Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,408 members, 7,822,882 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 06:38 PM

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (46140 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / What Class Were You, When You Read This Book? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by aikyg(m): 7:08am On Oct 19, 2019
It means the school did not give him the first class, even though his cumulative GPA was within the first class range. Most Nigerian schools give you first class based on what they term "Character and Learning". Maybe the university felt that from his character, he would not be able to represent the school properly as a first class material.

pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

Is it regret or pride? I don't get it,
You are either First class or a Second Class Upper. Deal with it... grin
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by MedicH: 7:11am On Oct 19, 2019
They don't write these things in our degree
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by larryking540: 7:12am On Oct 19, 2019
ornicus:

Oya 2.1 olodo, shut up when APC illiterates are talking. For a person who should have had a first class gpa, you seem only interested in the status and not much else.

I am your dad, I finished with a first therefore you must do well in school. I finished with a first, so you better shut up when I am talking. Hr must be third class graduates.

For your sake , I hope you have outgrown your ego. It will be a much bigger impediment . Maybe your 2.1 was Life’s way of putting you in check, other wise every other time you will be telling people , I am a first class graduate, so I know what I am talking about, shut up

If I am not mistaken poco is also a first class grad, and she has never once used that in an argument. Ditto for Jarus. I had one intern with a first. Very mellow guy. You would never have known.

I just tire for the guy o
so as a first class all hail the copy and paste guy who can't solve life problems but very good at coping and pasting.....

I hope he graduated with first class in maths department ooo or else Na still copy and paste u do take pass

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by larryking540: 7:15am On Oct 19, 2019
my secondary school teacher will always say nearly doesn't kill a bird

I wonder how many of your coursemate u must have deceived that u graduated with first class not knowing it was 2.1

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by olatunyemi(m): 7:15am On Oct 19, 2019
mrphysics:

I hope you know the above emboldened statement is a statement of pride?

Why do Nigerians derive joy in the negativity. It is common to see students say "Only 1 person got an A in that course, half of the class failed it" . And they say it to brag on how their university is difficult.
Common, your lecturers weakness or stupidity shouldn't be a thing of pride.
Yes, I know. One thing I realized was that he was protecting me from sadists (lecturers) who will still fail me if I choose electives. But I later realized it's worth trying. That's the mistake.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ademoore07(m): 7:17am On Oct 19, 2019
O.A.U. Ife comes to mind. They can be very wicked in grading students in such way. Franchasng

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by miniziter(m): 7:21am On Oct 19, 2019
I blame Nigeria system. We worship certificate rather than what we the person can offer. I finished with second class lower from a university while my brother finished with a distinction from a polytechnic. Believe I am beast and more active and smarter than him in real world.

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by larryking540: 7:31am On Oct 19, 2019
RTSC:
I can understand the feeling.

My close friend was on 4.5 or thereabouts from 100level to final year until they shocked him in second semester with two unnecessary C and a D.

The guy dropped from 4.5 to 4.47.

He cried eh.

Bro if u are a first class candidate and no lecturer know u.,Bro there is problem o....Na them fit fight for u like the case ur friend had, I believe very well he dwelled so much on his power, am sure his friends go day hail am and he will be feeling on top of the world,,,,
I had a friend back in school people say the guy is a first class student,bro I never see this guy with lecturer they solve problem,he was more of anything they say make I write I go write o,,

I remember president Jonathan made a fuse that all first class should be given immediate appointments but I doubt if such still takes place except the first class students has a good relationship with the lecturer and that means u must be smart upstairs not the copy and paste life

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Pilopher: 7:32am On Oct 19, 2019
[3rd class lower in MEE ENGquote author=franchasng post=83010726]it doesn't matter bra, my anger is being denied my merit, not that result or degree matters to me at all.

Is it easy to have a first class in Mechanical engineering

He is comparing first class in Accounting and Business Admin with 1st class in Mech Engine.

1st class in Accounting is equal to 2nd class in Mech Engine angry[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Nobody: 7:34am On Oct 19, 2019
Mine was 4.45, glory to God that I am way better than the grade. No limit, no regret. The future will be great.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Dagger111(m): 7:36am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
it doesn't matter bra, my anger is being denied my merit, not that result or degree matters to me at all.

He is comparing first class in Accounting and Business Admin with 1st class in Mech Engine.

1st class in Accounting is equal to 2nd class in Mech Engine angry

This is the pride they ar talking about. To be candid, bro, u av inordinate self-esteem.

5 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by RTSC: 7:37am On Oct 19, 2019
larryking540:

Bro if u are a first class candidate and no lecturer know u.,Bro there is problem o....Na them fit fight for u like the case ur friend had, I believe very well he dwelled so much on his power, am sure his friends go day hail am and he will be feeling on top of the world,,,,
I had a friend back in school people say the guy is a first class student,bro I never see this guy with lecturer they solve problem,he was more of anything they say make I write I go write o,,

I remember president Jonathan made a fuse that all first class should be given immediate appointments but I doubt if such still takes place except the first class students has a good relationship with the lecturer and that means u must be smart upstairs not the copy and paste life
True.
As a first class student, you need to be close to lecturers.
If not, when they start cutting down the number of graduating first class for that year, you will fall victim.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by smeag0l(m): 7:37am On Oct 19, 2019
Bros, that you studied mech engine doesn't mean it is a mean feat to have a first class in other courses too. Just move on. By the way, in which school did you even study this mech engine sef?cos that matters too. You cant compare a 2-1 from some school with a first class from others. Having said that, I still maintain that all courses are not easy particularly in Nigerian unis. You had a 2-1 cos a lecturer victimized you. What if I told you I had a 2-1 cos I lost interest in the nigerian educational system and just focused on doing things that would earn me money?And I'm not talking about a weak 2-1 here. A 4 point something just like yours. And I'm not having any regrets. Lecturers wanted us to buy handouts and write word for word in other words, cram what is in their handouts. I read textbooks and I never cared to attend their boring lectures. So just move on cos if you keep having regrets it'll impede your success going forward. You're not the first to face this kind of predicament and you'll certainly not be the last!
franchasng:
it doesn't matter bra, my anger is being denied my merit, not that result or degree matters to me at all.

4 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by samwise180(m): 7:39am On Oct 19, 2019
Nearly first class is also called strong 2nd class upper
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Agn201: 7:47am On Oct 19, 2019
It's called a Strong Upper

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by viviangist: 7:49am On Oct 19, 2019
Those that are still writing carry overs for the past 5 Years will be like ..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by larryking540: 7:50am On Oct 19, 2019
RTSC:

True.
As a first class student, you need to be close to lecturers.
If not, when they start cutting down the number of graduating first class for that year, you will fall victim.

most students believe so much on their self forgetting it is the same lecturer that will decide if they should employ u after graduation or not

that's your I call them copy and paste students
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by SolarHub(m): 7:50am On Oct 19, 2019
Chai

kindly check my signature
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Nobody: 7:52am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

We can use your tears to wet it.
I am sure yours will be Nearly 2.2 grin
Babe, what school did you attend that such savagery was bestowed upon you grin cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Juliearth(f): 7:54am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

CGPA ranging from 4.40-4.49 can be tagged as "nearly first class" or borderline 2:1. It doesn't make sense to me though.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:02am On Oct 19, 2019
Saintbusco1:
Bro calm down, the early you know you ain't good for first class the better it is for you... struggling to make first class implies you are in 2.1 category, calculating you CGPA to be 4.51 means you are only good for 2.1 reason been that for you to be a well deserved first class you have to be around 4.6 and above... unilorin alumni will understand... if you are between 4.5 it implies you are good for 4.49 below but your extra effort fetch you that 0.01... On the other end... first class, second class upper/lower or pass doest determine your wealth or success in life... in actual sense people with first class always job hunt after graduating believing their certificate will speak for them( truthfully they can secure a good paying job) while those with pass will shine their eyes and be innovative(because of their low grade) eventually they may end up been a job creator and at the end be the boss....
When will you guys stop that job creator boss nonsense, some people will get more fulfilment in life working for 1st bank than others will as business owners.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by wamide042(m): 8:04am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

It has been years na and you say you are doing well. I don't know of any job that is open to First class and not to 2.1. So, it isn't so bad.

I remember when I was looking for my "first job", there was this nearly first-class guy that had his statement of result alongside a printed copy of its breakdown (lets call it a transcript). It reeked of pride and the HR just tore it off.

I understand how painful it can be, but years later when people have moved on from first degrees- one shouldn't be hanging on to such.

What that guy tore off is called a ‘Student copy’ Students or Graduates don’t and will never have direct Access to their transcripts.

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Dagger111(m): 8:06am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
this thread is for our school days na, abi you see business discussion abi politics here We are here to feel yoopie again, I wanna go back to campus to go rock sweet 16 babes that I missed back then, all the sweet chicks with big ukwu that were crushing on me then and even doing their best to get me on board my stubborn head no free me, it hurts mhen, I wish I can go back and rock them all angry

Abi, after all u have failed in life getting 2.1. So go and rock them all.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by oyinda1599(f): 8:08am On Oct 19, 2019
Chidorx60:

Its obvious that you are intelligent....

But its quite a shame that you are so damn proud.....learn to contain your ego...that was the exact reason you missed out on a first class..and you still have not learnt your lesson
Reading the Mr firstclass comment makes me wanna vomit. Such a thick pride and ego. This same mechanical engineering, a friend graduated with cgpa of 4.85 and there is no fuss about it. You wouldn't even know in him, so cool dude. A very weak first-class and u here disturbing the whole cyberspace.... You can quote and insult me oo, I've got thicker body to take insults and I'm a third class graduate.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by luminouz(m): 8:14am On Oct 19, 2019
*sighs*

Can somebody feel the envy,animosity,stupidity and jealousy dripping on this thread? It's so thick I could slice and butter some loaves with it. Such emotions pouring out of mature humans almost paralysed me. Now,I know who some people are,just by these comments.

One other thing is sure:

None of the commenters (bashers and bashed) had a first class

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Omoluabi16(m): 8:16am On Oct 19, 2019
It's regret, mixed with pride.They like to feel good about themselves..
You ever seen anybody yapping nearly 3rd class, or I got a 2.1 but nearly 2.2. But it's cruel sha.. 3.5 and 4.4 rubbing shoulder.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ProudlyNGN: 8:18am On Oct 19, 2019
ornicus:

Oya 2.1 olodo, shut up when APC illiterates are talking. For a person who should have had a first class gpa, you seem only interested in the status and not much else.

I am your dad, I finished with a first therefore you must do well in school. I finished with a first, so you better shut up when I am talking. Hr must be third class graduates.

For your sake , I hope you have outgrown your ego. It will be a much bigger impediment . Maybe your 2.1 was Life’s way of putting you in check, other wise every other time you will be telling people , I am a first class graduate, so I know what I am talking about, shut up

If I am not mistaken poco is also a first class grad, and she has never once used that in an argument. Ditto for Jarus. I had one intern with a first. Very mellow guy. You would never have known.

Lol i swear to God you said my mind exactly... All i see is an egoistic Rude arrogant Bitch with Pride. 1st class is not all about how intelligent and how academic sounds you are mostly, may be she got it but her ego, rude and arrogance deprived her from that. I graduated with a 4.47 CGPA but that doesn't changemy class of degree to something more than 2.1 and i'm very proud of my efforts. I move on and now i completed my M. Sc, moving on to Phd.

5 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by toprealman: 8:19am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

some had 4.49 CGPA.......in HISTORY oooo. Some schools/ lectures are just something I don't understand.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Omoluabi16(m): 8:19am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:

Sit down and be humble.
A first class in Yoruba or G&C is as good as your first class in engineering.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by sinceraconcept(m): 8:20am On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:

So,a lady of this generation can talk about something like this? Most ladies today talk about guys,sex,love,relationship. Kudos to you for talking about something of this kind though

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by eROCK247(m): 8:25am On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry

Well said.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ugosample(m): 8:33am On Oct 19, 2019
izzou:

I graduated with NEARLY THIRD CLASS.
Please what category do I fall under? undecided

hahahahahaha
wetin man no go see for NL cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Students Lie-Down To Receive Lessons In A Ghanaian School (snapshot) / Contact Me For Any Info About University Of Ilorin / Nigerian Twins, Nicole And Niole Graduate From University (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.