborate on this but Nigerians are "too smart" to understand.

Please, do.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Blackvic1: 1:34pm On Oct 05, 2019
JohnWickLIVES:

Well let me educate you a bit.

Smartness is the ability to use the knowledge you have to get what you want. It's more short term than anything.

Wisdom is using your knowledge including past choices to make the best decision route for you. It's more long term.

Intelligence is more of your ability to process and apply information in any context. It's a constant. It's more like your brain's processing power. You can overclock that power with smartness, wisdom, brilliance and wittiness but it still has a specific amount of physical cores and base clock speed.
Think of smartness as turbo mode.

So the idea that we replace smartness with intelligence is a commonality with all humans.

Intelligence is your ability to learn. It's a constant that can be measured based on context.

Smartness is the ability to use your intelligence to make quick witty decisions. It's not a constant as you can train this ability just the way you can train your muscle memory.

Thing is you can be averagely intelligent and be incredibly smart, just as you can be outstandingly intelligent and be averagely smart.

If you're still confused about the usage of these words, then I'm sorry.
there is absolutely nothing to be confused about.. intelligence is acquiring knowledge while smartness is the ability to apply those knowledge you acquired in a given situation so if truly our leaders are smart why are we in this situation that we are in this country? First they are dumb secondly they are still yet to come to terms they are dumb...a typical example is the king of Dubai emirate he is smart he saw that oil is fading away and they are fast loosing there reserves he applied a practical knowledge that he acquired by industrializing dubai and turning it to a tourist attraction,removing tax making it an easy spot for start up businesses that a practical exam of smartness I can go on and on same with Chinese President Xi

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by vezycash(m): 1:37pm On Oct 05, 2019

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by King44(m): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2019
rinzaugustine:
Exactly.Government role should only be administrative and regulatory and aimed at creating enabling environment for businesses to thrive.Provide security and pay workers salaries.Thats all
are all these things you mentioned put in place ask ur self

1 Like

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by Asquare84(m): 1:39pm On Oct 05, 2019
Gazzy88:
Nigerians are smart in the followings:

BBNaija
Entertainment generally
Endless praying without proper planning
Looting & corruption
Nepotism
Tribalism
Drugs peddling
Poor maintenance culture
Excessive pleasure
Laziness towards innovation
Selfishness
Show-off
Taste for foreign products

You have nailed it all

2 Likes

Re: If Nigerians Are So Smart, Why Isnt Nigeria Developed? by sowilli: 1:40pm On Oct 05, 2019
thebosstrevor:

i still dont get it is the government the reason why Nigeria cant not develop?

Logic will be, if Nigerians are smart then they will have smart people in power to lead them

N.B: i dont believe that government interference is the solution to all problems
Most smart people don’t crave for power. Smart guys are better in service. Being smart isn’t a core requirement for leadership. Leadership is about people, process and product. It’s more of management than developing record breaking solutions. So a leader who has got poor managerial skills can not manage a group of smart people effectively. This is the problem with Nigeria and by extension Africa. It’s a leadership problem which many called government.

8 Likes 3 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

Application For Canadian Permanent Residency From Nigeria Explained. / The Best Honeymoon Destinations In Nigeria. Current Review. Lets Discuss / List Of Islands In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.