Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,831 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:11 PM

The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times - Politics (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times (14987 Views)

Open Letter To Peter Obi As Published By Vanguard / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / Trump Finally Adds Nigeria To His Restricted Travel list - NY Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2020
You are drunkenly ahistorical and suffer from cognitive dissonance. How did Zik partner with North to remove the secession clause.

Kapilta:
Op, you are very funny. Even a todler knows the hatred azikiwe bred in his kinsmen and it all started when Awolowo told him to go back to his home state to contest for the seat of the House of rep he intended contesting for in Lagos. He returned back from abroad and saw yorubaland already developed and his greedy brain couldn't think of anything else than how to invade it.

It was on this sentiment that he partner with the north to remove the secession clause, the north have no problem about the clause because they don't even knows what secession clause meant, buh zik had to meet with Tafawa and Sardauna to make sure they suport his stance, Awolowo put secession clause because Yorubaland was all developed and then fear the norths have more number, they might override everyone and take over our already developed land, even though the thing affect our land as it really brought about underdevelopment because they all invaded the land, they came en masse seeking greener pasture buh at the end too, i'm glad Zik hatred consumed him and his kinsmen as about 3 million of them was wasted and as at today, they need the clause more than anyone in the entity.

Azikiwe presented the entire south to the north on a platter of gold since then cuz before then the north always fear the south as they are more educated and developed. Even Balewa was tired of Zik hatred and betrayal that he called the new country Nigeria a mistake. It was actually that his romance that rode on to become what he became and made sure Awo became the only premier to ever be jailed till God of Oduduwa answers by fire which led Igbos to jubilate and celebrate the killing of Bello and others in the 66 coup.

Isn't God of yorubaland so amazing?

Anyway, we've suffered enough in the hands of all the invaders and intruders and it's time to chase them all from our land, time to take back our fatherland from them all, our cities had potentials before they greedily invaded it. Think fatherland (Oduduwa) all the time.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by cocolacec(m): 3:55pm On Jun 03, 2021
Godbless Yorubaland.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by cocolacec(m): 6:10am On Aug 19, 2021
The greatest misfortune as a Nigeria is to be lumped up with narcissitic tribes.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 11:50pm On Dec 30, 2021
"Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down"

You are a study in contradiction. if you knew that Yoruba will be better off with Oduduwa Republic, why didn't Awolowo declare Yoruba independence with the secession of Eastern Region? Why did Yoruba align with the same North that hated them to fight Biafra's independence?

LegendHero:
I stumbled upon the archive of the New York Times in October 18th 1959 on the eve of the election battle preceding the independence. The article clearly shows the genesis of the problem of Nigeria and how the Igbos and North both ganged up against the Yorubas because of their hatred for the success of the Western region.

Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down.

Below are the quotes from the Times newspaper:

The conservative North, 75 percent Muslim and containing about half of Nigeria's population, is governed by the Northern people's congress. The premier is Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, who carries the title of Saraduana of Sokoto.

In the East, where the intelligent, energetic Ibo tribes predominates the controlling party is the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons, headed by one of the most dazzling of Nigerian politicians, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, premier of the Eastern region, who is known throughout the country as Zik.

In the somewhat more developed west, which is Yoruba Country, the government is run quite well, it is said by Chief Awolowo, an able politician, and his Action group. The West points with pride to its universal free primary education, free medical treatment for children up to 18years of age, agricultural planning and other social programs of which no other Nigerian region can boast of.

On the Hatred of the Yorubas by Azikwe and Balewa:
The Federal government whose prime minister is Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, a muslim notable from the north, is managed by a coalition of the Northern people congress and National council of the Nigeria and the Cameroonians, two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo).

Anytime the Igbos accuse Yorubas of being betrayals, you should direct them to this factual statement of their eternal betrayal of the Yorubas by being slaves to the North and being a coward to conspire with the north to hate Awolowo who would have made this Nigeria a great country.

Please Nairalanders, read the rest of the details in the affix pages below.
CC: MetaPhysical Osaze007 Afamed Iblad0994 Asnafsaeed immortalityk Anambralstson buhariguy Johnnyessence Omenka SLAP44 lazz

Modified: some people are asking me for the source of the news. You need to subscribe to the New York Times website to be able to view the archives, even if you click on the link you won’t be able to view until after you subscribe.

https://www.nytimes.com/1959/10/18/archives/election-battle-warms-in-nigeria-three-parties-seek-control-of.html?searchResultPosition=2
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by LegendHero(m): 11:58pm On Dec 30, 2021
Uchek:
"Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down"

You are a study in contradiction. if you knew that Yoruba will be better off with Oduduwa Republic, why didn't Awolowo declare Yoruba independence with the secession of Eastern Region? Why did Yoruba align with the same North that hated them to fight Biafra's independence?

Awolowo do not make hasty decision like Ojukwu.

Why change a system that is working in the first place? Moreso Awo doesn't have the power (at least looking at the situation pre the civil war) to declare secession coz declaring secession is not a tea party or something one just decide as a loner.

Also Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not just based on reflex of Eastern region declaring the same.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 12:06am On Dec 31, 2021
You did not address the questions posed to you. Your response is wishy-washy.

LegendHero:

I really don't like going around in circles coz everybody knew the Aburi accord agreement was a common knowledge and was a creation of the military. How you chose to blame Awolowo for that remains a topic for another day.

The treacherous nature of Azikwe, his attitude towards the eve of 1956, his earlier statement when the north tried to seceede, his statement about Igbo seceeding when he fellout with Balewa, his collaboration with the North to charge Awo of treason and also his double dealings made Awolowo never trusted Azkiwe or the Igbos.

Below is the speech of Azikwe in May 12th, 1953 about seccession of the North from Nigeria. The North at that time want to seceede from Nigeria but Zik made it hard for them by trying to play on their intelligence.

""I have invited you to attend this caucus because I would like you to make clear our stand on the issue of secession. As a party, we would have preferred Nigeria to remain intact, but lest there be doubt as to our willingness to concede to any shade of political opinion the right to determine its policy, I am obliged to issue a solemn warning to those who are goading the North towards secession. If you agree with my views, then I hope that in course of our deliberations tonight, you will endorse them, to enable me to publicize them in the Press.

In my opinion, the Northerners are perfectly entitled to consider whether or not they should secede from the indissoluble union which nature has formed between it and the South, but it would be calamitous to the corporate existence of the North should the clamour for secession prevail. I, therefore, counsel Northern leaders to weigh the advantages and disadvantages of secession before embarking upon this dangerous course.

As one who was born in the North, I have a deep spiritual attachment to that part of the country, but it would be a capital political blunder if the North should break away from the South. The latter is in a better position to make rapid constitutional advance, so that if the North should become truncated from the South, it would benefit both Southerners and Northerners who are domiciled in the South more than their kith and kin who are domiciled in the North.

There are seven reasons for my holding to this view. Secession by the North may lead to internal political convulsion there when it is realized that militant nationalists and their organizations, like the NLPU, the Askianist Movement, and the Middle Zone League, have aspirations for self-government in 1956 identical with those of their Southern compatriots. It may lead to justifiable demands for the right of self-determination by non-Muslims, who form the majority of the population in the so-called ‘Pagan’ provinces, like Benue, Ilorin, Kabba, Niger and Plateau, not to mention the claims of non-Muslims who are domiciled in Adamawa and Bauchi Provinces.

It may lead to economic nationalism in the Eastern Region, which can pursue a policy of blockade of the North, by refusing it access to the sea, over and under the River Niger, except upon payment of tolls. It may lead to economic warfare between the North on the one hand, and the Eastern or Western regions on the other, should they decide to fix protective tariffs which will make the use of the ports of the Last and West uneconomic for the North.

The North may be rich in mineral resources and certain cash crops, but that is no guarantee that it would be capable of growing sufficient food crops to enable it to feed its teeming millions, unlike the East and the West. Secession may create hardship for Easterners and Westerners who are domiciled in the North, since the price of food crops to be imported into the North from the South is bound to be very high and to cause an increase in the cost of living. Lastly, it will endanger the relations with their neighbours of millions of Northerners who are domiciled in the East and West and Easterners and Westerners who reside in the North.

You may ask me whether there would be a prospect of civil war, if the North decided to secede? My answer would be that it is a hypothetical question which only time can answer. In any case, the plausible cause of a civil war might be a dispute as to the right of passage on the River Niger, or the right of flight over the territory of the Eastern or Western Region; but such disputes can be settled diplomatically, instead of by force.

Nevertheless, if civil war should become inevitable at this stage of our progress as a nation, then security considerations must be borne in mind by those who are charged with the responsibility of government of the North and the South. Military forces and installations are fairly distributed in all the three regions; if that is not the case, any of the regions can obtain military aid from certain interested Powers. It means that we cannot preclude the possibility of alliance with certain countries.

You may ask me to agree that if the British left Nigeria to its fate, the Northerners would continue their uninterrupted march to the sea, as was prophesied six years ago? My reply is that such an empty threat is devoid of historical substance and that so far as I know, the Eastern Region has never been subjugated by any indigenous African invader. At the price of being accused of overconfidence, I will risk a prophecy and say that, other things being equal, the Easterners will defend themselves gallantly, if and when they are invaded.

Let me take this opportunity to warn those who are making a mountain out of the molehill of the constitutional crisis to be more restrained and constructive. The dissemination of lies abroad; the publishing of flamboyant headlines about secessionist plans, and the goading of empty-headed careerists with gaseous ideas about their own importance in tile scheme of things in the North is being overdone in certain quarters. I feel that these quarters must be held responsible for any breach between the North and South, which nature had indissolubly united in a political, social and economic marriage of convenience. In my personal opinion, there is no sense in the North breaking away or the East or the West breaking away; it would be better if all the regions would address themselves to the task of crystallizing common nationality, irrespective of the extraneous influences at work. What history has joined together let no man put asunder. But history is a strange mistress which can cause strange things to happen!""

In all Honesty, Do you think Awolowo will trust a double-mouthed man like Zik or the Igbos when the East were trying to seceede too?

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ovamboland(m): 1:34am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

What should he have done
...partnership is about trust ..

.u expected zik to trust awolowo ...? After what awolowo did to zik ...zik should have worked with him ?

When we n north allies we do so as equals ...if zik was used by birth Awolowo was what ?
Lol

Zik lost the election in western region and could not bring himself to accept the results. Just like his offsprings today find it difficult to accept they lost the 2015 and 2019 elections. They have since gone crazy killing themselves in protest

8 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by kayusely70(m): 3:57am On Dec 31, 2021
Kapilta:
Op, you are very funny. Even a todler knows the hatred azikiwe bred in his kinsmen and it all started when Awolowo told him to go back to his home state to contest for the seat of the House of rep he intended contesting for in Lagos. He returned back from abroad and saw yorubaland already developed and his greedy brain couldn't think of anything else than how to invade it.

It was on this sentiment that he partner with the north to remove the secession clause, the north have no problem about the clause because they don't even knows what secession clause meant, buh zik had to meet with Tafawa and Sardauna to make sure they suport his stance, Awolowo put secession clause because Yorubaland was all developed and then fear the norths have more number, they might override everyone and take over our already developed land, even though the thing affect our land as it really brought about underdevelopment because they all invaded the land, they came en masse seeking greener pasture buh at the end too, i'm glad Zik hatred consumed him and his kinsmen as about 3 million of them was wasted and as at today, they need the clause more than anyone in the entity.

Azikiwe presented the entire south to the north on a platter of gold since then cuz before then the north always fear the south as they are more educated and developed. Even Balewa was tired of Zik hatred and betrayal that he called the new country Nigeria a mistake. It was actually that his romance that rode on to become what he became and made sure Awo became the only premier to ever be jailed till God of Oduduwa answers by fire which led Igbos to jubilate and celebrate the killing of Bello and others in the 66 coup.

Isn't God of yorubaland so amazing?

Anyway, we've suffered enough in the hands of all the invaders and intruders and it's time to chase them all from our land, time to take back our fatherland from them all, our cities had potentials before they greedily invaded it. Think fatherland (Oduduwa) all the time.
You've spoken very well and reasonably too!

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:12am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:
Yoruba's are funny ....after what happened to zik in the western region where he was betrayed

U expected him really to form a government with awolowo ? Funny
Same way u expect Niger delta to support the west in 2023 after what u did in 2015

Same thing awolowo was expecting Igbo support after his role in the civil war ?

U betray someone then turn expect the person to support u ...after they say Igbo's don't build bridges

What happened to Zik o? Biko enlighten us. Let us test your depth of history of politics in Nigeria. How and in what instance was Zik betrayed by Yoruba? Your victim mentality will always make you to twist the truth.

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:18am On Dec 31, 2021
Uchek:

What goes round comes round. Zik was the beginning of Igbo people's troubles.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:23am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

Because south west pushed us ....we would romance north again in 2023 ...and would you blame us ?

Do u really expect an igbo man to support south west ...what's the logic ?

Is it your turn ? ..haven't u ruled before ? Didn't u betray n romance north in 2015 ? Tell me y we shouldn't romance north

But you started it. Why would you start it in the 1st place? You are unrepentant and remorseless about the misdeeds of your leader. But you want support from the SW? Even the North that you are romancing with will never give you presidency. Because they know you too well.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:37am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

What should he have done
...partnership is about trust ..

.u expected zik to trust awolowo ...? After what awolowo did to zik ...zik should have worked with him ?

When we n north allies we do so as equals ...if zik was used by birth Awolowo was what ?
Lol

But you folks are very funny. What did Awo do to Zik? What exactly? Zik saw a dead buffalo by the streams and drew a meat cleaver. Did the buffalo drown itself? Hell no! It was a hunter that shot it. This is simple logic now. How can you leave the eastern region and want a slot in the west? Is that not serious greed? How many times have you seen or heard of a Yoruba man dragging post in the then Eastern region, or even now? Guy be real. It is the igbos this stupid hatred is killing. Not Yorubas.

6 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:45am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

North didnt killed 3 million Igbos

Nigeria ,north south west and middle belt ,.....Gowon went to war cos of awolowo advice

So u see zik was wise to avoid awolowo

Don't worry south west would chose would vote south west ....they have forgotten 2015

Your political irrelevance and subjugation by your Fulani masters will continue until you embrace Yorubas. Your fathers have sown the hatred in you. And it will continue to pan out for you same way it did for your fathers.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:48am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

For the record we would ...for the record we have

The first mayor of Enugu was a Fulani man ...so whats ur point

We are fulani slaves .....which tribe always have disgraceful end after partnership with the north ?

Your partnership with the North was so graceful that they had to hack 66 thousand of your people to death in the 1966 genocide. Mtchewwwe. Yeye de smell.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 4:49am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

If we hated Yoruba's so much why did we vote OBJ ...it seems u don't even see my point

So what do you expect from Igbo's in 2023

U want Igbo's to vote south west in 2023 ? And why

You voted in OBJ against the wishes of the mainstream SW.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 5:30am On Dec 31, 2021
selemempe:
we can absolve and forgive them...but not the yorubas

Go phuq yourself

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 5:33am On Dec 31, 2021
mrvitalis:

The people that made sure awolowo never became more than a finance minister

And the people that made sure they can never produce a president.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 5:44am On Dec 31, 2021
LegendHero:

I wanted to add Edo also but I don't want to make people accuse me of deciding for other people but I know the Edos and the Yorubas share a lot in common.

I have some of the archives that shows how the Eastern and Northern hemogeny made sure the mid-west is formed from the western region just to limit the growth and dominance of the western region.

We would have been great by being together but the conspiracy was well planned out.

I tell you, everything the Fulanis are doing today to us, every single thing were taught to them by Igbos. They taught them everything. All the greed, the nepotism, the corruption, the avarice, the wickedness, the killings were all learnt from the Igbos. The plan of the Igbos was pure dominance. But God frustrated them.

5 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 5:47am On Dec 31, 2021
kotv:

Oil headquarters is situated in Lagos for the exact same reason you people made sure everything is situated in Lagos. You're greedy people and have always been greedy people. How would Jonathan move the oil headquarters when even the smallest thing he does your leaders attacked, belittled and turned the country against him because of your wickedness and hatefulness. You call yourselves peaceful and welcoming? Weren't you people the same people that attacked Igbos for attempting to vote in 2019. Your peaceful and welcoming is more a figment of you and your people's imagination.

If you think I'm the only one accusing Yoruba of cornering the wealth of the nation, take your Oduduwa talk outside of Nairaland and into the real world, encourage your politicians to seek your disintegration and you'll see how fast Nigerians will vote you people out if you're in doubt.

You are just a sobbing puppy.

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 5:51am On Dec 31, 2021
meccuno:
I can clearly see the stance of this Legend Hero guy. I even assumed he was a bit sensible. From his write up the Igbos are the problems and the Yorubas can stay alone. But from that logic,the Yorubas and the North have been the ones rulling since after the civil war so how does the Igbos factor in? Are you saying a combined leadership of the North and Yorubas have brought nothing but mediocrity? Yorubas can stay alone but since after Independence you don't hear them talk about their oduduwa. This Legend Hero is just trying to create a false narrative. And it won't work. It all the problems were from the Igbos,the sensible thing is for them to support division and let's see how far.

You are making no sense nighah! No sense at all.

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 6:13am On Dec 31, 2021
Drogunov:

You are making no sense nighah! No sense at all.
it would only make sense to someone with a brain. Cow brains are not included. grin
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Drogunov: 6:59am On Dec 31, 2021
meccuno:
it would only make sense to someone with a brain. Cow brains are not included. grin

Someone with a brain meaning a cannibal. grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by jneutron4000: 7:09am On Dec 31, 2021
[s]
mrvitalis:
Yoruba's are funny ....after what happened to zik in the western region where he was betrayed

U expected him really to form a government with awolowo ? Funny
Same way u expect Niger delta to support the west in 2023 after what u did in 2015

Same thing awolowo was expecting Igbo support after his role in the civil war ?

U betray someone then turn expect the person to support u ...after they say Igbo's don't build bridges
[/s]As usual lies upon lies despite the fact that you see facts. What was Zik ibo man doing in Western region Ibadan, dragging to be premier with Awolowo?

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Gazzy88(m): 7:31am On Dec 31, 2021
Anything ibos does today, Yoruba has done and left it years ago. This people are fighting the reality that yorubas are miles ahead of them. They are doing everything possible to pull us down so they can take our place but the more they try, the harder it gets for them. Anything or anyone that stands against their agenda to dominate Yorùbás, they strive to hate and ridicule it.

They don't just hate tinubu for hating sake, they hate him because he has Lagos in his pockets which doesn't go well with ibos. They hate the whole yorubas cos Lagos falls on our laps and ibos find it difficult to admit the reality.

4 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by meccuno: 8:12am On Dec 31, 2021
Drogunov:

Someone with a brain meaning a cannibal. grin grin grin
well, cannibals don't sell the meat. They eat it. But Afonjas use the heads for IGR grin
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ovamboland(m): 9:28am On Dec 31, 2021
Osaze007:

Goal post shifting
If you can’t beat them
Minimize their achievements haq haq

And go and check, you will see they also started copying the Western region programs once they are able to save enough money.
Zik tried to copy the free education model and it failed as they could not replicate the creativity required to finance free basic education

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Idiko1: 9:37am On Dec 31, 2021
LegendHero:
I stumbled upon the archive of the New York Times in October 18th 1959 on the eve of the election battle preceding the independence. The article clearly shows the genesis of the problem of Nigeria and how the Igbos and North both ganged up against the Yorubas because of their hatred for the success of the Western region.

Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down.

Below are the quotes from the Times newspaper:

The conservative North, 75 percent Muslim and containing about half of Nigeria's population, is governed by the Northern people's congress. The premier is Alhaji Sir Ahmadu Bello, who carries the title of Saraduana of Sokoto.

In the East, where the intelligent, energetic Ibo tribes predominates the controlling party is the National Council of Nigeria and the Cameroons, headed by one of the most dazzling of Nigerian politicians, Dr. Nnamdi Azikwe, premier of the Eastern region, who is known throughout the country as Zik.

In the somewhat more developed west, which is Yoruba Country, the government is run quite well, it is said by Chief Awolowo, an able politician, and his Action group. The West points with pride to its universal free primary education, free medical treatment for children up to 18years of age, agricultural planning and other social programs of which no other Nigerian region can boast of.

On the Hatred of the Yorubas by Azikwe and Balewa:
The Federal government whose prime minister is Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, a muslim notable from the north, is managed by a coalition of the Northern people congress and National council of the Nigeria and the Cameroonians, two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo).

Anytime the Igbos accuse Yorubas of being betrayals, you should direct them to this factual statement of their eternal betrayal of the Yorubas by being slaves to the North and being a coward to conspire with the north to hate Awolowo who would have made this Nigeria a great country.

Please Nairalanders, read the rest of the details in the affix pages below.
CC: MetaPhysical Osaze007 Afamed Iblad0994 Asnafsaeed immortalityk Anambralstson buhariguy Johnnyessence Omenka SLAP44 lazz

Modified: some people are asking me for the source of the news. You need to subscribe to the New York Times website to be able to view the archives, even if you click on the link you won’t be able to view until after you subscribe.

https://www.nytimes.com/1959/10/18/archives/election-battle-warms-in-nigeria-three-parties-seek-control-of.html?searchResultPosition=2

When I read certain craps posted on this forum, I try to imagine the level of intellect of the goons who wrote the silly pieces and comprehensible ability of the posters. This is type of goofy tuff which seems to make the day for the dunces, such as "Two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo)". I did not know Awolowo was a political party. NPC and NCNC were two of many political parties which fought for parliamentary seats during 1959 election. The results as tabled indicated the coalition of NCNC and AG could not form a government. In addition, the coalition of NPC and AG could not form a government too. The most reasonable action therein remained a coalition of NPC and NCNC to form a coalition which guaranteed two-third majority in the legislature.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Idiko1: 9:43am On Dec 31, 2021
LegendHero:

Lol we are talking about premiership and leadership of a whole region and you're talking about an inconsequential mayor.

@your bolded question, the tribe that have a disgraceful end after partnership with the North is the Igbos, let me tell you why:
The North betrayed Azikwe by killing scores of Igbos between1966-1970 and they brole Azikwe spirit that made him renounce Biafra.
The North disgraced Igbos in 1983/1984 when the jailed Ekwueme and freed Shagari, Ekwueme was disgraced by being placed behind bar.

To the poster of the above junk, your stream of thought matched very well with a high school dropout who turned motor vehicle detailer. The bolded in red in the above is one of the idiotic scribbles which emboldened the northern regional elites to assume Nigeria remains theirs for keep. Between 1966-1970, Nigeria (northern, western and midwestern regions) not the north betrayed Azikwe by killing many numbers of Ndigbo.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Igbokid: 10:01am On Dec 31, 2021
Idiko1:

When I read certain craps posted on this forum, I try to imagine the level of intellect of the goons who wrote the silly pieces and comprehensible ability of the posters. This is type of goofy tuff which seems to make the day for the dunces, such as "Two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo)". I did not know Awolowo was a political party. NPC and NCNC were two of many political parties which fought for parliamentary seats during 1959 election. The results as tabled indicated the coalition of NCNC and AG could not form a government. In addition, the coalition of NPC and AG could not form a government too. The most reasonable action therein remained a coalition of NPC and NCNC to form a coalition which guaranteed two-third majority in the legislature.

Are you dyslexic ?
Isn't the bolded part clear enough ? You are a joke and should probably be in the sanatorium nursing your dementia grin

Any 2 of the 3 parties could form a government. Abi you knew more than Awolowo and the AG that were making overtures to Azikwe then ?

The silly excuse of the Zikists was that they didn't want 2 parties predominantly formed by Southerners to form the government . They apparently had the numbers if they wanted .

Sadly, we all know the outcome of the NPC/NCNC romance . Thousands murdered in 1966 . Millions murdered in 1967-1970.
And your Fulani husband ensured you ended up as a dot in a circle grin grin
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by HenryWilliams(m): 10:03am On Dec 31, 2021
LegendHero:

Lol, this should be the most ridiculous statement I've ever heard in my life. The southwest as it stands today contribute the greatest revenue to this country from the non-oil sector.

*Lagos alone has turned to a refugee camp for all other ethnic tribes because of the economic opportunities it offers*.

Ogun state IGR alone is more than the combined one for the 5 SE states.

If the SW were to declare to leave Nigeria, that means all the economic asset of other tribes in Nigeria will leave with it which will make it hard for Nigeria to let go.

Dangote multi billion dollar refinery alone located in the SW is important that any investment in any other region in Nigeria which explains the importance of the SW.

SW or Yoruba part has been the most advance, developed, and successful region right from 1914 through 1969 till date. No same person dare argue that fact.

We are waking up now and telling the other Yorubas that are still under thr illusion of one Nigeria to wake up from their slumber and embrace the new wave of reality.

*Lagos alone has turned to a refugee camp for all other ethnic tribes because of the economic opportunities it offers*.

This part saddens me the most.. if you see how they troop in their hundreds daily, you'll weep.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Nobody: 10:53am On Dec 31, 2021
Shhhh. The New York Times is along the Lagos/Ibadan expressway. It was (and still is) part of the Lagos/Ibadan ewedu press. I as an individual can't believe whatever they print. We yeebos will only believe what 80 year old Mazi Ezeugo told us under the shed while drinking palmwine and taking kolanuts. And what he told us was that the yeast was feeding the whole of Nigeria before independence.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

₦58 Billion Disbursed To Poor Nigerians In 2 Months – FG / COVID-19 Affected My Fight Against Corruption, Insecurity – Buhari / Governor Fubara Inspects The Reconstruction Of Old Port Harcourt - Bori Road

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.