Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times (15012 Views)

Open Letter To Peter Obi As Published By Vanguard / Major Ibrahim Babangida And Mamman Vatsa In Okigwe In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / Trump Finally Adds Nigeria To His Restricted Travel list - NY Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Idiko1: 10:55am On Dec 31, 2021
Igbokid:

Are you dyslexic ?
Isn't the bolded part clear enough ? You are a joke and should probably be in the sanatorium nursing your dementia grin

Any 2 of the 3 parties could form a government. Abi you knew more than Awolowo and the AG that were making overtures to Azikwe then ?

The silly excuse of the Zikists was that they didn't want 2 parties predominantly formed by Southerners to form the government . They apparently had the numbers if they wanted .

Sadly, we all know the outcome of the NPC/NCNC romance . Thousands murdered in 1966 . Millions murdered in 1967-1970.
And your Fulani husband ensured you ended up as a dot in a circle grin grin

I do not suffer from phonological Dyslexia as you do. Only a dumbass fool who takes Awolowo for Action Group is dyslexic. In addition, based on the official tabulation of the 1959 parliamentary result, I deduced to know more than Awolowo and Action Group. Awolowo played a game of turncoat only known to Yoruba by sending a team of snitches to Kaduna while he joined Ige to Onitsha. Talk being dyslexic, only a sufferer can conclude that the 1966 pogrom in northern region of Nigeria was as a result of NPC/NCNC coalition instead of the actions precipitated by the putschists.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Igbokid: 11:35am On Dec 31, 2021
Idiko1:

I do not suffer from phonological Dyslexia as you do. Only a dumbass fool who takes Awolowo for Action Group is dyslexic. In addition, based on the official tabulation of the 1959 parliamentary result, I deduced to know more than Awolowo and Action Group. Awolowo played a game of turncoat only known to Yoruba by sending a team of snitches to Kaduna while he joined Ige to Onitsha. Talk being dyslexic, only a sufferer can conclude that the 1966 pogrom in northern region of Nigeria was as a result of NPC/NCNC coalition instead of the actions precipitated by the putschists.
Well, if you weren't dyslexic, you must be really suffering from some extreme mental retardation.
Your IQ is probably in the single digits .

Awolowo was the leader of AG and no decision would be taken by the party without his approval or support.

True to your lying habits which borders on the pathological, you claimed AG and NCNC didn't have the numbers to form the government yet in another breath you said Awo/Ige were in Onitsha .
Did Awo/Ige go to Onitsha to eat okpa
If you needed to see a brain dead loser..just look in the mirror. I hope it isn't genetical tho because that would be disastrous for your scions.

Stop shifting goal post and get some proper book to read kiddo.

Lemme educate you since you are too dumb to recognise the fact.
The reasons the coupists claimed for embarking on the so called revolution were widespread corruption and abuse of power by the NPC/NCNC led federal government .

If the utterly corrupt NPC/NCNC government wasn't in place , there wouldn't have been a coup and the subsequent events that eventually resulted into the civil war.

I'm sure this simple logic would fly over you abi should I do a craniotomy and paste the writing on your cerebral cortex grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Idiko1: 11:56am On Dec 31, 2021
Igbokid:

Well, if you weren't dyslexic, you must be really suffering from some extreme mental retardation.
Your IQ is probably in the single digits .

Awolowo was the leader of AG and no decision would be taken by the party without his approval or support.

True to your lying habits which borders on the pathological, you claimed AG and NCNC didn't have the numbers to form the government yet in another breath you said Awo/Ige were in Onitsha .
Did Awo/Ige go to Onitsha to eat okpa
If you needed to see a brain dead loser..just look in the mirror. I hope it isn't genetical tho because that would be disastrous for your scions.

Stop shifting goal post and get some proper book to read kiddo.

Lemme educate you since you are too dumb to recognise the fact.
The reasons the coupists claimed for embarking on the so called revolution were widespread corruption and abuse of power by the NPC/NCNC led federal government .

If the utterly corrupt NPC/NCNC government wasn't in place , there wouldn't have been a coup and the subsequent events that eventually resulted into the civil war.

I'm sure this simple logic would fly over you abi should I do a craniotomy and paste the writing on your cerebral cortex grin grin

You are typical Nigerian who are loudmouthed yet cannot secure a job due to poor performance at the job interview. Awolowo being leader of Action Group Party did not make Awolowo the Action Group Party. Subsequent events that followed 1960 proved it as fact. Action Group Party continued as a political party when Awolowo was slammed into jail for treason. For curiosity's sake, have you seen a question from Intelligent Quotient Test? Even Zik was flabbergasted that Awo and Ige visited him in Onitsha. Awolowo was a typical Yoruba with Ponzi characteristics. Wow!!! Did I not mention being a typical Yoruba? Now the reason behind the precipitation of coup on January 15, 1966 was indeed corruption not Igbo wanting to dominate.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by thinksense: 12:04pm On Dec 31, 2021
North, east or west any better candidate am gonna support for better tommorrow for my tribe sake. See obansanjo vs edwin clerk case.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ovamboland(m): 12:36pm On Dec 31, 2021
Idiko1:

When I read certain craps posted on this forum, I try to imagine the level of intellect of the goons who wrote the silly pieces and comprehensible ability of the posters. This is type of goofy tuff which seems to make the day for the dunces, such as "Two parties that have very little in common except mutual dislike of the third (Awolowo)". I did not know Awolowo was a political party. NPC and NCNC were two of many political parties which fought for parliamentary seats during 1959 election. The results as tabled indicated the coalition of NCNC and AG could not form a government. In addition, the coalition of NPC and AG could not form a government too. The most reasonable action therein remained a coalition of NPC and NCNC to form a coalition which guaranteed two-third majority in the legislature.

Only a simple majority was needed to produce the prime minister and head the govt.

NCNC would have been the senior partner since they won a bit more seats than AG. But they preferred to become a junior partner under NPC and got ceremonial governor-general who will wear uniform and be receiving visitors for the PM and inspecting a military honour guard

2 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Ovamboland(m): 12:47pm On Dec 31, 2021
Idiko1:

You are typical Nigerian who are loudmouthed yet cannot secure a job due to poor performance at the job interview. Awolowo being leader of Action Group Party did not make Awolowo the Action Group Party. Subsequent events that followed 1960 proved it as fact. Action Group Party continued as a political party when Awolowo was slammed into jail for treason. For curiosity's sake, have you seen a question from Intelligent Quotient Test? Even Zik was flabbergasted that Awo and Ige visited him in Onitsha. Awolowo was a typical Yoruba with Ponzi characteristics. Wow!!! Did I not mention being a typical Yoruba? Now the reason behind the precipitation of coup on January 15, 1966 was indeed corruption not Igbo wanting to dominate.

It's a terrible thing for Awo to have a team discussing with NPC in the north but it is perfectly alright and normal for Azikiwe to be discussing and cutting deals with the same northern party NPC on the phone from his bedroom. It was alright for Zik to be reporting to Sardauna Bello on Awo's movement.

You can never measure others with the same standard you hold yourself, you feel you're cleverer than all others. That's why you remain misfits and have your coconut head always bruised in almost all societies you find yourself whether within Nigeria or malaysia, Vietnam or China

3 Likes

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Igbokid: 1:01pm On Dec 31, 2021
Idiko1:

You keep running around in a circle.
I like the way I'm exsanguinating you. grin

Your initial lie was that AG and NCNC didn't have the numbers but ever since I bursted your lie , you've resorted to shifting the goal post just to save face .

Kindly point out the part where I claimed Awo and AG were one and the same . Stop lying abeg !
Don't you have any honour ?? It's even a faceless medium for Pete sake grin

If you had any working neuron in that brain , you would have realised that I said that the coupists ''claimed" ... However, the result of the coup revealed the motive behind it - Ibo domination.

The Ibo treachery and backstabbing of Jan1966 was well documented . They killed the NPC leaders but miraculously allowed Zik and his counterparts that formed the so called corrupt government to walk free.

The coup being an ethnic cleansing /agenda isn't even debatable .

You being a typical Ibo with extreem greed and dishonesty would never agree that your useless forebears in typical Ibo fashion laid the foundation of Nigeria's woes and we are yet to recover from the mistake of January 15 1966. Ciao!
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 1:04pm On Jan 01, 2022
Your response is stinks to high heavens. You are a pedestrian and logic-impaired commentator. You are all over NAIRALAND spewing half-truths and fabrications. You make a substantive statement in thread and in another thread, you contradict and invalidate your earlier statements.

Here is the statement that attracted my response.
"Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down

Your response ("Why change a system that is working in the first place?') is contradictory to your statement, ("I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down")

The system could not be working if remaining in Nigeria is pulling Yoruba down. The system could not be working if the Bello and Zik hated Awolowo with so much passion that they sought to pull him down. Why would Awolowo want to remain in the same country with the same people that hated him passionately?

Your response ("Awolowo do not make hasty decision like Ojukwu............Moreso Awo doesn't have the power (at least looking at the situation pre the civil war) to declare secession coz declaring secession is not a tea party or something one just decide as a loner" "Also Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not just based on reflex of Eastern region declaring the same") contradicts your comment ( "I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down")

The 1966/67 crisis was a golden opportunity gifted by providence to Awolowo to peacefully and bloodlessly pull Western Region out of Nigeria that is, according to you, pulling Yoruba down. Yoruba could never have asked for such a better opportunity. The two Yoruba enemies -Eastern and Northern Regions - were fighting each other. All Yoruba needed to do was to stand aside and allow their two enemies to destroy themselves. Instead Awolowo joined the North - the region that hated him with so much passion - to fight Biafra and sustain One Nigeria which was pulling Yoruba down. I agree with you that Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not based on reflex of Eastern Region. It is over 50 years since Igbo declared Biafra. When will Yoruba declare their freedom from this Nigeria that according to you is pulling her down. Since that 1950s, Yoruba has been making noise about secession from Nigeria. But they are only good at talking the talk not walking the talk.

On May 1, 1967 at a meeting of Leaders of thought of Western Region, Chief Obafemi Awolowo made the following declarations: ‘I consider my duty to Yoruba people in particular and to Nigerians in general to place four imperatives, two of them categorical, and two conditional. (1) Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy. (2) The Eastern Region must be encouraged to remain part of the Federation (3) If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt of Nigeria, then Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation. We know what happened when Eastern Region seceded. Awolowo chickened out and chose to serve in the government of his mortal political enemy

Ojukwu did not make a hasty decision. That's view is Yoruba false narrative of the war. Ojukwu forced Gowon to come to Aburi to address crisis confronting Nigeria. A comprehensive accord called Aburi Accord was reached but Gowon chose not to implement it because it was going to create a decentralized Nigeria impossible for the North to dominate and manipulate. Ojukwu insisted on the sanctity of Aburi Accord. The two Yoruba governors (Adebayo of Western Region and Mobolaji-Johnson of Lagos) who signed the accord chickened out an

LegendHero:

Awolowo do not make hasty decision like Ojukwu.

Why change a system that is working in the first place? Moreso Awo doesn't have the power (at least looking at the situation pre the civil war) to declare secession coz declaring secession is not a tea party or something one just decide as a loner.

Also Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not just based on reflex of Eastern region declaring the same.

1 Like

Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 1:16pm On Jan 01, 2022
"The coup being an ethnic cleansing /agenda isn't even debatable"

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the coup carried by military personal of different ethnic groups being ethnic cleansing/agenda?

Can you show me empirical evidence that Awolowo came to Onitsha to discuss with Zik?

Igbokid:

You keep running around in a circle.
I like the way I'm exsanguinating you. grin

Your initial lie was that AG and NCNC didn't have the numbers but ever since I bursted your lie , you've resorted to shifting the goal post just to save face .

Kindly point out the part where I claimed Awo and AG were one and the same . Stop lying abeg !
Don't you have any honour ?? It's even a faceless medium for Pete sake grin

If you had any working neuron in that brain , you would have realised that I said that the coupists ''claimed" ... However, the result of the coup revealed the motive behind it - Ibo domination.

The Ibo treachery and backstabbing of Jan1966 was well documented . They killed the NPC leaders but miraculously allowed Zik and his counterparts that formed the so called corrupt government to walk free.

The coup being an ethnic cleansing /agenda isn't even debatable .

You being a typical Ibo with extreem greed and dishonesty would never agree that your useless forebears in typical Ibo fashion laid the foundation of Nigeria's woes and we are yet to recover from the mistake of January 15 1966. Ciao!
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Igbokid: 2:34pm On Jan 01, 2022
Uchek:
"The coup being an ethnic cleansing /agenda isn't even debatable"

How did you arrive at the conclusion that the coup carried by military personal of different ethnic groups being ethnic cleansing/agenda?

Can you show me empirical evidence that Awolowo came to Onitsha to discuss with Zik?

I never claimed Awo was personally in Onitsha .
It was the guy I quoted that made the claim.
I only used his statement to make him reason logically.

AG guys were at Onitsha at the behest of Awo of course.

As per your first question about the coup having an ethnic colouration, I'll leave you to your conscience
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Igbokid: 2:45pm On Jan 01, 2022
Uchek:
Your response is stinks to high heavens. You are a pedestrian and logic-impaired commentator. You are all over NAIRALAND spewing half-truths and fabrications. You make a substantive statement in thread and in another thread, you contradict and invalidate your earlier statements.

Here is the statement that attracted my response.
"Excerpts from the paper shows the Western Region is the most developed and richest region in Nigeria pre-1960, and it also capture succinctly what I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down

Your response ("Why change a system that is working in the first place?') is contradictory to your statement, ("I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down")

The system could not be working if remaining in Nigeria is pulling Yoruba down. The system could not be working if the Bello and Zik hated Awolowo with so much passion that they sought to pull him down. Why would Awolowo want to remain in the same country with the same people that hated him passionately?

Your response ("Awolowo do not make hasty decision like Ojukwu............Moreso Awo doesn't have the power (at least looking at the situation pre the civil war) to declare secession coz declaring secession is not a tea party or something one just decide as a loner" "Also Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not just based on reflex of Eastern region declaring the same") contradicts your comment ( "I have been saying that the Yorubas will be far better off with our Oduduwa Republic than remaining in this Nigeria that is pulling us down")

The 1966/67 crisis was a golden opportunity gifted by providence to Awolowo to peacefully and bloodlessly pull Western Region out of Nigeria that is, according to you, pulling Yoruba down. Yoruba could never have asked for such a better opportunity. The two Yoruba enemies -Eastern and Northern Regions - were fighting each other. All Yoruba needed to do was to stand aside and allow their two enemies to destroy themselves. Instead Awolowo joined the North - the region that hated him with so much passion - to fight Biafra and sustain One Nigeria which was pulling Yoruba down. I agree with you that Yoruba independence will be based on Yoruba terms and not based on reflex of Eastern Region. It is over 50 years since Igbo declared Biafra. When will Yoruba declare their freedom from this Nigeria that according to you is pulling her down. Since that 1950s, Yoruba has been making noise about secession from Nigeria. But they are only good at talking the talk not walking the talk.

On May 1, 1967 at a meeting of Leaders of thought of Western Region, Chief Obafemi Awolowo made the following declarations: ‘I consider my duty to Yoruba people in particular and to Nigerians in general to place four imperatives, two of them categorical, and two conditional. (1) Only a peaceful solution must be found to arrest the present worsening stalemate and restore normalcy. (2) The Eastern Region must be encouraged to remain part of the Federation (3) If the Eastern Region is allowed by acts of omission or commission to secede from or opt of Nigeria, then Western Region and Lagos must also stay out of the Federation. We know what happened when Eastern Region seceded. Awolowo chickened out and chose to serve in the government of his mortal political enemy

Ojukwu did not make a hasty decision. That's view is Yoruba false narrative of the war. Ojukwu forced Gowon to come to Aburi to address crisis confronting Nigeria. A comprehensive accord called Aburi Accord was reached but Gowon chose not to implement it because it was going to create a decentralized Nigeria impossible for the North to dominate and manipulate. Ojukwu insisted on the sanctity of Aburi Accord. The two Yoruba governors (Adebayo of Western Region and Mobolaji-Johnson of Lagos) who signed the accord chickened out an

General Obafemi Awolowo grin grin
How you people lie to yourselves and believe your own propaganda can be amusing..
There was Gowon on one side and Ojukwu on the other side ( both military officers ) but Uche wanted a civilian Awolowo who just returned from prison with no constituted authority to lead the Yorubas to golgotha.

Curiously, the Igbos often discuss Azikwe's involvement in the war in hush tones .
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 5:09am On Jan 06, 2022
Indeed you are SOPHISTICATED slowpoke!

Gazzy88:
Anything ibos does today, Yoruba has done and left it years ago. This people are fighting the reality that yorubas are miles ahead of them. They are doing everything possible to pull us down so they can take our place but the more they try, the harder it gets for them. Anything or anyone that stands against their agenda to dominate Yorùbás, they strive to hate and ridicule it.

They don't just hate tinubu for hating sake, they hate him because he has Lagos in his pockets which doesn't go well with ibos. They hate the whole yorubas cos Lagos falls on our laps and ibos find it difficult to admit the reality.
Re: The Superiority Of The Western Region In 1969 As Published By NY Times by Uchek(m): 3:16pm On Nov 13, 2022
First of all, what is your ethnic nationality?

Second, nothing goes arroud comes around. Yes, Zik was the beginning of Ndigbo problem because of his addiction to One Nigeria instead of addiction to Igbo independence. Similarly, Awolowo was also the problem of Yoruba because he fought for independent One Nigeria like Zik instead of Yoruba independence -- especially after the rejection of his suggestion of inclusion of secession clause in the constitution. But Ndigbo had an Ojukwu to correct the mistake of Zik by talking Ndigbo out of Nigeria.

Unfortunately, Yoruba didn't have n Ojukwu to correct the mistake of Awo and Zik at independence. Instead, Awolowo committed a worse mistake by going to war to force Nigerian to remain one under the domination of Hausa/Fulani oligarchy, Zik never went to war or kill Yorubas to keep Nigeria one. Awolowo dies a frustrated and disillusioned man. He was used by the North to fight Biafra for the phantom promise of becoming the next civilian president and dumped after achieving Biafra's defeat. When he attempted to claim his promise, they delivered a death blow to his ambition in 1979 and 1983 which he never recovered until his demise in 1987.

Drogunov:

What goes round comes round. Zik was the beginning of Igbo people's troubles.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Imo Police Rescue Man And His Friend Abducted By Unknown Gunmen (Video) / 2023: Benue Youths Blast Atiku, Set To Revoke The Tiv Title Given To Him / Don't Declare Niger Delta Republic - Edwin Clark Begs Militants

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.