Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,812 members, 7,827,985 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 08:43 PM

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (46169 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / What Class Were You, When You Read This Book? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ayanbaba2(m): 8:34am On Oct 19, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Sit down and be humble.
A first class in Yoruba or G&C is as good as your first class in engineering.

leave them Jere!

...as if "engineering" is the ultimate!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by yetunsbay(m): 8:43am On Oct 19, 2019
Omoluabi16:
Sit down and be humble.
A first class in Yoruba or G&C is as good as your first class in engineering.
no mind the guy/peep

2 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Mires: 8:47am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry

If you ask me, I will say that you don't deserve First Class. The pride in you is overwhelming. First Class graduates are humane in nature. Where did you gather your data to ascertain that universities add 0.02 to students in order to boost them to First Class? For your record, what you don't deserve, you don't deserve. I see inferiority complex all over you to be saying that Mechanical Engineering can't be compared to Accountancy and other courses. Says who? Says the man with so much pride of been denied what he didn't merit.

In passing, I have no personal issue with you. All I want to send across to you is that you should learn to be humble. God lifts the humble. Of course you know what He does to the pride.

10 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Harbidexy5(m): 9:00am On Oct 19, 2019
I dont know why some people are so dumb and unrealistic.
We all know that your success in life is always connected with God's favor.
No reasonable successful man can say it blatantly that he knew he would be that rich and successful.
The future is always foggy until it comes to darn on you.

Despite that, people will still be hypocritical around first class graduates. I tell you its worthy of being called an achievement.
Its always an edge over others.
So, plus your skills and ability to solve problems
Team works and always pray for God's favor.
You will surely have a name stamped.

As a matter of fact there is already segregation in every industry.
If you dont have 1st class or 2.1 you won't even have the opportunity to show you have got the needed skills.
Let alone acess to most of the foreign scholarships.
Just get your scores right and work for the best. Dont join them in singing the same song that 1st class graduates are as useless as other grades.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Uzorgod(m): 9:23am On Oct 19, 2019
Is it wise for a 1st class graduate to seek employment in the company of a school dropout or 3rd class graduate?
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Mykel51(m): 9:28am On Oct 19, 2019
Uzorgod:
Is it wise for a 1st class graduate to seek employment in the company of a school dropout or 3rd class graduate?

Yes...he should eschew pride...he can earn, learn and then move to a bigger firm later
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by taiyeayodeji: 9:30am On Oct 19, 2019
having a first class or second class only matters in some cases.what really matters is what you do with what you have.its quiet painful when you are denied what you deserved but I think other factors are considered when giving people a first class.attitude and behaviour matters , they examine the student and see if he is if good behaviour .i think the department sit on every result and decide what to do.if there is no one to speak for you or your favour.then it's finished .so you don't necesary need to blame one person.its a departmental decision

franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Evergreen4(m): 9:41am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

We can use your tears to wet it.
I am sure yours will be Nearly 2.2 grin
chaiii, you're wicked. See uppercut and bad mouth, you didn't even pity the guy smalllll grin
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Evangkatsoulis: 9:47am On Oct 19, 2019
imustmakeit:
please explain what you mean by this cause I don't understand don't compare chemical with mechanical engineering? Is it thermo, fluid mech, unit operation, engine drawing that you did that they didn't do? Aside machines and a few other things...
Air conditioning and refrigeration.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by madridsta007(m): 9:59am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

We can use your tears to wet it.
I am sure yours will be Nearly 2.2 grin

Nearly First Class =4.48/4.49
Nearly Second Class Upper= 3.48/3.49

undecided
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Gepheral: 10:13am On Oct 19, 2019
If you want to get a first class avoid getting the 4.5 type of first class....

Target should be 4.6-4.9 so that in the case you don't meet up you will still land in 4.5,4.51, 4.52 and the likes..

Same way if you are in the university and you are targeting an A, you should never target getting just 70... Your target should be 100.... If any eventualities happen then that u don't get it maybe a particular question was so tough or you made a mistake or something of the sort, you can comfortably still get an A with 80, 85 even 75..

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by trilobite: 10:24am On Oct 19, 2019
Class of degree matters depending on the user. There are people who just want to graduate and get a government Job or go into business and so don't care so much about what they graduate.

While others targeting masters scholarships aim higher when in University.

Both groups can end up being successful in their endeavors based on their determination. I know poor graduates who are doing very well in business and high CGP holders abroad doing research. Anyone complaining about his CGP is confused and doesn't have a life direction.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Eagba(m): 10:40am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
if you studied mechanical engineering in a federal university in the southern part of Nigeria, you will understand that anybody that graduated with 4.48 is actually a first class material, and would have possibly clinched 4.98 if he studied accounting, biz admin, etc.

Have you wondered why engineering students dominate in Nigerian top banking positions in the past Because they always pass the aptitude test more than the arts and social science graduates.

The only people that can rock shoulder with Mech engine grads in Nigeria are MBBS grads undecided

If you did engine drawing, calculus, thermo, advanced calculus, etc, u won't be talking the way u are talking
bra I'll always place civil engineering grad above mechanical eng grad. besides, its quite painful how elect/elect eng guys take the shine of y'll in school. always the proudest and the most sort after by chicks n multi nationals.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by OgaBuhari: 10:44am On Oct 19, 2019
tojahh:

Shut u lipsrsealed

Na your course of study you sabi... Just as e hard you to get first class in Engineering na so e hard me to get first class in library science
are u studying LIS?
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by tksam(m): 10:45am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
if you studied mechanical engineering in a federal university in the southern part of Nigeria, you will understand that anybody that graduated with 4.48 is actually a first class material, and would have possibly clinched 4.98 if he studied accounting, biz admin, etc.

Have you wondered why engineering students dominate in Nigerian top banking positions in the past Because they always pass the aptitude test more than the arts and social science graduates.

The only people that can rock shoulder with Mech engine grads in Nigeria are MBBS grads undecided

If you did engine drawing, calculus, thermo, advanced calculus, etc, u won't be talking the way u are talking

What's your ish with management science courses, last time I checked no one force you to study mech engr.. Stop looking down on others First Class cuz of your inability to make one.. BTW all First Class pay the price

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by OgaBuhari: 10:46am On Oct 19, 2019
RTSC:
I can understand the feeling.

My close friend was on 4.5 or thereabouts from 100level to final year until they shocked him in second semester with two unnecessary C and a D.

The guy dropped from 4.5 to 4.47.

He cried eh.
as in eh the thing can pain seriously
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Nicoddemus(m): 10:48am On Oct 19, 2019
FuckBots:

I was honest with you and said your thread was dry.
Explain how that makes me angry or depressed.
That someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean that person is emotionally defunct. undecided

Must you pick up quarrel over little things? Pack well jor
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by OgaBuhari: 10:49am On Oct 19, 2019
mercyvivv:
Here to learn. 2.2 graduates are the best!
keep quiet, Better study hard next time, stop complimenting your failure.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by firstolalekan(m): 10:52am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

Is it regret or pride? I don't get it,
You are either First class or a Second Class Upper. Deal with it... grin
Dry nonsense
Get a job boi
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Angelacruz: 10:52am On Oct 19, 2019
Such is life
ArticleBeast:
It reminds me of Michael my roommate. Everyday, Michael reminded me that my study of Linguistics was useless. For Michael, studying Chemical Engineering was the passport to good life. Last month, I saw Michael on Lastma uniform chasing Danfo drivers. Trust me, I rolled my window down, screamed Michollo (the Engineer) but shame didn't allow my nigga to come close. I would have at least given him 5000 naira to change his faded uniform grin cheesy
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Angelacruz: 10:53am On Oct 19, 2019
Funny
pocohantas:

Nawa o. Thank God say you no get that First Class, all of us for done leave NL for you.

E be like we go thank that lecturer wey help us clip your wings.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ugosample(m): 11:08am On Oct 19, 2019
luminouz:
*sighs*

Can somebody feel the envy,animosity,stupidity and jealousy dripping on this thread? It's so thick I could slice and butter some loaves with it. Such emotions pouring out of mature humans almost paralysed me. Now,I know who some people are,just by these comments.

One other thing is sure:

None of the commenters (bashers and bashed) had a first class

what is your point
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ugosample(m): 11:11am On Oct 19, 2019
OgaBuhari:
keep quiet, Better study hard next time, stop complimenting your failure.

2.2 is not a failure

Just saying

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by otabuko(m): 11:14am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

It has been years na and you say you are doing well. I don't know of any job that is open to First class and not to 2.1. So, it isn't so bad.

I remember when I was looking for my "first job", there was this nearly first-class guy that had his statement of result alongside a printed copy of its breakdown (lets call it a transcript). It reeked of pride and the HR just tore it off.

I understand how painful it can be, but years later when people have moved on from first degrees- one shouldn't be hanging on to such.
so true, but years later when people have moved on from first degrees- one shouldn't be hanging on to such.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ugosample(m): 11:20am On Oct 19, 2019
Twizzy90:
Mine was 4.45, glory to God that I am way better than the grade. No limit, no regret. The future will be great.

that is the spirit
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by pocohantas(f): 11:27am On Oct 19, 2019
Ugosample:

what is your point

He made none of the above. Which by the way is not a bad thing. wink

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by owowa145(m): 11:38am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Franchasng, I have seen you make this statement too. Why do you see the need to specify that you nearly made a first class?
Wo, i graduated with over 1st class, still no lucrative job #InsideLife cry
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by luminouz(m): 11:41am On Oct 19, 2019
Ugosample:

what is your point

Oh well,

I guess I will just give up on nairaland then.

Can't save them all.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by imustmakeit(m): 11:53am On Oct 19, 2019
Evangkatsoulis:

Air conditioning and refrigeration.
maybe you didn't get my point
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by airsaylongcon: 12:22pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
lol I agree though but some courses ehn, students do run mad studying them.

Some courses are not meant for average students cos they will get brain issue studying it. Do you know how many students who drop out of software engineering courses abroad Can you do coding and programming So tomorrow a first class graduate of dentistry or animal science will be looking down on a 2.1 graduate of software engineering

Even in the rating of IQ there is grading, IQ pass IQ even though two individuals may have high IQ but one will have a higher IQ or intelligence quotient than the other.

You really over rate Coding and programming. Software Engineering is way way more than coding.

And I’m a bit worried about your vacillating comments. First you assert that only Doctors can stand with Mech Eng. Then somewhere else belittle Dentists by asking if they can stand with Software engineering. U do know that Medicine and Dentistry are on the same academic level. Hence they all get registered by the same body the Medical and Dental council of Nigeria.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Habiba Sule Adejoh Graduates With First Class From University College London / Faith Onyekachukwu Ojumah, McPherson University Best Graduating Student (Photo) / Nigerian Twins, Nicole And Niole Graduate From University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.