Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,750 members, 7,831,396 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:10 PM

Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' (37441 Views)

Foursquare Church Suspends Boniface Igbeneghu Over Sex For Marks Scandal / OAU Sex For Marks: What Monica Osagie Told Panel – Counsel / Monica Osetobe Osagie Is The Student In Sex For Marks Scandal – OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by MikkySexy23(m): 10:14am On Oct 10, 2019
luminouz:
grin

Funny thing is,he may be guilty as hell but can they prove it? Without proof,they end up looking like deranged chickens.

The girl has taken down her tweet? Why? She may have realised that her so-called friend who gave her the info either has no proof or she has none too.

Conclusion:

Emotions without logic get you killed. Be cool,even cold to get your facts right and strike while your enemies least expect. Not jumping on SM making claims you can't substantiate.
A snake and a lion are different animals but you kill them exactly same. You never leave them alive or they can still bite you.

No, No... Most of the ladies of old don't have 'any material' evidences to show to prove these allegations of non-consents and misdoings of the lecturers. The technology available then was not as it it now. Yes, moving forward now, everyone has to be more aware and guided in our talks as it can be mis-construed to mean something else. For men, follow the Neymar example of having solid evidences to defend yourself too, if there is need for it..
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by OyiboOyibo(m): 10:15am On Oct 10, 2019
When they rush to comment just to trend online without proofs.... Lazy and myopic Nigerian youths
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Wikerised(m): 10:18am On Oct 10, 2019
Emilokoiyawon:
She don jam better lawyer...if she does not prove her claims then she should get ready to pay some serious damages.
I pray the lady can provide an evidence o, if not. Hmm
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by jaxxy(m): 10:20am On Oct 10, 2019
respect80:

Stop allowing emotions becloud ur rational sense of judgment.
You think by merely calling out people to testify in her favor will automatically make the lecturer guilty before the law?

There's a technical difference between evidence and witness so don't get it twisted.

Doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. Just they can’t prove it.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Odianose13(m): 10:24am On Oct 10, 2019
MrBrownJay1:
Arrant rubbish.... they are guilty, all their tricks won't work.

Go and face your studies. If you don’t know the law, don’t make silly statements like the stupid twitting lady!

#noevidence

1 Like

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by successking401(m): 10:25am On Oct 10, 2019
[quote author=godlyguy post=82996344]

https://www.thecable.ng/unilag-lecturer-threatens-to-sue-social-media-user-over-defamatory-tweet[/quoteFassy Yusuf, a lecturer at the University of Lagos, has asked Precious Okhimamhe, a social media user, to provide evidence of sex-for-grades allegation she levelled against him.

In the heat of a BBC documentary exposing randy lecturers at the University of Lagos, many had taken to Twitter to share their experiences.

Tweeting via the handle @pretyprexy, Ohkimamhe had said a friend of hers listed Yusuf as a randy lecturer.

“A friend of mine who graduated from Unilag just told me some names. Dr Fassy Yusuf . . . Your time is coming. #SexForGrades,’” she had written in the tweet which went viral.

But in a letter dated October 9, Yusuf gave Okhimamhe seven days to prove this allegation of face legal action.

“In the last forty or so hours, I have been inundated with phone calls, messages and visits in respect to a libellous, scandalous and disparaging statement you posted on your Twitter handle on Monday, 07 October 2019 at about 1.13p.m and circulated globally,” the letter read.

“As a lawyer, a former public officer, a notary public, a justice of the peace, a community and religious leader, an international scholar and professional, a newspaper columnist, a social crusader, a businessman, among others, your reckless, irresponsible, disconcerting, scandalous and libellous post has lowered and continues to lower my person in the estimation of right-thinking members of the society, especially among my clients, friends, colleagues, associates mentees and students; has caused and is causing me to be shunned, and avoided; and it has exposed and continues to expose me to odium, hatred, contempt and ridicule. Indeed, your false statement cum post has conveyed an imputation on me, disparaged and injured me in my office, profession, calling, business, etc.

“Elementary law requires that “he/she who asserts, must prove”; the onus is therefore, on you to prove and justify the libel against me.

“Consequently, I HEREBY GIVE YOU SEVEN (7) DAYS’ NOTICE TO PROVE AND OR JUSTIFY YOUR LIBEL against me failing which I shall be constrained to institute legal action for the purposes of making you face the consequences of your irresponsible action, restoring my dignity, and claiming damages thereof.”

Okhimamhe, however, has taken down the tweet.

Boniface Igebeneghu and Samuel Oladipo, two of the lecturers indicted in the BBC documentary have been suspended while UNILAG has set up a panel to probe their actions.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Odianose13(m): 10:25am On Oct 10, 2019
Commentor:
Would be funny if she already had video evidence.

grin

Na im she comot the post sharply? Na so!
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Ijawwomaninoyo: 10:25am On Oct 10, 2019
midnighter:
This thing again...why didnt she create a burner/anonymous twitter handle and release this information...

The people you are going against are not kids...they know how to manipulate the system...

These people are ruining the movement by making stupid errors...you will damage the credibility of the case if you dont go about it properly with hard evidence...

That's to tell you how dumb they are, but they will tell you they don't know why they fail. The male that mentioned UNN didn't mention names because he is sensible, that's the difference between a male and a female's reasoning.
If you don't play truancy, you do your assignments and projects promptly, your chance of one on one with a lecture is slim. I knew some students who were going to party and boasting about N2.5k to settle lecturers for missing test.
If he asks for more, who is to blame?
Some even negotiate when they know they are not qualified to be in that school.
Even these part time schools, most of them need the degrees for promotion only, so they are all at work while lectures are going on.
They use to be the very people negotiating with the lecturers because they want to eat their cakes and have it.
If you write your exams well with confidence but someone is failing you, you call for your papers, PERIOD!

1 Like

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by tianshie(m): 10:27am On Oct 10, 2019
I don't see where he denied sexing girls for grades. That's how you know he did it.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by monex(m): 10:32am On Oct 10, 2019
foreshore:

Guess you are his co-hort, reason you are defending him

you didn't answer the first question.

an additional question: why are you sure I am defending him?
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by RillJ(m): 10:35am On Oct 10, 2019
The onus of proof lies on the accuser cum complainats ('he who allege must prove')

Emilokoiyawon:
She don jam better lawyer...if she does not prove her claims then she should get ready to pay some serious damages.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by respect80(m): 10:41am On Oct 10, 2019
RexTramadol1:

Well, that's the problem in this part of the world..... if something becomes so normal, people don't take the initiative to find a way to change the anomaly

You're right about their claim's futility in the law court, so far there's no clear cut evidence

But, this is it

If you'd been to a varsity before, and you see lecturers doing that infact they collect money from guys

It's not convenient from those guys to pay, some even go to bars and ask the students to pay, but even as all that happened with pains to the students involved, they just would not film him cos to them he's doing them a favor

But that doesn't mean the shii didn't happen, in the eyes of the law, they have nothing to prove or, but with a good sense of reasoning one can deduce if the student is being honest with the accusation or not.

Akinwinmi Adeshina was recognizing one of his lecturers who had helped him when he was a student during his visit to the U.S, the man can't prove it cos it's been a long time, but Adeshina said it and snapped with the man and everyone believed it, why? Cos he can't just wake up to say I want to recognize this person, but if it was the man who said he helped Adeshina, it's another case if Adeshina doesn't respond

I don't know if you dig, the law looks for substantial evidence but humanity knows how to decipher the truth from falsity through narratives

It's good to know that you are now on the same page with me.
The truth remains that sex for grades, sex for jobs, sex for promotion etc has been a trend that could be said to be as old as humanity itself or perhaps, human civilization and one would only be a fool to try to to prove it doesn't exist.
However, even from the humanitarian point of view, it is our obligation as humans to make a clear disparity between sex for favors (permit me to say) and RAPE because from some of the comments I have read so far, it seems some people have raised their emotions above the subject matter thereby misinterpreting the subject matter as rape.

With the kind of society we live in where a large population of our women walk around with what we normally call entitlement mentality, it is pertinent to note that there's a difference when a lady strikes a sexual intimacy deal with a man in order to gain favor and when a man unjustly subjects a lady to a condition to gratify him with sexual intercourse before getting what is rightfully hers.
In as much as we have beasts as lecturers, we also have ladies who offer themselves as sacrificial lambs to those beast and will only come out open when things go south.

In conclusion, the case in question here is on the brinks of taking a legal dimension which will eventually require evidence by the accuser in order to prove the suspect guilty and in doing that, the law court may not be relying much on truth from humanity to deliver their judgment but will rather demand for EVIDENCE.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Vikynas: 10:41am On Oct 10, 2019
Rextizzy:
Thunder will strike him there.
are you okay? If na ur father dem dey accuse globally sex for grade u go chop'n swallow am just like that?

1 Like

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Vikynas: 10:43am On Oct 10, 2019
She should give a prove to her claims or face the law
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by freemanonaji(m): 10:45am On Oct 10, 2019
never oppose me when i say Nigeria is a SHITHOLE COUNTRY, i sincerely regret being a nigerian. its so devastating how we as human have decided to accept failure. we have failed our country nigeria. a country were we see evil deeds and yet we compromise to it. its beyound no doubt dat dis devilish acts are committed on a daily basis we see everyday, d video was captured. we werent blind, we say it n we heard every conversations made. what av been done so far? NOOOOOTIN, everyone will come online n say his or her rubbish and walk away n dis act will be forgotten just as we have forgotton abt d devilish act committed in south Africa. now dis heartless bastard now has the mind to sue, even d life of dis lady who has taken this bold step is not safe anymore..... see d acts of rape n murder of our ladies in universities n polytechnic, political insubordination, sexual harassment in our so called institute were morals are meant to be taught. child molestation by close ones, school teachers, neighbors n even family members. what are we doing? Inna lillahi wa inna ilaihi rajiun. May the blood of d deaths that were unheard and victims of these sinful and failed nation never find rest n continue to hunt each and everyone that has failed this nation. Amin.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by respect80(m): 10:48am On Oct 10, 2019
jaxxy:

Doesn’t mean he didn’t do it. Just they can’t prove it.

Lol cheesy
When the lecturer finally sues the lady, you can attend the court case and serve as witness to tell the court that the lecturer is guilty, just that the accuser can't prove it.

One should not get into trouble simply because of social media likes/retweets

3 Likes

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by erico2k2(m): 10:50am On Oct 10, 2019
Emilokoiyawon:
U seem to forget it is the BBC we talking here, or did you not watch it?
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by onime: 10:50am On Oct 10, 2019
What evidence should one provide when a man tap you on the back and says I had love to f-ck you through the back. or when a married man comes visiting your family member, discovers that you are alone. the next thing he does is to hold you and force his kiss on you. I don't allow men to visit me alone. fear them
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by DatFaceLessSage: 10:55am On Oct 10, 2019
Clout Chasing everywhere.She for no delete the tweet nah?As she say she sabi carry rubbish story.Imagine,the friend she was posting for sef
no tweet.Na she be advocate.She don Jam!
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by jaxxy(m): 10:56am On Oct 10, 2019
respect80:

Lol cheesy
When the lecturer finally sues the lady, you can attend the court case and serve as witness to tell the court that the lecturer is guilty, just that the accuser can't prove it.

One should not get into trouble simply because of social media likes/retweets

The question u shud be worried about is, is it the Truth? I’m sure she has an account of her ordeal with details. No jackass randy lecturer shud get away with such behavior. If he doesn’t go to jail he shud be disgraced. He will definitely slip again his name has been noted and these dogs are easy to catch.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by DatFaceLessSage: 10:59am On Oct 10, 2019
Did you read the post?She said it was her friend,not even herself.Isnt that just silly?This goes both ways.While sex for marks is just rubbish,we shouldnt just take everyone crying wolf seriously.A lot of fakers and clout chasers everywhere
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Nobody: 11:06am On Oct 10, 2019
iamJ:
In 100 years time

It will still happen

Happens all over the world

Put women in any thing and they will use sex to try to buy their way through

Make una stop to they act like this is news

The women are part of the problem too but as usual everyone is looking at ii from just one perspective. Why would the women trade their vagina for higher grades if they actually know what they are doing in school? The problem (women offering sex to gain advantage) is deeply rooted in the society and we see it everyday, from banks, to goverment and private establishments and even in nollywood.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Nobody: 11:12am On Oct 10, 2019
chibaby1985:
Students and lecturers... Who do we believe?
don't stress yourself and don't take sides. there are times students lie and there are times lecturers lie. social media is not the right tool to use in picking a side. more often than not time reveals who is wrong or right. apply this in situations where you are faced with opposing sides and you will often remain unbiased
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by domchike(m): 11:13am On Oct 10, 2019
He that live in a glass house should not throw stone to someone inside mud house, Dr Fassy Yusuf should thread with caution all that the girl require is testimony of other victims
godlyguy:
“Elementary law requires that “he/she who asserts, must prove”; the onus is therefore, on you to prove and justify the libel against me.

“Consequently, I HEREBY GIVE YOU SEVEN (7) DAYS’ NOTICE TO PROVE AND OR JUSTIFY YOUR LIBEL against me failing which I shall be constrained to institute legal action for the purposes of making you face the consequences of your irresponsible action, restoring my dignity, and claiming damages thereof.”

Okhimamhe, however, has taken down the tweet.

Boniface Igebeneghu and Samuel Oladipo, two of the lecturers indicted in the BBC documentary have been suspended while UNILAG has set up a panel to probe their actions

https://www.thecable.ng/unilag-lecturer-threatens-to-sue-social-media-user-over-defamatory-tweet

https://ebeanonews..com/2019/10/sex-for-marks-unilag-lecturer-to-sue.html
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by respect80(m): 11:17am On Oct 10, 2019
jaxxy:

The question u shud be worried about is, is it the Truth? I’m sure she has an account of her ordeal with details. No jackass randy lecturer shud get away with such behavior. If he doesn’t go to jail he shud be disgraced. He will definitely slip again his name has been noted and these dogs are easy to catch.

When you start viewing this matter from a logical and legal point of view then I will know that you are ready to talk.

BTW, what do you mean by truth?
Don't forget that even the truth you talk about needs to be proven as FACT before it can be accepted as a basis for judgment.
The law has its standards and not just what everyone says.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by Nobody: 11:21am On Oct 10, 2019
gypsey:
What does sex for marks even mean? i don't get it.

Why would anyone give sex to pass an exam or test? What would be the point of Attending School then? or learning. Sounds like most Nigerian university certificates are Rubbish then, like toilet paper, because they were all obtained using sex.

Next time a Nigerian university students brags about her degrees i will remind her how she got the sexed degrees.

And oh! Is it just female students who give sex for marks?, what about guys do they have sex with their female lecturers too?,

las,las It takes two to tango, why demonise only the lecturers? what about the students? Were they not responsible for their Actions? Did the lecturers force them into sex?

Thank you. They are the dull ones who cannot pass with being assisted. Same way they got into the university where they shouldn't be in the first place. In my final year year project, there was seven of us in the group with one female. She didn't contribute shit besides paying her own share of the project money because she immediately started fucking our project supervisor. She got an 'A' while the rest of us got 'B'. Now that bitch will come out tomorrow and start screaming sexual harrassment. Rubbish!!!
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by jackpot(f): 11:26am On Oct 10, 2019
post=83001962:

Social media will put some people behind jail for the rest of their lives.

You can only tweet something like this with someone's school and name only when you have a concrete evidence.

She was able to put the lecturer's name to the whole world but refused to mention 'her friend's' name.
Who does that?!
It seems that your sense is gradually coming back. A student that failed a lecturer's course can decide to get back at him/her by calling out the person wrongly and laying accusations of sex4grades.

Let's not allow emotions becloud our sense of reasoning. I can remember you urging people to name and shame.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by alsudaes1(m): 11:40am On Oct 10, 2019
SolarKing1:
cry Reminds me of Wande Cole song "Sey na like this we go de dey?" Well, all hope is not lost on Nigeria.
Good News!!! We now do pay on delivery Nationwide!
Calculate the massive amount you yearly spend to fuel your Generator. We offer you Freedom from Generator noise and Nepa bills. Noiseless free Electricity is now a reality. Urgently get your Fueless Solar Gen now. 500Watts for just 68k, very good for Barber Shop, SelfContain Room, Sales Shops, etc. We also have bigger ones: 1.5kWatts, 2.5kWatts, .. up to massive 30kWatts Industrial Solar Generators for Hospitals, Hotels, Filling Stations, etc. Someone you know needs this.
08 02 9 43 540 7

What's the price range for the 1.5kw and 2.5kw?
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by TemmyT002(m): 11:41am On Oct 10, 2019
Hahahaha
The guy don vex ooo

Make his Tory no be like that secondary school teacher who was falsely accused of being a pervert because he was too strict.
Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by cnonyechi(f): 11:50am On Oct 10, 2019
respect80:

Guy, have you ever sat in a court room to listen to judgment being delivered.

I'm not in any way trying to prove the said lecturer is innocent but the law has its standards and one ought to be sure of meeting those standards before accusing anyone.

I repeat, if there's no concrete evidence to ascertain his guilt, the court will always acknowledge a well composed lie than a staggering truth so we should be careful what we say about people especially on SM.
As much as there's freedom of expression, freedom after expression may not be guaranteed in some cases.

You are absolutely right cos if the courts were to judge out of sentiment then many people would be in jail.

1 Like

Re: Fassy Yusuf To Sue Precious Okhimamhe Over Sex For Marks 'Defamatory Tweet' by delishpot: 11:50am On Oct 10, 2019
Cho Cho Cho Cho Cho without proof is a bad thing.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abuse Of Student At Deeper Life College In Akwa Ibom: School Issues Statement / Covenant University Is The Best In Nigeria And West Africa : Photos / Child Abuse At Deeper Life College: Akwa Ibom Governor Udom Orders Investigation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.