Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,834 members, 7,810,208 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:57 PM

The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times - Politics (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times (14933 Views)

Open Letter To Peter Obi As Published By Vanguard / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / Trump Finally Adds Nigeria To His Restricted Travel list - NY Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 11:59pm On Oct 06, 2019
pazienza:

Paul Abner book is well referenced. If you are looking for raw figures, they go and do so. I will not spoon feed you.

Last time I heard, IMO state have more professors than all Yoruba states individually.
Don't know about University rankings, UNN was bombed to ruins and we had to restart with no special funds for rebuilding.
I also know that Ndiigbo are found in all Universities in Nigeria in West and North.
So rather than look at quality of Universities, I would look at quality of Igbo students spread across all Universities in Nigeria, since we can't influence Nigerian universities funding system.

Going By JAMB recent stats, students of Igbo origins lead in Law and Medicine admissions Al over Nigeria.

But of course, WAEC offer more concrete Data, which is why I refered to it in my example.

Then all the lecturers must be inferior cause western Nigeria university both private and public lead in ng infact the best university in ng is founded by a Yoruba man

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 12:00am On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

So if Yoruba engineers didn't build it.
What's the point bragging about it?

You decided to spend your hard earned money to build an unnecessary white elephant project for ego massage of claiming to have the tallest building in West Africa, even when you had no constant electricity to power it's lift. While Eastern region invested our money on solving practical essential needs like improving electricity generation and supply for industrial and home use.

Why then are you lots going on and on about building cocoa house. It never made sense to me. Which was why I assumed you were claiming to have built it using local Yoruba engineers.

For you to even think Africa is developed enough to build a SkyScraper independently in 1965 speaks a lot about your intelligence. The Cocoa House was constructed by Cappa and D'Alberto company. The construction company have to their credit, buidings like Mobil house, Victoria Island; Diamond Bank, lekki, Lagos; Bella's Place, Victoria Island.

Cocoa House, the 26-storey Cocoa House, Ibadan, is the property of Odu'a Investment Company Limited, Ibadan formerly known as "Ile Awon Agbe"-translates as the "House of Farmers" was commissioned for use in August 1965.

Awolowo proposed free education in 1952 and Launched in 1955
Western Nigerian Government Broadcasting Corporation (WNTV), the First TV was built in 1959
Liberty Stadium opened in 1960
Cocoa House was completed in 1965

What does this tells you about the economy and advancement of the Western region? Do you think having a standard TV, Stadium, Cocoa (Farmer's house) have no effect on the Western region growth?

Don't you know the Western region as at then was rich and they made sure they are thinking towards the future, if not because of the free education implemented by Awo, do you think the academic headquarters of this country will be in the west? Do you know the number of private universities in the west alone as at present and the fact that covenant university was among the top 5 universities in Nigeria and the best in research presently.

I just gave an example of the benefit of dreaming big.

8 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 12:03am On Oct 07, 2019
LegendHero:

For you to even think Africa is developed enough to build a SkyScraper independently in 1965 speaks a lot about your intelligence. The Cocoa House was constructed by Cappa and D'Alberto company. The construction company have to their credit, buidings like Mobil house, Victoria Island; Diamond Bank, lekki, Lagos; Bella's Place, Victoria Island.

Cocoa House, the 26-storey Cocoa House, Ibadan, is the property of Odu'a Investment Company Limited, Ibadan formerly known as "Ile Awon Agbe"-translates as the "House of Farmers" was commissioned for use in August 1965.

Western Nigerian Government Broadcasting Corporation (WNTV), the First TV was built in 1959

What does this tells you about the economy and advancement of the Western region? Do you think having a standard TV, Stadium, Cocoa (Farmer's house) have no effect on the Western region growth?

Wntv is now nta

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by pazienza(m): 12:05am On Oct 07, 2019
LegendHero:

What's the point of a skyscraper in a region with not enough electricity to power it's 24-4-7?

What's the point of a TV station where most homes lack electricity, let alone having access to TV?

That's misuse of public funds. Same bane of current Nigeria political office holders. Majoring in minor and minoring in Major just to score cheap ego points . Too bad we lost our brilliant Eastern region, and are today saddled with same wasteful thoughtless leaders as the rest of the country.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Osaze007: 12:06am On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

What's the point of a skyscraper in a region with not enough electricity to power it's 24-4-7?

What's the point of a TV station where most homes lack electricity, let alone having access to TV?

That's misuse of public funds. Same bane of current Nigeria political office holders. Majoring in minor and minoring in Major just to score cheap ego points . Too bad we lost our brilliant Eastern region, and are today saddled with same wasteful thoughtless leaders as the rest of the country.

Goal post shifting
If you can’t beat them
Minimize their achievements haq haq

6 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 12:10am On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

Nawa o. You are even angry that the Yoruba founding fathers dare to aspire high. Do you know that TV station is what was taken over by the FG that is now called NTA?

Do you know that Stadium built by Awolowo is now taken over by the FG and it has hosted international games for Nigeria?

Do you know that Skyscraper still stand tall in Ibadan raking in millions in revenue for the Odua Group.

You are here trying to condemn people for aiming high and creating investment when your region cannot even boast of a single edifice at that period.

Is this what envy can do to a man?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 5:15am On Oct 07, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Your parents are the slow one. That your IQ is in the single digits was never in contention. Going by your pseudologic, Yoruba hasn't ruled too since OBJ's rule was compensation for Abiola's death. You think everyone is foolish like Osus abi.
Slowpoke that should have been lost as a blighted ovum !!!!
grin abusing parents is a trademark of your people so i will let that slide because even Abiola disrespected Awo and a curse was placed on him. Since it's very easy to insult ones parents,I believe it was done to your father and grandfather. I won't be surprised if you kids would say "daddy you have a low I.Q". Please don't be angry because it's a generational curse. Your grandchildren would equally curse your kids too and if you are lucky enough,you would receive the curse and insult. Don't worry that is the tradition in your house hold. Even ogun won't save u .

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by gwafaeziokwu: 7:11am On Oct 07, 2019
OK oga legendhero. Let me gift you these points.

Azikiwe would have allowed the seccession clause, Aguiyi Ironsi set the tone for abolition of regionalism with his unification decree.

Now answer the following questions

1. Was Awolowo remotely aware of the discussions at Aburi. Did the Aburi accord in anyway tried to amend the undesirable unification decree? Did the Aburi accord in any way meet the heart desires of the average Yoruba man whose interests he sought to protect. If yes did he use it to negotiate with General Gowon.

2. Awolowo according to you was a strong advocate and believer of regionalism. Days before the Biafran declaration Gowon divided Nigeria into 12 states. Western region was divided into 3, Lagos, Western state and Kwara. Was Awolowo comfortable with that move? If not what was his response.

3. Also according to you Awolowo was aversed to a northern coalition. He preferred southerners but Zik would not allow it come to fruition. Fast forward to 1967 eve of the civil war the east had made it clear that the romance with the north was over. That they want to chart their own cause. The north was vulnerable, there was fire in the mountain and the seat of government in Lagos was in disarray. A golden opportunity was presented to Awolowo to take his people out without firing a single shot. With the east and west pulling out the north would have negotiated and ultimately agree on the Aburi agreement. Why did Awolowo fail to grab this opportunity?

4. Presented with, a secession he has mouthed before hand, a regionalism he has professed religiously why did Awolowo embrace state creation and ultimately helped Gowon to finally bury regionalism.

5. Some school of thought believed he was a coward who couldn't put his money where his mouth is. I want to hear you own perspective.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by gwafaeziokwu: 7:37am On Oct 07, 2019
plaindealer:
[s][/s]

This is why I don't go back and forth with Igbos and illiterates with zero sense of history, nit even their own history.

Please, kindly go away.

He struck a painful chord abi? You guys can't afford self governance even If your life depended on it. Your unity is a mirage. In fact your rallying point is your hatred for the Igbos as a common enemy. Like he rightly pointed out, before the arrival of the brits ,you guys were on the verge of wiping each other to extinction. Colonialist saved the Yoruba race.

Once they were gone after 1960,time for self governance came and the old demon resurfaced again. Akintola and Awolowo could not unite to achieve a common goal. It paved way for the Fulanis through Ahmadu Bello to back and install Akintola as the premier. Was that not the beginning of operation wetie wetie. The west was like an asylum where mad people reign supreme.

The Awolowo boys controlling the Lagos Ibadan news outlet started raising the temperature of the polity with accusations of corruption against the government of Ahmadu Bello, Zik, and to a large extent Akintola. Western Nigerian students embarrassed Ahmadu Bello during his visit to the UK.

Then the young nationalists in the army decided to phase out the old guards and their 'corruption infested' government. When the news of the coup broke out there were wild jubilation in the south West media because they got their heart desires in one fell swoop. Then like joke like play the Igbo coup narrative started creeping into the same western media. It fed the already Igbophobia prevalent in the entire nation. The rest is history.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by johntolu: 7:45am On Oct 07, 2019

1. Azikiwe was stupid for not allowing seccession clause, Aguiyi Ironsi set the tone for abolition of regionalism with his unification decree.

1. Was Awolowo remotely aware of the discussions at Aburi. Did the Aburi accord in anyway tried to amend the undesirable unification decree? Did the Aburi accord in any way meet the heart desires of the average Yoruba man whose interests he sought to protect. If yes did he use it to negotiate with General Gowon.

2. Awolowo according to you was a strong advocate and believer of regionalism. Days before the Biafran declaration Gowon divided Nigeria into 12 states. Western region was divided into 3, Lagos, Western state and Kwara. Was Awolowo comfortable with that move? If not what was his response.

3. Also according to you Awolowo was aversed to a northern coalition. He preferred southerners but Zik would not allow it come to fruition. Fast forward to 1967 eve of the civil war the east had made it clear that the romance with the north was over. That they want to chart their own cause. The north was vulnerable, there was fire in the mountain and the seat of government in Lagos was in disarray. A golden opportunity was presented to Awolowo to take his people out without firing a single shot. With the east and west pulling out the north would have negotiated and ultimately agree on the Aburi agreement. Why did Awolowo fail to grab this opportunity?

4. Presented with, a secession he has mouthed before hand, a regionalism he has professed religiously why did Awolowo embrace state creation and ultimately helped Gowon to finally bury regionalism.

5. Some school of thought believed he was a coward who couldn't put his money where his mouth is. I want to hear you own perspective.

I am aware your question is directed at LegendHero but I think it is preposterous on the part of the Igbo Nation, to label Chief Awolowo a 'coward' for refusing to give support, to the Igbo Nation, before and during the civil war, and seeing both Ojukwu and Kanu, who ran away, during the 'heat of war' as war heroes.

Chief Awolowo was imprisoned by the Igbo/Hausa-Fulani government for 4 years and no effort was made by the Igbo politicians in the Balewa/Azikiwe's government for him to be given a state pardon. In the same vein, the Igbo Nation also did not deem it appropriate to grant him a state pardon during the Igbo military government of Ironsi. A Northern military government gave him pardon immediately after assuming power and you expected Chief Awolowo to start championing the cause of Igbo interests.
I am sure neither Azikiwe, Ojukwu or yourself will do such to protect the interests of a Nation that did not have any Love or affection for you or your people.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by EeyanMayweather(m): 8:02am On Oct 07, 2019
meccuno:
grin abusing parents is a trademark of your people so i will let that slide because even Abiola disrespected Awo and a curse was placed on him. Since it's very easy to insult ones parents,I believe it was done to your father and grandfather. I won't be surprised if you kids would say "daddy you have a low I.Q". Please don't be angry because it's a generational curse. Your grandchildren would equally curse your kids too and if you are lucky enough,you would receive the curse and insult. Don't worry that is the tradition in your house hold. Even ogun won't save u .
Hahahahahahahaha..I don box the lunatic into a corner. See the incoherent and autistic rant sef.
Next time bring your senses when you want to talk politics omo irankiran

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 10:07am On Oct 07, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Hahahahahahahaha..I don box the lunatic into a corner. See the incoherent and autistic rant sef.
Next time bring your senses when you want to talk politics omo irankiran
you boxed your father to the corner. Not me. I am not your fathers mate.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by EeyanMayweather(m): 10:38am On Oct 07, 2019
meccuno:
you boxed your father to the corner. Not me. I am not your fathers mate.
Of course you are not his mate. You are not even any human's mate for that matter . You are a lowly scum of earth who isn't different from a Neanderthal

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 10:39am On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

The usual beer parlour gist with no statistical back up.

If not for WAEC and JAMB stats, you will still be propagating your beer parlor lies of being the leaders in education in Nigeria, using your Lagos-Ibadan media propaganda machine. Grow up dear. That era of your media monopoly and spread of lies to beef up your poor ego is gone.

lol
Are you talking about the fake WAEC results that were debunked?
Yorubas still remain the most educated.
Do you even remember that Western. Region lent money to you 2 times during regional system of government ?

6 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 10:47am On Oct 07, 2019
EeyanMayweather:

Of course you are not his mate. You are not even any human's mate for that matter . You are a lowly scum of earth who isn't different from a Neanderthal
grin ode
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 11:06am On Oct 07, 2019
Osaze007:

If we are usi >:ng hospital beds and car regristration to measure wealth India is the richest country in the world
Bet a lot of them were falling sick. grin

If yout check his assertions properly you will discover a lot of lies.SE was even below the North then talkless of the most developed Western region that lent Nigeria money twice.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 11:38am On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

The way Yorubas talk about building the house, I got the impression they are implying Yoruba Engineers built it.

Somebody was talking about a very,very low I Q...

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 12:03pm On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

grin
You sound as if you want to cry.
Was the Se eating the electricity because the SW was richer,more developed and had more infrastructures.

The most funny is TVs were operating in the homes of the Swesteners including some Ibos who escaped to the richer SW.

I have never read anywhere that there was no electricity in the SW to run the TVs.

I bet you had more electricity because your leaders thought they might as well give you something. to watch when they did not have the money and clout to meet up with the Yoruba.They eventually gave you enough electricity to watch.....wait for it......BULBS. grin

7 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 12:07pm On Oct 07, 2019
[s]
LegendHero:
I stumbled upon the archive of the New York Times in October 18th 1959 on the eve of the election battle preceding the independence. The article clearly shows the genesis of the problem of Nigeria and how the Igbos and North both ganged up against the Yorubas because of their hatred for the success of the Western region.

Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down.

Below are the quotes from the Times newspaper:

The conservative North, 75 percent Muslim and containing about half of Nigeria's population, is governed by the Northern people's congress. The premier is Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, who carries the title of Saraduana of Sokoto.

In the East, where the intelligent, energetic Ibo tribes predominates the controlling party is the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons, headed by one of the most dazzling of Nigerian politicians, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, premier of the Eastern region, who is known throughout the country as Zik.

In the somewhat more developed west, which is Yoruba Country, the government is run quite well, it is said by Chief Awolowo, an able politician, and his Action group. The West points with pride to its universal free primary education, free medical treatment for children up to 18years of age, agricultural planning and other social programs of which no other Nigerian region can boast of.

On the Hatred of the Yorubas by Azikwe and Balewa:
The Federal government whose prime minister is Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, a muslim notable from the north, is managed by a coalition of the Northern people congress and National council of the Nigeria and the Cameroonians, two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo).

Anytime the Igbos accuse Yorubas of being betrayals, you should direct them to this factual statement of their eternal betrayal of the Yorubas by being slaves to the North and being a coward to conspire with the north to hate Awolowo who would have made this Nigeria a great country.

Please Nairalanders, read the rest of the details in the affix pages below.
CC: MetaPhysical Osaze007 Afamed Iblad0994 Asnafsaeed immortalityk Anambralstson buhariguy Johnnyessence Omenka SLAP44 lazz

Modified: some people are asking me for the source of the news. You need to subscribe to the New York Times website to be able to view the archives, even if you click on the link you won’t be able to view until after you subscribe.

https://www.nytimes.com/1959/10/18/archives/election-battle-warms-in-nigeria-three-parties-seek-control-of.html?searchResultPosition=2
[/s]

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by plaindealer: 12:24pm On Oct 07, 2019
[s]
gwafaeziokwu:

He struck a painful chord abi? You guys can't afford self governance even If your life depended on it. Your unity is a mirage. In fact your rallying point is your hatred for the Igbos as a common enemy. Like he rightly pointed out, before the arrival of the brits ,you guys were on the verge of wiping each other to extinction. Colonialist saved the Yoruba race.

Once they were gone after 1960,time for self governance came and the old demon resurfaced again. Akintola and Awolowo could not unite to achieve a common goal. It paved way for the Fulanis through Ahmadu Bello to back and install Akintola as the premier. Was that not the beginning of operation wetie wetie. The west was like an asylum where mad people reign supreme.

The Awolowo boys controlling the Lagos Ibadan news outlet started raising the temperature of the polity with accusations of corruption against the government of Ahmadu Bello, Zik, and to a large extent Akintola. Western Nigerian students embarrassed Ahmadu Bello during his visit to the UK.

Then the young nationalists in the army decided to phase out the old guards and their 'corruption infested' government. When the news of the coup broke out there were wild jubilation in the south West media because they got their heart desires in one fell swoop. Then like joke like play the Igbo coup narrative started creeping into the same western media. It fed the already Igbophobia prevalent in the entire nation. The rest is history.

[/s]

Stop rambling rubbish, what's my business with akintola and your ahmadu belo?

I listed the achievements in the SW during regional administration so if you are going to cry and wail, list your achievements in your SE villages in the same period.

I know you can not because your premier and the SE did not achieve anything.

6 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by SamNaijaboy: 12:54pm On Oct 07, 2019
As written by an Igbo man. Isn’t this an excerpt from CHinua’s last book about Biafra?

pazienza:

Your initial supremacy was as a result of proximity to Lagos and first contact with the British.
By 1940s, Ndiigbo had obliterated your lead, and by 1960s, we were firmly in the lead.

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 12:58pm On Oct 07, 2019
[s]
EeyanMayweather:

[/s]
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mandarin: 1:06pm On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

There is no working together between Ndiigbo and Yorubas.
Not in this universe. Our goals and dreams are divergent.
Failure to recognize that by Ojukwu, contributed to his failure in Biafra.

You can agree even with your enemies if you have a common objective of defeating may be a stronger enemy. What the three regions in the south need is a common objective and its workable
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by plaindealer: 1:44pm On Oct 07, 2019
pazienza:

Your initial supremacy was as a result of proximity to Lagos and first contact with the British.
By 1940s, Ndiigbo had obliterated your lead, and by 1960s, we were firmly in the lead.

And you are still crying marginalization and lack of relevance in 2019.

Even instead of the rest of the country trooping to your SE villages to enjoy your so called lead and marvels, it is the other way around, you are the one trooping into other parts of Nigeria, especially the SW for your daily bread.

You people no dey make sense sha..

6 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 2:10pm On Oct 07, 2019
plaindealer:

And you are still crying marginalization and lack of relevance in 2019.

Even instead of the rest of the country trooping to your SE villages to enjoy your so called lead and marvels, it it the other way around, you are the one with trooping into other parts of Nigeria, especially the SW for your daily bread.

You people no dey make sense sha..
He is greatly deluded.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by bluke(m): 5:10pm On Oct 07, 2019
mrvitalis:
Yoruba's are funny ....after what happened to zik in the western region where he was betrayed

U expected him really to form a government with awolowo ? Funny
Same way u expect Niger delta to support the west in 2023 after what u did in 2015

Same thing awolowo was expecting Igbo support after his role in the civil war ?

U betray someone then turn expect the person to support u ...after they say Igbo's don't build bridges

there is a need you think of this political issue.
if zik won in the west, that shows yorubas wanted him to govern them. However his political calculation failed him.
Dont blame yorubas again, for his woes.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by plaindealer: 5:45pm On Oct 07, 2019
mercyville:

He is greatly deluded.

Delusion is one of their major issues.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 7:44pm On Oct 07, 2019
plaindealer:

Delusion is one of their major issues.
lol.....it is in their DNA.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 8:16pm On Oct 07, 2019
gwafaeziokwu:

Azikiwe would have allowed the seccession clause, Aguiyi Ironsi set the tone for abolition of regionalism with his unification decree.

I really don't like going around in circles coz everybody knew the Aburi accord agreement was a common knowledge and was a creation of the military. How you chose to blame Awolowo for that remains a topic for another day.

The treacherous nature of Azikwe, his attitude towards the eve of 1956, his earlier statement when the north tried to seceede, his statement about Igbo seceeding when he fellout with Balewa, his collaboration with the North to charge Awo of treason and also his double dealings made Awolowo never trusted Azkiwe or the Igbos.

Below is the speech of Azikwe in May 12th, 1953 about seccession of the North from Nigeria. The North at that time want to seceede from Nigeria but Zik made it hard for them by trying to play on their intelligence.

""I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!""

In all Honesty, Do you think Awolowo will trust a double-mouthed man like Zik or the Igbos when the East were trying to seceede too?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by mercyville: 8:29pm On Oct 07, 2019
mercyville:

grin
You sound as if you want to cry.
Was the Se eating the electricity because the SW was richer,more developed and had more infrastructures.

The most funny is TVs were operating in the homes of the Swesteners including some Ibos who escaped to the richer SW.

I have never read anywhere that there was no electricity in the SW to run the TVs.

I bet you had more electricity because your leaders thought they might as well give you something. to watch when they did not have the money and clout to meet up with the Yoruba.They eventually gave you enough electricity to watch.....wait for it......BULBS. grin

Igbos had the first BULBSVISION grin

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 8:53am On Oct 09, 2019
Please did you say Western Region lent money to Eastern Region? Please when was that? Can you substrate your claim with empirical evidence.

Thanks!

mercyville:

lol
Are you talking about the fake WAEC results that were debunked?
Yorubas still remain the most educated.
Do you even remember that Western. Region lent money to you 2 times during regional system of government ?

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Oyinlomobambam(m): 11:32am On Oct 09, 2019
mrvitalis:

Because south west pushed us ....we would romance north again in 2023 ...and would you blame us ?

Do u really expect an igbo man to support south west ...what's the logic ?

Is it your turn ? ..haven't u ruled before ? Didn't u betray n romance north in 2015 ? Tell me y we shouldn't romance north

As much as I always avoid ethnic conspiracy in this platform.

I am always open to learn more about the history.

The article was dated to 1959.

Please When was the first time South west first betrayed you? Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

President Tinubu Has Turned His Back On Rivers APC Because Of Wike – Party Chief / Delta Killings: Military Sets To Build Barracks In Okuama / Picture Of Governor Oshiomho In Voting Queue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 116
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.