Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,212 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:29 AM

Local Government Work/modern Slavery? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Local Government Work/modern Slavery? (717 Views)

Local Government Registry Vs Federal Registry / Iya Laje General Of Oshodi-isolo Local Government Distributes Stimulus Relief Pa / Is This Kind Of Job Not More Of A Slavery For A Married Woman,please Advise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Socsed(m): 1:54pm On Oct 07, 2019
Not until today, did I know that working with a local government in some states is just like being jobless. I paid an extended family member a visit this morning. It was obvious he was bothered. I was prompted to ask if all was well. He said the country is just too unbearable.
During our discussion, he told me his basic salary was #11,500. A level G9 officer. The other allowances plus his basic salary is #29,500. Tax, Pension, e.t.c would still be deducted. How do we justify this? Someone with 3 kids and a wife. What if he doesn't have anything else to support the family with?
As a final year student, I'm so baffled haven heard this. Do we actually have a future in this country?
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Richy4(m): 2:12pm On Oct 07, 2019
It's not easy any where. that's why planning is good especially Family planning. Everyone need to know how many kids they can take care of except when they arrive in twos.. Even at that one can still do something...

One of the reasons the Chinese were doing well was because they tackled their impending population explosion..They made a law that everyone must have one kid. it was recently they amended the law and it's now 2 kids.. If anyone got more than one, that one will be treated as an outcast because he/she will not benefits or enjoying what other kids or his counterparts were enjoying .. the parent will have to be the one to pay for everything out of their own pocket for that extra kid.. U can just imagine if that law comes to Nigeria.
smiley

3 Likes

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by yomi007k(m): 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2019
Richy4:
It's not easy any where. that's why planning is good especially Family planning. Everyone need to know how many kids they can take care of except when they arrive in twos.. Even at that one can still do something...

One of the reasons the Chinese were doing well was because they tackled their impending population explosion..They made a law that everyone must have one kid. it was recently they amended the law and it's now 2 kids.. If anyone got more than one, that one will be treated as an outcast because he/she will not benefits or enjoying what other kids or his counterparts were enjoying .. the parent will have to be the one to pay for everything out of their own pocket for that extra kid.. U can just imagine if that law comes to Nigeria.
smiley

I fully agree with you.

This is the same thing I tell most people but they seem not to understand.

It is not easy anywhere but the money small sha. Somebody like that should not have more than a kid unless the wife earns good.
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Nobody: 4:02pm On Oct 07, 2019
No disrespect, but the average Nigerian is a dunce. I have a monthly combined income with my wife that can take care of a family of 6, 4 kids and 2 adults conveniently but I have chosen to have 2 kids yet the pressure I receive is unbelievable that I need more kids. With the 4 family members, we are doing ok and are happy but some folks wouldn't just mind their business. I can afford a lit bit of luxury for the kids, if I had 6 kids, all they would receive will be just basic necessities.
What exactly do I need more kids for? I'm happy, so why are others bothered? To think I have 'the desired sex' yet they are so concerned that I need more kids. That's the reason why a lot of people live in penury. A man earning 30k has no business having more than 1 kid, that is if he should even have kids in the first place.
I like the China example, whilst kids are a joy to have, it costs money to raise them. Nigerians should learn to mind their business and not bother people about having kids.

11 Likes

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 07, 2019
N29,500.

Before tax and pension?
What da fuq?

The way we focus on the man's salary alone sha. What is the woman doing? Only a delusional person would think the old approach is okay in the modern Nigeria. Only Neds and few working class men can afford that.

Then 3kids? That is too much.

Very soon the first child will take up the role of assistant father/mother.

3 Likes

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Rozan10: 5:57pm On Oct 07, 2019
na wa

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by debbydee(f): 10:10pm On Oct 07, 2019
Good evening all. I just have to comment on this. The OP never mentioned that its because of the children that's why the brother is earning a low pay. Even with wife alone that money is extremely poor. Now back to the discussion on having children its God who gives children and he alone can decide if its going to be single or multiples. What if these children are triplets. What happens.
My thoughts though.
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Gold45(f): 1:55am On Oct 08, 2019
debbydee:
Good evening all. I just have to comment on this. The OP never mentioned that its because of the children that's why the brother is earning a low pay. Even with wife alone that money is extremely poor. Now back to the discussion on having children its God who gives children and he alone can decide if its going to be single or multiples. What if these children are triplets. What happens.
My thoughts though.

Thats exactly what some people kept saying till they gave birth to 15 children

@topic, 29,500 is workable if you can be strict with your finances. House rent: not nore than 85k annually.
School fees per child must not be more than 20-25k per term,
Wife must have a business, its a must and the wife should cover home expenses, toileteries, and support the husband with the feeding.

Most importantly, husband and wife must have a weekly/monthly contribution they subscribe to.
Lastly, no more children please angry

1 Like

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Nobody: 9:05am On Oct 08, 2019
AntiBrutus:
N29,500.

Before tax and pension?
What da fuq?

The way we focus on the man's salary alone sha. What is the woman doing? Only a delusional person would think the old approach is okay in the modern Nigeria. Only Neds and few working class men can afford that.

Then 3kids? That is too much.

Very soon the first child will take up the role of assistant father/mother.

Most local govt jobs na to mark attendance register end of the month. Their real money is in different shakedowns. U see them all over Lagos, removing license plates and engaging in acts of entrapment
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by frozen70g(f): 9:24am On Oct 08, 2019
debbydee:
My thoughts though.

If you want just 2 or 3 kids and you have twins, triplet, quadruplet, quintuplet, sixtuplet, stop there, you can't be struggling to survive with those minors suffering from your inability to know when to stop breeding

1 Like

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Acidosis(m): 9:32am On Oct 08, 2019
If this post is all you discussed then your visit to your extended family was unproductive.

Did he sign a bond that says he can't leave the job for life or run a business to compliment his pay?

I think a significant part of your discussion (in future) should be channeled on how to improve his life and the wellbeing of his family.

I don't think having 3 children is the issue. 3 is still a decent number to raise. The problem is limiting himself to the local government job. Nothing is permanent in life so even if you have 3 kids today because of your current fat salary, are you gonna kill 2 when you lose the job?

1 Like

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by 24kmagic: 10:53am On Oct 08, 2019
This post will make front page
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Richy4(m): 12:53pm On Oct 08, 2019
debbydee:
My thoughts though.

I don't think OP needs to mention that it was because of the children madam. It's just common sense. Any blind man that's into Finance or Financial conscious will quickly pick it up especially when such an outrageous amount was mentioned as salary and the number of kids involved.

He's gonna pay rent
Children's school fees
groceries for 5 people
Bills like electricity, water and Transportation
Cloths for the kids. All these on how much? He would have been comfortable with a kid until his financial situation improves. U can't just give birth to kids you can't take care of waiting for God to take care of them... That will be tempting him... Besides the good book says tempt not the Lord your God
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by BetterPoison: 2:08pm On Oct 08, 2019
thelastorca:

Most local govt jobs na to mark attendance register end of the month. Their real money is in different shakedowns. U see them all over Lagos, removing license plates and engaging in acts of entrapment
at the bolded, you are entitled to your opinion

1 Like

Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Oct 08, 2019
BetterPoison:
at the bolded, you are entitled to your opinion

Wetin? We have all done NYSC.we know what's up.
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by helinues: 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2019
No syllabus for " life is not fair " in Universities/Colleges

So deal with it
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by LadySarah: 9:03pm On Oct 08, 2019
He should have a side gig atleast.
Re: Local Government Work/modern Slavery? by alphaNomega: 5:07am On Oct 10, 2019
Richy4:

smiley

That law covers you in China because the government actively supports/subsidies your family expenses in a way. Today in Nigeria, even if you have one child, how does the government help you? Nigeria is a sorry case. SARS is murdering enough young people every week as an effective means of population control.

(1) (Reply)

Work From Home: Some Essential Tools For Effectiveness / Get Your Affordable Kitchen Appliances Here / I Am Playing Safe Mode

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.