Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,348 members, 7,819,237 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:11 PM

Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? (46116 Views)

"Converting HND To Degree Is Absurd" By Punch Editorial Board / What Class Were You, When You Read This Book? / 5 Departments In OAU Where Bagging First Class Degree Is Almost Impossible (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by airsaylongcon: 12:28pm On Oct 19, 2019
ArticleBeast:

To me all Engineering are useless as long as it is in Nigeria. There are more jobless Engineering graduates than any other course. The average Nigerian Engineering Student lack practical experience of the course he is studying. Imagine an Electrical engineering student not able to fix basic electrical problems. Most can't disembark and couple engines. In fact where are the industries to absolve them after graduation.

Abeg let me go gung-Ho on you? What does it mean to disembark an engine? What does it mean for industries to absolve graduates? Did they commit a crime that they need to be absolved?
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ArticleBeast: 12:30pm On Oct 19, 2019
airsaylongcon:

Abeg let me go gung-Ho on you? What does it mean to disembark and engine? What does it mean for industries to absolve graduates? Did they commit a crime that they need to be absolved?
K
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ojugunrege(f): 12:57pm On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

Is it regret or pride? I don't get it,
You are either First class or a Second Class Upper. Deal with it... grin

Hmm....i understand the feeling perfectly. I would have been in that shoe & maybe still sad � about it.
I completed ND with 'almost distinction' and earnestly desired 1st class at B.Sc.

The nearly syndrome tried to rear its ugly head again but I was favoured. I left with 1st class + 0.01 jara.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by cococandy(f): 12:59pm On Oct 19, 2019
I used to say the same thing because I graduated with a 4.3

Fast forward few years down the line and the certificate is collecting dust somewhere. Lmao

Some things we worry about are not worth the stress to be honest.

3 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by urahara(m): 1:17pm On Oct 19, 2019
owowa145:

Wo, i graduated with over 1st class, still no lucrative job #InsideLife cry

Really?

From which school ?
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Ojugunrege(f): 1:21pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
Chemical engineering is as useless as forestry and bee rearing, so don't compare it with Mech Engine angry

Why am I not dissapointed? My EQ is increasing o ; kiss
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by AlphaT1(m): 1:31pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
if you studied mechanical engineering in a federal university in the southern part of Nigeria, you will understand that anybody that graduated with 4.48 is actually a first class material, and would have possibly clinched 4.98 if he studied accounting, biz admin, etc.

Have you wondered why engineering students dominate in Nigerian top banking positions in the past Because they always pass the aptitude test more than the arts and social science graduates.

The only people that can rock shoulder with Mech engine grads in Nigeria are MBBS grads undecided

If you did engine drawing, calculus, thermo, advanced calculus, etc, u won't be talking the way u are talking
This is a false assertion, IQ is individualized. There are average Engineering graduates as there are in any other course. There are geniuses in other courses as there are in Engineering, delete that mentality that an Engin. graduate is automatically more intelligent than an accounting graduate. It doesn't work that way. I have worked with graduates from diverse fields; engineering, medicine, accounting, physics etc. and I can tell you that IQ, interest, areas of strength etc are factors that come to play.

5 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by AlphaT1(m): 1:40pm On Oct 19, 2019
clems88:
I tell you. The guy has pride angry
Exactly. It is pride. There is no need for that. You can always prove yourself at interviews.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by AlphaT1(m): 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2019
Martinez39:
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahahaha grin. It means he got a second class upper and his CGPA is almost 4.50 (minimum for a first class). Their ego and deep regret at not getting a first class are what make them say such. grin
There is no need for it, what you know is in your head and no one can take it away from you. I made firstclass but it was never on my CV. When I went for interview at Unilag for a lecturing job, it was after evrything that the interviewers asked my grade, I told them and they said no wonder. I was the only one dat got the job out of the 22 candidates interviewed that day...
Your first class is in the brain not on paper.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by owowa145(m): 2:11pm On Oct 19, 2019
urahara:

Really?

From which school ?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by MedicalSamwise(m): 2:17pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
lol I agree though but some courses ehn, students do run mad studying them.

Some courses are not meant for average students cos they will get brain issue studying it. Do you know how many students who drop out of software engineering courses abroad Can you do coding and programming So tomorrow a first class graduate of dentistry or animal science will be looking down on a 2.1 graduate of software engineering

Even in the rating of IQ there is grading, IQ pass IQ even though two individuals may have high IQ but one will have a higher IQ or intelligence quotient than the other.

No pun intended but that Dentistry you mentioned is no child's play. Anything medical related is not meant for dummies. A 2.2 graduate of anatomy will finish with first class elsewhere. Anatomy, MEDICAL biochemistry, pharmacy, pharmacology, medicine etc no be moi moi o... And besides, there's nothing like first class in dentistry. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by urahara(m): 2:34pm On Oct 19, 2019
owowa145:

University of East London ooo, baba i tire. Most companies sey make i go start my own business like its a crime to av 1st class.

Nawao . So the legends were right after all that not all first class graduates get jobs.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by mechanics(m): 2:34pm On Oct 19, 2019
Hahahahah, na 2.1 joor
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by deltateam: 3:43pm On Oct 19, 2019
airsaylongcon:

You really over rate Coding and programming. Software Engineering is way way more than coding.

And I’m a bit worried about your vacillating comments. First you assert that only Doctors can stand with Mech Eng. Then somewhere else belittle Dentists by asking if they can stand with Software engineering. U do know that Medicine and Dentistry are on the same academic level. Hence they all get registered by the same body the Medical and Dental council of Nigeria.

Don't mind those spewing saliva from their mouths. Every course has challenges.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by owowa145(m): 4:05pm On Oct 19, 2019
urahara:

Nawao . So the legends were right after all that not all first class graduates get jobs.
Very right bro
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by smartkester(m): 5:39pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

You won't understand how much it pains until u are in same shoe someday.

What class of degree it is; in student's terms some call it upper 2.1 angry
life isn't that hard, get your transcripts and put it along any application you're submitting so they can know the type of 2.1 you graduated with. It's not so complicated the way we see it after all most of the scholarships going on would still demand for your transcripts, so you shouldn't be pained though I understand how it feels but nonetheless your transcripts will give a crystal clear point of the kind of student you were.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by smokeyupu(m): 5:41pm On Oct 19, 2019
pocohantas:
Some time ago I was having a talk with some friends and the state of Nigeria's educational system came up- then talk of degrees.

One person among us said he graduated with NEARLY FIRST CLASS. I was wondering what class of degree is that. He isn't the first person I would see say such, as I just saw a post like that on NL.

Is it regret or pride? I don't get it,
You are either First class or a Second Class Upper. Deal with it... grin
He's probably a 2.2 or a 2.1... No two ways
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Saintbusco1(m): 9:39pm On Oct 19, 2019
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

some people will get more fulfilment in life working for 1st bank than others will as business owners.
in the same vein some people will find more fulfilment in life as his own boss than some bankers
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Raylight2(m): 9:45pm On Oct 19, 2019
franchasng:
all my school mates knew I was a first class student, they expected a first class, I missed out with 0.02 and landed at second class upper, all because I refused to bow down to a useless Nigerian lecturer, so even though it is a second class upper, it hurts knowing it was supposed to be 1st class cos most schools would have augmented it to assist the student and to boost their own school's profile, of what benefit is withholding the 0.02 to them And I am not regretting anything because I did more than what I was supposed to do, I didn't even lived campus life all because of dedication to studies...it is more of anger than regret....anger that one stupid lecturer made me miss it, and waiting for an opportunity to deal with that lecturer or any of his likes in future, call it vengeance, I agree undecided

Most of my course mates blamed me though that I should have just acted like a Roman since I was in Rome, but I am stubborn in such things, I rather lose out than bow to Pharaoh and reason I don't like Buhari too no matter what people say, if Buhari give me an appointment, I will publicly reject it and reject him!!

lol.. u had found a way to squeeze 'Buhari' into this sha. nawa o
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by IzzyyUnique: 12:05am On Oct 20, 2019
franchasng:
Chemical engineering is as useless as forestry and bee rearing, so don't compare it with Mech Engine angry

Chemical engineering is as useless as forestry and bee rearing? joke of the century! Why y'all mech students always so bitter towards Chemical engineering students? Huh!
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by 0neal(m): 5:17am On Oct 20, 2019
ornicus:

Sharap dia. ITIBOLIBO . your 1st in wayotistics is equivalent to a pass in mech engineering angry

Sir Kazeem grin grin grin lipsrsealed

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Magnoliaa(f): 9:02pm On Oct 27, 2019
These comments are lit grin
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:04am On Oct 29, 2019
Saintbusco1:
in the same vein some people will find more fulfilment in life as his own boss than some bankers
I understand you but I doubt you understand me, because if you do, I don't think you and your ilk will go round town disturbing public peace trying to convince all working people to be ashamed of themselves.
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Saintbusco1(m): 12:11am On Oct 29, 2019
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

I understand you but I doubt you understand me, because if you do, I don't think you and your ilk will go round town disturbing public peace trying to convince all working people to be ashamed of themselves.
well you are a COWBOY
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 12:13am On Oct 29, 2019
Saintbusco1:
well you are a COWBOY
Popular line! That is how the conversation always ends between me and nairaland dimwits whenever they run short of words!
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Saintbusco1(m): 2:28am On Oct 29, 2019
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Popular line! That is how the conversation always ends between me and nairaland dimwits whenever they run short of words!
ADAMU the COWBOY... Yoruba will say oruko rere sanju wura ati fadaka lo... shalom
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 8:46am On Oct 29, 2019
Saintbusco1:
ADAMU the COWBOY... Yoruba will say oruko rere sanju wura ati fadaka lo... shalom
grin grin
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by boiz2men(m): 1:47pm On Nov 09, 2019
franchasng:
it doesn't matter bra, my anger is being denied my merit, not that result or degree matters to me at all.

Is it easy to have a first class in Mechanical engineering

He is comparing first class in Accounting and Business Admin with 1st class in Mech Engine.

1st class in Accounting is equal to 2nd class in Mech Engine angry

Young man. Calm down..

There's so much pride and arrogance in you.

Some of us graduated with the equivalence of first class in a discipline where B is the pass grade for certain courses and in some courses if you get a C, you narrowly escaped additional year ..

Imagine failing just one course and having to spend one more year in school..

Some of us studied a course where you can resit at most once...

Take your first class ME to school of medicine or any medical school, You would sit in the back (that's where unintelligent people sit).

I think you finished from Uniben.

If its uniben, then ME is not even top 3.

Medicine
Law
Others ( ME falls in here)
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by boiz2men(m): 1:55pm On Nov 09, 2019
Chidorx60:

Its obvious that you are intelligent....

But its quite a shame that you are so damn proud.....learn to contain your ego...that was the exact reason you missed out on a first class..and you still have not learnt your lesson

Very annoying piece of junk.

He will definitely humble himself amongst doctors.

We play the pride game better...
Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by boiz2men(m): 2:10pm On Nov 09, 2019
franchasng:
lol I agree though but some courses ehn, students do run mad studying them.

Some courses are not meant for average students cos they will get brain issue studying it. Do you know how many students who drop out of software engineering courses abroad Can you do coding and programming So tomorrow a first class graduate of dentistry or animal science will be looking down on a 2.1 graduate of software engineering

Even in the rating of IQ there is grading, IQ pass IQ even though two individuals may have high IQ but one will have a higher IQ or intelligence quotient than the other.

In my team, I plan the DB design, project structure. I adopt agile methodology to software development. I am currently working with a German firm remotely from Nigeria without a degree in either computer science, computer engineering or your over hyped mechanical engineer.

My appointment letter has the title SENIOR SOFTWARE ENGINEER (Without a degree in engineering)

Have you now seen how rubbish engineering is if you are skillful.

There are first class software engineers in my team, but I design the micro service architecture for them...

I still teach OOP to supposed first class engineers...

Humble yourself chap... I'm a licensed medical practitioner as well as a senior software engineer . Going by your logic, we are not mates and you are way below my status.

First class is first class even if you studied an unknown discipline.

You are no way better than others.

Travel out and see how your first class is rubbished.

4 Likes

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Larrylarex(m): 5:51am On Dec 15, 2019
franchasng:

See, my sister just let it go. A lot of people that are not in this situation won't know what it feels like. I could remember one semester like that I needed straight As to get a first class but I have two B's and 6 As so, I was very upset because the lecturer only did that because I didn't pay for runs and my classmates and hostel mates were telling me I'm not grateful to God and I had no reason to be upset! I told them our capabilities and goals are different, so, don't tell me trash about not being grateful. Do I look like I was praying for an oriyomi upper like you? I know there's nothing in a first class or distinction than mere bragging rights but it feels good when you know you're special and your degree also says so instead of people looking at you like a regular because of your class of degree.

1 Like

Re: Nearly First Class: What Class Of Degree Is This? by Timeforvictory: 11:00am On Jan 05, 2020
What happened with this thread

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Long, Black Snake Killed In UNILAG Postgraduate Hostel / Students Lie-Down To Receive Lessons In A Ghanaian School (snapshot) / Federal University Of Agriculture, Abeokuta 2016/2017 Admissions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.